What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Season ticket renewals are already down 4%

In short, the solution was to do what everybody not named Phil or Bruce expected, fire Hawk, start over. That ship has sailed and now they have no choice but to ride out the storm. If they had any sense, they would have given a 5% discount on the season tickets if renewed before April 1, 2010. They would have had some kind of promotions other than a one in 20,000 chance to win a Buff jersey to renew. They really haven't given anybody an incentive to stay the course. It's the same old same old, "Hey, you guys aren't loyal if you don't keep buying tickets, even though we haven't listened to the massses". I truly believe these guys have little business sense. People who work in the public sector can begin to get those blinders that make them think the revenue will always be there, no matter what.

well put man, standing pat and calling people names certainly isn't a good option, what you describe above would have been a solid start.

Here's what they can do to save this situation: Bohn comes out and says that the bare minimum number of wins necessary for Hawkins to retain his job is 9. Win nine games, and he stays. Win 8 or less, and he's toast. That nine can be any combination of regular season, CCG, or bowl games. Do that, and it sends a message to the fans that they indeed do have expectations at the CU athletic department. It shows a commitment to the fans that mediocrity is not acceptable. Frankly, we've seen nothing out of this administration that shows that. The fans have been patient. Our patience is gone. We can reluctantly accept that Hawkins will remain as our coach for the 2010 season. However, if you want us to continue to support the program financially, you need to show a commitment to winning.

Bohn will never do that. But if he did, he'd see season ticket renewals shoot up immediately. Oh, and he should bring beer back into the stadium. That would help, too.

Here's what they can do to save this situation: Bohn comes out and says that the bare minimum number of wins necessary for Hawkins to retain his job is 9. Win nine games, and he stays. Win 8 or less, and he's toast. That nine can be any combination of regular season, CCG, or bowl games. Do that, and it sends a message to the fans that they indeed do have expectations at the CU athletic department. It shows a commitment to the fans that mediocrity is not acceptable. Frankly, we've seen nothing out of this administration that shows that. The fans have been patient. Our patience is gone. We can reluctantly accept that Hawkins will remain as our coach for the 2010 season. However, if you want us to continue to support the program financially, you need to show a commitment to winning.

Bohn will never do that. But if he did, he'd see season ticket renewals shoot up immediately. Oh, and he should bring beer back into the stadium. That would help, too.

I've heard the whisper number is 8 wins to stay, but who knows if that is people just making **** up to keep donations coming in.

I would renew tomorrow if Bohn did this. It would show an actual commitment to winning. But we all know that's not happening.

Beer is in the hands of the Regents, not Bohn. He and I have discussed that one via email.

I've heard the whisper number is 8 wins to stay, but who knows if that is people just making **** up to keep donations coming in.

i'd be willing to bet that 7 and maybe even 6 with a bowl would be enough. but, i get your carrot-stick point about donations.

Could be, but to sacky's point a whisper number does no good. Come out and lay it on the line. Throw down the gauntlet. Do something to show us fans that they actually care about results and not just taking our $$.

In a similar theme to Sacky's post, the AD needs to be straightforward with fans. We are past the point of playing on emotions and assuming that will be enough to put butts in the seats. I think one of the horrible legacies of this Hawkins era is that everything surrounding the football program has some esoteric feel at the expense of honest discussion. At a certain level, I expect there to be coachspeak and general damage control done by the AD, but that is seemingly all we hear these days. At some point, people need to hear something concrete.

For me, MB's credibility is so weak, I don't believe those whispers. After keeping Hawk following a fourth losing season where the Buffs got run by a MAC also ran, CSU and finishing 3-9, why would I believe winning is the main concern? Add in the post-season "revised" goal of "Being in the top half of the Big 12", and it is hard to take an 8 win number seriously.

Last edited:
Could be, but to sacky's point a whisper number does no good. Come out and lay it on the line. Throw down the gauntlet. Do something to show us fans that they actually care about results and not just taking our $$.

The question then becomes do you fire him after he loses game 5 or wait until the end of the year? and if you fire him after lose 5 do you have a head coach ready to pull the trigger on immediately after the nubs game? do you announce mid season? do you wait until the end of the year and start a normal search?

