What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Site Rankings of 2017 Class

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Scout: #30 (#6 in Pac-12)
Rivals: #32 (#7 in Pac-12)
ESPN; #27 (#6 in Pac-12)
247Sports: #35 (#6 in Pac-12)

Average: #31.0 Nationally / #6.25 Pac-12

This is the bottom of the range CU needs to be recruiting in over a 4-year period to be able to match talent and compete consistently for Pac-12 titles. I love seeing this, especially in context of knowing that the MacIntyre regime is very good at talent evaluation.

Crazy how big of an upgrade this is, and makes us fairly average as a P5 team in terms of talent acquisition.

Even if all the talent on last years team wasn't brought in by HCMM and his staff, it speaks volumes to what he and his staff did with developing lesser ranked recruits over the last four years.

Crazy how big of an upgrade this is, and makes us fairly average as a P5 team in terms of talent acquisition.

Even if all the talent on last years team wasn't brought in by HCMM and his staff, it speaks volumes to what he and his staff did with developing lesser ranked recruits over the last four years.

The fact that HCMM and his staff know how to coach up and develop players has me really excited to see what they can do with a class like this.

We're at a very important point in our program.

If this class is a win, we could have Big Mo take us to a perennial top 10 status.

If this class is a bust and the season blows up on us, we could revert back to the ways of the last decade.

Pac-12 killed it this year. Stanford and USC have elite classes but UW, CU, UO and UCLA provide a lot of depth. If Cal didn't fire their coach the Pac would probably have all 12 teams in the top 50.

Scout: #30 (#6 in Pac-12)
Rivals: #32 (#7 in Pac-12)
ESPN; #27 (#6 in Pac-12)
247Sports: #35 (#6 in Pac-12)

Average: #31.0 Nationally / #6.25 Pac-12

This is the bottom of the range CU needs to be recruiting in over a 4-year period to be able to match talent and compete consistently for Pac-12 titles. I love seeing this, especially in context of knowing that the MacIntyre regime is very good at talent evaluation.

I think the class will turn out to be better than where the sites have us ranked. I think some of the guys are better than they are getting credit for (Poplawski, Bell, Polley, etc)

I think the class will turn out to be better than where the sites have us ranked. I think some of the guys are better than they are getting credit for (Poplawski, Bell, Polley, etc)
Granted, Jaylon Jackson might not be playing at CU had he been able to show off his abilities the last 2 years, but he might be the most under-ranked player in the class. Legit 4* kid as a Sophomore, who could have been one of the best WR prospects out of Texas had he stayed completely healthy. Multiple sites dropped him to a 3*. Also think Moretti could have possibly been elevated to a 5* had he played his senior year.

What's funny about star rankings...I looked up von miller this morning and he was rated a 3 star prospect, I never knew. Maybe he's the exception but, I'll trust the coaches evaluations.

What's funny about star rankings...I looked up von miller this morning and he was rated a 3 star prospect, I never knew. Maybe he's the exception but, I'll trust the coaches evaluations.
According the ESPN, there are 11 total players in the Super Bowl who were ranked in the Top 300 coming out of High School

I am happy with the class relative to recent history (going from 11th or 12th for years to 6th), but I felt like we missed a lot of chances to be much stronger than we were. I think the end of season challenges we had and our slowness in addressing them probably cost us three to five game changer recruits. Its also crazy how good you have to do with recruiting to keep up with the rest of the PAC12.

I agree though that the MM staff has a real strength in identifying undervalued talent and then developing it. If this class is undervalued talent, then we are going to be really good in a couple of years.

Not really.
I don't think I ever implied that an incoming recruiting class should be judged based on who will play in the Super Bowl. He brought up Von being a 3* recruit and I mentioned that there are 11 guys in the top 300 playing in the SB. You're drawing conclusions that weren't intended by any stretch.

I think you can throw a blanket over from 15-20 to 35-40 and they are pretty close. I mean, we have two 4's and twenty one 3's. Several of the 3's are a hare's breath from being rated a 4. And it's all subjective to a degree. We just have to face that we will never be in the 'bama stratosphere they are in right now. But we can build a pretty damned solid program if we can consistently be around the top 30 or better.

My bad. I appreciate the pointless data points on recruiting rankings.
56145456.jpg

I think you can throw a blanket over from 15-20 to 35-40 and they are pretty close. I mean, we have two 4's and twenty one 3's. Several of the 3's are a hare's breath from being rated a 4. And it's all subjective to a degree. We just have to face that we will never be in the 'bama stratosphere they are in right now. But we can build a pretty damned solid program if we can consistently be around the top 30 or better.
Huh. I always thought it was a hair's breadth.

Good class for CU relative to where we have been. I don't follow recruiting on a recruit by recruit basis but do look at class rankings - most teams in the PAC 12 seemed to do well. Utah had a small class but they seemed to have some quality to it - 6 -4 stars. Cal was the only team out of the Top 50 but had a small class (do not know if by design or just had trouble getting their guys). Oregon and USC closed strong, both grabbing some highly rated recruits in the final days.

Nationally, it seems unreal how the top teams just horde the talent. Georgia has always recruited well but really came on this year with 23 of their 26 recruits being 4 and 5 stars. SEC and Big 10 seemed to be the conferences that dominated recruiting. (Using Scout for my info).

