What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sefo is in-Good Call?

Never bought the Connor Wood hype. I am not going to say I told you so. Because it will accomplish nothing. Please stop hyping QBS that is throwing deep balls against 3rd string DB's in spring ball. I still think Nick Hirschman was better than Connor Wood.

Meanwhile your guy lost the battle for the starting QB job at Akron.

Never bought the Connor Wood hype. I am not going to say I told you so. Because it will accomplish nothing. Please stop hyping QBS that is throwing deep balls against 3rd string DB's in spring ball. I still think Nick Hirschman was better than Connor Wood.

You were right about Wood.

You were over-hyping the other options, though.

Everyone was trying to hang some hope somewhere. Now we all just need to move on to Sefo and support him as he develops and takes his lumps.

You were right about Wood.

Everyone was trying to hang some hope somewhere. Now we all just need to move on to Sefo and support him as he develops and takes his lumps.

I didn't buy the hype Hirschman, if you recall I said after spring ball, that it was a tie based on what I saw between Wood and Hirschman. It was not a clear choice.

Last edited:
I didn't hype Hirschman, if you recall I said after spring ball, that it was a tie based on what I saw between Wood and Hirschman. It was not a clear choice.
That's bull**** dude and u know it. Hirsch would be worse, he can't move and we can't block. That's a bad combo if u ask me.

Wood lost whatever edge he had, unfortunately. The offense was more functional overall this year, which allowed him to run an actual hurry-up, but in the end, most of his completed passes were off broken plays to PRich. That was never going to work out long term.

When I saw him balk on 2 short screen passes in a row tonight, I knew he was done. His timing and footwork were screwed, and frankly, they always have been.

Quick look into the future.

Sefo starts from here on out.

Does Wood remain at CU being a backup for the next couple of years. I know he has already transferred once but he could move on to a Div II school and start immediately. Personally that is what I see happening. Just like Hirsh.
Webb graduates after this season.

Next year we have Sefo, Dorman, the new JC kid we got this year and the new recruit Aspay.

Lets roll with Sefo the rest of the year, grooming him for the next 3 seasons. Throw another 15lbs on him and I believe he could be the guy.

I just really wish I could fast forward a couple of years, because this is going to be painful.

Wood/Webb will see time this season yet. Liufau looked capable of being the guy last night, but 8 or 9 man fronts will take their toll on him physically. Is there anyone who could look good behind that line right now?!

Yes, i'm fully on board with it.

I hate to bash the kid, but Connor Wood is not a D-IA starter at QB. The guy has all the tools, except the composure needed between the ears.

Sefo has shown amazing comfort and confidence thus far. I still remember Bellarmine's state championship game against Skyline last year where SHS had all-conference players lined up across the board and Bellarmine really only had Sefo. He was getting beat to hell and BHS eventually lost, but Sefo stood in the pocket taking shot after shot, making play after play. We need that type of gamer now who will keep us in games and keep the offense functional even as we face lots of adversity on both sides of the ball.

It is my hope as he is elevated to work as the starter, and he gets all the meaningful reps in practice, that his game will continue to improve and he matures into a leader that can get this rebuilding process truly under way.

I didn't buy the hype Hirschman, if you recall I said after spring ball, that it was a tie based on what I saw between Wood and Hirschman. It was not a clear choice.
Does it matter now? Hirsch is in Akron, riding the pine, Wood is in Boulder doing the same...

Quick look into the future.

Sefo starts from here on out.

Does Wood remain at CU being a backup for the next couple of years. I know he has already transferred once but he could move on to a Div II school and start immediately. Personally that is what I see happening. Just like Hirsh.
Webb graduates after this season.

Next year we have Sefo, Dorman, the new JC kid we got this year and the new recruit Aspay.

Lets roll with Sefo the rest of the year, grooming him for the next 3 seasons. Throw another 15lbs on him and I believe he could be the guy.

I just really wish I could fast forward a couple of years, because this is going to be painful.

We have Gehrke who the coaches seem to really like a lot as well. They are keeping his red-shirt year, so he will have 3/3 over the next few years. The play should improve as we get some guys who fit their pistol type scheme better. (Sadly Wood had tools to fit this offense but isn't playing in 1A Texas HS football any longer.)

you were right about wood.

Everyone was trying to hang some hope somewhere. Now we all just need to move on to sefo and support him as he develops and takes his lumps.

yup!

Does it matter now? Hirsch is in Akron, riding the pine, Wood is in Boulder doing the same...

The difference is Wood lost the job to a true Freshman. Hirschman was beaten out by an upper classman. He has about 3 touch down passes this season as a backup. Hirschman is not a great QB but he is better than Connor Wood.

BB2, as much as I hate to give it to you, you were correct that Wood was not up to the challenge. But let's not act as though Hirsch did not get a square deal here. Coming out of Spring ball, the coaches made it pretty clear that Hirsch and Wood were tied atop the depth chart. Hirsch chose to bolt town when he wasn't given the starting job outright. He would have had every opportunity over the summer and fall camp to show on the field that he was the better man, but did not want to do that. Bottom line, Sefo is the man now, so I'd suggest you get behind him and hope for the best.

