What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Should Cabral be the next HC?

Cabral is no Bill Stewart or Dabo Sweeney. His Buff blood runs deep and he understands the Pride and Tradition, hell, he's the one that has kept the pride and tradition alive on life support(along with connection to ex players) during the recent darkness. I hope he is considered, and that if he isn't hired the man that is brings the same or greater character and resolve to the position. We don't need a big splash, we need a rock to build on.

Cabral has been decisive in the short time he has been in charge.
While he says he doesn't know much about the offensive side, he took him no time to decide to delegate and focus his energy on changing the culture inside Dal Ward.

Guys like Solder lament not knowing about the traditions earlier. The names are back on the jerseys. The connection with former players is immediate. The team is playing loose and having fun.

All the while, Cabral comes off as appriciative, relaxed, humble, and successful. This is a big week for the Buffs and after watching last night's A&M / Husker game, T+1 is looking less like a no-hoper, and more like a situation where one coach is comfortable in his own skin with and another coach who is close to blowing a gasket.

One team acts as if the genie has been let out of a bottle. Colorado has a balanced attack and a defense who can stop the run.

The other has obvious tension going on amongst offensive playmakers.
Nebraska's defense is sound, and may have the best defense yet. But the offense is in disarray.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cabral is no Bill Stewart or Dabo Sweeney. His Buff blood runs deep and he understands the Pride and Tradition, hell, he's the one that has kept the pride and tradition alive on life support(along with connection to ex players) during the recent darkness. I hope he is considered, and that if he isn't hired the man that is brings the same or greater character and resolve to the position. We don't need a big splash, we need a rock to build on.

He is definitely a rock. He got his guys to rally from a double digit deficit to take a double deficit lead. I was pretty shocked. I love what he does on D, although I think he was a little overly conservative in the late 3d/4th when he went away from the blitzing and let the KSU pos QB pick us apart. But still, it took two miracle 4th and long plays for KSU to stay in the game, and snyder is a good coach.

God, I really hope Cabral stays on in some capacity. It will be hard for him to do that now tho.

What if he wins 4 straight? That's the point I start to think he might be the guy. This is a different team we're seeing right now. The only question is why they're different...
Unfortunately, the 4th win won't be considered because the new coach should have been named by then. But if he wins decisively in Lincoln? Those questions you're asking better be the same ones Bohn's asking.

If he does win the 4th in a bowl game, there will be a lot of second guessing for sure.

I am more hoping that whoever CU hires considers BC as the DC. Maybe even assistant HC. Gives BC a huge boost on his resume for a HC job somewhere else, or at that point as the next CU HC later on. How much of this is really BC making changes, and how much is BC simply taking the reigns off of Keisau? I think Dan made alot of those coaches do things in games that they did not want to do. maybe BC is simply doing nothing other than letting them coach. Not sure how that works in the long run. I would rather have Miles, Mac, or EB-- with BC as the DC for any of those HC candidates.

I don't think so. His haircut just isn't up to snuff. Although he gets points for the stache.

I dont really know but I wouldnt be pissed if Cabral is the guy. He deserves to get looked at. Coaching isnt all x's and o's, the players clearly respond to him, thats a big part of it. See how it goes but we could do worse than Cabral.

What if he wins 4 straight? That's the point I start to think he might be the guy. This is a different team we're seeing right now. The only question is why they're different...

Here's one thing that's different............................

Friday night at the Omni Hotel, Cabral personally handed out the jerseys with the names on the back to the players. This guy is a warrior, he has what it takes to light a fire in his players and they respond to him. Im not picking sides, others are far better at selecting the next head coach than us internet backseat drivers, but wouldn't it be funny to find out after five years, we had the best guy for the program right under our noses the whole time?

Let's theorize that CU's "A" listers don't pan out this year...

Would giving BC a 1 or 2 year "interim HC" label be a horrible idea? If CU doesn't get their guy I would hate to see them settle and end up with a dud coach with a multi-year contract.

I think the biggest question mark for any HC (without prior HC experience, and this goes for EB too) would be the ability to bring in top flight assistants who are relentless recruiters...

As much as I admire and respect BC, I'm not convinced that he is the long-term solution. He has brought back a semblance of Buffalo football, but let's be realistic - he won two home games against mediocre teams. Let's see what happens this week against the nubs.

I believe that he deserves a serious interview with the committee. One of the things that I would want to ask him is what his plans for the staff would be. He would likely be in the position to have to dismiss the better part of the existing staff. Who does he have in mind to bring in?

If BC is chosen as the next HC, I would not be against it. However, I hope that Mike Bohn and the search committee turn over every rock to find the best person to lead the Buffs into the Pac-12. If that person turns out to be BC, great. If it is someone else, I hope that BC is still connected with the program.

this comment is not intended to offend -

I love Cabral but I wonder about his public speaking. He wears his emotions on his sleeve and when he's being interviewed/speaking to a group he tends to stumble on his words at times. Sometimes I wonder how that is perceived by somebody who may not know him. He also tends says what he's thinking when maybe it was something that maybe he should have kept to himself. I don't know...it's hard to explain... Almost like a politician who's very good but will never be President because he's not 'Presidential.' I may not be explaining it the right way.

I share your concern, but I am not sure what the impact would be on team results.

I really like Cabral, but not as HC. I think we're going a little overboard with us actually winning two games, at home, against average opponents. If he takes us into Lincoln and the team runs over Nebraska, I might buy into BC as HC a little more.

No....not if we want to return to dominance. He is a great dude, but not as the CEO.

Let's theorize that CU's "A" listers don't pan out this year...

Would giving BC a 1 or 2 year "interim HC" label be a horrible idea? If CU doesn't get their guy I would hate to see them settle and end up with a dud coach with a multi-year contract.

I think the biggest question mark for any HC (without prior HC experience, and this goes for EB too) would be the ability to bring in top flight assistants who are relentless recruiters...

1 or 2 year interim coach doesn't give recruits a lot of confidence. Pretty hard to get kids to commit to an interim guy. You either go with Cabral as HC and commit to him or you don't.

Back