What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

September 24, 1994...

DiggerBuffs

I am a little disappointed this isn't amongst the topics of discussion. Where were you? You should remember! It's only one of the biggest plays in college football that have every happened after all!

I was an 8th grader getting back from either my football game at John Dewey or my brother's TJFL game. The Buffs were just lining up for a punt return. I was praying for a blocked punt and 3 Buffs just missed getting there.

Then all I could hope for was a Miracle and The Miracle in Michigan happened after a short little pass and spiked ball and it still sends goose bumps down my spine!

I was a guest lecturer at a DC area university today. I started the class with a clip of the Miracle in Michigan. There were a lot perplexed looks, since neither school in the video was represented in the class. Still, it had to be done.

I just realized that half the current team wasn't even born when that happened.

I was best man in a wedding in the Keys, having forgone my seats in the winning end zone once the wedding date was established. i heard the call on espn as they were showing the Miami-UDub game in the southeast. quickly followed by a replay.

I was in high school working my shift at Wendy's. The manager's office had a little TV and had the game on. We would go back every so often to get updates on the game. I think there were 3 or 4 of us watching that last play. Hopefully no one got away with a free frosty, we wouldn't have cared anyway though if they did.

In my living room at 9658 Shannon Dr., Arvada, CO (our first house). I'd turned 40 in May, so I was a MAN!

I was in the south end of Michigan Stadium with a buddy (and Michigan alum) who had UM season tix ... was still living in Ann Arbor and had no affiliation with CU yet (didn't apply to CU Law until the following February). Was rooting for Michigan as I had for 23 years ... saw an incredible back and forth game. Thought the game was over after Salaam fumbled almost at the goalline right in front of us with about 5 minutes to go.

Then CU drove right down the field on their next possession and scored with Salaam rushing into the endzone. Watched the Hail Mary hang in the air for what seemed like forever. Had a clear view of Westbrook catching the ball ... my bud and me stood there in disbelief with mouths agape ... only sounds in the Big House were the CU players celebrating in the endzone in front of us and the CU fans in the far NE corner of the stadium going nuts.

Eleven months later I matriculated to CU Law ... life can be funny sometimes.

Four of us lived in the top floor quad in Baker. Because it was an away game, we would've been sitting on the tile roof just outside the west windows drinking too much of liquor Mart's very own Bock beer. It came in cases of 24, but at least two would always just randomly explode. Amazing none of us ever fell off the sloped tile. I didn't learn of the miracle until rolling out around noon the next day.

Was at some friends house to watch the game. Had resigned myself to a loss when the miracle happened. Was on cloud 9 all week.

I was in London living in a flat off of the Kilburn Highroad without access to a TV or internet connection.

A friend mailed the cover of the Rocky Mountain News showing a picture of Westbrook's catch. It was hung on the wall.

In Boulder with my girlfriend, sophomore year. She invited me over to watch the game with her upstairs neighbors...turned out to be really cool guys. Started that day with bloody mary's and ended the day with a giant party...keg stands and all!! Think it was a full 17 hours of partying that day...what a great day...and to be young.

In Chicago at bar filed with Michigan fans.

Have absolutely no clue how I got home.

I was going to school at UNC and watching with a group of friends on a TV at Jackson's. We all went bat **** crazy when we saw it, immediately got in a car and drove to Boulder. I attended the most epic house party in the history of house parties that night. We still can't talk about that game or that party without mentioning the other. One of the best days ever.

I was going to school in the northeast (UVM) and the Miami/UDub game was on. Had to watch that game (and/or CNN Headline Sports) to get any updates on the Buffs score. Buffs up early, then we got the highlight for the bomb to Toomer (maybe?), Buffs looked in trouble. I swear the Buffs were stuck on 14 points for two hours. Then they showed the highlight of the Stewart fumble on the goal line, and hope was lost. I stuck with it and remember Musberger saying, "We're going to New York, John Saunders has something big for us!" and they showed the Catch. I ran around an uncaring UVM campus telling anyone who would listen to me what happened. I was on adrenaline all night. Transferred to CU the next year.

Sitting in the living room of my first apartment (Boulder) as a very young adult (21) with a group of buddies. My dad had just knocked on the door visiting from Texas (18 hour drive) as Kordell unleashed the bomb. We almost collapsed to the apartment below when Westbrook caught it. My dad was jumping up and down as much as us and he is a uterus fan. Couple of thoes buddies became CU fans right then and have never looked back. freak'n hilarious

Last edited:
Watched most of the game at the Hungry Toad. Went home (lived on North Street) to change for work that night late in the game. Actually heard the play live on the radio in my friend's car who was driving me to work, already late. I made her stop the car so I could get out and jump around on the side of the road.

I was watching it alone in my apartment and was so disgusted, I turned the TV off. The next thing I hear is a huge roar in the apartment complex. Needless to say, I ran to the TV and turned on the TV. I never turn off close games anymore :huh:

I was a senior in High School. Was at may Dad's friend's house party. He had setup a TV on his back deck, and we almost broke the deck after the catch from jumping up and down.

A buddy of mine from school was telling me all week how there was no way CU could beat Michigan in the Big House. The next week or so was a lot of fun!!!!

Was at a buddy's apartment in La Salle, CO. My wife and I had been married exactly two weeks. I don't do well when watching the Buffs on TV. When it looked like all hope was lost, we left to head into Greeley to get some shoes at the Target there. We decided we'd come back to the apartment and hang out, even with the close loss. We were resigned to the loss but were just watching it to see it to the end. ITB, who was there as well, didn't have shoes on for some reason. He went running out of the apartment and slipped on the tile floor and did a face plant into the wall across the hall.

Good times.

Bar in Vail drunk off my ass and sick of UM fans left at halftime, made it back to my hotel to see the 4th qtr comeback start in the lobby bar. Still not convinced that we would pull it out left the lobby bar for my room with about 3 minutes left in the game. Fully prepared for a nap when the play happened. Proceeded to go back downstairs to the bar and continued drinking.

Sitting in my living room in Woodland Park, eyes glued to the set in utter disbelief. Rabid jubilation was next. It felt like he ran around that backfield for an eternity.

At the Buff alum bar in Boca Raton, FL. I had just been transferred there from Boulder and remember yelling out loud after Kordell released the ball "it's going to make it to the end zone!"

When Westbrook caught it I actually jumped out of my Birkenstocks and couldn't find one. Hey, it was my hippy, Grateful Dead days, so no Birk comments, or as my mom called them, "MY Jesus sandals".

GO BUFFS!!!

I was in Ft. Collins with a bunch of Ram fans of all things.

Those ****ers were jumping up and down just as much as I was.

What I remember almost as much as the Catch was my parents being up that weekend and wanting to go to brunch that next day, and all I wanted to do was watch ESPN (maybe ESPN2?) because they were showing it like every 15 minutes.

It was awesome.

Back