What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ski team- 2021 season regular season results (RMISA Championships end Feb. 26-27)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Thought I'd start this thread, as the ski team's about to kick off its season. This thread will be used for all ski team news and regular season and RMISA (conference) championships races. The NCAA Championships will have their own thread. (Those championships are scheduled to be hosted by Middlebury College in New Hampshire from March 10-13, 2021.)

Go Buffs!!!
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Edit - For those who don't remember, wanted to mention one special aspect to this season is that it was announced this summer that legendary Coach Rokos is retiring after this season. Hope and assume the team will have extra motivation to excel on the slopes and trails!

Link to cubuffs.com article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2020/7/24/cu-skiing-rokos-to-retire-after-2021-season.aspx
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Full schedule (Of course, in these Pandemic times, assume changes are VERY possible.)

A paste of the schedule -

DateTimeAtOpponentLocationTournament
January 10, 2021 (Sunday)All DayWomen's Giant Slalom (2)Aspen, Colo.Denver Invitational
January 11, 2021 (Monday)All DayMen's Giant Slalom (2)Aspen, Colo.Denver Invitational
January 22, 2021 (Friday)All Day5/7.5K FreestyleMinturn, Colo.Denver Invitational
January 23, 2021 (Saturday)All Day7.5/10K ClassicMinturn, Colo.Denver Invitational
January 12, 2021 (Tuesday)All DayHomeWomen's Slalom (2)Nederland, Colo.Spencer James Nelson Colorado Memorial Invitational
January 13, 2021 (Wednesday)All DayHomeMen's Slalom (2)Nederland, Colo.Spencer James Nelson Colorado Memorial Invitational
February 5, 2021 (Friday)All DayHomeFreestyle SprintAspen, Colo.Spencer James Nelson Colorado Memorial Invitational
February 6, 2021 (Saturday)All DayHome5/10K ClassicAspen, Colo.Spencer James Nelson Colorado Memorial Invitational
January 17, 2021 (Sunday)All Day5/10K FreestyleMidway, UtahRMISA Invitational at Utah
January 18, 2021 (Monday)All Day15/20K ClassicMidway, UtahRMISA Invitational at Utah
February 11, 2021 (Thursday)All DayWomen's Giant Slalom (2)Snowbird, UtahRMISA Invitational at Utah
February 12, 2021 (Friday)All DayMen's Giant Slalom (2)Snowbird, UtahRMISA Invitational at Utah
February 8, 2021 (Monday)All DayWomen's Slalom (2)Park City, UtahRMISA Invitational at Westminster & Soldier Hollow
February 9, 2021 (Tuesday)All DayMen's Slalom (2)Park City, UtahRMISA Invitational at Westminster & Soldier Hollow
February 22, 2021 (Monday)All Day5/10K ClassicMidway , UtahRMISA Invitational at Westminster & Soldier Hollow
February 23, 2021 (Tuesday)All Day10/15K FreestyleMidway, UtahRMISA Invitational at Westminster & Soldier Hollow
February 18, 2021 (Thursday)All DaySlalomPark City, UtahRMISA Championships
February 19, 2021 (Friday)All DayGiant SlalomPark City, UtahRMISA Championships
February 26, 2021 (Friday)All Day5/10K ClassicMidway, UtahRMISA Championships
February 27, 2021 (Saturday)All Day15/20K FreestyleMidway, UtahRMISA Championships
March 10, 2021 (Wednesday)All DayGiant SlalomFrancona, N.H.NCAA Championships
March 11, 2021 (Thursday)All Day5/10K ClassicJackson, N.H.NCAA Championships
March 12, 2021 (Friday)All DaySlalomFrancona, N.H.NCAA Championships
March 13, 2021 (Saturday)All Day15/20K FreestyleJackson, N.H.NCAA Championships

Last edited:
Feels great to finally have some Olympic sport action starting up!

Note- Per the article below, as part of Covid-19 protocols, all men's and women's races are being held on separate days this season, as opposed to "normal" seasons when they were held on the same day. Edit- This looks to also mean that each ski group is only competing once in each Invitational rather than twice as in normal years. (For Alpine, it will it be slalom OR giant slalom this season in each Invitational until the Championships season begins. For Nordic, it will be freestyle OR classic.)

Preview of the giant slalom races being held tomorrow (women's) and Monday (men's) in Aspen as part of the DU Invitational, then slalom races held as part of the Buffs' own Spencer James Nelson Memorial Invitational in Eldora Tuesday and Wendesday. -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2021/1/8/s...fs-ready-for-a-good-albeit-abnormal-2021.aspx

"
BOULDER—The Colorado Buffaloes ski team will get its season underway later this week with alpine teams taking part in two meets from Sunday to Tuesday in Aspen and at Eldora.

