What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Serious Question about Recruiting

I'm not surprised at all that Stanford has the highest percentage of black students at 7.5%. I haven't done the analysis, but I'm willing to bet that their racial demographic generally mirrors that of California as a whole. I am surprised with the relatively low percentage of black students at USC.

Stanford is one of the very few schools that can basically choose it's enrolling class. It's had the most selective admissions in the country for the last few years. They really do say, "OK, now we need an oboist, coxswain, and a transgender student" and send out the acceptance letters.

Stanford is one of the very few schools that can basically choose it's enrolling class. It's had the most selective admissions in the country for the last few years. They really do say, "OK, now we need an oboist, coxswain, and a transgender student" and send out the acceptance letters.

Stanford also takes full advantage of their huge financial endowment. Socio-economic level is not an issue in terms of attending. Other than someone from a fairly wealthy family the financial assistance provided covers all or most of the cost of attending.

They can go into lower income high schools and pull out those highest performing students who are driven earn their way to the top through academics.

This thread sure took a turn.

I like that we discuss these types of issues without shying away from them, but let's keep it cordial and let's not take it away from the topic of recruiting into the realm of politics.

Thank you.

So it would seem the demographics are relatively equal across Pac schools. For kids coming from CA, I don't imagine it to be as much of a culture shock as some are playing it up to be, and certainly not all that different from the programs CU is mostly competing with for recruits.
It probably depends on where they are coming from in Cali. Inner city kids have a huge culture shock when they go to Boulder, but based off the info above, that would pretty much be any School they go to in the Pac 12.

CU needs a staff full of good to great recruiters. Being able to sell the product at CU is bigger than anything else.

I get that. Stanford has a huge pool of equally and exceptionally qualified applicants and can pick and choose amongst the various demographics, especially because it is private. The admitted class demographics at Stanford just happen to turn out to be nearly the same as California as a whole every year. I don't have a problem with this at all, nor should I.

Last edited:
Wow. You lament the fact that Boulder is not very diverse and then say you hope an intelligent, confident, open minded, outgoing black kid is not on the welcoming committee. I guess I could honestly say that I hope you are not on any welcoming committees as well.

If your son is a black man wearing a maga hat, yes, it’s probably for the best that he not be on any welcoming committees.

This thread sure took a turn.

I like that we discuss these types of issues without shying away from them, but let's keep it cordial and let's not take it away from the topic of recruiting into the realm of politics.

Thank you.
7176aa96a84700285fade9e6fd5e92e6.gif

What is the difference between a question and a serious question?
A "question" posed on Allbuffs is an invitation to ridicule the poster with pages of sarcastic comments. A "serious question" is one where the poster hopes to glean some useful info.

Idiot

Recruiting success is all about the 3 P's.

Power. Program. Prestige.

Power. Funny how power rankings looks so similar to the recruiting rankings. Winning on the field leads to wins off of it too.

Program - Great coaches and resources will attract recruits. Nick Saban. Jim Harbaugh. Jimbo Fisher. Urban Meyer. They could go anywhere and recruit 5 stars. And any coach can recruit well when those programs have the most money and best facilities.

Prestige - It takes decades to build it and destroy it. Texas and USC are examples of programs who have been down but still recruit top players due to their history.

Academics and beautiful campuses are a bonus. But every 4 star and 5 star recruit knows they are heading to the NFL in a few years and care more about the 3 P's.

Anyway. If CU can consistently be more successful, the location, beautiful campus, and academics, should give them a definite recruiting advantage

As I mentioned, "proximity to home" is the biggest predictor. (1)

Next is whether it is a P5 program. (2)

Next is the "big time offer" thing. i.e., where the program falls on the scale of "likely to compete for championships" to "may not go bowling during my college career". (3)

Next is "coaching". i.e., whether the program has a big time head coach and what the track record is for developing guys to make it to the NFL. (4)

After that, it's hard to generalize and depends so much on what the player is looking for. Could be academics or weather or campus life or favorable depth chart or some other factor. It's unlikely a school is going to win a recruiting battle on one of these factors unless it's a tiebreaker on the stuff above.

