What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

September 17 - Colorado @ Colorado State (Denver)

"That's a spot, kind of like our defensive line, where I don't think we're looking for one guy," Fairchild said. "We're looking for a bunch of guys because we usually play two or three guys there. And, with running backs, you really can't tell until you put pads on and make guys miss, break tackles."
Fairhawk....

Weird that their 2011 promo video shows the 24-3 scoreboard from last year, along with a shot of CU charging out of the tunnel. It's like they got confused...

I haven't obsessively studied the Rams like I'm sure some have here, but as I see it, on offense Pete Thomas will take a step forward but will be hampered by wide receivers are unproven (and mediocre at best) and an OLine that is a classic case of "Well, they return all except one guy, but is that really a good thing when they were absolutely horrendous last season?". They'll do a lot of running by committee, but definitely need someone to step up in that department or they're in trouble. On D they have an undersized DLine but a surprisingly solid LB corps. Secondary is more meh.

Not sure we beat the Rams by 3 TD's like last year, but this should be a relatively easy W. Something like 30-17

If they can't find 6 wins from a schedule including Northern Colorado, New Mexico, Utah State, San Jose State, UTEP, UNLV and Wyoming then they are more hopeless than I thought.

Their OLine should be improved.... they were very young last year. I saw Pete a few times last year and I'm not that impressed. We we can generate pressure up the middle, then he will throw some picks. Their WRs and RB are pretty average.

I like our chances run on them, forcing them to stack the box. Once that happens, you run PA bootlegs and let Hansen beat them with his wheels, find the TE in the flat, or go over the top to Richardson.

Luckily, we will have a good sense for how the game is going to play out since it is the third of the season, rather than the first.

I haven't heard too much about this years Lammies. Apparently Pistol Pete is for real according to Ram fans. Or at least the 12 fans that post on Lambnation.com.

Here's a decent preview for everyone:
Colorado State Rams 2011 Preview: QB Pete Thomas has CSU on the Move in MWC

I apologize in advance for the vid.
[video=youtube;Q_jYJZ3hzHE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_jYJZ3hzHE[/video]
[video=youtube;OupKKiX3k80]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OupKKiX3k80[/video]

No amount of special effects made that CSU team look dynamic. There was one tremendous hit, mind you, that was really spectacular, but aside from that, I saw a whole lot of lame. Of course, it was a 3-9 season in the MWC, so a whole lot of lame is what you get, even with the most positive spin.

But wait! Hold on just a golldarn moment!!! Did they run onto the field with a ****ing sheep (probably in every sense of the word)???!!!! Seriously??!!

I attended CU from 90 to 94, and have been watching these Rocky Mountain Square Dance games all along, but how did I miss this one, fantastic fact?? I knew there was a sheep on the sideline wearing a blanket and looking tough. I knew this. And I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I knew its name was "Cam the Sheep" (Christ, it doesn't even rhyme), but somehow, I've been blissfully unaware that the sheep runs on the field ahead of the team!!! Seriously, that's ridiculous. Stop doing that!

I'd argue the difference between running out on the field behind the sheep and not, is at least two more wins, even if nothing else changes.

This is terrible! Hahahahahaahahahahaahahaha! You see...it's a SHEEP, and it runs out on the field ahead of the team! Hahahahahaaha. Raaaawr--I'm a sheep! Whew! How did I miss this for 20 ****ing years? Did I used to know it, and somehow forgot? I don't see how. Hahahahahahaha!

The best part...I was at the first RMSD at Mile High and Cam ran over one of the cheerleaders as she was cartwheeling/tumbling in front of the team. Maybe she reminded him of another grass-eater and he tried to get him some.

The best part...I was at the first RMSD at Mile High and Cam ran over one of the cheerleaders as she was cartwheeling/tumbling in front of the team. Maybe she reminded him of another grass-eater and he tried to get him some.
Spent 40 days and 40 nights at the Intercontinental in Bahrain. Smoked a lot of cigars.

