What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sir Larry Scott.. (P12 considering buying out Larry Scott)

Part of the reason fan interest is waning can be tied back to the many of the scheduling decisions. Games late on night, games not readily available via TV, - you get less exposure so you get less interest then you get even less interest It seems to be a downward spiral to me.

The AAC ESPN contract is going to be up in 2020 - that one I think could be very interesting. They bring schools from big population centers which may be interesting to players like Amazon, HBO and Netflixs if they decide to get into live sports more.

Part of the reason fan interest is waning can be tied back to the many of the scheduling decisions. Games late on night, games not readily available via TV, - you get less exposure so you get less interest then you get even less interest It seems to be a downward spiral to me.

The AAC ESPN contract is going to be up in 2020 - that one I think could be very interesting. They bring schools from big population centers which may be interesting to players like Amazon, HBO and Netflixs if they decide to get into live sports more.

Actually a big part of the problem is not lack of availability, it is over availability.

It used to be that fans looked forward to Saturday when they could go to the stadium or stay home and see a couple very good games followed by Sunday with a couple NFL games including the local franchise.

Now we have NFL games Thursday night, Sunday from mid-morning till late night, Monday night, and near the end of the season on Saturdays as well. Not to be outdone we have college football games on Tuesday night (MAC Conference,) Thursday night, Friday night, and all day Saturday from early morning until late night on multiple channels.

There is nothing special about setting time aside to see a game because there seems to always be a game. On one of the few times a live game isn't on somebody has a replay.

As a result there is no urgency to watch what is on so some fans don't watch anything at all.

Actually a big part of the problem is not lack of availability, it is over availability.

It used to be that fans looked forward to Saturday when they could go to the stadium or stay home and see a couple very good games followed by Sunday with a couple NFL games including the local franchise.

Now we have NFL games Thursday night, Sunday from mid-morning till late night, Monday night, and near the end of the season on Saturdays as well. Not to be outdone we have college football games on Tuesday night (MAC Conference,) Thursday night, Friday night, and all day Saturday from early morning until late night on multiple channels.

There is nothing special about setting time aside to see a game because there seems to always be a game. On one of the few times a live game isn't on somebody has a replay.

As a result there is no urgency to watch what is on so some fans don't watch anything at all.

I have to confess to being "old-school" I guess. Anytime there is a college game on besides Saturday I completely rule out watching it. It just doesn't feel right. I absolutely hate when CU plays on those weekday night games and more often than not I miss big chunks of the game due to "normal routine".

The Pac-12 sold out the scheduling to the media companies and that has hurt live game attendance and probably disenfranchised future fans. But, of course, the flip-side is that if they hadn't then the revenue gap would be even bigger than it is.

How can anyone argue the financial inequality isn't impacting the quality of competition when CU can't afford to bring highly sought after assistant coaches to Boulder because they are paying $3m/year to their former HC?
Houston, who gets $5 million a year from the AAC; just bought out Applewhite for $2m (not to mention some of his assistants) and turned around and paid Holgorsen (and still have to pay his assistants):
2019: $3.7 million
2020: $3.8 million
2021: $4 million
2022: $4.2 million
2023: $4.3 million

That's essentially 100% or more of their distributions going to football coaching salaries.

Because they are using other sources of revenue (probably donations) in this instance to make this their priority.

My point was that there are other revenue streams for schools beyond the distribution from the conference.

Houston, who gets $5 million a year from the AAC; just bought out Applewhite for $2m (not to mention some of his assistants) and turned around and paid Holgorsen (and still have to pay his assistants):

That's essentially 100% or more of their distributions going to football coaching salaries.

Because they are using other sources of revenue (probably donations) in this instance to make this their priority.

My point was that there are other revenue streams for schools beyond the distribution from the conference.
Yes, that other revenue stream for Houston is Tilman Fertitta. Just because some schools (e.g. Oregon and Nike) have some giant donors that can self-support the entire AD donation revenue basically by themselves doesn't mean that schools like CU have alums that are willing to spend that money to support the athletic program. Not sure why that's difficult to understand. Through and through the bulk of MOST, not all since you seem to be arguing the exception not the rule, athletic department budgets come from Conference revenue distributions.

