What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

"Seismic policy shift frees Air Force Academy grads to pursue pro sports without 2-year commitment"

We are talking about an exceptionally small number of people here. Roger Staubach, David Robinson, Chad Hennings...

I guess I just don't see the problem, but I admit that's an opinion formed outside the experience of military service.
We're talking about special treatment that is misaligned with your core mission and your core values. You simply don't do that. I don't care how small the sampling is.

I don't see how this really levels the playing field at all. It's still an academy that requires an assload of requirements to get in, physical fitness standards are not conducive to dominating football, and this only affects the 1 or 2 guys every year or every other year that have a realistic shot at the NFL. Their coaches biggest sales pitch to better athletes would be what?? "IF you prove to be good enough and make it through 4 years in the academy, you might have the opportunity to forego your commitment and go to the NFL"? I don't buy it.

While there may only be 1-2 that turn out, that isn't what recruits are thinking when they are 17. They all think they may have a shot....

They all want to leave open the possibility that the NFL might be in the cards. I think it upgrades their talent noticeably. They are already a pain-in-the-arse to play with the triple-option, and disciplined players. Hike up their talent another 25% and they become a team worthy of P5 competitiveness (Navy and AFA anyhow).

The pitch now is "we can get you to the NFL and if that doesn't work out, you can fly F-16s as a fall-back!" Doesn't appeal to a lot of kids, but it will appeal to a great many more who already are attracted to the Military Academy route, but choose elsewhere to keep their NFL options open.

How can we have an effective military if they can just jump to professional sports all willy nillie? "Afghanistan? Oh, um, I'm joining the PGA tour, thanks very much."

How can we have an effective military if they can just jump to professional sports all willy nillie? "Afghanistan? Oh, um, I'm joining the PGA tour, thanks very much."
You raise a fair question. Certainly military service was the only thing that stopped me from being a pro athlete. Probably basketball.

While there may only be 1-2 that turn out, that isn't what recruits are thinking when they are 17. They all think they may have a shot....

They all want to leave open the possibility that the NFL might be in the cards. I think it upgrades their talent noticeably. They are already a pain-in-the-arse to play with the triple-option, and disciplined players. Hike up their talent another 25% and they become a team worthy of P5 competitiveness (Navy and AFA anyhow).

The pitch now is "we can get you to the NFL and if that doesn't work out, you can fly F-16s as a fall-back!" Doesn't appeal to a lot of kids, but it will appeal to a great many more who already are attracted to the Military Academy route, but choose elsewhere to keep their NFL options open.
I guess we can agree to disagree. I don't think this moves the needle much in terms of talent for them, but I could be wrong.

They could take Baylor's place.
If you grew up in the Springs - like I did - you were most likely warned to avoid AFA cadets if you saw them out at bars and such. The big activity when I was in high school was cruising up and down Nevada Avenue, and it was usually cadets who were involved when trouble broke out. I won't even mention all of the stories I heard about what high school aged girls encountered if they they ran into cadets in that setting.

The notion that our service academies are populated by a bunch of exemplary citizens is often not borne out in reality. More often than not, they are emboldened by a culture that tells them they are somehow superior to the residents of the towns where they reside.

If you grew up in the Springs - like I did - you were most likely warned to avoid AFA cadets if you saw them out at bars and such. The big activity when I was in high school was cruising up and down Nevada Avenue, and it was usually cadets who were involved when trouble broke out. I won't even mention all of the stories I heard about what high school aged girls encountered if they they ran into cadets in that setting.

The notion that our service academies are populated by a bunch of exemplary citizens is often not borne out in reality. More often than not, they are emboldened by a culture that tells them they are somehow superior to the residents of the towns where they reside.
Maybe not "more often than not" but there is a percentage to whom this applies.

Different dynamic, but the worst was living in San Diego's north county. The Camp Pendleton marines were not exactly respectful to guys who were out with a girl and ended up in the same bar as them.

You have to remember that this is a "policy" that is being done in the middle of a draw down of US forces - unlike previous times when they've done the same thing, they are being very explicit about it, and letting the recruiters actually tell recruits this on the road.

They did the same thing in the early/mid nineties - cadets and midshipmen, both academy and ROTC, were graduating after the taxpayer paid for 4 years of college and getting commissioned directly into the ready reserve without ever serving a day of active duty. The only difference between now and then is that they are letting recruiters explicitly tell them it's a possibility right up front.

