What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sir Larry Scott.. (P12 considering buying out Larry Scott)

The Big Ten has taken a beating nationally for postponing/canceling their 2020 season and or how it was done. There has been reporting about a revolt among the ADs/coaches and them working on plans to actually play this year.

The PAC 12 is either mentioned in passing or ignored. No one cares.

The PAC 12 is irrelevant on the national level and has fallen to the level of Conference USA/MAC in terms of importance under the incompetent leadership of Scott.

You’d think that would get the wheels turning but I guess the decision makers in the conference don’t care about the reputation of the conference either.

anyone got the cliffnotes?

As in reading between the lines? My take would be that the presidents recognize the need for a change. And an independent consultant can evaluate the pac12 corporate structure top to bottom, while providing in-depth strategic media knowledge for the upcoming negotiations and possible conference realignment opportunities and threats. A third party provides the political cover to smoothly navigate the termination of Scott and his entire failing administration, while recruiting and appointing a successor.

pure speculation.

the biiggest bombshell in that article is that the presidents are discussing the entire structure of the p12. what is meant by that is unknown because the email references a call that is not documented.

the biggest and best news for CU is that it looks like distef and an alum who runs lions gate are smack dab in the center of the discussions.

scott and the rights issues are inextricably entwined. the alum group of advisors is impressive.

if i had to speculate, they are going to bring in the consultant, early terminate scott, and have someone else lead the new tv negotiations. additionally, i speculate they will sell all or a part of the p12 network and that goldman will be hired to do that.

i do not have any insight or speculation into what they mean by the entire structure of the conference.

the biiggest bombshell in that article is that the presidents are discussing the entire structure of the p12. what is meant by that is unknown because the email references a call that is not documented.

the biggest and best news for CU is that it looks like distef and an alum who runs lions gate are smack dab in the center of the discussions.

scott and the rights issues are inextricably entwined. the alum group of advisors is impressive.

if i had to speculate, they are going to bring in the consultant, early terminate scott, and have someone else lead the new tv negotiations. additionally, i speculate they will sell all or a part of the p12 network and that goldman will be hired to do that.

i do not have any insight or speculation into what they mean by the entire structure of the conference.
DiStefano just happened to be the rotating head of the CEO group at the time. He no longer holds that position, the dude from Oregon does.

Your reading/interpretation matches mine almost exactly.

"changing the conference structure" is an interesting phrase, it could mean so many things

- from big (membership/expansion, $ distribution scheme, tv network ownership)
- to moderate (scheduling, championship locations, game officiating)
- to so small even moderately engaged fans wouldn't really notice (headquarters location, legal minutia, governance structures).

Your reading/interpretation matches mine almost exactly.

"changing the conference structure" is an interesting phrase, it could mean so many things

- from big (membership/expansion, $ distribution scheme, tv network ownership)
- to moderate (scheduling, championship locations, game officiating)
- to so small even moderately engaged fans wouldn't really notice (headquarters location, legal minutia, governance structures).
To me it means two things. Switching the headquarters to somewhere not costing 8 million a year and scrapping the pac 12 networks for independent 3rd party media contracts that will keep usc happy. And putting Scott on notice that he isn’t part of their long term plans.

I'd hate to see him go, but Rick George could bring more value to CU if he's the commissioner of the Pac-12.

Last edited:
DiStefano just happened to be the rotating head of the CEO group at the time. He no longer holds that position, the dude from Oregon does.

well, crap. ... missed that part and that is a worry.

This seems like the kind of thing you do when you’re trying to get the top guy to resign rather than having to terminate him.

he's got a huge buyout. there is like a zero percent chance he resigns unless he can do so and call it constructive termination. it is all going to come to a head soon.

he's got a huge buyout. there is like a zero percent chance he resigns unless he can do so and call it constructive termination. it is all going to come to a head soon.

C'mon, Liver. Everything is negotiable.

C'mon, Liver. Everything is negotiable.

of course. i thought the poster was implying that scott would resign out of pique or something. he's going to get paid to leave. dollar amounts are negotiable.

new super completely made up theory:

rick george is slated for the commish job. dorrell was specifically brought in to cover a transition because of the ****ty timing of the tucker thing. he moves to CUAD and hires the next Coach Mac (not mm). we win the nc in 3 years. all is well man. all is well.

