What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Should Rodney Stewart be starting?

Duff Man

Club Member
Club Member
Junta Member
I know he has been a fan favorite since his freshman year, but he seems to be regressing. He is running sideways a good majority of the time. With our OL being so inconsistent, we need a more decisive runner to get the majority of the carries.

I still have yet to understand Hagan's rotations and I probably never will. How Stewart already has 67 carries through 3 games is beyond me. He won't hold up.

I don't really care who starts. But Lockridge earned a lot more PT after Saturday. We don't have an every down back, so I guess we will have to go with a rotation. I agree that Speedy's carries seem a little high to me.

I still have yet to understand Hagan's rotations and I probably never will.

11676_thumb.jpg
????

I think we'll see them go with the similar rotation that we saw vs. Hawaii. I agree Speedy seems to have plateaued, but that also may be a result of the OL play. I'd still like to see how Torres develops.

Of course, if we could just get a 5* stud RB recruit in here, our problems would all be solved....

Speaking of 5* RB's who left the program, I see Scott is listed on the USF roster at 239 lbs--getting more out of shape? I think when we recruited him, he was in the neighborhood of 205.

But IF we'd get back to emphasizing the run, man I'd love to see an actual fullback utilized consistently! Remember Drumm leading the way for Brown and Purify?

I'm really starting to wonder if we all didn't love Speedy because he was the only back we really got to see. BLock and Torres really showed some ability. Granted, it was Hawaii, but they picked a hole and went, didn't try dancing around behind the line of scrimmage. Speedy leaves a lot of yards on the field with his indecisiveness.

rodney was a lot better as a true freshman than he is now, i don't know what happened. he seemed faster and tougher. he used to finish off his runs by trying to lay a hit on the defender. now he finishes his runs by tripping over his own feet...

I think we'll see them go with the similar rotation that we saw vs. Hawaii. I agree Speedy seems to have plateaued, but that also may be a result of the OL play. I'd still like to see how Torres develops.

Of course, if we could just get a 5* stud RB recruit in here, our problems would all be solved....

Speaking of 5* RB's who left the program, I see Scott is listed on the USF roster at 239 lbs--getting more out of shape? I think when we recruited him, he was in the neighborhood of 205.

But IF we'd get back to emphasizing the run, man I'd love to see an actual fullback utilized consistently! Remember Drumm leading the way for Brown and Purify?

Speaking of fullbacks, maybe we can get Brandon Schaub back here. He could lead Stewart through the hole with a superman punch, followed by a front kick and a rear-naked choke.

rodney was a lot better as a true freshman than he is now, i don't know what happened. he seemed faster and tougher. he used to finish off his runs by trying to lay a hit on the defender. now he finishes his runs by tripping over his own feet...

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that since that day that Von Miller broke Speedy's ankle, he hasn't been the same since.

Speedy is not an every down back but can be very good as a 1-2 punch/complement to a back that runs north & south....If B-Lock can play like he did and/or JT can take even further strides in successfully making 1 cut and bull dosing forward a bit, Speedy could become much more effective and dangerous.

But without BLock or JT playing that part....more of the same for Speedy

DS - we never knew ye were such a fatass

I like the idea of having a fullback in there too, but it seems to me like it would tip off our play too much at this point. I know it was Hawai'i, but the one back pistol smashmouth style worked great.

I think Speedy is a great back for an OL that can't open holes and allows DLine penetration into the backfield. Over the past two years he was consistently able to turn what should have been a two-yard loss into a three-yard gain. However, when a hole is there, he doesn't seem to hit it as fast or decisively as we saw BLock and Torres do on Saturday. Speedy seems to juke and cut at or behind the line regardless of whether he needs to juke and cut. If our line is indeed able to open holes like we saw on Saturday, I think we need to give BLock the opportunity to get a lot more carries and make Speedy the change of pace/3rd down back.

Speedy is the starter and deserves to be. He's got to make some adjustments to make, but Georgia is the type of game in which he excels.

Speedy is the starter and deserves to be. He's got to make some adjustments to make, but Georgia is the type of game in which he excels.

you are expecting their D to get a lot of penetration are ya? probably not a bad prediction. :cry:

DS - we never knew ye were such a fatass

I like the idea of having a fullback in there too, but it seems to me like it would tip off our play too much at this point. I know it was Hawai'i, but the one back pistol smashmouth style worked great.

I hear you. I think the one back pistol puts such a premium on the OL being on top of their assignments, and when they're focused and handling their assignments, it works well. Of the few highlights I saw, Miller was steamrolling his man and Solder moved his man way out of the way.

