What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sefo Liufau v Steven Montez

Starting QB when Sefo is back

• Total voters
I've been a big fan of Montez from the start but Sefo has done nothing to lose the starting job for this team. If he is healthy put him out there - he starts. If he has problems in any game we have a winner sitting there waiting. Montez has tasted it now and there will be no more problems like we saw in Michigan when he was put into a situation he was not mentally ready for. Montez will have his day in the sun, that is all but guaranteed now.
And I can only assume by 'day in the sun' we all are thinking '2017-2019 CU football seasons'.

But isn't that the point. Montez and the team made the plays with him at the helm. They failed to do that with Sefo many, many times.
It's a different team my friend. I equate Sefo the first three years of his tenure at QB like Elway with Dan Reeves as his coach. Trying to do it all, because he HAD to do it all. And yes, making some mistakes by trying to force things because he felt he had to. The whole team is better this year which makes both Sefo AND Montez better. It's a good lesson for all that you don't lose your position to injury, plus, I think it's a dangerous thing to take someone who is the heart and soul of this team, and keep him on the bench when he is healthy. I think that's a dangerous move for MM.

Sefo, its his job to lose and he's done nothing to lose it. But, its been really good to see Montez start off like this. He made some eye opening throws today, and his feet can get him out of trouble better than Sefo's can. The future is very very bright at QB.
Both better learn to slide. They talk about 'The RIse' but that rise WON'T be real if Gherke is the one under center for complete games. Please slide. Please. We won't think less of you two, I swear. We will respect that you will be able to get up and take the next snap. Slide. Please. Just slide.

I voted Sefo.
I love Sefo's leadership, football IQ and heart. He is a great buff and he should start against SC if he is healthy.

I also have a sneaky suspicion that we will end the season with Montez. With the way Sefo plays, all out 100% all the time and regularly taking physical risks, unfortunately I think it's only a matter of time before he gets injured again. Unlike in years past, we don't need Sefo to play injured now that we have a healthy and competent back up QB in Montez. Once Montez takes the reins for the second time I don't see him losing them again this year.

Montez may be young and still a little raw, but the kid is a winner. He finds ways to make plays when they really count and we haven't had that under center for a long time.

You must be joking. I mean this is an unreal level of delusion and/or jockstrap riding.
If Frazier catches that ball in the end zone and we have a touchdown, it's CU ahead (or barely behind). COnfidence returned to the team. Can't remember if the drop Shay had was on the same drive or the drive after. If after, he was free and open for another touchdown. CU could have won the game with those two catches, even with the VERY special teams errors.

Highly unlikely that even winning out would put CU in the playoffs, but dammit, wouldn't I love another shot at Michigan this year.

Saw this on CU Sports Nation.

Sefo Liufau who played the first three and a half games for the Buffs is 54 of 76 passing for 768-yards with 6 touchdowns, Steven Montez who has started the last two games is 48 of 76 passing for 743-yards with 8 touchdowns.

What a great effin problem to have. Best part is we get one of them for the next three years! Or two if he declares early. lol

Tough call, but IMO, Montez is definitely going to be better than Sefo, and may already be.

Somewhat of an unfair comparison, but Montez has won as many P12 games as Sefo. 2 attempts for a Montez led team, 30 + for Sefo. Unfair because the teams over that time period are not the same, but watching the two play, it is seems to me Montez has "it". Just like one could see Hansen was better than CH from their play. You cannot just say "look at Sefo's stats".

For those who say Sefo was playing lights out, that was against a pitiful Idaho St. squad and a slightly less pitiful CSewe crew. He played very well for about two quarters against UM. We did see some of the old Sefo when he put at least one ball I recall into the dirt about two yards short of a receiver. Then he took a shot and dropped a beautiful bomb on Fields for a TD. That was pretty impressive, but it doesn't make me forget the inaccuracies, pick sixes and "anti-clutch" moments. I really find it hard to believe all that magically disappears from playing 10 quarters of FB, eight of them against ISU and CSU.

