What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Simas..Markques Simas....

Yes, in part.

I hate that Simas F*cked this up but I'm going to make lemonade out of this.

Hawk lobbied with the President of the university to keep his job this year despite poor on field performance because: grades were better (not true anymore), recruiting was better (not true anymore) and the athletes were good citizens of the university and community (now also not true anymore - thanks Simas).

All of the reasons Hawk used to justify keeping his job are now gone and the one reason that could help him continue as the HC (winning a lot of games) doesn't look like it's going to happen either.

Thanks Marcus for taking away the last ridiculous reason to justify keeping Hawk. We can all now look forward to him being fired at the end of the season (or sooner).

The lemonade is tart but has a refreshing finish.
Hardcore anti-Hawk post. No ambiguity from SJ on this point. Pass the lemonade.

I question I have been trying to figure out; was the bus tour before, during, or after the court date? Not that I am an excuse maker but I was just a little curious as to whether or not the bus tour caused the AD to have a brain fart and miss the court date.

If I remember from past articles about Simas he comes from a middle/upper middle class family. Thye should have had a lawyer helping their son out with this whole thing. I know the AD has a part in helping their student athelete out, but if this were my child I would have made dam sure he had good representation to make this go away as fast as possible.

Before vilifying Simas and/or Hawk, and before conjuring excuses for Simas and/or Hawk, could we just wait until the facts come out?

No one on this thread has the faintest idea of the circumstances surrounding Simas' failure to show up for his court date. The facts really do matter in this kind of thing. Yeah, the likelihood is that this is a garden variety knucklehead screw-up. But, it might not be.

Before vilifying Simas and/or Hawk, and before conjuring excuses for Simas and/or Hawk, could we just wait until the facts come out?

No one on this thread has the faintest idea of the circumstances surrounding Simas' failure to show up for his court date. The facts really do matter in this kind of thing. Yeah, the likelihood is that this is a garden variety knucklehead screw-up. But, it might not be.
:nod:

However, this thread sucks.

Sorry, Simas lost the benefit of the doubt with me long ago. Guilty until proven innocent IMO.

These are the facts we do know:

Simas was due in court.
Simas missed that court date.
Hawkins is an incompetent moron.

Everything else is academic.

Simas was due in court.

Facts we don't know:

Does Markques prefer his martinis shaken or stirred?

I question I have been trying to figure out; was the bus tour before, during, or after the court date? Not that I am an excuse maker but I was just a little curious as to whether or not the bus tour caused the AD to have a brain fart and miss the court date.

If I remember from past articles about Simas he comes from a middle/upper middle class family. Thye should have had a lawyer helping their son out with this whole thing. I know the AD has a part in helping their student athelete out, but if this were my child I would have made dam sure he had good representation to make this go away as fast as possible.

Court date was May 12th, warrant was issued on the 17th.

Simas was due in court.

Sackie -- I think you've become unglued. Nine wins would do a lot to get you back into a stable orbit.

It's very frustrating that a kid as talented as Simas appears to be on a path that could make him a former Buff. But, for crying out loud, let's get some facts before reaching conclusions. And, the reflexive Hawk Hate is really getting tedious. I know it amuses you and the torches and pitchforks crowd, but it's really tedious.

Nine wins and you'll be spewing Hawk Love. No doubt in my mind.....

Sackie -- I think you've become unglued. Nine wins would do a lot to get you back into a stable orbit.

It's very frustrating that a kid as talented as Simas appears to be on a path that could make him a former Buff. But, for crying out loud, let's get some facts before reaching conclusions. And, the reflexive Hawk Hate is really getting tedious. I know it amuses you and the torches and pitchforks crowd, but it's really tedious.

Nine wins and you'll be spewing Hawk Love. No doubt in my mind.....

it doesnt amuse any of us... we are all sick of it... if he were to shut the **** up once in a while the lashing out wouldn't be as severe... he treats us like we don't know anything about football... and freaks out every time someone questions his methods...plus the fact that he his chip diller mindset from animal house.... REMAIN CALM, ALL IS WELL!!! is incredibly grating

it doesnt amuse any of us... we are all sick of it... if he were to shut the **** up once in a while the lashing out wouldn't be as severe... he treats us like we don't know anything about football... and freaks out every time someone questions his methods...plus the fact that he his chip diller mindset from animal house.... REMAIN CALM, ALL IS WELL!!! is incredibly grating

No. the incesent attacks on Hawkins for the most inane reasons is what is incredibly grating.

This makes me laugh...What fact are you waiting for in this case? He missed his court date. A bench warrant was issued 5 DAYS Later...in 5 days if he had over slept or forgot he could of gotten in touch with the court and gotten his appearance date rescheduled ---the court would not of been happy but things would of been smoothed over for him. Two more weeks have passed by and not a peep out of the athletic department regarding this situation.

You will get no further facts, Simas is gone. This will hurt the APR and of course CU gets another black eye.

The only facts are - he missed his court date and there is a bench out for his arrest. You will get nothing else until (if ever) he is arrested.

Short of being in jail in another state or being in the hospital there are no acceptable circumstances for missing a court date. None. He had 5 days after his failure to appear before the warrant was issued to provide an excuse for not showing up and didn't even get that done.