Last, while there's an order to those first 4 factors, being especially strong or weak on some can kill you. Great example is CU. Hawkins killed things in-state in the beginning when CU was known as a mediocre program that competed in its division and went bowling every year. At the time, Hawkins was known as one of the biggest winners in CFB and had a lot of juice. He recruited great his first 2 years. It fell apart in his 3rd class when he missed making a bowl game -- which was especially impactful because his strategy was to bring in his official visitors after the season. After that losing season, there just wasn't any momentum and there were no bowl practices. I remain convinced that if our Buffs could have found 1 more win during that 2008 season (at aTm or NU, most likely) and become bowl eligible, that the program would have never sunk to the level it did. Hawkins would not have worked out here - he wasn't good on this level and both his development & attrition were horrible, but it wouldn't have gotten as bad as it did.

Our niece married a black guy who served in the Marines and lives in San Diego, he is very uncomfortable in Boulder.
Because he's black? Or because he's a Marine? Or because there's no ocean and it could feel a little claustrophobic? Not be facetious.

I was actually a little uncomfortable when I showed up to Boilder as a freshman. While Davis, CA would brand themselves as staunchly liberal, we had one high school and it was straight out of the movie Disturbing Behaviour. When I showed up I got the "nice polo shirt", "sweet topsiders" "what do you mean you don't smoke up" "check out this weirdo, he doesn't hacky sack" "of courses you played sports in high school, fascist". Being in the business school ended up helping, but I also just learned how accept and fit in in any environment, even in my ROTC uniform. Now I find that kind of homogeny (like my high school) unsettling.

It’s too bad a recruiting discussion has evolved into a political/racial discussion. One thing I find great about athletics is that it provides an opportunity to kids who may not otherwise have one to attend great universities. It brings young men and women of all backgrounds together with a common goal and they often become friends for life regardless of their background.

It’s too bad a recruiting discussion has evolved into a political/racial discussion. One thing I find great about athletics is that it provides an opportunity to kids who may not otherwise have one to attend great universities. It brings young men and women of all backgrounds together with a common goal and they often become friends for life regardless of their background.

The original posting was asking about why kids from the inner-city wouldn’t want to go to Boulder. There are many reasons. The whiteness of Boulder and the Colorado campus is a big one. I guess that makes you uncomfortable.

The original posting was asking about why kids from the inner-city wouldn’t want to go to Boulder. There are many reasons. The whiteness of Boulder and the Colorado campus is a big one. I guess that makes you uncomfortable.
Guess again.

Mods,
Please change thread title to:

There are various reasons why CU might have difficulty attracting recruits but regardless of your own ethnicity or skin color, one thing is clear - Stanford is an awesome university in every respect and some of the posters here would kneel down and blow their grads if asked.

Thanks,
Flukes

It’s not too bad. These are real issues and they should be discussed. We don’t need to pretend they don’t exist.

Mods,
Please change thread title to:

There are various reasons why CU might have difficulty attracting recruits but regardless of your own ethnicity or skin color, one thing is clear - Stanford is an awesome university in every respect and some of the posters here would kneel down and ask if the could blow their grads.

Thanks,
Flukes
fify, but yep. This. So much this.

Because he's black? Or because he's a Marine? Or because there's no ocean and it could feel a little claustrophobic? Not be facetious.

I was actually a little uncomfortable when I showed up to Boilder as a freshman. While Davis, CA would brand themselves as staunchly liberal, we had one high school and it was straight out of the movie Disturbing Behaviour. When I showed up I got the "nice polo shirt", "sweet topsiders" "what do you mean you don't smoke up" "check out this weirdo, he doesn't hacky sack" "of courses you played sports in high school, fascist". Being in the business school ended up helping, but I also just learned how accept and fit in in any environment, even in my ROTC uniform. Now I find that kind of homogeny (like my high school) unsettling.
Because he's black. He had been pretty much surrounded by white people most of his life, however, Boulder is too white. He said it felt like a place where he would be arrested for walking across someone's yard.

Judging by the reactions in this thread the only thing making people uncomfortable is your societal bigotry.

Back