What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sefo

I would say Sefo's records are more legit because, wherever he ranks on the all time QB pecking order in talent, he played because he earned it.

Meh. I guess, if by "earned it" you mean the staff couldn't recruit a single QB that had other P5 options. Tyler was more accurate with a better arm than Cody. He also had way more negative plays. I'm not interested in rehashing that argument, in part because my main point is that college passing records don't mean ****.

Meh. I guess, if by "earned it" you mean the staff couldn't recruit a single QB that had other P5 options. Tyler was more accurate with a better arm than Cody. He also had way more negative plays. I'm not interested in rehashing that argument, in part because my main point is that college passing records don't mean ****.
I don't think records mean much either. I prefer a winner. I imagine Sefo would rather have more W's than a bunch of records. Regardless of the recruiting, Sefo established himself as the best CU has. I give him credit for that. I think we all know why Cody played.

I'm not trying to prove a hypothetical, you are. I believe Sefo is exactly what we have seen for 3 years...a good, not great QB who really hasn't improved in 3 years in the program.

It's not Sefo's fault either, and I think you and I both blame the coaches for what we're getting from him, I just place more blame in their lack of QB development and recruiting while you fault them more for throwing him out there early. Either way, we have seen the results and they are decidedly average.

I agree with you that he is limited. Every coaching staff in the PAC 12 had a chance to see him in HS as well as any other program in the country and yet we were the only one that went after him hard enough to get him. You can't convince me that many coaches are stupid while ours were smart.

Our disagreement is about if he could have been better than he is, I truly do think that he could have developed into a better QB than he is. At the best he could be he still wouldn't be a guy that the top schools want at QB but I do think that handled differently he would be a better QB than he is.

I agree with you that he is limited. Every coaching staff in the PAC 12 had a chance to see him in HS as well as any other program in the country and yet we were the only one that went after him hard enough to get him. You can't convince me that many coaches are stupid while ours were smart.

Our disagreement is about if he could have been better than he is, I truly do think that he could have developed into a better QB than he is. At the best he could be he still wouldn't be a guy that the top schools want at QB but I do think that handled differently he would be a better QB than he is.
You have more faith in our staff's ability to develop QBs than I do apparently.

That's a big reason I'm so disappointed we lost out on Webb - he was at least partially developed by other coaches, so he would have had a chance.

This is the truth. Pointing out his liabilities is pointless. He is the best we have, and the staff hasn't found another who is even close.

It sounds like he stayed in Boulder this summer and put in a lot of extra work on top of his rehab. I admire that he recognized that he *might* have been part of the problem last year and worked to do something about it. It's awesome to see that kind of growth in a senior.

I think that list just means that Plati has some pretty good dirt on Steve Lassan (the guy who wrote the article).

It sounds like he stayed in Boulder this summer and put in a lot of extra work on top of his rehab. I admire that he recognized that he *might* have been part of the problem last year and worked to do something about it. It's awesome to see that kind of growth in a senior.
Nobody that loves to compete wants to lose every ****ing week. It is cool to see though.

YPA 2015: 7.0 (79th)
YPA 2016: 10.2 (12th)
QBR 2015: 50.1 (89th)
QBR 2016: 75.9 (27th)
I know we've played no one, but he never sniffed those numbers last year, even when we played no good teams early.
If this improvement trend continues...

I would have to go back and double check, but I wonder if that ball to JayMac that he grounded was because he reverted to his old mechanics on the throw? As the video showed, its a huge difference in his release point.

EDIT: it does appear that on the two balls he threw in the dirt against CSU he locked his front leg and lifted his back one, causing his head to dip. Takes some time to override the muscle memory.

Last edited:
YPA 2015: 7.0 (79th)
YPA 2016: 10.2 (12th)
QBR 2015: 50.1 (89th)
QBR 2016: 75.9 (27th)
I know we've played no one, but he never sniffed those numbers last year, even when we played no good teams early.
If this improvement trend continues...

It's hard to tell from TV but it has looked like Sefo is going much deeper into his reads this year.

In the past he has tended to lock onto a single receiver and try to force the ball there or to throw it away or run. When he did come off a guy it was to one other read on the same side.

This year I have seen him multiple times look to a guy, reset his feet and look to a second guy, then reset and go to a third guy in a different area of the field. I haven't seen much of the one read and run even when there isn't pressure.

I think what he does a lot of times is try to do too much. He's got some weapons now, use them, let them make plays for ya.

It's hard to tell from TV but it has looked like Sefo is going much deeper into his reads this year.

In the past he has tended to lock onto a single receiver and try to force the ball there or to throw it away or run. When he did come off a guy it was to one other read on the same side.

This year I have seen him multiple times look to a guy, reset his feet and look to a second guy, then reset and go to a third guy in a different area of the field. I haven't seen much of the one read and run even when there isn't pressure.
he has had time to this year so far,

He has looked better, but let's wait and see what he looks like against P5 competition before we guzzle the Kool-Aid.

he has had time to this year so far,

He has had time. He also doesn't have that security blanket with Spruce on the back of his jersey to home in on.

It is also reasonable though to think that Chiv has had some influence on him. Missing time last year and much of the off-season may have given him time to focus on the mental aspect of the game. Having a different voice in his ear as he did that couldn't hurt.

This week though he will have to do it faster. Michigan will hit him, also hope he doesn't revert if he gets an interception or other mistake.

I think not having Spruce to home in on has been a positive thing. He's involving all the receivers. I remember several times in the past where guys were wide open and Sefo didn't see them because he was looking for Spruce. Our entire receiving corps is much more involved than in the past. If you ask me.

My $.02
His sophomore year, he had some pretty good numbers, had some pretty boneheaded mistakes, Spruce, and not a lot of wins against both good and ****ty teams
His junior year, he regressed, had some pretty boneheaded mistakes, Spruce, and even fewer wins against both good and ****ty teams
This year, he has improved numbers-wise, most people outside of this forum think he is on fire, has had a few (but not many) boneheaded mistakes, is running the ball better than he ever has, and against the first two ****ty teams that we played, he led a throttling of both which didn't happen the two previous years, and has completed passes to 12 different receivers.

All in all, I would say he is improving, has better talent around him this year, but who is to say that THIS wouldn't be a regression year if he had red-shirted. Lots of college QBs do that so I don't see him as any different. I'd also say that specifically being a "senior" is leading to the success he is having this year.

My $.02
His sophomore year, he had some pretty good numbers, had some pretty boneheaded mistakes, Spruce, and not a lot of wins against both good and ****ty teams
His junior year, he regressed, had some pretty boneheaded mistakes, Spruce, and even fewer wins against both good and ****ty teams
This year, he has improved numbers-wise, most people outside of this forum think he is on fire, has had a few (but not many) boneheaded mistakes, is running the ball better than he ever has, and against the first two ****ty teams that we played, he led a throttling of both which didn't happen the two previous years, and has completed passes to 12 different receivers.

All in all, I would say he is improving, has better talent around him this year, but who is to say that THIS wouldn't be a regression year if he had red-shirted. Lots of college QBs do that so I don't see him as any different. I'd also say that specifically being a "senior" is leading to the success he is having this year.
He hasn't completed passes to 12 different receivers (that's how many have caught passes for the Buffs). But he has completed passes to numerous receivers on multiple occasions which is different than his previous M.O.

Back