What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sefo INTs

And what exactly does that have to do with my post about his completion percentage and BuffUp wanting higher completion calls? It's not about being optimistic on this one, it's just looking at the completion percentage he has. A 65%+ completion percentage is very good and top 25 in the country using un-adjusted stats. The offense for the vast majority of the season has not been the problem, it's been the other side of the ball and special teams being unable to stop the other team.

Projecting Sefo's second half of the season...

41.6 TDs
3939.5 Yards
15 Interceptions

That is a damn good season for a sophomore QB in one of the toughest leagues.
Especially considering the O-line play.

You're totally missing the point. Sefo's completion percentage isn't the problem being discussed in this thread, it's the INTs and particularly the early ones. His completion percentage over the season isn't relevant because an incomplete pass >>>>>>>>> interceptions.
Thank you for seeing the point I was trying to make. I have no problem with Sefo. I just feel coming out and throwing a pick, putting your defense against a wall, is not good.

Cody used to throw the first couple of passes about 5 feet over the target's head to start every game, similar to Sefo's early game short circuits. I agree that he should throw a couple safe bubble screens or the like to start the game.
and Thank You for understanding the point trying to be made... some will just never understand. You play the game you understand more I guess.

Thank you for seeing the point I was trying to make. I have no problem with Sefo. I just feel coming out and throwing a pick, putting your defense against a wall, is not good.
No ****? You started by saying that Lindgren needs to call higher completion passes yet the early interceptions have been exactly that. The one against OSU was a quick 5 yard TE Curl. The first one against USC was a quick Curl to Fields. Both are high percentage passes, but both were poorly executed.

Cody used to throw the first couple of passes about 5 feet over the target's head to start every game, similar to Sefo's early game short circuits. I agree that he should throw a couple safe bubble screens or the like to start the game.

Bringing up Cody only makes me appreciate Sefo all the more... thanks!

I find it comforting that the first pass of every game is an int. It's continuity in an incontinent world.

Speak for yourself, man. My world has no incontinence issues.

Sack beat me to it. Freudian slip?

Sefo needs to be more confident in his decisions and not rely on his go to guys. I think this is something he will get better at as he sees more action and the game slows down for him.

Has to get better. Like soon. The youth excuse is getting really old for a guy who should be progressing as this season goes on.

I think Sefo has looked solid this year and look forward to continuing to watch him get better. With that said we can't afford to turn the ball over if we continue to give up 40-50 points a game. We can't afford empty possessions. It's a ****ty position to be in but that's the reality.

This conversation has me thinking about interceptions and when the best/worst time to have them happen is (assuming they are going to happen).

Obviously the worst time to have one is on a drive to end (and win) a game. But I feel like maybe the next worst time is right out of the gate at the start (especially if it results in a touchdown or fantastic field position for the other side).

Now this may be program-specific...maybe it's just because we need to win so badly and we are so prone to "oh no not again-itis" that these early picks seem so devastating, but they have been inordinately damaging for us (in ways that might not affect, say, an Alabama or Oklahoma that much). Obviously I would rather have the picks early than on a game winning drive, but I think the second least favorite place for THIS team right now to have them is right out of the gate. Shaky starts set a bad tone for us.

Just my opinion.

Sefo's interceptions seem to be an issue with staring down his receiver and a lack of arm strength. That goes for the whole season. The first one you can fix, but unfortunately the second we will probably have to live with the rest of his career. Either way, having these early interceptions, which have turned out to give the opposing teams excellent field position, has to stop. Interceptions are going to happen, especially when you throw the ball as much as he does.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I wonder if scripted plays/throws would be better to start off the game?
The games I've seen him play, he absolutely locks onto guys. As Snow said, it allows guys to come off their man cause they know where he is going. Definitely zoning is my guess unless he just freelanced? I didn't see it so idk. As far as the arm, I think his is good but not great. Be on time if you don't have a great arm. Manning does it, Montana did it at a very high level.

Sefo's interceptions seem to be an issue with staring down his receiver and a lack of arm strength. That goes for the whole season. The first one you can fix, but unfortunately the second we will probably have to live with the rest of his career. Either way, having these early interceptions, which have turned out to give the opposing teams excellent field position, has to stop. Interceptions are going to happen, especially when you throw the ball as much as he does.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I wonder if scripted plays/throws would be better to start off the game?

Maybe that's the problem, rather than the solution: Sefo is so pre-programmed to make the scripted play work, that he zones in on the receiver.

Instead, how about giving him an option-type pass play (not a run-pass option necessarily) where he is forced to make his reads among alternate receivers and improvise a little, rather than focus on one guy, like the script says. Force him to think early rather than act by rote.

Maybe that's the problem, rather than the solution: Sefo is so pre-programmed to make the scripted play work, that he zones in on the receiver.

Instead, how about giving him an option-type pass play (not a run-pass option necessarily) where he is forced to make his reads among alternate receivers and improvise a little, rather than focus on one guy, like the script says. Force him to think early rather than act by rote.
Could be. I know they don't actually script the plays, or at least Mac/Lindgren has never mentioned it.

It might help to practice and script a few plays where he is required to deliberately look at another receiver before he throws. "Yes, this play is intended to go to receiver X on a curl at the 3 second point, what you do is lock on receiver Y for the first 2 seconds, and then turn, check the D and fire to X." I.e. actually script out which other receiver he's supposed to be focusing on before turning to the intended target of the play.

He's occasionally shown that he can go through a progression when he recognizes that the first receiver isn't open, which means he is somewhat comfortable with knowing where the 2nd and 3rd receivers are, finding them, seeing if they're open, and then firing off a pass. He just needs to get comfortable with watching any other receiver besides the 1st one for the first few seconds of the play, and then go through the "find, check if open, pass" process with the 1st receiver as if he actually just checked down to them...

1. DL to pressure the QB and force him to throw
2. Have DBs and Safeties that can pick it off.
3. ????
4. Profit.

Back