Next you'll tell me Oregon has other sources of revenue and use that as a reason to downplay the impact of conference distribution money!

You are generalizing on a specific problem. Yes there are a lot of games on TV but not many of them are PAC12 games. The PAC 12 network has little penetration. I bet I went 35+ years watching every CU football game either live or on TV. If I was unable to see it live I recorded it on my VCR and later on my DVR. I don't have the PAC-12 network so now I miss half the games every year. What I found is I am disconnecting from the program. What is happening is fans like myself are losing their passion for the CU program. In your scenario you are describing the casual sports fan but the really successful programs have a large core of passionate fans - I believe CU is eroding their core fan base which is a significant problem and it appears to be happening across the PAC-12. Those core viewers are what the networks are looking for when they negotiate contract.

The announcement today the PAC 12 is hiring a PR firm to help fix its brand gives insight into the issue. I have no problem with hiring the PR firm but that is not going to fix the problem. It gives insight into the leadership of the PAC 12 - it is similar with someone painting a house with an obviously failing foundation with the hopes it will sell, pretty it up but don't fix the problems.

You are generalizing on a specific problem. Yes there are a lot of games on TV but not many of them are PAC12 games. The PAC 12 network has little penetration. I bet I went 35+ years watching every CU football game either live or on TV. If I was unable to see it live I recorded it on my VCR and later on my DVR. I don't have the PAC-12 network so now I miss half the games every year. What I found is I am disconnecting from the program. What is happening is fans like myself are losing their passion for the CU program. In your scenario you are describing the casual sports fan but the really successful programs have a large core of passionate fans - I believe CU is eroding their core fan base which is a significant problem and it appears to be happening across the PAC-12. Those core viewers are what the networks are looking for when they negotiate contract.
How is CU eroding their core fan base because you refuse to get access to the Pac 12 Network? You say you're disconnecting and losing your passion for CU and blaming it on not being able to watch half their games, but I'm struggling to understand how that is anyone's fault but your own...

Why would you go to all that trouble for 35 years of not missing a game - yet refuse to pick up the PAC 12 Network? If it's not available on your cable carrier, it's available on Sling and other online distributors. I understand your point about penetration and the PAC's failures, but you can have access for very little trouble or $

Why would you go to all that trouble for 35 years of not missing a game - yet refuse to pick up the PAC 12 Network? If it's not available on your cable carrier, it's available on Sling and other online distributors. I understand your point about penetration and the PAC's failures, but you can have access for very little trouble or $
I subscribe to both YouTube TV and SlingTV to ensure I get all the stations I want and I still spend 1/3 less than my old cable subscription.

I subscribe to both YouTube TV and SlingTV to ensure I get all the stations I want and I still spend 1/3 less than my old cable subscription.

How is it possible to pay that much before? YouTube tv is $40 and sling orange with dvr and pac12 network is $35

You only need sling blue +$5 for pac 12, so $30. $200 for cable honestly doesn’t sound out of this realm. My parents used to pay between $150-225 a month for cable. This is why I have never gotten it, I’ve never seen a bigger waste of money.

Last edited:
Totally untrue. Solich is a dedicated Buff fan and is a big donor to the program.

I was told by a friend of the program just the other day that Solich hasn't given any real money to CU since he got left out of the Bohn replacement conversations years ago.

You only need sling blue +$5 for pac 12, so $30. $200 for cable honestly doesn’t sound out of this realm. My parents used to pay between $150-225 a month for cable. This is why I have never gotten it, I’ve never see a bigger waste of money.
Somehow I have turned into your parents!

