What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sir Larry Scott.. (P12 considering buying out Larry Scott)

They would probably have a deal like Notre Dame where they have to play 6 games against Pac-12 teams each year. Dropping from 9 controlled conference games to 3 would be a pretty massive loss for the conference.

The biggest watch parties I've seen in the DC area are USC's. And not by a little bit.

They have a national presence.

Every USC alumni I know talks about going to alumni events every so often.

Lots of these friends are in the foreign service, when we talk football they talk about going to watch parties in Hong Kong, Mexico City, etc, etc.

But tell me more about how they don't have a "national" audience.

Zzzzzzz........

They would probably have a deal like Notre Dame where they have to play 6 games against Pac-12 teams each year. Dropping from 9 controlled conference games to 3 would be a pretty massive loss for the conference.

Schools ( Utah, CO, ASU, UofA ) that could more easily leave the PAC12 than others need to start worrying about themselves and not the conference.

Schools ( Utah, CO, ASU, UofA ) that could more easily leave the PAC12 than others need to start worrying about themselves and not the conference.
Those four schools can't really leave the Pac-12 that easily though. CU could fit in the Big-10 I guess but going back to the Big-12 wouldn't increase conference payouts, it would actually reduce the number they distribute per team for the current Big-12 teams.

I think conference expansions are on the back burner for now. I would not worry about directv they may not be around in 3 years. The PAC12 has to evaluate their tv model. Going on their own right now was a bad idea and will it still be in a few years. Who knows. But it does not look good.

I think conference expansions are on the back burner for now. I would not worry about directv they may not be around in 3 years. The PAC12 has to evaluate their tv model. Going on their own right now was a bad idea and will it still be in a few years. Who knows. But it does not look good.
DirecTV still has a lot of bar/restaurant subs. If those go, then it is time to worry. Right now, there’s nobody else showing every NFL game. If the P12 isn’t available there, you’re losing a lot of sports fans.

Where is television headed? I saw something about costs creeping up with streaming services as well. I wonder if there will be some sort of “sports burnout” with younger viewers. I wonder how the next round of contracts will go?

Where is television headed? I saw something about costs creeping up with streaming services as well. I wonder if there will be some sort of “sports burnout” with younger viewers. I wonder how the next round of contracts will go?
For the P12 or for the B1G & $EC?

So I work in the multi family development industry and deal with cable and internet providers in our buildings. I was talking to one of our consultants who helps write these service agreements for our buildings and he said that in the most recent student housing developments he has worked on the video penetration (how many residents in a building are signing up for a cable tv service) has been below 20% which is crazy.

TV will be entirely over the internet in some form in very short order. Satellite dish services are going the way of VHS tapes IMO.

So I work in the multi family development industry and deal with cable and internet providers in our buildings. I was talking to one of our consultants who helps write these service agreements for our buildings and he said that in the most recent student housing developments he has worked on the video penetration (how many residents in a building are signing up for a cable tv service) has been below 20% which is crazy.

TV will be entirely over the internet in some form in very short order. Satellite dish services are going the way of VHS tapes IMO.
What about sports bars? Will they be streaming, too, or will they stick with satellite longer for their needs?

What about sports bars? Will they be streaming, too, or will they stick with satellite longer for their needs?
Once a streaming service presents a package that is almost entirely sports programming based they will go that way too.

It is another reason why Altitude is having issues with comcast, they provide the internet so over the long haul they aren't as invested in being a cable provider.

DTV and Dish will never completely go away since there will always be people in remote areas that can't get cable though.

Just my opinion, but the satellite companies can’t survive on the sports bar market alone - if individual users largely abandon satellites, I don’t see how groups like DirecTV can afford to hang onto expensive properties like Sunday Ticket.

Satellite is a dinosaur where broadband internet is abundant - I can watch pretty much anything ever recorded on my phone or computer wirelessly and I don’t see how in a world where that is the case that there is a long term future for hanging big, ugly satellite dishes on buildings.

Pulled this from Wilner's newsletter:

The basketball recruiting expenditure by the Pac-12 collective is far, far behind the other power conferences.

The average spend per member:

Big 12: $471,301
Big Ten: $445,296
SEC: $414,957
ACC: $272,688
Pac-12: $209,113

(That's the above the table money, of course.)

Source of data:

Once a streaming service presents a package that is almost entirely sports programming based they will go that way too.

It is another reason why Altitude is having issues with comcast, they provide the internet so over the long haul they aren't as invested in being a cable provider.

DTV and Dish will never completely go away since there will always be people in remote areas that can't get cable though.

The television entertainment business is just getting into its shake out period with regards to OTT programming and where it is going. The cable companies have already decided to quit fighting it, they are no longer cutting prices on tv packages to retain customers. They are focusing on the Internet side of the business. It already appears that Disney will be a key player.

There are two main areas of entertainment -content to be watched live, news and sports, and content that really does not need to be watched live. As it goes more OTT advertising for some content will continue to drop with non live content. CBS dropping the SEC game of the week shows that some do not have the appetite to compete financially for live content. The real key for future tv contracts is how many players will be in the market to purchase sports programming.

