What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Scout: Early In-State Top 15 Prospects

I think Apodaca will most likely be going to UNC or will be walking on at CU/CSU unless he grows to about 6'2" unfortunately for the kids FBS football is a numbers game and unless you fit into the recruiters formulas of how big a particular position is at the D1 level you most likely won't be playing at the D1 level. Apodaca kind of reminds me of Isenburg from Valor 2 years ago was an outstanding linebacker but at only 5'11" he wasn't big enough for D1.

As far as White I'd say he'd most likely stick to safety get stronger and more explosive and become a real impact player at the D1 level his best days are definitely ahead of him.

Im bias but where do u think B. McDondle is. If I was correct he was close to leading the state in rushing last year.

Apodaca is an interesting one as well. Small for a LB, but good production and his brother is at Wazzu.

Apodaca is a local kid I've watched since 6th grade. Good athlete. Coaches son type. I don't see him getting a D1 ride. UNC?

and where is the love for the rest of the state??? all that matters is the Denver metro area? There are some good athletes from the Colo. Spr. area, Grand Junction, and even Pueblo.

6. Trenton Noller Windsor
A true Center. There are only about 5 of them per cycle that are his level. We should be all over this kid redshirt him let him lean out and so he can be a 3 or 4 year starter whenever he's ready.

As with all OL positions, our center depth is concerning now and especially looking ahead a few years. Handler is a senior this year and we have a year to move Munyer over and then 2015 going forward is a huge question mark. A true center an hour away needs our full attention.

Would like to know more on that one. I doubt you are talking about Justin Holland who played QB there in 2002-05.

Seriously? He didn't just get drafted, he graduated CU in '95, and was a 3rd rounder. Holland played in the league for about ten years, got a ring with the Packers, played for a couple others, and finished with the Broncos. Great Buff!

I think Apodaca will most likely be going to UNC or will be walking on at CU/CSU unless he grows to about 6'2" unfortunately for the kids FBS football is a numbers game and unless you fit into the recruiters formulas of how big a particular position is at the D1 level you most likely won't be playing at the D1 level. Apodaca kind of reminds me of Isenburg from Valor 2 years ago was an outstanding linebacker but at only 5'11" he wasn't big enough for D1.

As far as White I'd say he'd most likely stick to safety get stronger and more explosive and become a real impact player at the D1 level his best days are definitely ahead of him.

Apodaca is a local kid I've watched since 6th grade. Good athlete. Coaches son type. I don't see him getting a D1 ride. UNC?

I think you have Apodaca pegged, although I wonder if he might end up in the MWC somewhere.

As far as White, will be interesting to see how his recruitment progresses. His speed seems to be the big question mark.

You guys are being stupid with Noller's height trust me he is plenty tall enough. For example Vlachos was the strating center from 2009-2011 at Alabama and most Bama fans will admit he was better than Barrett Jones he was literally only 6'0.5" not tall by any means. What matter for a center other than the obvious of snapping the ball is 3 things

1) Scheme and Brains. The center usually makes all of the side protections, LB recognition, blitz recognition, and blocking schemes for zone scheme. Not just anybody can be a D1 center.

2) They need to be flexible able to play with leverage to be able to get under the NT or Shade whoever they are blocking.

3) They need to be strong in the upperbody and EXPLOSIVE.

The only thing I wonder with Noller is his explosiveness that's why I said he needs to redshirt most likely to change his body to become a more explosive and therefor a better center.

With Bernard McDondle I think he has a legitimate shot of going D1.

Much more than his brother. If I recall Cam McDondle had grade issues also that hurt him in recruiting.

FightCu1414 do you know how Bernard's grades are?

A couple questions I have about him are

1) Whats his top speed? It would be wise of him to run track this year if he can show coaches his 100m is under 11 seconds that'll help.

2) How much more is he going to grow if any?

3) How strong is he? especially in the legs.

The thing that'll really hurt him is his size he's only like 5'8" 180 which is under sized for a D1 RB.

I can see him as a pitch back or a screen back. Or maybe even a CB or a Returner depending on his speed.

But he's definitely not a 3 down back at the D1 level.

Last edited:
You guys are being stupid with Noller's height trust me he is plenty tall enough. For example Vlachos was the strating center from 2009-2011 at Alabama and most Bama fans will admit he was better than Barrett Jones he was literally only 6'0.5" not tall by any means. What matter for a center other than the obvious of snapping the ball is 3 things

1) Scheme and Brains. The center usually makes all of the side protections, LB recognition, blitz recognition, and blocking schemes for zone scheme. Not just anybody can be a D1 center.