It's hard to drastically pare down the number of cadets that you are accepting and running through any of the Academies for both structural reasons (it's pretty hard to offer a diverse set of university courses with fewer than about 4,000 students) and political reasons (remember, almost every cadet and/or midshipman is there because a US Congressman or Senator nominated them for that slot).

It's a little easier to pare down the number of ROTC cadets/midshipmen, but even for those, there is a bare minimum that you have to keep pushing through the system if you're going to keep the system viable. And unless you're 100% confident that the US will never again have to call up large numbers of troops, you have to keep the system viable.

Now, what happens when the total number of cadets/midshipmen graduating (remember, they all started 4 years ago), exceeds the number of 2nd Lieutenants/Ensigns the services actually need today?

What happens when the projections show more graduates than you need 4-6 years from now, and you're already running at a minimal viable level?

You tell potential recruits that in some defined circumstances, they will be commissioned into the ready reserve.

And if, in 2021, when they graduate, the military does actually need their service because Trump has got us into a hot war after a pissing match with Putin, guess what?

They'll be commissioned straight into the active office corps along with everyone else.

I'll hate them almost as much.

If Service Academies exist to create leaders to defend our Constitution, let's not muddy the waters in the name of sports glory. We've seen what that misplaced focus on sports has done for baylor and Penn State.

It's imprudent to sacrifice the mission for something else, in my opinion.

But yeah, I understand your question. I don't love the Naval Academy grads either, in many cases.

My post was tongue in cheek, I forgot to put the ;), but point taken.

They did the same thing in the early/mid nineties - cadets and midshipmen, both academy and ROTC, were graduating after the taxpayer paid for 4 years of college and getting commissioned directly into the ready reserve without ever serving a day of active duty. The only difference between now and then is that they are letting recruiters explicitly tell them it's a possibility right up front...And if, in 2021, when they graduate, the military does actually need their service because Trump has got us into a hot war after a pissing match with Putin, guess what?

They'll be commissioned straight into the active office corps along with everyone else.
This may be the exact reason to pair down our military forces.

We're talking about special treatment that is misaligned with your core mission and your core values. You simply don't do that. I don't care how small the sampling is.

The military does this all the time. They show favorites, have different rules for one group over another. They just don't admit it. I suppose admitting it could be seen as an abandonment of a core value. I'm a fan of transparency. If you're going to have two separate sets of rules, admit as much.

Different dynamic, but the worst was living in San Diego's north county. The Camp Pendleton marines were not exactly respectful to guys who were out with a girl and ended up in the same bar as them.
Yin and yang.

I live next to Annapolis and my wife and I are "sponsor parents" to five Midshipmen - three are women. We meet a wide variety through them, and run into plenty around town. There is a small, annoying, and very noticeable minority who think they are God's gift to the world. Those are the pricks who wear their rings and tell everyone they're academy grads, and they don't make very good officers. Most, in my experience, are not like that, but are motivated, hard working, and decent kids.

Orr's right, IMO, they need to find a way to fulfill their obligation. It's how the military is designed to work.

The military does this all the time. They show favorites, have different rules for one group over another. They just don't admit it. I suppose admitting it could be seen as an abandonment of a core value. I'm a fan of transparency. If you're going to have two separate sets of rules, admit as much.
For instance?

Please provide specific examples.

The only thing I can possibly think of would be SOF vs regular Army/Navy, but then again, those groups have earned some "special treatment". Maybe I'm off base and please correct me if I'm wrong.
Their special treatment is not the kind of special treatment that most people want.

The only thing I can possibly think of would be SOF vs regular Army/Navy, but then again, those groups have earned some "special treatment". Maybe I'm off base and please correct me if I'm wrong.
What special treatment do they receive?

Who can forget Police call? Latrine detail was nasty, but still preferable to laundry facility detail; much easier to clean.

Quick story, ft.carson 88, guy loses M-16, they lock post down for 3 weeks. We are down range in a line looking for it. Ends up he left it in the hum v, someone stole it.

3 week police call and weapon was long gone. 2 days later leave for ft.irwin for month long op4 training. Good times.

Quick story, ft.carson 88, guy loses M-16, they lock post down for 3 weeks. We are down range in a line looking for it. Ends up he left it in the hum v, someone stole it.

3 week police call and weapon was long gone. 2 days later leave for ft.irwin for month long op4 training. Good times.
We had something similar happen with a bayonet, closed base for over a week.

I thought there were strict height and weight requirements at the academies that make it hard to build a line?

Back