"'entire structure and composition' of the conference.. including 'contract issues'"

'composition' sounds like expansion or contraction to me.

expansion has been well discussed on this board, and I'm not aware of any new information to add to the speculation of what schools might be considered beyond stating that given the present state of affairs, it's implausible that any XII schools defect here.

I've speculated for at least five years that the next round of realignment could mean contraction, and that scares tf out of me after reading WIlner's piece.
  1. the schools that offer the least could be the smallest, like OSU and WSU. but hard to imagine that if they keep the big brothers in house
  2. anyone aware of the contractual details between CU and the Pac? first order google search didn't find anything. I think this is the elephant in the living room right now. From a geographic and tradition POV, I could see the left coast schools looking at a return to Pac10 or even Pac8 days.

Last edited:
"'entire structure and composition' of the conference.. including 'contract issues'

'composition' sounds like expansion or contraction to me.

expansion has been well discussed on this board, and I'm not aware of any new information to add to the speculation of what schools might be considered beyond stating that given the present state of affairs, it's implausible that any XII schools defect here.

I've speculated for at least five years that the next round of realignment could mean contraction, and that scares tf out of me after reading WIlner's piece.
  1. the schools that offer the least could be the smallest, like OSU and WSU. but hard to imagine that if they keep the big brothers in house
  2. anyone aware of the contractual details between CU and the Pac? first order google search didn't find anything. I think this is the elephant in the living room right now. From a geographic and tradition POV, I could see the left coast schools looking at a return to Pac10 or even Pac8 days.

no no no

they will try to go to 16 teams and will split it into an east/west division format.

all is well.

big 12 is going to be disintegrated-- teams will go to sec, b10, and pac.

this is the basis for the new huge tv contract that will be negotiated by the pac and will include the sale of all or part of the p12 network to fox or ESPN or someone.

all is well.

of course. i thought the poster was implying that scott would resign out of pique or something. he's going to get paid to leave. dollar amounts are negotiable.

rick george is slated for the commish job. dorrell was specifically brought in to cover a transition because of the ****ty timing of the tucker thing. he moves to CUAD and hires the next Coach Mac (not mm). we win the nc in 3 years. all is well man. all is well.

I've been worried about RG taking the commish job for a while. I think a complete overhaul makes this less likely, though. 🤞

Dorrell as AD? Might not be the worst thing in the world, but if a guy can’t convince a middling 3* linebacker to come here, how is he going to convince a multi millionaire to donate?

realignment and new deals are coming and scott is going. to get the big money, there will have to be playoffs and such.

there will be 4 super conferences of 16 teams each (plus ND and the service academies as indies and other g5 play in opportunities).

to get to the 4 super conferences (each with two 8 team divisions), the math looks like this:

pac 12 +4
sec 14 +2
ACC 14 +2
big10 14 +2

conveniently, the big 12 has 10 teams. they will be split up among the others to make the 4 super conferences. the tv deals will be massive.

the intense lobbying will be around where each of the b12 teams lands, but all will land in a super conference. and every school will make more $$$$.

the advisory committee and the scott rumors and all the rest are just a part of this bigger desired outcome.

realignment and new deals are coming and scott is going. to get the big money, there will have to be playoffs and such.

there will be 4 super conferences of 16 teams each (plus ND and the service academies as indies and other g5 play in opportunities).

to get to the 4 super conferences (each with two 8 team divisions), the math looks like this:

pac 12 +4
sec 14 +2
ACC 14 +2
big10 14 +2

conveniently, the big 12 has 10 teams. they will be split up among the others to make the 4 super conferences. the tv deals will be massive.

the intense lobbying will be around where each of the b12 teams lands, but all will land in a super conference. and every school will make more $$$$.

the advisory committee and the scott rumors and all the rest are just a part of this bigger desired outcome.
this is a topic that I'm fascinated with and I note that you're speaking in certainties here, e.g. "there will be.." (vs. "I believe this will happen" or "indications suggest this is the trend"). assuming you're not over-stating your knowledge, would you please cite your sources?

this is a topic that I'm fascinated with and I note that you're speaking in certainties here, e.g. "there will be.." (vs. "I believe this will happen" or "indications suggest this is the trend"). assuming you're not over-stating your knowledge, would you please cite your sources?
brbon_bas2.jpg

Back