What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Simas..Markques Simas....

Hi All....I have been a lurker here for awhile, so I figured I might as well join in....I enjoy reading all your posts...

Anyways, the first thing that popped into my head when I read this was "How could Hawk let this happen?". You damn well know that Simas knew about this court date well in advance, and if Hawk or someone within the Atheltic Department(mainly football operations) didn't have this freakin day circled on their calendar to ensure that Simas shows up(who we all know has had problems in the past), then I put major blame on that staff. You would think that with as many problems Simas has had, the staff would have taken a special interest to ensure that Simas gets back on the right track. Even just a simple phone call reminder or someone driving him to the courthouse.

Hi All....I have been a lurker here for awhile, so I figured I might as well join in....I enjoy reading all your posts...

Anyways, the first thing that popped into my head when I read this was "How could Hawk let this happen?". You damn well know that Simas knew about this court date well in advance, and if Hawk or someone within the Atheltic Department(mainly football operations) didn't have this freakin day circled on their calendar to ensure that Simas shows up(who we all know has had problems in the past), then I put major blame on that staff. You would think that with as many problems Simas has had, the staff would have taken a special interest to ensure that Simas gets back on the right track. Even just a simple phone call reminder or someone driving him to the courthouse.

Welcome

Great first post, spot on.

I agree that ultimately the responsibility lies on the player but at the same time the success of the program lies on the coaches and they are supposed to figure out how to take care of the "little things" that get in the way of success on or off the field. Nine months from now nobody is going to remember if the coaches reminded the guy to get to court, people will be looking at the past season and hold the coaches responsible for not winning more games regardless of why the games weren't won.

Fair or not, anything that happens with the football program right now will be directly attributed to Dan Hawkins. The guy is an abject failure. The longer we keep him, the more and more obvious this simple fact will become.

It might be nice to have at least some facts before concluding that Simas and/or Hawk are morons. True, it doesn't sound good, but the rush to judgment, especially insofar as Hawk is concerned, is unwarranted (so to speak).

The reflexive Hawk Hate in this forum gets tedious at times.
Better watch it, pal. Next thing you know, some idot will call you "Baghdad Bob." :lol:

With all due respect, I didn't need any more facts to know that Hawk is a moron. Unfortunately, he keeps providing additional evidence.

Hawk has failed here at CU for a myriad of reasons, but I don't fault him for this latest Simas f-up.

It's too easy to say "Hawk should have had this day circled" or "he should have made sure he made it to court", but at some point a 20 year old needs to take reponsibility for himself.

If Simas doesn't have enough self-discipline to show up to court, then how can the team expect him to go to class, show up for practice, study a playbook, or know his assignments?

Hawk has already shown this kid more slack than he has other players just by keeping him around after the DUI. There's 80 other kids on the team - Hawk can't spend all his time and energy babysitting one kid who can't stop f**king up.

I would be 100% ok with Hawk giving Simas the boot which is a shame because he could be a hell of a player if he ever decided to make an effort.

Rumor

For the sake of debate: Yep, Markques is fully capable of handling his legal situations on his own. But, it doesn't mean you don't need support from family, friends, coaches. I hope he has the type of individuals in his life that can fix whatever is causing him to make these mistakes.

So, with the semester over who of the coaches can be in contact with the players? Pittman? For some reason I don't think the coaches have access to the players right now. that said it seems like someone would be able to put Simas' court date in their blackberry/iphone and call the kid the night before and/or day of.

So, with the semester over who of the coaches can be in contact with the players? Pittman? For some reason I don't think the coaches have access to the players right now. that said it seems like someone would be able to put Simas' court date in their blackberry/iphone and call the kid the night before and/or day of.

What about the "accountability groups"? Are they still around?

I like to blame Hawkins for everything bad with the football team as much as anyone, but I can't blame him for Simas not showing up for court. It's not like we are talking about some 16 year old that needs mom or dad to give him a ride, and be present for the hearing.

Simas is an adult, and is facing adult punishment for his stupidity. The responsibility is 100% his to take care of this. Dan Hawkins is not responsible for holding his hand and making sure he shows up for a hearing.

I will continue to blame Hawkins for everything that goes wrong with CU football on the field and with recruiting. I don't blame the coaches if players can't go to class and make grades and I don't blame the coaches for the stupid off field decisions that many players have made.

People are actually still trying to defend Simas? He should have been kicked off the team after the DUI arrest.

People are actually still trying to defend Simas? He should have been kicked off the team after the DUI arrest.