On Stewart's 2nd TD, Fernandez (#99) was used as a FB and he took out a blitzing OLB (who probably wouldn't have been in position to make the tackle).

The statement on tipping our play shows just how much this team has gone offensively from where they used to be as a running team. Back then, it was, we're gonna run the ****ing ball and there's nothing you can do to stop us. We saw that attitude in the 2nd half against Hawaii, and for one drive against CSU. If they play with that attitude and focus, they can run the ball pretty well, and even under Hawk, when they've run well they've generally been in the game.

Last edited:
Yes, Stewart should be starting. He is the most versatile and explosive back we have. We need to continue to work on mixing up our formations and run pass combos so we are not as predictable as we are now. Better vs. Hawaii but still needs improvement.

For Georgia, our misdirection running plays worked really well last time, hopefully we work several into our game plan for Speedy, if they decide to come up with a plan.

Speedy does too much "dancing". And I'm not sure he has ever busted one for over 40 yards in his career. With his speed, he should have by now.

Lockridge should definitely get a few more touches after the way he hit the hole vs Hawaii.

On a side note, why do none of our players seem to progress? They all plateau by their sophomore years and don't seem to get much better. Speedy as a freshman looked better than he does now, Hansen last year looked better than Hansen this year, Miller seemed better a couple years ago, Lucas and Hypolite were way worse as seniors than they were before. idk, maybe I'm making too much of nothing.

I think he should get less carries. To me, thats more of an issue than whether he starts or not. We need BLock to produce every week not just against squads like Hawaii. Torres is important as well, he also has better feet and ability than I thought he would.

I like speedy but damn, somebody puts a fingernail at his feet and he trips. Not just him either, many of our players fall victim to weak tackles.

Speedy has earned his starting role. But doesn't mean he needs to be over worked. I like how the RBs have been rotated and if someone has a hot hand they are given the ball.

Stewart (I refuse to call him Speedy when his career long rush is 36 yards) likely would not start at 90-95% of BCS programs. Unfortunately, we don't have a better option now. Lockridge has similar flaws... they are both too small. BL has better straight-line speed, but RS has better lateral quicks. Both can't really break tackles.

Blame it on two things. The Darell Scott fiasco left a gaping hole in the RB corps. Beyond Scott, the coaches failed to diversify the backfield in its recruiting efforts.

I often think back to when we had astroturf at Folsom. While grass looks way cooler, it definitely hinders skill players and neutralizes talent differences.

If Folsom has the new-age fieldturf, I bet Stewart would be a bigger threat to bust a long one.

Stewart (I refuse to call him Speedy when his career long rush is 36 yards) likely would not start at 90-95% of BCS programs. Unfortunately, we don't have a better option now. Lockridge has similar flaws... they are both too small. BL has better straight-line speed, but RS has better lateral quicks. Both can't really break tackles.

Blame it on two things. The Darell Scott fiasco left a gaping hole in the RB corps. Beyond Scott, the coaches failed to diversify the backfield in its recruiting efforts.

True, he hasn't had many long td runs.

IMO, you all are nitpicking on a guy who has to run behind a sub-par line with predictable play calling. Having lateral quickness is a good thing when your 6'8" and 6'9" 300 lbs+ lineman can block diddly squat against any kind of talent. I hate Georgia but Georgia > Hawaii...I hope we "turn the corner" in two weeks.

IMO, you all are nitpicking on a guy who has to run behind a sub-par line with predictable play calling. Having lateral quickness is a good thing when your 6'8" and 6'9" 300 lbs+ lineman can block diddly squat against any kind of talent. I hate Georgia but Georgia > Hawaii...I hope we "turn the corner" in two weeks.

That is part of the problem, he hasnt got to run north south very often because of problems up front. He has done what he had to do to get yards. If we could ever get a consistent push, week in and week out, he might run different. As far as long runs, this guy is more quick than fast. He had better burst before he got hurt by that **** Von Miller but he is still quicker than most.

Speedy is a good back. What makes me happy is that Lockridge finally showed something. Now we have three backs we can rotate.

The bigger problem is the offensive line. Their play is so wildly inconsistent it would be difficult for any back to generate any type of running rhythm. We haven't had a good consistent offensive line since it was made up of mostly Barnett's players. It is clear to me this offensive line has a lot of talent. Therefore it must be the coaching. Hopefully the talent will prevail in spite of the coaching.

Back