I went with Dish after having DTV for years. Couple of reasons for that. One, my bill was always going up. I found out why, they had been charging me for channels I didn't even have, I'd had them taken off because I never watched them. I actually tried to get Comcast, but, at that time, they didn't do service in my area. I haven't talked to them since, so Idk if they do now or not? Main reason was to get the Pac12 Network, even though I don't particularly care for it. Going full streaming would probably be a problem out at my house, it's about 8 miles out of Aztec.

I went with Dish after having DTV for years. Couple of reasons for that. One, my bill was always going up. I found out why, they had been charging me for channels I didn't even have, I'd had them taken off because I never watched them. I actually tried to get Comcast, but, at that time, they didn't do service in my area. I haven't talked to them since, so Idk if they do now or not? Main reason was to get the Pac12 Network, even though I don't particularly care for it. Going full streaming would probably be a problem out at my house, it's about 8 miles out of Aztec.
I think one of the big tells about where the industry is going is that Dish company spends a fortune advertising and promoting its Sling stream service and much less on the campaign around its Dish satellite service.

I think one of the big tells about where the industry is going is that Dish company spends a fortune advertising and promoting its Sling stream service and much less on the campaign around its Dish satellite service.
I wouldn't have a problem with a streaming service. I just don't know how doable it is out there? I'll be there, at least, another year and a half. I have Amazon Prime and Netflix, but it's not always smooth sailing with the connection, it's slow sometimes.

Lol.

PaHI picks the weirdest ****ing hills to die on. I like to imagine he'd be so much happier if he could challenge his own preconceived notions and admit he might be wrong once in a while. But if he were capable of that, it would drastically reduce some of the entertainment value of Allbuffs.

It's just that I've NEVER met a USC graduate in my life. Ever. They're as rare as the Stegosauraus. Maybe they're all plastic surgeons or hedge fund guy. Who knows?

It's just that I've NEVER met a USC graduate in my life. Ever. They're as rare as the Stegosauraus. Maybe they're all plastic surgeons or hedge fund guy. Who knows?
This point has been made to you several times across several threads and subjects: travel more, meet people outside your own demographic, expand your horizons.

If everyone you meet is just like everyone else you've ever met it doesn't mean that you have a good handle on what "people" want, like or think.

It means you live in a bubble.

I've met USC grads in Colorado, DC, Montana, Austria, Mexico, Guatemala, California, Washington, British Columbia, and probably a lot more places if I really thought about it.

But please, continue to pontificate on the behavior of an entire group of people after having met exactly zero of them in person, ever.

Notre Dame's deal is based exclusively on their alumni watching? I think you're under estimating the demographics.

I felt like I met/saw a lot of USC grads in Boulder when I lived there (until last year)... Now that I live back in northern California, they're pretty common. The license plate frame of the biggest SUV you see at a red light is usually a good way to find one.

Notre Dame has massive amounts of fans who have never even been to Indiana, because of their religious aspect.. USC to me doesn't seem so national, but still very popular across the west, obviously with a super-concentration from LA to San Diego.

Heck, in that not that distant past, my grandma grew up rooting for USC in the Notre Dame-USC game, despite no ties to USC, because it was a Catholic v. Protestant shibboleth in California. Still, I don't think USC has generated the same amount of otherwise unaffiliated fans across the country.

Notre Dame retains that religious appeal, USC obviously has long distanced themselves from that, to the extent they ever had any of it at all. I don't think USC would be as popular as ND as an independent (ND has been doing it forever), but they still have a national brand, IMO. Especially if they could get back to winning football games that matter. I know I see a hell of a lot more Alabama Crimson Tide license plate frames now than I ever did 10 or 15 years ago. People love a winner.

I felt like I met/saw a lot of USC grads in Boulder when I lived there (until last year)... Now that I live back in northern California, they're pretty common. The license plate frame of the biggest SUV you see at a red light is usually a good way to find one.

Notre Dame has massive amounts of fans who have never even been to Indiana, because of their religious aspect.. USC to me doesn't seem so national, but still very popular across the west, obviously with a super-concentration from LA to San Diego.

Heck, in that not that distant past, my grandma grew up rooting for USC in the Notre Dame-USC game, despite no ties to USC, because it was a Catholic v. Protestant shibboleth in California. Still, I don't think USC has generated the same amount of otherwise unaffiliated fans across the country.

Notre Dame retains that religious appeal, USC obviously has long distanced themselves from that, to the extent they ever had any of it at all. I don't think USC would be as popular as ND as an independent (ND has been doing it forever), but they still have a national brand, IMO. Especially if they could get back to winning football games that matter. I know I see a hell of a lot more Alabama Crimson Tide license plate frames now than I ever did 10 or 15 years ago. People love a winner.
It's not just that they have fans. It's about what the viewer is more likely to tune into.

For example, if there's a national broadcast of a game between USC and Texas I'm going to tune in. And I will probably choose to watch that over a game between 2 ranked teams that aren't elite programs. To a prospective average viewer in Connecticut, any opponent USC or Texas is playing makes for a more interesting broadcast than seeing a game that's more meaningful to that season's conference races and rankings. And when one of those elites is ranked or playing for something meaningful, the ratings skyrocket from there.

Same principle for bowl games and the ratings they get. Same principle for the NCAA tourney where an 8/9 game between name programs is going to draw a lot of eyeballs.

Back