What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sheriron Jones Transferring To CU

Call me crazy, but I'm not sure it's fair to judge this staff on the lack of development of Dillon, Hirschman and Webb.
What about Sefo, Gherke and Apsay? I agree that it's way too early to say anything about Apsay but the staff has been in place long enough to judge them on their own merit (recruiting and development).

Yes. In fact, I'd say that this has never been a CU strength going back to the McCartney days. Mostly because he couldn't stick with an offensive system he loved. Wanted to be pro style. Fell back to option. When it worked and he saw the limitations, he tried to go back to pro. What he was looking for all those years was the spread option that hadn't been invented yet. After that, it has almost seemed like the position hasn't been emphasized at CU.

I dont agree.

Koy Detmer? Agreed not to recruit another QB in order to get him.

McCartney liked that option offense because he saw that it was effective against most defenses. That changed over time as defensive players became as fast and as athletic as offensive players.

McCartney like that two tight end, two receiver set, with QB always under center because he could run or pass on any play with the same personnel package always in the game. The other team couldn't tell what we were going to do. Defenses were forced to have in personnel that could defend the run, defend the long ball, and defend the screen or flat pass to the TE. I think this offense was a maturation of McCartney's genius. But it was dependent on great players at all positions and in '94 thats what we had.

Or did you mean "since the McCartney days"?

I meant "since the McCartney days". From Sal's recruitment through Kordell, Mac1 knew that the ability to win a championship hinges on QB playmaking.

Sefo hasn't developed at all. In fact, I think he has regressed. Injuries may have contributed to that regression. The fact remains that the Sefo we saw in 2015 really wasn't any better than the Sefo we saw in 2013. I have little faith that the Sefo we will see in 2016 will represent any kind of significant improvement, either.
Now, is that because the coaches can't develop him or because he had reached his ceiling in 2013? I tend to believe the latter.

But look at Alabama (or Florida, et. al) who bring in a top ranked QB or more EVERY year and yet get stuck without a QB sometimes. It's just not a perfect science. To moan on about QB development and the case of Connor Woods is laughable when you got a bunch of teams with year-in/out great recruiting classes and no QB.

If it was a perfect science, we'd pick the champions in February!

But look at Alabama (or Florida, et. al) who bring in a top ranked QB or more EVERY year and yet get stuck without a QB sometimes. It's just not a perfect science. To moan on about QB development and the case of Connor Woods is laughable when you got a bunch of teams with year-in/out great recruiting classes and no QB.

Exactly. It's how Memphis ends up having the best college QB this year. The recruiting story of Paxton Lynch is a great read: http://247sports.com/Article/Memphi...urney-through-the-recruiting-process-40463772

What I've seen of Wevb reminds me of Fales at SJSU and I'm guessing that is what MM is trying to sell. A QB that can make quick decisions and get the ball out of his hands and to the playmakers will make the OL job a bit less critical to our success.

Sefo hasn't developed at all. In fact, I think he has regressed. Injuries may have contributed to that regression. The fact remains that the Sefo we saw in 2015 really wasn't any better than the Sefo we saw in 2013. I have little faith that the Sefo we will see in 2016 will represent any kind of significant improvement, either.
Now, is that because the coaches can't develop him or because he had reached his ceiling in 2013? I tend to believe the latter.
+1

Exactly. It's how Memphis ends up having the best college QB this year. The recruiting story of Paxton Lynch is a great read: http://247sports.com/Article/Memphi...urney-through-the-recruiting-process-40463772

Careful, you two. This is getting awfully close into making this thread into a "stars don't matter" thread.

Ah the glory days though, with some of the best dual threat QBs in college football in history with Hagan and then Kordell.

Careful, you two. This is getting awfully close into making this thread into a "stars don't matter" thread.

Of course they matter. A 4-star has double the shot of working out as a 2-star at QB! But a bunch of them will also never play. It's risky business. No QB I want on the team is going to back out because a more highly rated QB is coming to Colorado!

Stars don't matter in and of themselves. It's what goes into being granted that rating that matters. Great film, camp performances, leading a team to a great season, big-time offers, etc. If CU could sign twenty 4* players a year, I'm very confident we'd have an excellent team. But there is also talent evaluation and finding players that other programs didn't have the confidence to pull the trigger on... like Florida with Paxton Lynch or Oklahoma State (we hope) with Steven Montez. The important thing is that you do a good job with evaluations and bring in as many super-talented guys to stock the roster and compete at QB as you possibly can... because most of them don't end up being difference-makers no matter what their bona fides were coming out of high school.

Stars don't matter in and of themselves. It's what goes into being granted that rating that matters. Great film, camp performances, leading a team to a great season, big-time offers, etc. If CU could sign twenty 4* players a year, I'm very confident we'd have an excellent team. But there is also talent evaluation and finding players that other programs didn't have the confidence to pull the trigger on... like Florida with Paxton Lynch or Oklahoma State (we hope) with Steven Montez. The important thing is that you do a good job with evaluations and bring in as many super-talented guys to stock the roster and compete at QB as you possibly can... because most of them don't end up being difference-makers no matter what their bona fides were coming out of high school.
Exactly, Neuheimlich had some great recruiting classes here, on paper. In actuality, he recruited a backfield largely suited for a dwarf tossing competition.

Getting high star qb prospects but I think what some don't realize is how one good quarterback can hurt your depth chart for a couple years. UCLA is going to have issues like they did this year getting a highly ranked QB because of Rosen and others behind him on the depth chart are going to leave. Basically you have to be right when bringing in someone of that caliber.

If nothing else, doesn't it help in recruiting other offensive players? For better or worse, QB recruiting kinda sets the table for the offensive class as a whole. This has gotta be a selling point for 2017 recruits, right?

