What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

September 10 - California @ Colorado

That first pass play to Clemons should have been a TD. He was wide open.

And what was the junk shot-gun snap handoff play? Terrible.

Think the game will be picked up by a Fox regional? Dishnetwork doesn't carry the damn fox college sports channels :bang:

I really want revenge, after attending last year's disaster.

Cal Bears head coach Jeff Tedford: Q&A

By Thomas Neumann
Page 2

pg2_a_tedford_576.jpg

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...tball-coach-jeff-tedford-goes-gridiron-page-2

Fresno St. drawing better than Cal for opener

John Crumpacker, Chronicle Staff Writer
Friday, August 26, 2011

Although Cal will be in its home blues when it opens the football season against Fresno State on Sept. 3 at Candlestick Park, the Bears might not feel at home.

Fresno State, which always travels well, is outpacing Cal in ticket sales in what is being called a neutral-site contest. As of Thursday, Fresno State had sold 12,450 tickets and easily hit its goal of 10,000 to trigger a $900,000 guarantee from promoters.

Cal, meanwhile, reported sales of 7,800 as of Thursday, the first day of fall semester classes. That's short of what the university needs to reap a $1,000,050 guarantee from the promoter, Russ Potts Productions.

Athletic director Sandy Barbour was so concerned last week that she sent out a mass e-mail to fans to encourage their support for the game.

"I am challenging our Cal community to surpass Fresno State for fan support in attendance and tickets sold," she said. "I just can't imagine that our community would allow Fresno to come to the Bay Area and outnumber us at Candlestick Park on September 3rd. I know we won't let that be the case."

Tickets are priced at $20 for students, with a range of $40-55-75-95 for the general public.

Can't believe Cal is favored by 10 over Fresno State. Fresno should definitely beat the spread, and I think they've got almost a 50% shot at winning the game.

Going to be tough for Cal basically be playing their big home games in a neutral environment (Fresno State, Southern Cal, Utah) and then playing their other 3 home games (Presbyterian, Oregon State, Washington State) in front of pathetically low crowds.

[h=2]Zach Maynard, Marvin Jones lead Cal past Fresno St.[/h]
SAN FRANCISCO -- Zach Maynard overcame a rough start to his California career to throw for 266 yards and two touchdowns to Marvin Jones to lead the Golden Bears to a 36-21 victory over Fresno State on Saturday.

Isi Sofele ran for 83 yards and two touchdowns, Jones had 118 yards receiving and defensive end Trevor Guyton scored on a 22-yard fumble return to give the Bears an emphatic start to the season a year after posting a losing record.
The Cal defense harassed Derek Carr in his first start at quarterback for the Bulldogs as the Golden Bears won for the first time in three meetings between the schools.
The game was at a neutral site, Candlestick Park, with Fresno State bringing a larger contingent of fans in the crowd of 31,563.
The Cal fans had much more to cheer about -- especially after Maynard recovered from the early interception that helped give the Bulldogs a 7-0 lead.
Maynard, a transfer from Buffalo, struggled with his accuracy, completing just 16 for 35, but had a knack for the big play as he capitalized against a Fresno State defense missing injured safety Phillip Thomas.
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=312460025

Cal really does suck on the road. I'm sure we'll get the soundbites about "revenge" and I'm sure we'll play better in the friendly confines of Folsom, but we've got a longggg way to go. Cal ate our O-Line alive last year - that's happened a lot over the last few years, but that was worse than I've ever seen it.

Cal really does suck on the road. I'm sure we'll get the soundbites about "revenge" and I'm sure we'll play better in the friendly confines of Folsom, but we've got a longggg way to go. Cal ate our O-Line alive last year - that's happened a lot over the last few years, but that was worse than I've ever seen it.

The o-lin performance tonight makes me think this is a loss.

Cal's pieces are like our kryptonite. Speedy, athletic QB with good WR's

And embree has no clothes after betting the farm on the Hawaii game. This is now a complete rebuilding year

The o-lin performance tonight makes me think this is a loss.

I'd say tonight's performance was easily worse. Cal at least had a 1st round pick running us over and apparently our center was tipping our snap count. Hawaii has neither of those and made us look silly.

[h=1]Cal QB Zach Maynard gives Bears hope[/h]
Zach Maynard's heart was racing, and it showed. Immediately. And not in a good way.

Cal's latest quarterback hope took the field for the first time as a Bear on Saturday, and things quickly went a little haywire.
His first play was nullified by an illegal-formation penalty.

And on his actual first play, Maynard threw a pass directly to a Fresno State defensive back for an interception deep in Cal territory, which led to a sudden 7-0 Cal deficit.

Uh oh: That was more Kevin Riley than Aaron Rodgers, and every Cal fan had to be grimacing at the thought.
Maynard wasn't too thrilled about it, either, of course.

But he didn't fall into a hole. He didn't start bouncing passes or brain-locking under center. He calmed down.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_18824212

0-2 going into the CSU game and CSU 2-0. Our scheduling is ridiculous and I don't think we'll be considered the favorite in this game anymore

If people don't think the DB's got tested vs Hawaii, they surely will against Cal. Keenan Allen and Marvin Jones are pretty darn good.

Can't believe Cal is favored by 10 over Fresno State. Fresno should definitely beat the spread, and I think they've got almost a 50% shot at winning the game.

Going to be tough for Cal basically be playing their big home games in a neutral environment (Fresno State, Southern Cal, Utah) and then playing their other 3 home games (Presbyterian, Oregon State, Washington State) in front of pathetically low crowds.

