What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Signing Players Too Soon?

Bufffan68

Club Member
Club Member
Listening to Adam's podcast, I heard something I haven't heard before. They were offering a critique of the staff closing out the recruiting too early. Doing so doesn't leave many schollies open for late players who want to change...whether for personal reasons or coaching changes at the program they were originally recruited.

Any thoughts on this?

with the small 2016 class, they have to be more patient this year. that about sums up this thread.

Listening to Adam's podcast, I heard something I haven't heard before. They were offering a critique of the staff closing out the recruiting too early. Doing so doesn't leave many schollies open for late players who want to change...whether for personal reasons or coaching changes at the program they were originally recruited.

Any thoughts on this?

If this is specific to CU, the question is why did they close so early on players who would be available later in the process (lack of other offers). The whole approach to recruiting seemed a little off in that respect to me.

So what were they supposed to do? Keep all scholarships open for the Tony Brown's and Jay Jay Wilson's of the world who are considering CU, only to get burned and be left with lesser players than the ones they ended up with? I get that it's all a risk but unless you're willing to pull a kid's offer after he's verbally committed, this will always be an issue.

So what were they supposed to do? Keep all scholarships open for the Tony Brown's and Jay Jay Wilson's of the world who are considering CU, only to get burned and be left with lesser players than the ones they ended up with? I get that it's all a risk but unless you're willing to pull a kid's offer after he's verbally committed, this will always be an issue.

Plenty of the guys MM landed would have been obtainable in late Jan. Signing a project with no other offers before Jan doesn't really make sense unless you're convinced the kid is about to explode.

Yeah - it's a problem, settling too early

And this is the heart of the problem.

Most of these kids were not better than any number of kids who would have been available later in the process. There wasn't much risk in asking them to wait.

As it turns out a lot of those early commits would not have gotten comparable offers later on even if they had not been committed. I could be wrong but I don't remember many schools taking runs at the kids we had committed early.

Which MacIntyre did with two players this last class.

Ideally, you'd have a coach who could land a Tony Brown/JJ Wilson once in a while. Or at least effectively stratify reaches, bread and butter and safety recruits as well as the timing of those offers/acceptances. That is, if there was a problem as the OP suggests. Not my cup of tea. I just like pot shots from afar. :nod:

Plenty of the guys MM landed would have been obtainable in late Jan. Signing a project with no other offers before Jan doesn't really make sense unless you're convinced the kid is about to explode.

Like Justin Jan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back