What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sigh...

i once heard a great former coach at CU say that he liked for the program to find at least one kid a year from in-state from a small high school who had some athletic ability. he said that taking the one kid a year like that paid huge dividends with the entire hs coaching community and that if they found a kid with some athletic ability, then they'd always be able to find a place for him to play, even if it was just special teams.

We all have a pretty good idea who that great former coach was. Funny thing was that a lot of those kids turned out for CU.

Barry Helton came in out of Simla CO. He was a six man football QB in HS, got to CU became the teams punter and was an All-America for two years.

Other pretty good guys out of Colorado small towns include ILB Mark Rimington (Del Norte,) WR Jeff Campbell (Vail,) WR Mark Henry (Fleming,) and some others who contributed to the program.

The political value of having a "local" kid on the CU team was invaluable to the university. Half of eastern Colorado claimed Helton identifying him as the small-town kid made good. If he could do it then their kids could do some special things as well and they mattered.

Looking at this year's class, it definitely looks like Embree and the current coaches have an uphill battle to land in-state players. Of course, every situation is unique and each player has their own reason, but I doubt it's coincidence that most of the top 10 players look like they'll be playing elsewhere.

We all have a pretty good idea who that great former coach was. Funny thing was that a lot of those kids turned out for CU.

Barry Helton came in out of Simla CO. He was a six man football QB in HS, got to CU became the teams punter and was an All-America for two years.

Other pretty good guys out of Colorado small towns include ILB Mark Rimington (Del Norte,) WR Jeff Campbell (Vail,) WR Mark Henry (Fleming,) and some others who contributed to the program.

The political value of having a "local" kid on the CU team was invaluable to the university. Half of eastern Colorado claimed Helton identifying him as the small-town kid made good. If he could do it then their kids could do some special things as well and they mattered.

Solder

How'd I miss. All he did was earn AA honors on a crap team and get drafted in the first round. Of course he was a GB recruit before GB left. One of the few things Hawk was intelligent enough to do was move him to tackle.

Actually I was just focusing on the guys from the Mac era and around. There were some others who contributed on special teams that I didn't list and I am sure I have forgotten somebody else who started from that era.

First to point out that the article in the OP was written by John Henderson, master of making a mockery of CU.

Damnit Boulder. You gotta point that out when linking to articles from that puss bag.

Back