What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

September 17 - Colorado @ Colorado State (Denver)

Sexton Hardcastle

Club Member
Club Member
September 17 - Colorado State @ Colorado (Denver)

I haven't heard too much about this years Lammies. Apparently Pistol Pete is for real according to Ram fans. Or at least the 12 fans that post on Lambnation.com.

Here's a decent preview for everyone:
Colorado State Rams 2011 Preview: QB Pete Thomas has CSU on the Move in MWC

I apologize in advance for the vid.
[video=youtube;Q_jYJZ3hzHE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_jYJZ3hzHE[/video]
[video=youtube;OupKKiX3k80]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OupKKiX3k80[/video]

Last edited:
FYI, Buffs are the home team this year.

And to be honest, I am a little more nervous for this game than I was last year. I still think we win, but CSU will probably give us a better game than last year, or the last 3 meetings at Invesco. I have a feeling it could be like the close games in the mid 00's.

FYI, Buffs are the home team this year.

And to be honest, I am a little more nervous for this game than I was last year. I still think we win, but CSU will probably give us a better game than last year, or the last 3 meetings at Invesco. I have a feeling it could be like the close games in the mid 00's.

Hope it's not closer than 31-28 OT like '07!

I expect a closer game as well, probably for the best anyways. Last year was painful

Lots of youth with experience on the lambs. However it is still the same team more or less that had nothing to offer against a HaLk team.

Pete Thomas = overrated.

:nod:

Forget the Rivals and Scout ratings. In this case, ESPN had the right of it.

By the time he chose CSU, his other committable offers were the Blackburn Beavers, Samford Bulldogs, Valparaiso Crusaders, Wesley College Wolverines, North Central Cardinals, and Harvard.

They rated him as a 2*, 74 grade quarterback.

Here's what that means on the ESPN ratings scale:

Two-star player: 68 to 74.99
A player who flashes developable major college talent and could be a late bloomer. Potential solid starter at the mid-major level.

I would say that's a perfect description of Thomas. He's a high 2*, but that's what he is.

CU wins this game easy.

The only hope CSU ever had was having this the first game of the season and CU coming out flat.

CU gains 250+ on the ground, the majority in the second half. CSU fans leave more morose than usual.

Are the 12 posters on lambnation 35?

No, that is their combined IQ.

I feel more confident than last year but still not as confident as I should feel about beating little brother. Last year I had no confidence because the last time CU faced them they were dancing on our field.

I haven't heard too much about this years Lammies. Apparently Pistol Pete is for real according to Ram fans. Or at least the 12 fans that post on Lambnation.com.
Yup they said that last year to, and it didn't work out very well for them. They seem to say the same thing every year with the same results every year.

not having anyone in front of you to block will do that to a QB.

The problem with Thomas is that he cannot overcome any OL deficiencies because he has a combo that absolutely kills QBs: limited mobility and a slow release. You can usually get by without one, hard to be successful without either. Additionally, his arm strength is average, nothing special. These attributes combined scream stopgap option, not potential 4-year starter.

If the past 5 years have taught me anything, it's not to count any team on the schedule as a W. I cannot wait until that passes. ****ing ****.

As the resident Ram fan I will give you my two cents.

* QB - Pete Thomas is what he is right now. Very accurate when given time, but he holds onto the ball to long. If Fairchild has shown anything, its that he can develop QBs. I think Thomas will take a nice step forward this year.
* The O-Line will definitely be the strength of the team this season. The center, Weston Richburg was a freshman all-american and will anchor and overall improved unit.
* The wideouts look like they are a collection of average talent. The hope is that Law (6'4 200) steps up and that Greenwood (6'0 200) takes another step forward.
* The running backs look like a strenth. The backfield looks like it goes three deep and if I had to guess, I think the Soph. Nwoke out of Thunder Ridge will be a borderline all conference player when the season ends. I also wouldn't be suprised to see one of the true freshman Brown, Riddick or Alexander get some carries.

* On defense the D-Line is the weakest unit on the team. R-FR Froland looks like he will be a good one, but he needs to add weight. I wouldn't be suprised to see alot of 3-4 out of CSU this season.
* The LBs look solid and deep. Soph. Mike Orakpo (Former 1st round pick Brian Orakpo's brother) looks like he is going to be a real good one. Sisson is always around the ball.
* The secondary looks pretty good. Blu-Smith moved back to his more natural position of corner. CSU will start either a redshirt freshman or true freshman in his vacated saftey position.

Overall I think CSU will be far more competetive than it was last season, but it will need to run the ball behind that line. This year sort of reminds me of the 2009 game. If CSU can control the line on offense they have a chance. If not, the game could get out of hand quickly because this defense is not built to nor is it capable of keeping people off the scoreboard.

As the resident Ram fan I will give you my two cents.

