What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sir Larry Scott.. (P12 considering buying out Larry Scott)

The Pac 12 doesn’t have a PR problem, it has a competitiveness problem on the field, stemming from a leadership problem off the field.

But, sounds good to hire a spin machine to make the conference look better (y)

Yup, the real problems are the results. Harsh but true words from the article:

Still, when your motto is “Conference of Champions,” being left out of the championship tournaments in college football and failing to matter in men’s basketball is far more impactful to your brand than talking points.

The Pac-12 sold out the scheduling to the media companies and that has hurt live game attendance and probably disenfranchised future fans. But, of course, the flip-side is that if they hadn't then the revenue gap would be even bigger than it is.

Dude, when someone gives you $3 billion dollars they expect something in return.

Yup, the real problems are the results. Harsh but true words from the article:

Still, when your motto is “Conference of Champions,” being left out of the championship tournaments in college football and failing to matter in men’s basketball is far more impactful to your brand than talking points.
UCLA basketball needs to nail their hire, Cristobal needs to get Oregon going, and Urban needs to coach USC after they fire Helton this year.

Yes, that other revenue stream for Houston is Tilman Fertitta. Just because some schools (e.g. Oregon and Nike) have some giant donors that can self-support the entire AD donation revenue basically by themselves doesn't mean that schools like CU have alums that are willing to spend that money to support the athletic program. Not sure why that's difficult to understand. Through and through the bulk of MOST, not all since you seem to be arguing the exception not the rule, athletic department budgets come from Conference revenue distributions.

The point is that a program is going to find a way to spend to their priorities. If CU wanted to spend $5million for a HC they can do it or $1 million per coordinator; it just means making it a priority. They choose to be more budget-conscious (which is OK) but you can't say they "can't afford it".

Every single school in the The Power 5 receives LESS THAN 30% of their revenues from the conference distribution. It's basic f-ing math. Not sure what that's difficult for you to understand.

Yeah, you just snap your fingers and spend whatever money you want. That is exactly how it works. You just magically find money when you need it.
Not what I said. Deciding to spend your money on something that is a priority is not the same thing.

All you need to win the race is a faster car. You don't need money, just a faster car. I know that guy spent twice as much money on his car, but that's not important.

You just need a faster car than him.

Not what I said. Deciding to spend your money on something that is a priority is not the same thing.

Every school would love to spend $5 million on the HC and another $2-3 million on coordinators. But they cannot, and not simply because they are budget conscious. Those are stark numbers to balance for the vast majority of schools.

Every school would love to spend $5 million on the HC and another $2-3 million on coordinators. But they cannot, and not simply because they are budget conscious. Those are stark numbers to balance for the vast majority of schools.
Look, I understand the budget needs and demands and I'm fine with us not blowing money on coaches. I am in support of Tucker getting a big raise if we get back into the title chase to keep him however and think that is a wise investment.

But the on-field results which leads to fan engagement which leads to season ticket holders/donors is what is going to improve our financial situation in the long-run.

In 2009 the Big Ten TV contract paid out about $20 million per school, the SEC was $17 million. Next was the Big XII at $6.6 million, The ACC at $6.2 million, and the Pac-10 was at $5.3 million, Notre Dame was around $5 million (the Big East still had football back then and paid out just under $3 million per football school), the MWC was around $1.3 million, with the WAC at $444k.

The SEC had Alabama #1 (BCS NC) and Florida #3 in the top ten, with LSU 17th, and Ole Miss 20th.

The Big XII had Texas at #2, with Nebraska 14th, and Texas Tech 21st.

The Big Ten had #5 Ohio State, Iowa #7, Penn State #9, and Wisconsin 16th.

The ACC had #10 Virginia Tech, #13 Georgia Tech, #19 Miami, and #24 Clemson.

The Pac-10 had #11 Oregon and #22 USC.

That year Boise State finished 4th (WAC), TCU was 6th (MWC), Cincinnati (BigEast) 8th, BYU (MWC) 12th, Pittsburgh (BigEast) 15th, Utah (MWC) 18th, West Virginia (BigEast) 25th.

Lots of things have changed since then, but the revenue gap from TV has always been there between the SEC/Big Ten and everyone else. The Pac-12 were able to leapfrog everyone in 2010 with the expansion of CU/Utah, the CCG, and the market at the time; but the Big Ten, SEC, and Big XII played catch-up within the next few years and now the ACC is getting ready for their turn.

Money didn't affect the ability for teams to perform on the field, draw national interest back then and it still doesn't do it today. More people were talking about Boise State and TCU then were talking about Oregon, USC, Tennessee, Michigan, Texas A&M, Colorado, Washington, UCLA, Arizona State, etc. In fact, the on-field success of those teams so threatened the power conferences that they quickly cherry-picked the best programs in a "can't beat 'em; make 'em join you" free-for-all that reset the landscape of college sports.

All of those underachieving programs went on to improve their financial position by leveraging their on-field success/popularity into bigger paydays. Boise State joined the MWC and nearly joined the Big East (at the time a BCS-AQ conference); TCU joined the Big XII, Utah the Pac-12, Pittsburgh (along with Louisville and Syracuse) the ACC, and West Virginia the Big XII; with the exception of Cincinnati (who lost their coach to Notre Dame).

Now, you put great coaching at a program with great resources and you end up with dynasties like Bama, Clemson, Oklahoma, and Georgia. But that isn't the only route to doing it and no matter what, it has to be backed-up by on-field performance.