Florida also finishes strong nationally but McElwain needs to find a QB. Texas is not on the road to recovery, yet. Texas fans were probably disappointed how weak they were within their own boarders. They did not seem to get much of a Pop with Herman hired as the HC. Use to be that UT would get 7 to 8 of the top 10 recruits in Texas - not anymore. Now everyone is in Texas recruiting. Ohio State seemed to cherry pick some quality players out of Texas.

I remember before Chiaverini, some fans on this board were saying we should abandon recruiting Texas - good thing we did not.

The fact that Coach Mac has shown definitive growth from 2 seasons ago with a much lower ranked class of recruits and was able to bring us the success we saw last year is incredible for our future. With the extension in place and Coach Mac's system and mindset fully implemented here, he'll be able to do incredible things with a definitively better set of recruits.

I think our recruiting outlook will rise as well, next year I suspect Coach Mac will be able to put together a top 20/25 caliber class, even if we are simply average record wise.

Here is what is funny about your post - both Rivals and Scout had Miller as a 4 star recruit. People can always cherry pick data but Miller was a highly regarded recruit.

Heh. You have been just as snarky lately.

Anyway, I think the Von Miller example is not especially useful. He would have been the best defensive recruit in this class. People need to stop treating all 3* players as equals. There is a big difference from the high 3* range (typically these players have several P5 offers and are rated at their position) to the lowest 3* range (typically very few P5 offers and unrated at their positions).

Great jump! I think it was Herbstreit who noted Mac won all these games w one year having the lowest ranked P5 recruiting class.

Anyway, I think the Von Miller example is not especially useful. He would have been the best defensive recruit in this class. People need to stop treating all 3* players as equals. There is a big difference from the high 3* range (typically these players have several P5 offers and are rated at their position) to the lowest 3* range (typically very few P5 offers and unrated at their positions).

To put this a different way, think of the way we sometimes rate how attractive someone is.

"The Star System... from a different point of view"

A "10" is like a 5*. Not too many of them out there. And there's not gonna be a lot of disagreement.

A 4* is like someone we'd give an "8" or "9". A bit more agreement here than with those we rate lower, too. Some people may think a "9" is a "10" and some may think an "8" is more of a "7". Regardless, it's still not representing a big percentage of the population and we mostly agree that they're all really attractive.

Now, a 3*... that's a lot of people. Everyone we'd rate a "7" (which, as we covered, some will think is an "8") all the way down to a "4" (which some will see as a "3" or not think is even worth bothering to rate). There's a world of difference between a "7" and a "4". To Duff's point -- telling me a "4" and a "7" is the same or pretending to in order to fit your argument is total bull****.

When we get to 2*, we're talking the range from a "1" to a "3" and we really don't want to spend much time splitting those hairs. So we're going to miss some here that might just need to get a new haircut, some skin cream and a diet & exercise plan to transform into a "7" or "8" within a couple years of putting that work in.

Last, we have the 0* which are simply unrated and would be a "0" or "TBD" on our attractiveness scale. We haven't seen them ourselves, know that there's some interest in them, but we haven't gotten enough 2nd hand reports from people whose opinions we trust to make us throw out a 2* (1-3) or 3* (4-7) rating for completeness sake of our attractiveness database.

:D

Last edited:
To put this a different way, think of the way we sometimes rate how attractive someone is.

A "10" is like a 5*. Not too many of them out there. And there's not gonna be a lot of disagreement.

A 4* is like someone we'd give an "8" or "9". A bit more agreement here, too. Some people may think a "9" is a "10" and some may think an "8" is more of a "7". Regardless, it's still not representing a big percentage of the population.

Now, a 3*... that's a lot of people. Everyone we'd rate a "7" (which, as we covered, some will think is an "8") all the way down to a "4" (which some will see as a "3" or not think is even worth bothering to rate). There's a world of difference between a "7" and a "4". To Duff's point -- telling me a "4" and a "7" is the same or pretending to in order to fit your argument is total bull****.

When we get to 2*, we're talking the range from a "1" to a "3" and we really don't want to spend much time splitting those hairs. So we're going to miss some here that might just need to get haircut, some skin cream and a diet & exercise plan to transform into a "7" or "8" within a couple years of putting that work in.

Last, we have the 0* which are simply unrated and would be a "0" or "TBD" on our attractiveness scale. We haven't seen them ourselves, know that there's some interest in them, but we haven't gotten enough 2nd hand reports from people whose opinions we trust to make us throw out a 2* (1-3) or 3* (4-7) rating for completeness sake of our attractiveness database.

:ROFLMAO:

A 4* is like someone we'd give an "8" or "9". A bit more agreement here than with those we rate lower, too. Some people may think a "9" is a "10" and some may think an "8" is more of a "7". Regardless, it's still not representing a big percentage of the population and we mostly agree that they're all really attractive.

When we get to 2*, we're talking the range from a "1" to a "3" and we really don't want to spend much time splitting those hairs. So we're going to miss some here that might just need to get a new haircut, some skin cream and a diet & exercise plan to transform into a "7" or "8" within a couple years of putting that work in.

I was actually thinking about this while driving to an appointment this morning and came to the conclusion a 1-10 rating scale would be much better. They won't change it, I don't believe, and Rivals RR system of weights from 5.1-6.0 was a way they were trying to achieve this without a wholesale switch.

To put it in perspective:
2017 for CU
1 5.9
1 5.8
4 5.7s
11 5.6s
6 5.5s
3 5.4s
1 5.2

2 5.8s
2 5.7s
3 5.6s
4 5.5s
4 5.4s
2 5.3s
1 unrated

That is a wild improvement from one year to the next.

Back