The question then becomes do you fire him after he loses game 5 or wait until the end of the year? and if you fire him after lose 5 do you have a head coach ready to pull the trigger on immediately after the nubs game? do you announce mid season? do you wait until the end of the year and start a normal search?

Sure. Can him as soon as he is mathematically eliminated from keeping his job. That works for me. Then hit the pavement hard to find a replacement to save what's left of the recruiting class.

I wish we could write a contract that says Hawk's base salary is 100k and he gets 100k bonus per win. 200k bonus for winning the north, 500k bonus for winning the big 12 and a 1.5 million bonus for winning a national title. We would have been out 400k the past few years and if he actually wins it all, it is worth every penny. Too bad no coach would agree to that.

i agree that the AD should be straight with the fans. i think it's the credibility gap with both Bohn and the Head Coach that has most fans angry--along with losing. accountability seems to always be phrased in indirect or deflecting perception steering ways at best.

You're subsidizing those who cannot or will not do it themselves.

sounds to me like he's taking advantage of the lower renewal rate to get better seats on down the line....which, while a pretty good gamble IMO, is hardly a "collectivist" motive. i think you are reaching here, sacky.

A whisper number can always be changed and does nothing to show any commitment on the part of the administration. An announced number is as transparent as it gets. It lets the fans know what is expected, it lets the coaches know what is expected, it lets the players know what is expected. If you do that (which they won't, but for the sake of argument), you fire him immediately after they lose their fifth game. On the spot. Done. Replace him with Cabral in the interim and begin a nationwide coaching search. If they lose five games, they're going to suck anyway. No use dragging it out for the entire season. Frankly, it's this kind of attitude that the fans have been craving for a long time. I'm not confident we'll see it.

sounds to me like he's taking advantage of the lower renewal rate to get better seats on down the line....which, while a pretty good gamble IMO, is hardly a "collectivist" motive. i think you are reaching here, sacky.

Interesting perspective. I figured he was doing it just to help the cause and not be a 'bad' fan. If it's purely seflish on his part, I applaud him.

Have you EVER heard an athletic director come out and say a certain number of wins is required?

If Dan Hawkins is required to win 9 games, how many games is the NEXT coach going to be required to win? Given CU's lack of commitment to facilities, and the impossibility of recruiting marginal academic students to this University, why on earth would ANY decent coach want to come to CU?

Buy low, sell high. One way to look at this is as a quasi-real estate transaction. Location, location, location.

For new buyers, if ever there were a time to buy season tickets with the long term goal of getting good seats, this is the year.

For existing buyers with sideline seating inbetween the 20's, if you are not renewing, you might have to buy back in with crummier seats.

I wonder if some scalpers are using this rough patch to exploit some better seating?
It would chap my hide if a bunch of nubs bought season tickets for the NU game and end up putting the rest on stubhub.

Last edited by a moderator:
I purposely chose nine instead of 8 based on the still unsubstantiated rumor that UGA may be backing out of the game in Boulder this year. If they have to be replaced by Northern Colorado, Weber State, Wyoming, NMSU, etc, then the chances of an 8 win season are greatly enhanced. Hawk has to prove something. He can't just skate through a depleted schedule.

why on earth would ANY decent coach want to come to CU?

Because they can have 4 straight losing seasons and still have a job?

Coaches know their job is to win. How many other Big 12 schools would keep a coach after 4 straight losing seasons? Requiring a firm # of wins in year 5 is not unreasonable.

Have you EVER heard an athletic director come out and say a certain number of wins is required?

If Dan Hawkins is required to win 9 games, how many games is the NEXT coach going to be required to win? Given CU's lack of commitment to facilities, and the impossibility of recruiting marginal academic students to this University, why on earth would ANY decent coach want to come to CU?

Oh come on. You make it sound like we're some backwater Div II school with nothing going for it. Lots of coaches would want to come here.

As for the question about an AD coming out and saying a certain number of wins is required; No, I can't recall that ever happening before. This is a different situation. They already shat the bed with regards to showing a commitment to winning by retaining Hawk in the first place. Now they are stuck in a situation that they are losing season ticket holders at an alarming rate. They can either insult their fans (which they've done) or they can do something to address the issue that is keeping fans from purchasing the season tickets. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Do they want season ticket renewals or don't they?