2) They need to be flexible able to play with leverage to be able to get under the NT or Shade whoever they are blocking.

The only thing I wonder with Noller is his explosiveness that's why I said he needs to redshirt most likely to change his body to become a more explosive and therefor a better center.

Well stated.

And it isn't like he is 5'10". He may be slightly shorter than the idea but there have been a number of solid NFL centers over the years shorter than Noller is now. He also looks to be young enough that another inch or two of height wouldn't be surprising for him in the future.

and where is the love for the rest of the state??? all that matters is the Denver metro area? There are some good athletes from the Colo. Spr. area, Grand Junction, and even Pueblo.

No offense to those kids but most of the talent in this state does come from the Denver metro area especially the elite talent.

Of the BCS kids
7 of 8 came from the DMA in 2013
11 of 13 came from DMA in 2012
6 of 7 came from DMA in 2011

If you look at the high 3 stars and 4 star players the past couple years
2013: Fox, Parsons, Skipper, Del Rio
2012: Miles, Callahan, Kozan, Thurston, Baylis
2011: Willingham, Austin, Yarbrough, Berglund

Simply put the rest of the state doesn't really produce a whole lot of anything.
In the rivals area Colorado has produced 31 4/5 star prospects only 3 are from outside the DMA
Jeff Byers, Joey O'Connor, and Lamarr Houston

I have no real issue with the height. I do have an issue with #3. I just do not see explosiveness jumping off the screen.

There are several prospects a year where opinions vary greatly from the ratings to the individual coaching staffs and everything in between. I think he is one of those prospects for 2014.

With Bernard McDondle I think he has a legitimate shot of going D1.

Much more than his brother. If I recall Cam McDondle had grade issues also that hurt him in recruiting.

FightCu1414 do you know how Bernard's grades are?

A couple questions I have about him are

1) Whats his top speed? It would be wise of him to run track this year if he can show coaches his 100m is under 11 seconds that'll help.

2) How much more is he going to grow if any?

3) How strong is he? especially in the legs.

The thing that'll really hurt him is his size he's only like 5'8" 180 which is under sized for a D1 RB.

I can see him as a pitch back or a screen back. Or maybe even a CB or a Returner depending on his speed.

But he's definitely not a 3 down back at the D1 level.
Thanks for the info. He does run track. And his grades are much better than Cam's but they aren't great by any means. I doubt he will grow, he's taller than Cameron was. Like John Lisella he does need to get a bit bigger. Dude is fast with good vision, and it may have been the surprise factor with the columbine offense, but he is awesome in the pass game. We will see what happens, but I think he can contribute as a back up or special teams player.

#3 is what worries me. If he can greatly improve his upper body strength, Noller will move up my want list.

Regarding Dalton Risner committing to Kansas State...I'm sure we would have offered him eventually, and it may not have made a difference anyways, but memo to coach Mac: It's difficult to get a player to commit when you haven't even offered them a scholarship. He has talked a big game with in-state recruiting and likes to brag about his staff visiting every high school in the state, but getting down to brass tacks, here we have a quality player in our backyard and somehow eight other D-1 schools managed to offer him a scholarship before we have. It's inexcusable.

Regarding Dalton Risner committing to Kansas State...I'm sure we would have offered him eventually, and it may not have made a difference anyways, but memo to coach Mac: It's difficult to get a player to commit when you haven't even offered them a scholarship. He has talked a big game with in-state recruiting and likes to brag about his staff visiting every high school in the state, but getting down to brass tacks, here we have a quality player in our backyard and somehow eight other D-1 schools managed to offer him a scholarship before we have. It's inexcusable.

He was going to be offered at our Junior day tomorrow in all likelihood. Both Mizzou and KSjU waited to offer him until they saw him in person (along with a few other schools) and with a 1A player, that's probably the best way to do it.

So, was he pressured by the Wicked Witch of the East to commit before he visited CU, lest he be diminished in the eyes of Toto and the KjSU coaching staff? If his dad played, he must realize that the they'll once again be the mildcats shortly after Old Bill can no longer coach, you'd imagine. All while the Buffs stand a fair chance to, um, RDT. So what gives? Why not wait for CU's Junior day?

I think McCaffrey and Ballage are a clear top two. Both great players.

1a. McCaffrey
1b. Ballage
3. Jones
4. Risner

I think the 5th spot is up for grabs. Gotta think some OL prospects will garner a lot of attention during the evaluation period.

Isaac Miller seems pretty under the radar still. Mostly contact from CU and FCS programs

Back