I agree. I also have a feeling many of the players agree. My kids have been to more than one party at which Simas was also present. I'll leave it at that.

Is Hawkins responsible for Simas appearing in court? Not directly. But Hawkins (and to some extent Bohn) have set a lot of this up. First, the crap that someone under you does flows onto you - it happens in all walks of life. Second, when you are in the public eye everything is magnified. Mac and Barnett got crucified by the press because of their players (most of the time unjustly) and the powers that be are always demanding they do something about it. Simas actions reflect on the CU program and since Hawkins is in charge of the program the problems reflect on his management of the program. Hawkins has gone to great lengths stating that his program is doing the right things in the right way - implying and inferring that those who came before did not. So when things happen that invalidate his assertions then he has to be held responsible and accountable (kind of like living in a glass house).

In reality, things like the Simas issue and other player problems combined with the abysmal APR (yep another really bad report is coming) show that he is really not doing things the right way to any further extent than his predecessors. The hold reason for keeping him at CU was because he is doing things the right way - but we see that is really a bill of goods being sold to us through the AD and Neill Woelk. So if he is not doing good either on or off the field why is Hawkins still here???

The next place this flows up to is Mike Bohn.

Sorry the info I heard was right. Simas appears to be a terminal, serial screw up. I wouldn't blame Hawk if he showed him the door.

Miserable on the field, miserable off the filed. Benson denutted Bohn in November and may have killed the program for the foreseeable future.

There is no reason at all for him to miss the court date, he knew and just didnt give a **** I guess. Clearly the guy has some issues. I wouldve kept tabs on him if it was me or my staff, thats just me and Im not the coach. However, Simas is an adult and none of this blame should go to Hawk. The dude is literally blowing his chance, I doubt we see him play anymore and we waited awhile just for that. I was hoping his attorney told him he didnt have to appear, Ive had that happen with me in my custody deal, doesnt look like thats the case. Really pisses me off at Markques, he's lucky im not his dad, I wouldve dragged his ass to that courtroom.

The coaches are allowed to have at least some contact with players. I was with a player the other night when he got a text message from Hawk.

There is no reason at all for him to miss the court date, he knew and just didnt give a **** I guess. Clearly the guy has some issues. I wouldve kept tabs on him if it was me or my staff, thats just me and Im not the coach. However, Simas is an adult and none of this blame should go to Hawk. The dude is literally blowing his chance, I doubt we see him play anymore and we waited awhile just for that. I was hoping his attorney told him he didnt have to appear, Ive had that happen with me in my custody deal, doesnt look like thats the case. Really pisses me off at Markques, he's lucky im not his dad, I wouldve dragged his ass to that courtroom.

If your best receiver had a court date, and the chances for success of your upcoming season rested, in large part, on this particular receivers ability to play, don't you think it would be wise to keep an eye on the lad?

I'm sure Hawk was too busy working on the little things and couldn't be bothered.

BnG, I agree with you that for right or wrong the guy in charge catches blame, but I feel like unless there is a complete lack of control or blatant cheating/covering up, then a coach should be judged on his team's performance ON THE FIELD.

These are all 18 year old kids and part of my experience in college was learning to live with the consequences of my choices. Playing Division 1 football on a scholarship is a priveledge.

Hawk gets blame for kids messing up in school, but do we also blame their professor? Hawk gets blame when a kid gets in a fight, but do we also blame his parents? Hawk get blame when a kid misses his court appearance, but do we also blame his attorney? No.

These problems are made worse by the fact that this team loses a lot more than it wins, but if we were winning 10 a season would we blame Hawk for Simas missing court? No, we'd blame the kid for blowing a great opportunity to play D1 ball.

My point is even if you do everything you can to operate your program the "right way" you're still going to have problems once in a while, but if your team is winning, it doesn't cause the same concern. So Hawk's failure is his inability to win, not his inability to get Simas to court.

The coaches are allowed to have at least some contact with players. I was with a player the other night when he got a text message from Hawk.

A text from Hawk? What was it, a game cheat or a quote from Lord of the Flies?

If your best receiver had a court date, and the chances for success of your upcoming season rested, in large part, on this particular receivers ability to play, don't you think it would be wise to keep an eye on the lad?

I'm sure Hawk was too busy working on the little things and couldn't be bothered.
I would have kept tabs on him as I said above but Im not the coach. Simas should have accountabilty for this even if I think the staff should have watched him. Simas has a chance to play on Sundays and im not saying he could be a star. He has enough ability but he is pissing it away. I dont agree with the staff not watching him more, if they werent, Simas is an adult though. This isnt a ****ing daycare.

