What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sean Kearney to replace Abatemarco

I absolutely love this move.

Kearney ran the national recruiting efforts and develpment of the bigs at Notre Dame under Brey. One of the top assistants in the nation.

He'll get back into the game after some time off with this year in the Abatemarco role and then, as Boyle said, step right into a coaching position as soon as Pri and/or Rohn get a HC gig. And I'd be shocked if that didn't happen after this season.

Well-respected, long-time associate HC at Notre Dame; good national recruiting connections; recent on the job exposure to differing coaching styles and techniques....sounds like a very positive replacement for Coach A as DoBOps. Well positioned to move into an assistant's role.

All well and good but I'm awaiting the final definitive word from J-R-K before I fully commit on this hire.

I'm happy with this. Brey runs a solid program and he will undoubtedly have learned valuable knowledge there to be a benefit to the Buffs. This is excellent.

I'd never heard of him before today. Clearly there's red flag for a guy that by all accounts is well-respected, gets his first HC gig after 22 years as an assistant and gets fired after 1 year. But reading about him and what happened at Holy Cross makes that red flag disappear. Holy Cross (clearly not a basketball power) had just come off of 10 years of a coach (Ralph Willard) that went 192-116 and had 4 NCAA tourney appearances. Willard left to go to be an assistant at Louisville for Pitino. Kearney tried to change the playing philosophy to his preferred style, more up-tempo and offensive-minded than Willard’s dogged defense approach. While the team did play faster and were more efficient it came at the expense of defense, which was in the bottom 20% in CBB. Kearney's team wasn't dramatically worse than the 2009 team and they haven't been better sense. Kearny's 2010 team also went 2-10 in games decided by 6 points or less, so if he managed to go .500 in those games he would have gone 15-16 and probably would still be coaching there. Nobody seems to have anything bad to say about his year there, the players simply said it didn't "click." It seems that Holy Cross maybe got a little high and mighty for their Patriot League britches and thought they were better than to have a down year under a new coach that everybody seemed to like.

Reading some articles about him when he was at Notre Dame and Holy Cross it's not a surprise that he's on Tad's staff. Never a great player, but a grinder that somehow always found his way onto a roster. After college spent he spent 5 years at Cigna while being a HS assistant coach, then decided he wanted to be in basketball full time and went to Providence to be an volunteer assistant under Pitino (sound familiar?). Kearney is a total basketball guy, lives, breathes and has given up private sector jobs for a life in basketball. Pretty much the definition of a Tad Boyle guy.

Welcome aboard

Based on Ringo's article Boyle expects Kearney to become an assistant after either Pri or Rohn leaves

I absolutely love this move.

Kearney ran the national recruiting efforts and develpment of the bigs at Notre Dame under Brey. One of the top assistants in the nation.

He'll get back into the game after some time off with this year in the Abatemarco role and then, as Boyle said, step right into a coaching position as soon as Pri and/or Rohn get a HC gig. And I'd be shocked if that didn't happen after this season.

I'm amazed it hasn't happened yet. Both Pri & Rohn have had people sniffing around them and both will be good head coaches some day. That said, if they want to stick around even longer, I'm more than happy to keep them here. We're really lucky to have them here.

Back