What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Simas suspended....

Sometimes it isnt how much you drink or even how often, it's what happens when you drink. I dont pretend to know if it has been one incident or several with Simas. I just hope that he does everything he can to make the best of the situation and learns from it.

Last edited:
After thinking about it, I was probably too harsh. College kids like to drink. Probably not healthy, but it certainly does not mean they will be alcaholics later on in life. But binge drinking is definitely an issue in Boulder and in most college towns. There are a ton of students, and some on the football team, that binge drink, I'm afraid. Getting a DUI is bad, but it doesn't mean one is a bad person. It's kind of tough to make good decisions when you are drunk. College kids are at a wierd time in life. Kind of stuck between being a kid and being a grown up. Mix in testosterone and **** and you have a lot of bad decisions being made by young (to me anyway) people. What really needs to happen is that friends learn to take care of each other.

After thinking about it, I was probably too harsh. College kids like to drink. Probably not healthy, but it certainly does not mean they will be alcaholics later on in life. But binge drinking is definitely an issue in Boulder and in most college towns. There are a ton of students, and some on the football team, that binge drink, I'm afraid. Getting a DUI is bad, but it doesn't mean one is a bad person. It's kind of tough to make good decisions when you are drunk. College kids are at a wierd time in life. Kind of stuck between being a kid and being a grown up. Mix in testosterone and **** and you have a lot of bad decisions being made by young (to me anyway) people. What really needs to happen is that friends learn to take care of each other.

I would say a majority of CU students binge drink regularly.. What worries me isn't the drinking, its the decisions hes making when drinking. DUI is BAD.

Doesn't hawk have a 2 strike rule? Wouldn't this be the end of Simas if he actually applied it?

I would say a majority of CU students binge drink regularly.. What worries me isn't the drinking, its the decisions hes making when drinking. DUI is BAD.

Doesn't hawk have a 2 strike rule? Wouldn't this be the end of Simas if he actually applied it?
I thought it was thrid strike and you're out. But I don't think being academically suspended would constitute a strike, would it?

I thought it was thrid strike and you're out. But I don't think being academically suspended would constitute a strike, would it?

he was academically suspended for oen year, and then whatever cost him 2 games last year, and now this. Talk about thin ice.

All I know is he better check himself. He don't wake up, his career is gonna go down the drain. If he plans on giving the NFL a shot, I think he has given them enough dirt on himself. I hope he takes his punishment, sticks with it, and becomes better because of all this. He is on some paper thin ice and I hope he realizes that. Most of all, hope Hawk doesnt show him the door because it's possible and I really couldnt blame him.

Gonna be interesting. Cannot say I think he deserves the outright boot (although I do not think it would be unfair), but Woelk's proposed "punishment" sure seemed really light. Extra conditioning and he might still practice for some of the spring?

Also gotta disagree with Ringo's assertion that Simas getting the boot would not be a huge loss.

I can see Hawk dismissing him. After two other circumstances that restricted his playing time, I wouldn't relally argue against it. If Hawk give shim a last chance, I wouldn't argue that either.

That is pretty much where I am at lefty. I can fault Hawkins for a lot of things, but the only one to blame in this situation is Simas.

Hmm... no clue what will happen. The guy really came on at the end of the last year. However I think Clemons will be a very good player and if Simmons is able to get it down after the off-season then it might not hurt much if Simas is off. It usually takes juco guys a season to come around, so I still have hope for Simmons.

I don't think he should be booted, but I don't know the details of the first infraction... It really depends on that. If its arguing with the coach, no boot. If its a failed drug test, eep. For the kids sake I hope he stays.

And no way he is not a huge loss. He was one of the hottest receivers in the country the last month!

I don't think he should be booted, but I don't know the details of the first infraction... It really depends on that. If its arguing with the coach, no boot. If its a failed drug test, eep. For the kids sake I hope he stays.

And no way he is not a huge loss. He was one of the hottest receivers in the country the last month!

Not saying it wouldn't be a big loss, especially since he was solid at the end of the year. Just saying it seems CU has started to develop depth at WR and hopefully some other guys could step up.

It would be a HUGE loss. He's the only receiver on the team in years who the opposition has feared. None of his potential replacements (Clemons, Simmons, Darden) have done squat.

I can't really say he deserves the boot either. Same time, I couldnt blame Hawk if thats what he decided. Im not close enough to the situation to know whether Simas just dont give a damn and is reckless or if he has some issues. If he does have some issues, I dont think it would be right to just cut him loose. Maybe thats just the dad in me talking. I think the two things I said above regarding Simas will probably play a big role in the punishment or outright boot out of the program jmho.

How long have we been hyping about this kid only to see him suspended for something? Let's cut our losses and show Simas the door. Anyone remember that article where it seemed like Simas wasn't serious about school?

I agree you can't blame the coaching staff for all the things college kids do, unless our attrition rate is above average, which I don't know. If it is the coaches/staff should be held accountable for not getting the message across.

Take this FWIW, but a poster on AZ's site reported that Simas told him directly that he wouldn't miss any game time next year from this incident.

Let's hope it's accurate scoop.

Take this FWIW, but a poster on AZ's site reported that Simas told him directly that he wouldn't miss any game time next year from this incident.

Let's hope it's accurate scoop.

I find that really hard to believe. What did Adkins miss last year for the same offense? I'd think that would be the low end of the punishment Simas will get, with a higher punishment likely in order since he has had a few issues already.

Ringo had a blog post about it today:

http://buffzone.pmpblogs.com/

I asked athletic director Mike Bohn whether Simas would be reinstated to the team in the future and he said, “That’s up to him.” Bohn said coach Dan Hawkins will ultimately make that decision, but apparently, there is some scenario in which Simas will be allowed to return.

I would have asked Hawkins about this, but he turned down my interview request last week, saying he was too busy and won’t be available until the first day of spring ball on Saturday.

Simas won’t participate in spring ball, but he clearly still has a chance to earn his way back into good standing after the third strike of his career. He was suspended for the first two games last season for an undisclosed violation of team rules and he missed the entire 2008 campaign being academically ineligible.

Simas better get his grades in order and take care of his other obligations. He's got 1 last chance.

I'll ask this one more time and one of you mother ****ers better ****ing answer!! :smile2: Why are you saying he has three strikes? Does Hawkins consider grade issues a strike? I would not think that grade issues would count as "a strike."

You have a responsibility as a student-athlete to stay eligible, do you not? You cannot play if you are academically ineligible, which is why you are partly at the school in the first place. Why would it not be considered a strike? I also think it would be pretty strange to see Hawkins pushing off-field accomplishments and emphasizing how his guys "do it the right way" only to view Simas missing an entire season due to grades as a minor indiscretion.

I would also add that Simas freely admitted he had issues with grades because he was lazy. That is entirely different than just struggling with school.

I remember from a couple of incidents over the last few years (for instance Geer and I think Maiva) where the suspension was handled during the Spring Semester. Basically, it was treated the same as a suspension during the Fall Semester, even though we don't play games during that period. So Coach Hawkins can credibly say that he suspended a player for a full semester, and he still wouldn't miss a game.

If I remember correctly there was a cut-off date for when it could be applied to Spring rather than Fall.

Back