Buy low, sell high. One way to look at this is as a quasi-real estate transaction. Location, location, location.

For new buyers, if ever there were a time to buy season tickets with the long term goal of getting good seats, this is the year.

For existing buyers with sideline seating inbetween the 20's, if you are not renewing, you might have to buy back in with crummier seats.

I wonder if some scalpers are using this rough patch to exploit some better seating?
It would chap my hide if a bunch of nubs bought season tickets for the NU game and end up putting the rest on stubhub.

We've moved our seats around a couple times in the last 3-4 years. Even with 22k+ season ticket holders, there is plenty of room for new buyers. It will be even moreso when they drop below 20k this year.

I purposely chose nine instead of 8 based on the still unsubstantiated rumor that UGA may be backing out of the game in Boulder this year. If they have to be replaced by Northern Colorado, Weber State, Wyoming, NMSU, etc, then the chances of an 8 win season are greatly enhanced. Hawk has to prove something. He can't just skate through a depleted schedule.

I think CU will struggle to win 5 games, let alone 8 games.

I see games AT Cal, against Georgia, AT Mizzou, AT Oklahoma, AT Nebraska as 100% guaranteed losses.
I consider the games AT Kansas and against KSU to be likely losses.
I am not at all thrilled with the prospects of another neutral site game against CSU and who knows what Texas Tech will do this year. Baylor and Iowa State are improved teams.

I.e. I would love it if Bohn would throw your 9 game requirement out there because there is only a snowball's chance in Hell that Hawkins will win 9 games this year.

I have to say I wouldn't be the least bit bothered if a bunch of nubs bought tickets from CU for a UNL game at Folsom this season. In fact, I think the AD needs to start a marketing campaign in ****braska aimed directly at those buyers... :thumbsup:

I have to say I wouldn't be the least bit bothered if a bunch of nubs bought tickets from CU for a UNL game at Folsom this season. In fact, I think the AD needs to start a marketing campaign in ****braska aimed directly at those buyers... :thumbsup:

:pissed::pissed3:

Ooohhh that just makes my blood boil.

(;

This might not be that silly of an idea. CU purchases a new jumbo tron. Then they sell tickets to all the nub fans in Colorado to watch the game at Folsom on the new jumbo tron. If these morons will pay $80 per ticket to see a sping game they will spend $40-$50 to watch a real game on a jumbo screen right?

you were hoping for 20-30%?
**** YOU.

Regardless of hawks performance on the field 20-30% hit in ticket sales would take us completely out of Division 1, glad that was your goal.

Lack of donations does not push you out of division 1..... I for one agree with not renewing to get rid of hawk. Clearly Bohn needs a strong signal that mediocrity is not acceptable at this program and he has not taken any other hints so far. So maybe he will understand this one. I would rather our budget suck for one year and get hawk out than live with 4 more years of hawk love in Boulder

Interesting perspective. I figured he was doing it just to help the cause and not be a 'bad' fan. If it's purely seflish on his part, I applaud him.

I've got an 19 month old son. We'll be going to games together for the rest of my life. I want to support this program as best I can to make sure the team is good. And I want to lock in the best seats and parking I can possibly snag. I'm playing the long game here.

That 4% is a very misleading figure. Figure this: They have heard from 56% of their season ticket holders. That's 44% that they haven't heard from at all. The article said they will be contacting season ticket holders in the coming weeks to convince them to renew. I'm sure they will be in for an earful. That 4% is the number of people inside of that 56% that have contacted the AD to tell them what their plans are. My suspicion is that a lot of folks are simply tossing out their renewal forms. The article also said that their renewals were running at 76% at this time last year. That's a 20% difference. A 20% dropoff would not shock me in the least right now.

Bad times for the football program. It didn't have to be this way. They were told "Fire Hawk". That's what the fans demanded. They ignored their customers and are paying the price for it now. Hell hath no fury like that of a fan scorned.

Could not agree more..... you cannot run a program into the ground while starting lesser talent like Cody because he is a "hard worker". And when fans expect winning and get nothing for 4 years they have every right to stop paying. Ignoring the fan base was Bohn's biggest mistake and my guess is it may end up costing him a job in the next couple years

Back