What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sir Larry Scott.. (P12 considering buying out Larry Scott)

I think Lance is in the right position, focusing on football. I'd like to bring in someone with more of an RG type resume if CU has to make a hire.

No joke -- that's a job that I might even be willing to entertain the idea of a Dave Logan if they wanted to go a different direction. Entrepreneur who is very media savvy and knows the business.
Actually, I could see that possibly working.

USC first year sked as an Indie:

BYU, UCLA, Norte Dame, Army, Stanford, Tennessee, Utah State,
Colorado, Liberty, Northwestern, Arizona State, Boston College.

Simple, except for the small issue of television...../s

giphy.gif

PAHI thinks no one knows or cares about USC outside of the Pac-12. Not sure why, but that is his view.

Do you think that USC could get its own TV deal a la Notre Dame? I honestly don't know but it seems like a stretch.

Do you think that USC could get its own TV deal a la Notre Dame? I honestly don't know but it seems like a stretch.
You do know that BYU got a TV deal, right?

Oh.... you didn't know that - you're spouting off without specific knowledge.

Again.

Try to keep up. USC's independent TV deal would be better than BYU and likely less than ND. But it would be closer to ND than BYU.

You do know that BYU got a TV deal, right?

Oh.... you didn't know that - you're spouting off without specific knowledge.

Again.

Try to keep up. USC's independent TV deal would be better than BYU and likely less than ND. But it would be closer to ND than BYU.

Looks like you agree with me then. USC wouldn't get a TV deal a la Norte Dame. Maybe something regional, on a lesser network......

Looks like you agree with me then. USC wouldn't get a TV deal a la Norte Dame. Maybe something regional, on a lesser network......
BYU has a national deal.

USC would get a much better one.

What rock do you live under?

BYU has a national deal.

USC would get a much better one.

What rock do you live under?

BYUtv is not NBC. My only point was that USC doesn't have the broad national following that ND has. USC would not get a deal with a major network. It would be more like BYU's situation. JMHO.

BYUtv is not NBC. My only point was that USC doesn't have the broad national following that ND has. USC would not get a deal with a major network. It would be more like BYU's situation. JMHO.
The deal is with ESPN for rights to all the BYU home games with a minimum of 4 having to be picked up (networks + also on the ESPN app). BYUTV is only part of the deal for ESPN letting them broadcast 1 game a year because BYU wanted that. At least 3 of those ESPN games have to be on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2, while the rest they pick up optionally being on ESPNU. They also locked in BYU to the Independence Bowl, basically.

The deal is with ESPN for rights to all the BYU home games with a minimum of 4 having to be picked up (networks + also on the ESPN app). BYUTV is only part of the deal for ESPN letting them broadcast 1 game a year because BYU wanted that. At least 3 of those ESPN games have to be on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2, while the rest they pick up optionally being on ESPNU. They also locked in BYU to the Independence Bowl, basically.

Thanks Nik, I knew that. We have Xfinity with an extra sports package upgrade and it still doesn't include ESPNU (or ESPN3 for that matter). It's not a big full time national broadcast deal but, it's all good. My issue with USC is that a) it's a relatively lukewarm fan base unless they're doing really well, and b) I wonder how geographically widespread outside the Pacific Time Zone its alumni base is. My point in starting this subject was that, while I like Bohn's style with his recent comments, I don't think that USC has much better options than say, a UCLA or Washington, in getting out of the PAC12 seamlessly and successfully.

On another subject, here's an idea for a new conference altogether: ASU, Arizona, CU, Utah, Texas Tech, Texas, OU, Okie State. Let the PAC 12 revert to it's old format of 8 teams; they can deal with their own problems. The new conference combines the guts of the Big12 with The Rocky Mountain Time Zone PAC12 teams.

Thanks Nik, I knew that. We have Xfinity with an extra sports package upgrade and it still doesn't include ESPNU (or ESPN3 for that matter). It's not a big full time national broadcast deal but, it's all good. My issue with USC is that a) it's a relatively lukewarm fan base unless they're doing really well, and b) I wonder how geographically widespread outside the Pacific Time Zone its alumni base is. My point in starting this subject was that, while I like Bohn's style with his recent comments, I don't think that USC has much better options than say, a UCLA or Washington, in getting out of the PAC12 seamlessly and successfully.

On another subject, here's an idea for a new conference altogether: ASU, Arizona, CU, Utah, Texas Tech, Texas, OU, Okie State. Let the PAC 12 revert to it's old format of 8 teams; they can deal with their own problems. The new conference combines the guts of the Big12 with The Rocky Mountain Time Zone PAC12 teams.
The biggest watch parties I've seen in the DC area are USC's. And not by a little bit.

They have a national presence.

Every USC alumni I know talks about going to alumni events every so often.

Lots of these friends are in the foreign service, when we talk football they talk about going to watch parties in Hong Kong, Mexico City, etc, etc.

But tell me more about how they don't have a "national" audience.

The biggest watch parties I've seen in the DC area are USC's. And not by a little bit.

Lots of these friends are in the foreign service, when we talk football they talk about going to watch parties in Hong Kong, Mexico City, etc, etc.

Private school alumni outreach is impressive; makes sense without the public funds and smaller size. My wife went to a private liberal arts school on the West coast and they reach out all the time. Mailers, calls, local happy hours meetups (we’re 1500 miles away). They do everything they can to keep their community engaged.

BYU has the built in Mormon community.

USC $hits money, is a blue blood, and would have zero issues getting a TV deal.

The numbers, at least from last year, don't back your anecdotal evidence. Two other Pac12 schools beat USC in total viewership last year.

Link

The numbers, at least from last year, don't back your anecdotal evidence. Two other Pac12 schools beat USC in total viewership last year.

Link
I think that has to do with those schools being good. Being an independent with their own TV deal would likely motivate USC to get a real coach.

Back