[h=1]Rams to hold spring practice in Denver[/h]
"We have more than 70,000 former students, and 43,000 grads, in the metro area, and we want to continue to reach out to the fanbase in Denver," CSU athletic director Paul Kowalczyk said Tuesday. "We're going to give them a great day at the park."

http://www.denverpost.com/csu/ci_18741648

I wasn't sure if including the quote from the DP would get AllBuffs in any trouble. Feel free to delete if you want.

Is that 113k total or is that 70k (among whom, 43k graduated)?

I thought it would be more, either way.

Could be a breakout year for Marquise. There always seems to be a CSU WR that shreds the Buffs.

[h=1]CSU receiver's new mentality is missing ingredient[/h]
At 6-foot-4 and 193 pounds, Law always has been a big target on passes over the middle, and he's got the kind of breakaway speed to beat defenders deep, too. The difference this year, coaches said, is that Law is going after the ball harder, leaping up high over defenders to pull down passes that previously would have sailed over his head, or diving to the ground to reel in the low ones.

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20110824/SPORTS/108240327

This game should be a walk-over for the Buffs.

That said the one factor you can't plan for is that this game is the sheep's superbowl. This game is their one shot each year at respectability in the eyes of their fans and the country. They will come in ready to give everything they have and then some, get some lucky breaks and start believing then they will be harder than they should be to beat.

Fortunately they won't have Hawk trying to make the adjustments against them this year and coming off the way they ended last year they may be believing but it will be a fragile belief. Jump on them early and the game could get very ugly.

All CSU fans I know are very, very confident. They are predicting they start off, "at least 4-0."

Spent 40 days and 40 nights at the Intercontinental in Bahrain. Smoked a lot of cigars.
That is a favorite pass time around here but it's ramadan right now...no smoke and no drink out in town. I've made sure to eat some type of pork product as my own ramadan resolution.

CSU should start 4-1 seeing as aside from CU they play an FCS team and 3 of the bottom 10 FBS teams in the nation. I highly doubt they beat CU, there is no reason match-ups or coaching would suggest that would be the case, it's just Rams fans being delusional like every year. Last year Pete Thomas was going to annihilate us and they didn't even get into the red zone. This year Thomas might be improved, but a ****** OLine, terrible running backs, a mediocre at best receiving corps doesn't bode well for them against the better teams on their schedule. That said, if they can't beat New Mexico, Northern Colorado, Utah State and San Jose State then they are really, really bad. The thing is, the probably won't. In addition to losing to CU, they will drop one of the road games - either stumbling on opening day at New Mexico (less likely) or losing at Utah State on 9/24 (more likely). Even a 3-2 start would be a drastic improvement for a team coming off two 3-9 seasons, and would still give them a decent shot at 6-6.

Last edited:
CSU had better worry about going 1-0 before they think about 4-0.

Their first game is on the road at New Mexico, a team that has stunk the last few years but has played well against the Rams. CSU hasn't done well on the road, UNM has hopes of a turnaround season and see CSU as a good way to start it. At the same time the CU game is CSUs superbowl, it is very easy to see them focusing on CU like they always do and getting ambushed by the Lobos.

If that does happen it is very easy to see CSU mentally fall into the same place as they finished last year expecting to lose and just wondering how it is going to happen.

If this happens things could get very ugly in Ft. Collins. Fairchild came in with great expectations but since their one bowl trip things have gone downhill steadily. Get off to a bad start this year with all the expectations and the schedule and those fans they have could be angry. At the same time CSU, much like CU with Hawkins, doesn't have an abundance of money to buy out his contract and doesn't want the political fallout that would result from paying somebody not to coach, especially since unlike CU, the CSU athletic department does take money from the school general fund.

Their fans do realize that to actually improve the talent level those "stud" 2* guys they managed to sign - despite their 1.2 gpa and cheating on the ACT - actually have to make it to campus, right?

CSU looked HORRIBLE against New Mexico. If they've improved from last season, it isn't by much, and that includes Pete Thomas.

I'm really not sure what to think about this game. It's definitely our last "winnable" game on the schedule. I'm just not sure what to think about how the team will perform at Invesco/Sports authority...whatever.

We've handled them pretty easily last season, but I never count them out of these games. It's their super bowl.

Back