This makes me laugh...What fact are you waiting for in this case? He missed his court date. A bench warrant was issued 5 DAYS Later...in 5 days if he had over slept or forgot he could of gotten in touch with the court and gotten his appearance date rescheduled ---the court would not of been happy but things would of been smoothed over for him. Two more weeks have passed by and not a peep out of the athletic department regarding this situation.

You will get no further facts, Simas is gone. This will hurt the APR and of course CU gets another black eye.

The only facts are - he missed his court date and there is a bench out for his arrest. You will get nothing else until (if ever) he is arrested.

Which is why I felt that Hawk should have held his hand on this one (assuming he didn't based on the results). While Simas is an adult and responsible for himself, Hawk is responsible for the football program. Those things that hurt it fall under his purview. Granted, he may have had his reasons.

I was with a friend Friday who has a kid on the team. They mentioned that Hawkins sent their son (and presumably other players) a text, reminding him about a deadline for some CU paperwork due June 1 --- it was just a passing comment, but stuck out to me.

Not sure how it contributes to this conversation, other than to say, it amazes me that people here think that Hawkins would be able to manage the schedules, appointments, deadlines for 85 or more players, etc. and now he's supposed to hold Simas' hand and be sure he is in court, too? How do we know he didn't send Simas a reminder which was ignored? Or that an assistant coach said he'd handle this? Or that they told Simas "Listen buddy, we're rooting for you, but you need to take care of this," and Simas said "I got it, no problem." Of course there is some implication here that Hawkins knew Simas was ... troubled? ... likely to mess up? ... and should have been in his face more than other players, but we don't know how much Hawkins tried to do for Simas.

Yeah, I understand that many people are disappointed (understatement) with Hawkins as a coach. I just don't see how a player screwing up this way is automatically the fault of the Head Coach. It's not possible to predict the behavior of every young man you meet when recruiting, and harder still to predict how they will react when they screw up. But from Hawkins' attention to detail on the paperwork matter, at least I can say in some instances, he is communicating with the players to handle their business.

has there been any kind of "official" statement about this since the 5 day bench warrant was released....

if it goes unaddressed the public ambivalence seems to run counter to the "doing things the right way"/caring about the kids approach.....from a perception standpoint at least.

has there been any kind of "official" statement about this since the 5 day bench warrant was released....

if it goes unaddressed the public ambivalence seems to run counter to the "doing things the right way"/caring about the kids approach.....from a perception standpoint at least.

I believe the "official" statement is that they are continuing to work on the little things.

Umm, don't you think there are some privacy issues here? I don't think they can just come out and make statements about a kid.

Umm, don't you think there are some privacy issues here? I don't think they can just come out and make statements about a kid.

not necessarily. if the crux of your perception management is "we do things the right way".....Hawk or Bohn or whoever says: "This is a situation we take very seriously. We promote responsibility and demand our players to follow that code of conduct. This in not what we expect from our guys".

or: let's say there's more to it, that Simas has some problem that complicated his appearance: "There's more going on here, and player has some things to sort out before I'm ready to comment. But, we're behind our guy until he gives us reason not to be".

instead: nothing. gives the appearance of ambivalence when the narrative fans were given to allay concerns about not winning was that "we do things the right way". As it stands today, looks like they don't care one way or another in a matter very much in the wheelhouse of "doing things the right way".

There is not privacy issue in this case. Simas missing his court date and having a bench warrant issued is a matter of public record. What is the AD's and the Head Football Coach's stance on the issue? As Mick points out the - the lack of a response allows the public to fill in the blanks, bad PR move.

According to FaceBook Simas has been drinking Mickey's 40s with some friends the past several days.

Another state, another athlete who couldn't follow the rules long enough to graduate.

QB Peter Lalich Done at Oregon State

Thursday, Oregon State head coach Mike Riley announced that QB Peter Lalich was no longer on scholarship and was free to pursue other endeavors.

Lalich was to be suspended for three games, stemming from a Mother's Day weekend boating DUI.

... Lalich originally attended the University of Virginia, but was kicked off the team in 2009 due to team violations. He had been arrested twice -- both alcohol-related offenses -- while a member of the Cavaliers.

Ok, umm why hasnt he been picked up yet? Has his lawyer communicated with the courts or is it just not huge priority up there? I dont think the guy would be very hard to find.

Ok, umm why hasnt he been picked up yet? Has his lawyer communicated with the courts or is it just not huge priority up there? I dont think the guy would be very hard to find.

Football players report this week for summer conditioning. He may well have been out of state up until now. That's a total guess, but possible.

He's probably at home in California. Regardless, I'd think bench warrants for DUIs are probably low on the totem pole, the cops generally get to it when they have an opportunity and probably don't waste a whole lot of money on a full fledged man hunt. I'm sure they've been to his Boulder residence and hangouts and done their homework, but I doubt they'd assign anyone full time for what could be a few days to track down a failure to appear. Maybe some of the police around here can weigh in with their experience.

Ive never lived up there but in New Mexico, they would have went and looked for him already, except for the bigger cities. The DWI problem here is pretty damn bad though. I had a friend that wrote down his court date wrong on his calender like a dumbass and they went and got him at work. I didnt even think about what time of year this is like a dumbass myself. You guys are probably right, might be in Cali.

Who really thinks he will come back? Obviously if he comes back he has to face the music and probably a suspension from the team. I guess I think he is done with CU but who knows.

Back