A text from Hawk? What was it, a game cheat or a quote from Lord of the Flies?

It was a big mixture of text smilies. :D ;) :p :* :& I don't remember which ones, the order, or the intended message.

BnG, I agree with you that for right or wrong the guy in charge catches blame, but I feel like unless there is a complete lack of control or blatant cheating/covering up, then a coach should be judged on his team's performance ON THE FIELD.

These are all 18 year old kids and part of my experience in college was learning to live with the consequences of my choices. Playing Division 1 football on a scholarship is a priveledge.

Hawk gets blame for kids messing up in school, but do we also blame their professor? Hawk gets blame when a kid gets in a fight, but do we also blame his parents? Hawk get blame when a kid misses his court appearance, but do we also blame his attorney? No.

These problems are made worse by the fact that this team loses a lot more than it wins, but if we were winning 10 a season would we blame Hawk for Simas missing court? No, we'd blame the kid for blowing a great opportunity to play D1 ball.

My point is even if you do everything you can to operate your program the "right way" you're still going to have problems once in a while, but if your team is winning, it doesn't cause the same concern. So Hawk's failure is his inability to win, not his inability to get Simas to court.

Mac was winning and got a front page story in SI on the "thugs" he had in the program. Hawkins does have a greater responsibility for his players - especially since he sets up an excuse for lack of wins as having to have the right type of person for his program. No doubt when you have 100+ people in your program you are going to have some issues - it is the law of averages. But Simas has had issues in the past. He has been at CU 3 complete years and has lost a season and 2 games because of "issues" - now we have more issues with him. As Boulder Buff pointed out - he should of been kicked off the Team it was not his first violation. Since Hawkins decided not to take stronger action then he is somewhat responsible for the further problems that arise out of this problem.

Yes...BUT...

If I'm out on cruise and one of my Sailors does something really, really stupid (and gets caught), guess who takes the heat? Therefore, I take some measures to make sure that my Sailors don't get caught, which does involve some minor intrusion and hand-holding (though I'm better than most at letting the Sailors just be Sailors).

Oh, you meant out on that kind of "cruise". At first I was thinking you were talking about taking the ship out to sea....

NTTIAWWT, of course...

Moving this to the pub so it stays out of our news feeds until it is confirmed.

Understand, if I had it to do over, I'd have put it in Barzil. Sorry.

Yeah, Barzil is probably the best place for the rumor type posts, until they're confirmed. Didn't mean to come off like a dick earlier, btw (yeah, yeah I know... :lol:). I was a little more put off by the fact that people were already ranting about "bad news" before anybody confirmed the rumor than the fact that you asked about it in the first place. But reading it again, it really didn't end up sounding that way...

Yeah, Barzil is probably the best place for the rumor type posts, until they're confirmed. Didn't mean to come off like a dick earlier, btw (yeah, yeah I know... :lol:). I was a little more put off by the fact that people were already ranting about "bad news" before anybody confirmed the rumor than the fact that you asked about it in the first place. But reading it again, it really didn't end up sounding that way...
No worries, I'm just bummed the rumor turned out to be true....

Simas is responsible and after he's previous problems,you'd think he'd wise up . Now, the staff should be on his ass making sure he's doing the right things that we hear so much about but, in the end it's on simas.

Btw, it's great we have clemons but this team can't afford a guy like simas missing another season or time on the field.

Mac was winning and got a front page story in SI on the "thugs" he had in the program. Hawkins does have a greater responsibility for his players - especially since he sets up an excuse for lack of wins as having to have the right type of person for his program. No doubt when you have 100+ people in your program you are going to have some issues - it is the law of averages. But Simas has had issues in the past. He has been at CU 3 complete years and has lost a season and 2 games because of "issues" - now we have more issues with him. As Boulder Buff pointed out - he should of been kicked off the Team it was not his first violation. Since Hawkins decided not to take stronger action then he is somewhat responsible for the further problems that arise out of this problem.

The Mac analogy illustrates my point exactly - he is remembered as the greatest coach in CU history despite the "thug" image, while Hawk is regarded as a complete failure. The fact that Mac won is what cemented his legacy, not the problems his players had - so if Hawk was winning, we probably wouldn't have a 6 page thread about one player missing a court date. But I agree his proclomations of 10 wins and doing things the right way exacerbate the issue.

Back