What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Signature win.

Amazed how people automatically count Cal as a loss

Sent from a red light
well, we are probably going to lose, or it is at best a toss up. F/+ rankings like Cal more, while sagarin rankings like CU more. Meh.

Action plan for a potential "Signature Win" date uncertain......

The pursuit of a signature win first requires the Buffs to stop the hemorrhaging that is occurring against the rest of the conference. Especially the upper half of he PAC 12. The initial wins encouraged us die hard fans perhaps we would be competitive in conference games even if we lost. We would take pride being a worthy opponent in games while showing improvement with an eye towards an eventual big win. Well, now what? Hit the reset button back to find a way to be competitive against the conference teams for an entire football game.

Our signature win can only happen after we challenge the other conference teams to play their first string the entire game. All of us are aware of the Buffs challenges in talent (or experience level) especially regarding our line play, but this is the near term acomplishment we must achieve before we take the bar up another notch. Steps are as follows:

1) Take a solid conference team the distance and make them stay on the field in a competitive game (Cal excluded as they our in our same boat presently).
2) Beat a solid conference team and build the critical element we are currently lacking "team confidence".
3) Raise expectations of players and fans and begin to hunt down an upper tier team.
4) Possibly find a signature win (such as the previously mentioned 86 Nebraska win) within the next 2 or 3 years?

This is a tall order but not impossible. By all means the above formula does not promote looking past the game this weekend which is a critical first step in the repair work ahead.

Hey, Charleston Southern will be the only 7-0 team we play this year... beat them and we have a signature win. :thumbsup:

Right?

Still ranks as my favorite football game experience of all time. I was a casual fan up until that point.

Mine too. I think you almost had to be there but I knew I was watching a team willing itself to win. I think this was a signature win because of what the team had been through that season...going 0-4 to start and then being 2-0 in Big 8 play. I though Kyle Rappold had an outstanding game...an undersized NT he constantly disrupted the Nebraska option by taking the fullback out of it right away. A lot of great performances that day.

I missed that game. I've seen it on a couple of classics channels since, but I had a soccer tournament that day. Of course, I was 11, so I'm not going to beat myself up too bad about it.

As far as a signature win, I think they may be overrated when a team has sucked for as long as we have. Say we improve to 4-8 this season. That's a 3 win improvement. If we do that again next year, which will be very hard, but say we do it by winning all our OOC games and beat the teams we play in the lower half of the conference (road wins at Arizona and Cal, home wins against Oregon St and Utah) but still lose all of our "upper half" games. That's still 7-5. We'd be bowling and finishing in the middle of the conference, but I wouldn't say we would have a signature win. I'd say that's significant progress without a significant win. Now say we finish 4-8 again next year but pull off a stunner against UCLA. What's more desirable, and what'd be a bigger boost to the program?

Mine too. I think you almost had to be there but I knew I was watching a team willing itself to win. I think this was a signature win because of what the team had been through that season...going 0-4 to start and then being 2-0 in Big 8 play. I though Kyle Rappold had an outstanding game...an undersized NT he constantly disrupted the Nebraska option by taking the fullback out of it right away. A lot of great performances that day.

Well put. Brings it back for me. Thanks Rappold.... YUP!

The beauty of the signature win is that we will never see it coming. It will just happen.

I don't think you can really call any game a signature win until long after it has happened, then looking back you identify it as signature win. Like when Stanford beat USC, everyone thought it was a fluke at the time, now people see that as their signature win. Or when CU beat OU, a bunch of people thought that was our signature win, but it turned out to be a fluke

Good point. When you look back at Mac's win over the Nubs in 86, you can see the trajectory of the program was already on the upswing and that victory helped sustain that trajectory and boost the program to greater heights, while if you look at Hawk's win over OU in 07, you can see the trajectory was clearly downward and that that particular victory did nothing except for possibly lessen the nosedive a little bit. We went 3-5 over the rest of the season after that win, so you can tell it didn't have much of a boost to the program that year, and of course we all know what happened since then.

Good point. When you look back at Mac's win over the Nubs in 86, you can see the trajectory of the program was already on the upswing and that victory helped sustain that trajectory and boost the program to greater heights, while if you look at Hawk's win over OU in 07, you can see the trajectory was clearly downward and that that particular victory did nothing except for possibly lessen the nosedive a little bit. We went 3-5 over the rest of the season after that win, so you can tell it didn't have much of a boost to the program that year, and of course we all know what happened since then.
:wow: :cry: :huh: :rolling_eyes: in a nut shell

Revisiting a vintage thread per the subject of "signature win". At minimum, even those most discouraged presently, will really enjoy this recount of a great moment in the history of the CU football program. We were 0-4 to start the year in 1986, and just 2-4 when the number 3 rated NUBS came to Boulder.

The link below is a great read, and has some awesome highlights. Just opening up to the possibility that we can have nice things happen in CU football. CU has been down this road before.

http://www.cuatthegame.com/1986/3-nebraska-20-10-the-mother-of-all-games/

[video=youtube;_1Nkfc85kYc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_1Nkfc85kYc[/video]

Last edited:
I don't know if I buy that.....especially given who is coming to town next week. UCLA is ripe to come in here and lose a game.....They look as dysfunctional as one of Mack Brown's Texas teams.

Seriously, who would have thought back in 2007 that the OU win probably harmed the program more than it helped the program? Not that I trust the competency of the administration of that time, but I seriously doubt Hawkins stays as long as he did without that win in his pocket. Depressing to think about.

Jim Harbaugh got his signature win against USC in LA. I can't recall if he already had Andrew Luck or not, though. Some will say that beating USC was the turning point for Stanford. I would suggest that getting Andrew Luck was the catalyst. I'm too lazy to figure out which came first.

This is like a video game where you are trying to reach Level 4 but you keep getting killed in Level 3 with the ultimate goal of beating Level 10.

I'm beginning to think that we may never get a big "break out" type win with this staff. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. Not every rebuild (or just plain "build") has that sudden big attention grabbing win.

Sure, there might be some win where myopic commentators and fans from other conferences/teams are "surprised," but it's entirely possible that CU doesn't beat a top ten team until CU is already ranked. It is possible that we don't beat a ranked team until the week lots of observers pick us as that week's "likely upset" because everyone recognizes that the team is pretty good before the game even starts.

There might never be a big breakthrough, but just incremental progress.

And I would be ok with that.

Seriously, who would have thought back in 2007 that the OU win probably harmed the program more than it helped the program? Not that I trust the competency of the administration of that time, but I seriously doubt Hawkins stays as long as he did without that win in his pocket. Depressing to think about.

I don't know if a win qualifies as a signature win if the team declines afterwards. I think I would chalk them up to luck.

It's been talked about a lot and rightfully so. CU needs one in the worst way. Scratch off Ucla and Udub, we aren't winning those. Who is it gonna be? Beating USC would be a good one, they are a big name program. I just don't see a road win, maybe Utah? They aren't the team all the time that beat Stanford. What do u guys think?

I think Washington is one of the most winnable games left...aside from the Cal game they have looked horrid.

Back