If nothing else, doesn't it help in recruiting other offensive players? For better or worse, QB recruiting kinda sets the table for the offensive class as a whole. This has gotta be a selling point for 2017 recruits, right?

2016 recruits too, I'm talking to you Dymond Lee

You know what the worst thing is about social media, forums, comments, message boards, etc? The tendency for people to focus on negatives. The pessimists. Haters. Debbie Downers. Whatever you want to call them. We got a four star dual threat QB. You'd think there would be high fives all around. Instead we have people making the following statements:
  • I do wonder if this will have an impact on class balance and team chemistry. (Sackman)
  • Have we heard anything about guys leaving our program? Getting a four star athlete is a good thing but Im concerned about how few scholarships we have to give. (BuffsRising)
  • Huge get. But, I am completely disappointed in the quality of recruiting kind out of HS. 2 and 3 stars do not cut it and MM needs to figure outh ow to change this issue. (jackthewall)
  • Or we could point out that when he had a second shot at him Mac didn't bother to go after him. So instead of spending two years in our system and being eligible now, he has to sit a year. (White_Rabbit)
  • His quote about MM making an impression is great and all, but why couldn't we close him then rather than providing a soft landing for him! Need to close recruits, not just leave a impression on them (BuffHerd)
  • This means nothing unless our coaching staff can start developing our QBs. Based on the very mediocre (at best) development of the other Qbs on our roster, I'm starting to have serious doubts if we would do better even if we landed the next Payton Manning. More fodder for the cannon is good but we are currently not short on fodder... JMO. (SJBuff)
Now I'm not saying that these people are 100% negative all the time. Some are among the best posters on this site. I'm also not suggesting that we should all be sunshine pumpers all the time. I'm just saying that news of a four star QB should be celebrated as unquestionably great and instead a lot of people just can't help but try to find some negatives buried here or take this opportunity to bash the staff. There is a time and a place for that and this thread isn't it. I know how beat down we are as a fanbase, but c'mon! Can't we just enjoy the great news for a couple of days?

Last edited:
You know what the worst thing about social media, forums, comments, message boards, etc is? The tendency for people to focus on negatives. The pessimists. Haters. Debbie Downers. Whatever you want to call them. We got a four star dual threat QB. You'd think there would be high fives all around. Instead we have people making the following statements:
  • I do wonder if this will have an impact on class balance and team chemistry. (Sackman)
  • Have we heard anything about guys leaving our program? Getting a four star athlete is a good thing but Im concerned about how few scholarships we have to give. (BuffsRising)
  • Huge get. But, I am completely disappointed in the quality of recruiting kind out of HS. 2 and 3 stars do not cut it and MM needs to figure outh ow to change this issue. (jackthewall)
  • Or we could point out that when he had a second shot at him Mac didn't bother to go after him. So instead of spending two years in our system and being eligible now, he has to sit a year. (White_Rabbit)
  • His quote about MM making an impression is great and all, but why couldn't we close him then rather than providing a soft landing for him! Need to close recruits, not just leave a impression on them (BuffHerd)
  • This means nothing unless our coaching staff can start developing our QBs. Based on the very mediocre (at best) development of the other Qbs on our roster, I'm starting to have serious doubts if we would do better even if we landed the next Payton Manning. More fodder for the cannon is good but we are currently not short on fodder... JMO. (SJBuff)
Now I'm not saying that these people are 100% negative all the time. Some are among the best posters on this site. I'm also not suggesting that we should all be sunshine pumpers all the time. I'm just saying that news of a four star QB should be celebrated as unquestionably great and instead a lot of people just can help but try to find some negatives buried here or take this opportunity to bash the staff. There is a time and a place for that and this thread isn't it. I know how beat down we are as a fanbase, but c'mon! Can't we just enjoy the great news for a couple of days?[/QUOTE]
apparently not without calling others out....

Fair enough. But we do have a tendency to see our latest QB acquisition as "the one" and then find out that they don't really have it. Some of that may be talent but some of that, IMO, is because our QBs never develop the talent they had after coming here.
What do you mean "we"? The gap between HS all-stars and good college QBs, is as immense as the gap between college and pros!

This board lamented the losses of Austin Hinder, Cyler Miles or that De Rio kid. NONE of them panned out. The talent at all factors needed to succeed at the next level is always hit or miss. Shoot, Shane Dillon and Cody Hawkins were both "Elite 11" QBs in HS, as was Miles.

You know what the worst thing about social media, forums, comments, message boards, etc is? The tendency for people to focus on negatives. The pessimists. Haters. Debbie Downers. Whatever you want to call them. We got a four star dual threat QB. You'd think there would be high fives all around. Instead we have people making the following statements:
Now I'm not saying that these people are 100% negative all the time. Some are among the best posters on this site. I'm also not suggesting that we should all be sunshine pumpers all the time. I'm just saying that news of a four star QB should be celebrated as unquestionably great and instead a lot of people just can help but try to find some negatives buried here or take this opportunity to bash the staff. There is a time and a place for that and this thread isn't it. I know how beat down we are as a fanbase, but c'mon! Can't we just enjoy the great news for a couple of days?

I'll say that!

What do you mean "we"? The gap between HS all-stars and good college QBs, is as immense as the gap between college and pros!

This board lamented the losses of Austin Hinder, Cyler Miles or that De Rio kid. NONE of them panned out. The talent at all factors needed to succeed at the next level is always hit or miss. Shoot, Shane Dillon and Cody Hawkins were both "Elite 11" QBs in HS, as was Miles.

Cyler Miles clearly had a number of issues but I actually think he would have been a very good college QB had things worked out. This is based on seeing him on the field a few times.

Back