HauntingRecklessKingfisher-max-1mb.gif

Cable companies get you with the 'equipment rental' fees that absolutely kill you when you have multiple televisions. The boxes cost per month more than a basic Sling service.
I still roll w Dish at the moment and it's $15/mo for my HD DVR box, plus an extra $10/mo for our smaller box for our room. That's $25/mo just for the equipment, which ends up being just under 1/4 of my total monthly bill. The real **** of it is, I got a 4k TV and they told me that a 4k box would be a $350 one time fee and then $15 or $20 (can't remember)/month. ****. Off.

I was told by a friend of the program just the other day that Solich hasn't given any real money to CU since he got left out of the Bohn replacement conversations years ago.

That is just not true - I know he has given money to the program. I also know that he always said he wanted to be a donor but not THE donor. He never liked how Bohn paraded him around during the Butch Jones disaster. There seems to be some expectations among fans that he is going to jump up and be a Phil Knight type of donor which he has always tried to avoid.

I started losing my passion for the games after the Hawkins years and it accelerated due to a couple of issues but the night games were a major one. The seven o'clock kickoff times in November were a killer. The product on the field was not very good. A couple of years ago when I cut the cord getting the P12 network was not a major factor and it is not worth it to me. My point is once the fans lose their passion it is hard to get it back. I am still a Buff fan but I have transitioned from a rabid fan to a casual fan. I am not alone - as I have said before there are a lot of empty seats in sections that require a $400 donation per seat and it did not use to be that way.

I still roll w Dish at the moment and it's $15/mo for my HD DVR box, plus an extra $10/mo for our smaller box for our room. That's $25/mo just for the equipment, which ends up being just under 1/4 of my total monthly bill. The real **** of it is, I got a 4k TV and they told me that a 4k box would be a $350 one time fee and then $15 or $20 (can't remember)/month. ****. Off.

That’s ridiculous. I’ll admit I miss out on 4K content for TV. But I have like 30+ something 4K movies that I bought just the digital copies for online for like $8 a piece. I’ve spent less on my entire 4K collection than you would to just use their box lol

How is it possible to pay that much before? YouTube tv is $40 and sling orange with dvr and pac12 network is $35
$110 for dear old Comcast previously. The cost per box spread all over the house was killing us.

That’s ridiculous. I’ll admit I miss out on 4K content for TV. But I have like 30+ something 4K movies that I bought just the digital copies for online for like $8 a piece. I’ve spent less on my entire 4K collection than you would to just use their box lol
The wife hasn't quite gotten on board with streaming, plus I'm too lazy to figure out Rockies/Avs/Nuggets coverage when cutting the cord.

The wife hasn't quite gotten on board with streaming, plus I'm too lazy to figure out Rockies/Avs/Nuggets coverage when cutting the cord.

My LG OLED is pretty cool because all the apps are built in (like most TV’s) but since it’s considered “high end” it’s had all the 4K apps long before other brands. Netflix, Vudu, FandangoNow and so on. You can buy/rent any movies and shows in 4K on there.

I cannot watch local sports, that is the downside. I miss seeing the games but I can’t justify the cost, it’s just too much and I spend maybe an hour a day watching TV anyway. I did like highlander once and bought the Rockies package for the 4th of July, it was like $29 for the rest of the season and I used a VPN and watched all their games.

My point is once the fans lose their passion it is hard to get it back.

Agree with this. Believe you'll come back with a vengeance if MT gets us to where we want, but it will take winning. In 2016 Folsom was rocking. This was my first year in the Champions Club and I'm renewing, but a couple years of mediocre football and there will be a decision to be made. My passion has waned over the years as well, but I'm chalking that up to age at the moment.

Agree with this. Believe you'll come back with a vengeance if MT gets us to where we want, but it will take winning. In 2016 Folsom was rocking. This was my first year in the Champions Club and I'm renewing, but a couple years of mediocre football and there will be a decision to be made. My passion has waned over the years as well, but I'm chalking that up to age at the moment.

Winning solves everything.

Cable companies get you with the 'equipment rental' fees that absolutely kill you when you have multiple televisions. The boxes cost per month more than a basic Sling service.

This is why I've gone with a Tivo, I had to do the initial hardware purchase, but I don't have any monthly fees for any of my additional Tivo Mini's.

Back