Good analysis :).

Don't mistake Candlestick for AT&T. The tickets for the Fresno game were not part of the season ticket package, they went on sale for $95 (it was a "neutral site game" put on by a third party promoter), it's Labor Day weekend, and Candlestick is a pit and impossible to get to. All that said, we should have had more fans there.

AT&T is awesome and easy to get to. There will not be "pathetically low crowds" (in fact I think all 5 AT&T games are sold out or close to it).

Given last night, Maynard may be right. Does the guy have wheels?

Good analysis :).

Don't mistake Candlestick for AT&T. The tickets for the Fresno game were not part of the season ticket package, they went on sale for $95 (it was a "neutral site game" put on by a third party promoter), it's Labor Day weekend, and Candlestick is a pit and impossible to get to. All that said, we should have had more fans there.

AT&T is awesome and easy to get to. There will not be "pathetically low crowds" (in fact I think all 5 AT&T games are sold out or close to it).

You can't blame me for thinking you were vulnerable. Fresno State is dangerous and you guys frankly sucked last year (makes our loss even worse). I think saying Fresno State had "almost a 50% chance" to beat you was pretty fair. Excuse me for not thinking a transfer from Buffalo would be a world beater at QB. That said, I think your QB is a bad matchup for us paired with your WR's. I'm sure you're licking your chops for next week's game. Just know that we definitely are a different team in Folsom, and you guys are pretty poor on the road yourselves. Of course I'm not going to predict a CU victory, I'm just hoping we show basic signs of improvement at this point. However, we'll win some games that were aren't supposed to at home. Wouldn't be surprised if a different CU team showed up on Saturday and this was a closer game than expected.

Btw, Candlestick or not, 31k is pathetic, especially considering the heavy majority were Fresno State fans. Will you be taking in the game at Folsom? I'd love for you to experience our atmosphere, even in our current state, I guarantee you it's a lot better than Cal's. I've experienced both, but of course I'm biased.

Looking forward to the game, I'll be flying in from Virginia for it. I've been dying for another shot at Cal since last year, but who knows if our team feels the same way. Regardless, I'm confident in saying it won't be 52-7 again :)

You can't blame me for thinking you were vulnerable. Fresno State is dangerous and you guys frankly sucked last year (makes our loss even worse). I think saying Fresno State had "almost a 50% chance" to beat you was pretty fair.

All true and fair enough (although we did get a lot worse when our qb went out in the Oregon St game). I had to needle you a little when I saw you say that you thought Fresno should DEFINITELY beat the spread though...

Excuse me for not thinking a transfer from Buffalo would be a world beater at QB.

I wouldn't call him a worldbeater yet, but he can make plays for sure. That's an improvement for us. Hopefully he continues to improve.

That said, I think your QB is a bad matchup for us paired with your WR's. I'm sure you're licking your chops for next week's game. Just know that we definitely are a different team in Folsom, and you guys are pretty poor on the road yourselves. Of course I'm not going to predict a CU victory, I'm just hoping we show basic signs of improvement at this point. However, we'll win some games that were aren't supposed to at home. Wouldn't be surprised if a different CU team showed up on Saturday and this was a closer game than expected.

I am not taking this game for granted -- neither are most Cal fans I know. You guys don't have much depth but you have some nice players, altitude, the road in general, Cal fans general outlook, etc etc. Not one to overlook.

Btw, Candlestick or not, 31k is pathetic, especially considering the heavy majority were Fresno State fans.

I agree. I won't go through the many reasons again (in my previous post) -- the turnout should have been better.

Will you be taking in the game at Folsom? I'd love for you to experience our atmosphere, even in our current state, I guarantee you it's a lot better than Cal's. I've experienced both, but of course I'm biased.

I wish. I've been to games in Boulder before (have many friends who are alums) and I love it there in general (and it's a great place to see a game). I'm biased too, and I love Berkeley (especially when you're sitting on the east (student) side and you can see the entire bay and city of San Francisco, but Boulder is great. I have a wedding next weekend unfortunately, or I'd be there.

Looking forward to the game, I'll be flying in from Virginia for it. I've been dying for another shot at Cal since last year, but who knows if our team feels the same way. Regardless, I'm confident in saying it won't be 52-7 again :)

On this we agree. I think you guys will be better for sure, and I'll be rooting for you every weekend but the next one. Cheers.

I wish. I've been to games in Boulder before (have many friends who are alums) and I love it there in general (and it's a great place to see a game). I'm biased too, and I love Berkeley (especially when you're sitting on the east (student) side and you can see the entire bay and city of San Francisco, but Boulder is great. I have a wedding next weekend unfortunately, or I'd be there.

Love the Berkeley campus and setting of the stadium (except that hill is really hard to walk up while intoxicated). Can't wait to see the renovated stadium. I'm sure you guys will do a great job with it. Looking forward to next week, hopefully the Buffs can get this awful taste out of our mouth from last year and last week. Been a rough go of it lately, but I'm sure you know all about that from the pre-Tedford days. Cheers and Go Buffs!

Maynard's rushing stats look pretty impressive. He can hurt you if we don't contain him. His passing stats look about the same as Hansen, average imo. I didn't get to see the Cal game though.

I believe we have a great shot in Folsom. Were just a different team at home. Hopefully CU fans will show up so we can have a great home-field advantage.

Are there any visitors for this weekend other then Justin Solis?

The weather is still nice and this is a premier home game, would be very disappointing if we only have one guy here.

Back