Best case scenario is that he'll turn out to be like that short QB under Mangino. I'm all for it, neither Wood or Webb have proven themselves to be able to compete in BCS level. It might just be the spark that'll end up winning 2-3 more games.

The fact that Wood has regressed is in no way an indicator that Hirschman would have done any better. In fact, had Hirschman been smart, he would have realized that something like this might very well happen, and he'd get his chance. He would be starting at CU against Charleston Southern in a week had he stayed. Now, he's still the 2nd string quarterback - which is something he openly stated he wanted to avoid.

Burning Sefo's redshirt was a smart move. He was our best option at QB last night and should be for the remainder of the season. That's why you play a true freshman - because he's better at his position than any of the upperclassmen.

If he had been put in there "just for game experience" then it would have been stupid.

Watching replay of last night. I love pain. Our offense and notably Sefo really did have some very nice plays. Adkins ran hard despite the blocking. Sefo just offers a more complete package. I am going to enjoy watching this kid develop.

Sefo's a big kid, so I'm not sure what he has in common with the "short QB under Mangino." I'd be surprised if the poor short guy survived that, though.

Looks like the right call. I think Connor is a good kid, but it was almost like he was relieved to get the hook last night. He just cannot handle being a BCS QB unless everything is going the right way. Sefo needs to play the majority of snaps from here on out.

My only concern is whether we will have enough good player to surround Sefo by the time he is a junior or senior. If this is a five year rebuilding process then starting g four years of eligibility next year would have been nice. At least we have a new reason to watch games and pay attention. If we don't get some juco o linemen we are F'd for a long time.

My only concern is whether we will have enough good player to surround Sefo by the time he is a junior or senior. If this is a five year rebuilding process then starting g four years of eligibility next year would have been nice. At least we have a new reason to watch games and pay attention. If we don't get some juco o linemen we are F'd for a long time.

I do not believe this is a five year rebuilding process. We have some great freshman out there making plays, just need to focus on developing the O and D lines. If Sefo was in the game from the get go last night it would not have been as ugly, as quick...field position is our worst enemy and it starts with 0 yards per possession.

Sipping on some kool-aid while watching Sefo, Adkins, Gillam, Awuzie, etc.

Big bang is hurting knowing wood was better than hirsch.

Sefo has loads of potential. Lindgren and hcmm better not screw him up

How was Sefo in the second half? I crashed midway into the second quarter.
As someone who watched every snap (past midnight here in the CDT) I thought he looked pretty good. Granted, he was going against the 2nd stringers but I thought he showed a lot of poise for a true freshman. He showed the ability to make good decisions with where to go with the ball and did not look overwhelmed despite an OL that was not exactly stout. Did not get a real good look at his athleticism but he looks the part. I was encouraged based on what I saw of him.

How was Sefo in the second half? I crashed midway into the second quarter.

He looked better to me today watching the second half again in replay, than in my state of frustration last night. I can see why the coaches really like him. Agree with Darth, hope this situation does not crush him. Daunting set of circumstances we have presently...

I saw some things with Sefo that gave me reason to be encouraged and some that still indicate why he wasn't more heavily recruited by other BCS schools.

On the positive side he seemed like he wanted to be in charge and take on the challenge, and he did. He was a verbal leader out there and backed it with effort. He also played smart for a true Fr. taking what was given to him but not forcing some things that could have resulted in him taking some big hits or in turnovers.

I also saw a kid who had a good awareness of what was happening around him. He threw a lot of quick balls on the second or third step, critical for a guy playing behind our joke of an offensive line and throwing to recievers who are much more likely to be open on quick slants and cuts than on deeper stuff due to our lack of pure speed, PRich excepted.

On the other hand he still lacks arm strength, not being very close or having the velocity on the few longer balls he threw. He also missed some reads and ended up throwing the ball into heavy coverage a few times like on the first INT he threw.

Will it matter much in the context of our season, I don't think so but now that the shirt is gone they need to get him as much time as they can while still being careful not to beat him down.

Our biggest problems are not at QB, they are on the OL and until we can make some major improvement there anything else we do is moving deck chairs on the Titanic. Good RBs and QBs can make average OLs look much better but with an OL like we have they have nothing to work with. Rotten still smells no matter how you try to cover it up.

I like the OL recruits we have so far, especially as time goes on Miller, but these are guys who will need time to develop. We aren't getting kids are ready like Bama and Oregon are recruiting. I have no idea who is available and generally don't like going JUCO but maybe one or two JUCOs would provide some early help at the interior positions.

Before the season I said 3-4 wins and we are on track for that. As ugly as last night looked it was still better than watching the fecal storms that we saw last year. At least we had guys trying and not completely giving up.

Back