What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Shot Clock - Reducing to 24 Seconds

Should the NCAA Reduce the Shot Clock to 24 Seconds?

• Yes

Votes: 26 45.6%
  • No

Votes: 31 54.4%

• Total voters
I think he's reacting as a fan of the college game rather than as a coach in his current situation. So many upsets that have defined the sport (e.g., NC State over Houston & Villanova over Georgetown, among many others) would never have happened if there had been a 30 second shot clock for those games. Tad is absolutely right that this rule change would reduce parity. It would be much more about talent and much less about coaches defining the sport.
Which is what the fans of the game want to see. There is a reason college basketball isn't popular 11 months out of the year.

Which is what this fan of the game want to see. There is a reason college basketball isn't popular 11 months out of the year.
I love the upsets and coaching duels. If I wanted to see a game all about the players and 1 on 1 style of offense I would start watching the crappiest game on tv, the NBA.

I love the upsets and coaching duels. If I wanted to see a game all about the players and 1 on 1 style of offense I would start watching the crappiest game on tv, the NBA.

You mean that thing that tons more people watch? Most of the country doesn't care one thing about college basketball outside of the NCAA tournament because they would say college basketball is the boring version of the sport.

You mean that thing that tons more people watch? Most of the country doesn't care one thing about college basketball outside of the NCAA tournament because they would say college basketball is the boring version of the sport.
Looking at the poll, I would venture to say that you are wrong.

There's a pretty interesting article on tempo in college basketball in Grantland from mid-February.

I like this quote, it sums up my sentiments pretty well.

"I don't think teams seriously look to score in transition enough," he says. "You get 20 seconds of, 'We're kind of looking to score, we're passing the ball but really not doing anything.' And then, 'OK, here we go, 12 seconds on the shot clock, here comes the high ball screen.' That's when I change the channel and look for a different game."

Looking at TV ratings outside of the NCAA tournament say I'm right. Don't let the fans who are influenced by our head coaches opinions tell you different.
I haven't based anything off of our coach's comments. I don't like the pro game but do like the college game.

There's a pretty interesting article on tempo in college basketball in Grantland from mid-February.

I like this quote, it sums up my sentiments pretty well.

"I don't think teams seriously look to score in transition enough," he says. "You get 20 seconds of, 'We're kind of looking to score, we're passing the ball but really not doing anything.' And then, 'OK, here we go, 12 seconds on the shot clock, here comes the high ball screen.' That's when I change the channel and look for a different game."

This. College teams don't even start to run an offense in the half-court set until deep into the shot clock. If that is the case, why not shorten the shot clock?

Back