* QB - Pete Thomas is what he is right now. Very accurate when given time, but he holds onto the ball to long. If Fairchild has shown anything, its that he can develop QBs. I think Thomas will take a nice step forward this year.
* The O-Line will definitely be the strength of the team this season. The center, Weston Richburg was a freshman all-american and will anchor and overall improved unit.
* The wideouts look like they are a collection of average talent. The hope is that Law (6'4 200) steps up and that Greenwood (6'0 200) takes another step forward.
* The running backs look like a strenth. The backfield looks like it goes three deep and if I had to guess, I think the Soph. Nwoke out of Thunder Ridge will be a borderline all conference player when the season ends. I also wouldn't be suprised to see one of the true freshman Brown, Riddick or Alexander get some carries.

* On defense the D-Line is the weakest unit on the team. R-FR Froland looks like he will be a good one, but he needs to add weight. I wouldn't be suprised to see alot of 3-4 out of CSU this season.
* The LBs look solid and deep. Soph. Mike Orakpo (Former 1st round pick Brian Orakpo's brother) looks like he is going to be a real good one. Sisson is always around the ball.
* The secondary looks pretty good. Blu-Smith moved back to his more natural position of corner. CSU will start either a redshirt freshman or true freshman in his vacated saftey position.

Overall I think CSU will be far more competetive than it was last season, but it will need to run the ball behind that line. This year sort of reminds me of the 2009 game. If CSU can control the line on offense they have a chance. If not, the game could get out of hand quickly because this defense is not built to nor is it capable of keeping people off the scoreboard.

I hope you're right. CU soon.

The problem with Thomas is that he cannot overcome any OL deficiencies because he has a combo that absolutely kills QBs: limited mobility and a slow release. You can usually get by without one, hard to be successful without either. Additionally, his arm strength is average, nothing special. These attributes combined scream stopgap option, not potential 4-year starter.

I think its WAY to early to be making those types of judgments about Thomas. The kid didn't turn 19 until week 5 of the season last year. His release was slow last season because he struggled to recognize defenses at times. That's not uncommon for any young QB. I saw Thomas at the spring game and his overall game looks improved, he has a nice deep ball and he is accurate, which is something you can't coach. Time will tell how he improves to the point many CSU fans hope, but at this stage of his career, he is a smart and competetive kid who has a chance to take a nice step forward this year with some improved line play.

I think its WAY to early to be making those types of judgments about Thomas. The kid didn't turn 19 until week 5 of the season last year. His release was slow last season because he struggled to recognize defenses at times. That's not uncommon for any young QB. I saw Thomas at the spring game and his overall game looks improved, he has a nice deep ball and he is accurate, which is something you can't coach. Time will tell how he improves to the point many CSU fans hope, but at this stage of his career, he is a smart and competetive kid who has a chance to take a nice step forward this year with some improved line play.
You can't coach deep and accurate?

QB: Hansen over Thomas. I'll take a 4th year senior, plus he has much better mobility. CU
RB: Speedy over anyone on CSU roster. Maybe more depth for CSU but Tony Jones is still there. CU
FB: CSU lost Pauga. Harrington looks like a natural. CU
WR: Richardson and Toney are better than anyone CSU has esp with the loss of Steele. CU
TE: Deehan is better than a DE turned TE in Gilmore
OL: Maybe a close battle. But, I'd take Bakhtiari and Miller over anyone on CSU's OL. Plus lots of experience. CU
DL: Definite advantage for CU. We have 4 DT's better than anyone on CSU's roster. Hartigan is better than any DE, along with Uzo. CU
LB: Sisson and Orakpo are a pretty good duo actually. Too much experience for CU's LB corps. Major is still a stud but. CSU
CB: Way too much inexperience for CU. Elijah Blu is a head hunter, we know all about that. CSU
S: Polk and Perkins with tons of experience. CU
K: DeLine is garbage. Oliver hasn't shown much but he won't miss Extra Points like DeLine. CU
P: Kontiakados? is actually pretty good. CU punters are inconsistent. CSU

Intangibles: Normally go to CSU in this series. However, it is not the 1st game of the season and CSU's team is no longer filled with a bunch of CU rejects.
Coaching: CSU lost a good coach to ASU. Also, Fairchild is pretty bad. You aren't a good coach and lose 44-0 in the last game of the season to a bad Wyo team. Also, our ST's/TE coach was a candidate to be CSU head coach a couple years back. That should tell you something about the depth of our staff. CU

We'll roll them this year. Next year is when it gets closer

Thomas put up a big zero on the scoreboard against Wyo. That's 12 games of experience. FAIL

TE: Deehan is better than a DE turned TE in Gilmore

I am telling you right now, don't underestimate Gilmore. He was recruited as a tight end, but filled in last season on defense because of the lack of depth on the line. The kid is an amazing athelete with nice hands. Of all the players on CSU's roster I think Gilmore has the best chance of making an NFL roster at this stage of his career.

Back