My whole point is that conference distributions have not been highly correlated with individual program success. But there has been a track record of success leading to higher distributions down the road; but you can't put the cart before the horse.

You are ignoring how the best teams have leveraged budget advantages since 2009 (which is not very relevant to 2019).

The facilities race was still just starting to peak. No one had any idea what "support staff" meant in scouting or recruiting. Coaching salaries have exploded (Saban was making $4 million/year in his initial contract at Bama).

Money matters. A lot. Just ignoring it and picking out favorable case studies in the past is not helpful.

You are ignoring how the best teams have leveraged budget advantages since 2009 (which is not very relevant to 2019).

The facilities race was still just starting to peak. No one had any idea what "support staff" meant in scouting or recruiting. Coaching salaries have exploded (Saban was making $4 million/year in his initial contract at Bama).

Money matters. A lot. Just ignoring it and picking out favorable case studies in the past is not helpful.

There is no debate about money being a key to long-term success. I want to have the resources just like you do. Money does matter. But how to get more money is the question.

I'm not ignoring it. You just said it: "the best teams leverage their advantages".

The Pac-12 doesn't have as much leverage. CU doesn't either.

The only way to change that is to be a much better team on the field. And a much better "conference of teams" in national games.

We can do that now. We don't have to wait for long-term TV contract negotiations to produce increase distributions in order to afford better coaches or facilities, or support staff.

I still don't understand how you propose to "get more money" from TV or the conference distribution.

Let me know when you figure that out. I subscribed to the Nuggets only NBA.com package, but I have to fire up a VPN everytime I want to watch it. It's annoying.

The need for a VPN isn’t going to go away unless they get rid of local blackouts which they won’t do as that’ll kill the RSNs.

NHL.TV just dropped its price to fifty bucks for the rest of the season plus playoffs and NBA LP can be had for a similar price if you sign up with an Argentinian IP.

The need for a VPN isn’t going to go away unless they get rid of local blackouts which they won’t do as that’ll kill the RSNs.

NHL.TV just dropped its price to fifty bucks for the rest of the season plus playoffs and NBA LP can be had for a similar price if you sign up with an Argentinian IP.
The RSN's are dropping the ball by not figuring out a way for their channels to be available to those cutting the cord. The can either:
1) Strike deals to be available as a sports tier add on to Hulu TV, SlingTV, YouTube TV, etc.
2) Partner with NBA LP, NHL,TV, etc. to get the proper revenue for in market shares (may not be possible with the existing contract structure)
3) Die a slow painful death as people drop from being able to access their product

The RSN's are dropping the ball by not figuring out a way for their channels to be available to those cutting the cord. The can either:
1) Strike deals to be available as a sports tier add on to Hulu TV, SlingTV, YouTube TV, etc.
2) Partner with NBA LP, NHL,TV, etc. to get the proper revenue for in market shares (may not be possible with the existing contract structure)
3) Die a slow painful death as people drop from being able to access their product

Thanks for the insight jens, the Nuggets are intriguing and would be a joy to watch more!

I don’t see them changing their ways for a long time unfortunately.

As much as I hate to say it, we need USC to get stupid good, we need Chip Kelly to get UCLA to a level where most of his Oregon teams were, and we need major rebounds by Stanford and Washington. CU getting back to 8+ wins/year wouldn’t hurt either.

Tickets going below face for Monday's game!?!?!?

Something's really wrong

Someone could record the greatest song ever recorded. And everyone would buy it and listen to it over and over. But eventually people would get tired of it and it would become the same old song. That’s what college football has become. The same old song being played over and over and people are tired of it.

Or for another analogy, It’s like “Groundhog Day.” Every Saturday and every season is like waking up to Sonny and Cher singing “I Got You, Babe.”

Last edited:
Someone could record the greatest song ever recorded. And everyone would buy it and listen to it over and over. But eventually people would get tired of it and it would become the same old song. That’s what college football has become. The same old song being played over and over and people are tired of it. It’s “Groundhog Day.” Every Saturday and every season is like waking up to Sonny and Cher singing “I Got You, Babe.”
I have so many issues with this post that I'm not sure where to begin.

but I'll make a first attempt.

1. the analogy doesn't hold. every game is different and watching your favorite team play a different team every week, with different players every season and different offensive/defensive strategies over time, isn't like listening to the same recording over and over. further, bands like the Grateful Dead showed that you can perform the same songs for decades, changing them slightly with each performance, and keep a very large fan base fully engaged and excited.
2. you picked "I Got You, Babe" as your example of what could be the greatest song ever recorded!?!?!?!!?!

Last edited:

1. the analogy doesn't hold. every game is different and watching your favorite team play a different team every week, with different players every season and different offensive/defensive strategies over time, isn't like listening to the same recording over and over. further bands like the Grateful Dead showed that you can perform the same songs for decades, changing them slightly with each performance, and keep a very large fan base fully engaged and excited.
2. you picked "I Got You, Babe" as your example of what could be the greatest song ever recorded!?!?!?!!?!
No on No. 2. I went from one analogy to another. I edited it to be more clear. Mainly, I think the Championship playoffs have gotten stale. The same teams are in it every year. There is no parity in college football. The Championship playoffs have diluted the interest in the big bowl games.

Last edited:

1. the analogy doesn't hold. every game is different and watching your favorite team play a different team every week, with different players every season and different offensive/defensive strategies over time, isn't like listening to the same recording over and over. further, bands like the Grateful Dead showed that you can perform the same songs for decades, changing them slightly with each performance, and keep a very large fan base fully engaged and excited.
Come on, hokie.

Back