What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Simas suspended....

Why a starting Division I scholarship athlete ever does this when they know the microscope they are under and its consequences is beyond me. Buddy system, dammit!

DUI. that will cost you a year of your life. This really hurts Simas and C.U. football. Nuff said.

In what way does a low BAC DUI cost you a year of your life...? He will get some community service hours, have to take some nonsense alcohol classes, and call it a day.

In what way does a low BAC DUI cost you a year of your life...? He will get some community service hours, have to take some nonsense alcohol classes, and call it a day. then there is the U of Colorado system and what the coach does as punishment.

there is your answer and a fify.

The thought was Simas had a DUI not a low BAC and how low is low? Most of us have no paid for info,enlighten us.

No he definitely had a DUI... not a lower class one or anything. His BAC was .135 per http://www.buffzone.com/ci_14389806 . So perhaps it would be more appropriately referred to as moderate, rather than low. Regardless, it isn't high enough, IMO, for the judge to want to subject him to any super steep penalties - that was my point.

while, it won't take his life away, he will have to attend classes every week for over a year that cost around 25-30 each time. that doesn't include the breathalyzers either.

Ok buffs04 if you think .135 is moderate and the judge will give Mr Simas "A little community service and a few classes" you have not talked to somebody that has gotten a DUI lately. As Hawkens says we will see.

Ok buffs04 if you think .135 is moderate and the judge will give Mr Simas "A little community service and a few classes" you have not talked to somebody that has gotten a DUI lately. As Hawkens says we will see.
:nod:

Especially when it's a football player at CU.

I don't care about Simas' football career. I don't care about jack ****. All I care about is that he realizes that he has a problem and takes care of it. He needs to realize that he is an alcaholic.

A .135 is moderate. What do you think it is, hammered? Sh**faced? Blackout? I am not defending his actions and I am not going to engage in a political debate about the evils of drinking and driving but a 0.135 is not particularly high on the BAC scale for DUI arrests. My understanding is that it is below average.

A few years ago, I was arrested for a DUI in Boulder with a sub 0.1 BAC (borderline sober, but that's an argument for a different time). I did 32 hours of community service for the City of Boulder and an additional 24 hours for CU. I did two four-hour Saturday morning classes. I also did 18 months of probation. Total cost was about $600 up front and an additional $900 in supervision fees. It was very inconvenient but it certainly isn't something that is going to ruin someone's life.

Unless Simas has a legal history full of alcohol offenses, I don't think he is going to get in much legal trouble for this unless the judge has it out for football players. I am not familiar with his legal history -- does he have other alcohol convictions here?

I personally do not agree with labeling him as an alcoholic based only on this limited amount of information. I am confident that a significant number of posters on this board have driven with a BAC of 0.135; this issue tends to attract more hypocrisy than almost any other in America. Whatever.

Last edited:
Pretty much agree with DBT.

If the six-game suspension game that was given to Ethan Adkins is any indication, it would Simas will have plenty of time to take care of his problem because he is likely not going to be playing for a significant portion of the season and I doubt he practices with the team during Spring ball.

Buffs04, The key words are a "Few yers ago" things have changed. I hope Mr. Simas gets his S#$%^ together. DBT is spot on as are others... Go Buffs.

There's a billboard near a bar zone by SMU that reads "A DUI costs you $15,235. Sobering, isn't it?"

Does it cost that much in Colo?

Really? Evidence of a .135 BAC one time as a student at the University of Colorado makes you an alcoholic? We need to have an intervention with about 25,000 CU students then.

I don't care about Simas' football career. I don't care about jack ****. All I care about is that he realizes that he has a problem and takes care of it. He needs to realize that he is an alcaholic.

While I agree that Simas needs to get his $#*! together, I think you're being reckless by throwing words like alcoholic around. Not everyone who gets a DUI is an alcoholic. Good luck to Markques. I sincerely hope that he learns his lesson and makes it back onto the football field.

Thats kinda where I am at as well. He clearly has some growing up to do, no doubt. However, unless there have been other incidents besides this that are alcohol related, think it is a little premature to be saying he's an alcoholic. Im not in a position to know since im not close to the program. Was alcohol the main factor in the other problems he's had, academics and such?

Really? Evidence of a .135 BAC one time as a student at the University of Colorado makes you an alcoholic? We need to have an intervention with about 25,000 CU students then.

Yeah seriously. Come on DBT I don't think it's cool to label someone an alcoholic based on this, especially when you don't actually know the kid.

I don't really know how to defend myself here. I'm not just throwing stuff out there. It doesn't matter, I guess. My concern is not the Buffs. My concern is the young man.

I'm willing to bet that DBT is basing that statement on much more than this one incident....

I don't really know how to defend myself here. I'm not just throwing stuff out there. It doesn't matter, I guess. My concern is not the Buffs. My concern is the young man.

You don't have to defend yourself, least of all to interweb scumnation. Besides, you already had it covered.... :smile2:

It is officially the offseason. I could an argument ensuing over semantics for the next four pages.

You dont exactly give players the same leeway as their coach.
Thanks. Just wanted to know where you were coming from. There are more important things in life than who the head coach of the CU Buffs is. I've got three kids and I worry a hell of a lot more about them than Dan Hawkins. In the same sense, I worry a hell of a lot more about the kids on the team than I do the coach. I care a hell of a lot more about Markques than I do about Dan Hawkins.

Back