What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Should the NCAA or Universities Insure their Players?

boydbuff

Club Member
Club Member
I was thinking about this after the unfortunate problem with Lattimore. You occasionally here of a RB or QB coming back for his senior even though he would have been a 1st round pick and insuring their arms/legs whatever.

Seems to me that these guys are risking their careers and on an unfortunate rare occasion sometimes even their lives, playing football for their university. We can debate all day long whether they should get paid for the millions they bring into the Uni but it seems to me someone should pay to insure them against career and life-threatening injury.

I suspect those players that have insured themselves come from families with enough $ to do so. But the universities or the NCAA could get some kind of major group rate to insure all players maybe in all major sports?

What do you guys think?

Insure them against what, though? What is the loss?

Lattimore is getting his education paid for, whether he is injured or playing.

South Carolina is still playing football games, people are attending football games, they are still on TV.

As far as medical treatment, that is included in his scholarship, I believe.

What kind of insurance does the US Government take out on soldiers who risk their lives, not just livelihood, protecting our way of life?

What kind of insurance does the US Government take out on soldiers who risk their lives, not just livelihood, protecting our way of life?

Actually, the Country does do its part to help take care of their families by providing:

$100,000 death gratuity paid within a few days of death
Burial Benefit
$400,000 life insurance, with premiums paid by the DOD while in combat ops/zone
Surviving spouse / children get free dental and health care for three years (transitional benefit)
Surviving souse/children get ongoing survivor benefit equal to 55% of what would have been full retirement pay
Additionally, in Florida, surviving spouse exempt from property tax forever (already no income tax)

I'm sure there are nuances to this, but there it is in a nutshell.

Back