What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sefo Liufau

Sefo has impressed me quite a bit. I'm not sure if he'll be able to take the steps necessary to be an elite level QB (or for that matter if we can surround him with any pieces of value), but he has more real potential than any QB we've had since we fired Barney.

sefo has done a nice job and should keep getting better... just wish he was more of a running threat

What else can you say about Sefo right now?

He's good, but how good is the question. Is he a top three PAC-12 QB in a couple years or is he more in the top 6-7? Either one is a big step up from anything we have seen over the last decade, but there is a difference between being on the level of Brett Hundley (3rd) and being on the level of Kevin Hogan (7th).

Only time will tell. He looks better than most of the last few QBs we've had. I wonder if Wood ever sees the field again?

Will we ever have the op qb in the pac? I dunno. Trent dilfer has a Super Bowl ring.

Trent Dilfer also had one of the best defenses in NFL history. That's a nice pet to have. Seems to me, he had to manage and just plain not **** it up.

I will say I think Sefo is the best leader at QB we have had in a long time. By far.

I will say I think Sefo is the best leader at QB we have had in a long time. By far.

You can win a lot of games with a great leader at QB, especially one who looks like he'll be completing 70% of his passes with a good TD/INT ratio.

Yep. I was really scared when he got clocked in the 2nd q? The entire OL came and picked him up. Tough guy.

I would settle for a 6-7 QB in conference right now. We've been hovering around 11-12 for years now

I wish he could run like Lynch from UNI, that dude is a beast. Leadership, no question there. I don't know how good he's gonna be but I think he's gonna be a step way up from what we've had the last several years. The thing I love the most about him, he's fearless.

Yep. I was really scared when he got clocked in the 2nd q? The entire OL came and picked him up. Tough guy.

I would settle for a 6-7 QB in conference right now. We've been hovering around 11-12 for years now

Having a #6 or #7 QB in the Pac-12 would be a huge step in the right direction. That kind of QB play would likely get us on the road to bowl games, which would start bringing in the bigger recruits. Once the ball starts rolling, all CU has to do is stay out of its own way and we will get back to respectability.

You can win a lot of games with a great leader at QB, especially one who looks like he'll be completing 70% of his passes with a good TD/INT ratio.
:yeahthat: Plus next year, he'll have a full spring and a full offseason of S&C. Both Hundley and Mariota had RS years in which to learn the position at the college level.

Having seen Sefo run, there's a lot in his technique and form that can be corrected/adjusted to improve his speed and reaction time. His legs are skinny and he's a fairly "sloppy" runner right now, with feet and arms going in all directions when he takes off. That's what speed coachs work on: form and consistency. Watch a healthy Mariota, he runs purposefully and compactly.

Agreed on the leadership role. He has settled in as a leader very nicely and he stays very calm in the game. He is off to a wonderful start.

I think he is athletic enough to gain some yards on the ground. He will never be mistaken for a running QB, but there are some yards for the taking. I think his issue is that he is timid as a runner. I think another year or weight training and not being the youngest guy on the field will do wonders for his confidence, and he will start keeping on the run option more.

If people are expecting Sefo to become a significant factor as a runner I think they are going to be dissapointed. He just doesn't have those characteristics.

I do think that in time, used at appropriate times he can be effective enough to be at least enough of a threat to make people respect the option but he isn't ever going to make anyone forget Mariota.

What I am impressed with is him movement in and out of the pocket in the passing game. He seems to have a good sense of where and when pressure is coming and be able efficiently move away from it while still maintaining the ability to set and make good throws. This is one of the things that Wood wasn't very good at. He was better at pulling it down and running but he sometimes paniced and ran when the pressure wasn't there, didn't move when he could have and got hit, or even moved into the pressure. I don't see much of that with Sefo.

If people are expecting Sefo to become a significant factor as a runner I think they are going to be dissapointed. He just doesn't have those characteristics.

I do think that in time, used at appropriate times he can be effective enough to be at least enough of a threat to make people respect the option but he isn't ever going to make anyone forget Mariota.

What I am impressed with is him movement in and out of the pocket in the passing game. He seems to have a good sense of where and when pressure is coming and be able efficiently move away from it while still maintaining the ability to set and make good throws. This is one of the things that Wood wasn't very good at. He was better at pulling it down and running but he sometimes paniced and ran when the pressure wasn't there, didn't move when he could have and got hit, or even moved into the pressure. I don't see much of that with Sefo.

Who is Mariota?

What Z, I didn't mention him until it was said he had a ring. That said, I hated them, still do.

I think Dilfer figured out winning football at the end of his career. Kind of like the anti- Jeff George. It was ugly, the stats were awful, and there was a W at the end of the day. Baltimore had an amazing defense, but they didn't get to a SB with that defense and the better passers brought in to replace Dilfer. Meanwhile, Dilfer won every game he started for Seattle the next season. Not saying he was anything more than a high quality backup, but I think he's disprespected too much.

If they aren't going to use Sefo as a runner, then why in the name of all that is holy do they continue to run the ****ing zone read play?!?!?

If the ONLY option for running the ball is the RB then put Sefo under center and run play action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Dilfer figured out winning football at the end of his career. Kind of like the anti- Jeff George. It was ugly, the stats were awful, and there was a W at the end of the day. Baltimore had an amazing defense, but they didn't get to a SB with that defense and the better passers brought in to replace Dilfer. Meanwhile, Dilfer won every game he started for Seattle the next season. Not saying he was anything more than a high quality backup, but I think he's disprespected too much.
I hear ya but Bigbang could throw to Sharpe. If there is a such thing as a game manager, Dilfer is your guy. He had to do some things to win a bowl, no doubt. Maybe he's disrespected a bit, it's more seeing him seeing him for what he is IMO. That Aloha Bowl CU defense would probably disagree tho.

BL, I believe the point you responded to was that Baltimore won despite having Dilfer. Maybe "UBL" would have been clearer than "dude."

Sefo's most impressive stat: 7 sacks in 7 games

He is pretty elusive in the pocket. Credit to the OL as well

I imagine the coaches have kept things pretty basic. It'll be interesting to see the difference in play calls next year as Sefo learns more of the offense.

Back