I suspect when healthy, Sefo will take the reins, and I will not be upset. I get the Sr. leadership angle, I get the warrior mentality. The kid just might be the toughest QB I have ever seen for the Buffs. I think Montez is the better option, even now. But I don't get paid to make that decision, and I am quite certain MikMac will go with Sefo. Then it will be in Sefo's hands. I really will be rooting for him, and I would love to see him lead the Buffs to a bowl. but I really think Montez will be better, and if he isn't already, is really close.

Tough call, but IMO, Montez is definitely going to be better than Sefo, and may already be.

Somewhat of an unfair comparison, but Montez has won as many P12 games as Sefo. 2 attempts for a Montez led team, 30 + for Sefo. Unfair because the teams over that time period are not the same, but watching the two play, it is seems to me Montez has "it". Just like one could see Hansen was better than CH from their play. You cannot just say "look at Sefo's stats".

For those who say Sefo was playing lights out, that was against a pitiful Idaho St. squad and a slightly less pitiful CSewe crew. He played very well for about two quarters against UM. We did see some of the old Sefo when he put at least one ball I recall into the dirt about two yards short of a receiver. Then he took a shot and dropped a beautiful bomb on Fields for a TD. That was pretty impressive, but it doesn't make me forget the inaccuracies, pick sixes and "anti-clutch" moments. I really find it hard to believe all that magically disappears from playing 10 quarters of FB, eight of them against ISU and CSU.

I suspect when healthy, Sefo will take the reins, and I will not be upset. I get the Sr. leadership angle, I get the warrior mentality. The kid just might be the toughest QB I have ever seen for the Buffs. I think Montez is the better option, even now. But I don't get paid to make that decision, and I am quite certain MikMac will go with Sefo. Then it will be in Sefo's hands. I really will be rooting for him, and I would love to see him lead the Buffs to a bowl. but I really think Montez will be better, and if he isn't already, is really close.
Can't disagree w anything here. Time will tell. Sefo will have a shorter leash and if he's not moving the team Saturday he'll be pulled.

Well, their numbers are only 1 apart... this could really work.
I would like to see them both in the game at the same time. Could confuse the hell out of defenses.
Seriously, I really hope that Montez gets a series here and there with Sefo starting. Truthfully, I want the team to dominate in such a manner that Montez gets mop up duty in every game.

Well, their numbers are only 1 apart... this could really work.

Seriously, I really hope that Montez gets a series here and there with Sefo starting. Truthfully, I want the team to dominate in such a manner that Montez gets mop up duty in every game.
And to be fair, you can move to Montez much quicker in the interests of keeping him sharp since it isn't a dropoff in performance. Don't need a 21 point cushion to feel safe in putting the 'backup' in.

Sefo will start. MM is loyal.

Montez should have started day one.

If Montez beats USC and plays well, MM should go with Montez.

You do realize that when you have an agenda this sort of comment makes you look stupid.

Sefo still reads better. Montez is a better athlete but Sefo is still the better qb and leader. With Sefo's ability to read the defense, I predict we throw 40+ up on USC and 50+ on ASU. Both defenses have some huge holes the Sefo will begetter at exploiting. No kick on Montez, I think we are in great hands in the future but this is Sefo's time as long as he is healthy.

Sefo still reads better. Montez is a better athlete but Sefo is still the better qb and leader. With Sefo's ability to read the defense, I predict we throw 40+ up on USC and 50+ on ASU. Both defenses have some huge holes the Sefo will begetter at exploiting. No kick on Montez, I think we are in great hands in the future but this is Sefo's time as long as he is healthy.
This. Montez will continue to develop and hopefully catch up to where Sefo is on the mental side of the game to start next year. I'm not worried about his leadership to take over the team from Sefo next year.

If Montez beats USC the buffs will be on the outskirts of the top 15 in the AP poll and there is no way that they will bench him after that.

Small sample size, but since I have been following CU football, he appears to be quite easily the best QB we've had.

This guy is hitting people on slants and other intermediate timing routes like an NFL qb. Truly threading the needle. It is very impressive. The over the top stuff goes for bigger yards but that looks like more of a talent issue of our WRs vs. the secondary of lesser teams. I'm incredibly impressed by what Montez has flashed on the pro throws.

You do realize that when you have an agenda this sort of comment makes you look stupid.
Nope. Just facts.

Montez is better athlete, better passer, better runner, better QBR.

Sefo will get the call.

Back