And while the Buffs will be a little short-handed on the women's side for the opening set of races, coach Richard Rokos is nonetheless encouraged about his alpine teams in his final season as head coach of the Buffaloes.

"We've actually been able to train on snow a lot more than normal, maybe even double," Rokos said. "Everybody stayed over the break and we got in a lot of really good work."

One thing Rokos has done for 2021 is added depth to both teams. Each team will feature eight skiers competing for the Buffs in 2021 with the addition of Cassidy Gray to the women's alpine roster (more on her below).

One this is for certain, nothing will be normal about the 2021 collegiate ski season. But at the end of the day, competition is happening and the Buffs look to be in a good position to take advantage.

Teams will open the season with four straight days of racing with GS races happening in Aspen at the DU Invitational Sunday-Monday, Jan. 10-11, and slalom races at Eldora as part of CU's Spencer James Nelson Memorial Invitational on Tuesday-Wednesday, Jan. 12-13. Only one gender will compete each day and will compete in two separate races each day. Nordic teams get their respective seasons' underway on Jan. 17 at an RMISA Invitational in Utah. The Buffs will host Nordic action Feb. 5-6 in Aspen to close out its home meet.
"

Last edited:
With the top skiers having completed their 2nd runs, the top 3 Buffs (which I believe is what matters for team scoring purposes) are showing in 2nd, 8th and 14th in the 1st of 2 competitions today in the men's giant slalom.

Link to the timings for the 2nd set of races (looks like the 1st run is scheduled to start at 12:15) - https://www.live-timing.com/race2.php?r=212956

Article after today's races-

"
ASPEN, Colo. – Junior Filip Forejtek earned two podium appearances as the Colorado Buffaloes Ski Team moved up one spot into fourth place after at the 2021 Denver Invitational here Monday at Aspen Highlands as the alpine events come to a close for the meet.

Forejtek picked up in 2021 where he left off in 2020, taking second place in the first GS race of the day and then finishing third in the other GS race in the afternoon. Forejtek closed out 2020 with three straight podium appearances in the postseason at the RMISA and NCAA Championships and now has five straight podium appearances.

"Two podiums for Filip and the rest of the guys are in pretty close distance to the top of the field," CU Coach Richard Rokos said. "It was a good confidence builder, it's good to see it go that way."

The Buffs finished second in the team standings in both race, picking up 82 points in the first race and 76 in the second to finish with 270 points. CU sits 89 points behind Westminster (359), but just 37 points behind second-place Utah (307) and 11 points behind Montana State (281) as the middle of the standings tightened from Sunday's women's results. Alaska Anchorage is fifth with 195 points while Colorado Mountain College (121) and host Denver (71) close out the team standings.

UP NEXT: Teams will now travel from Aspen Highlands Resort to Eldora Mountain Resort near Boulder to kick off CU's Spencer James Nelson Memorial Invitational on Tuesday and Wednesday. The women will compete in two slalom races on Tuesday, followed by the men on Wednesday. The DU Invitational will conclude with Nordic action Jan. 22-23 at Maloit Park near Vail while the CU Invitational will conclude Feb. 5-6 with Nordic action back in Aspen. But first, Nordic teams will begin another meet on Jan. 17-18 at Soldier Hollow in Utah.

TEAM STANDINGS (Thru 4 of 8 events): 1. Westminster 359; 2. Utah 307; 3. Montana State 281; 4. Colorado 270; 5. Alaska Anchorage 195; 6. Colorado Mountain 121; 7. Denver 71.
"

The women's alpine skiers are back in action today at Eldora at their (CU hosted) Spencer James Nelson Memorial Invitational, and one of two slalom competitions is already over. Per https://www.live-timing.com/race2.php?r=213011 , looks like it was a tough race overall for the short-handed*** Buffs, as the top 3 CU scorers only finished in 15th, 19th and 20th. (***For those who didn't catch it one of the previews above, only 4 of the rostered 8 women's alpine skiers are healthy enough this week to compete.)

Link to the results for the upcoming 2nd slalom competition (per the link, the 1st run is scheduled to begin in a few minutes (11:15) - https://www.live-timing.com/race2.php?r=213067

Regarding yesterday's action -

"
NEDERLAND, Colo. – Junior Kaitlyn Harsch and senior Isabelle Fidjeland both secured the best finishes of their career, but the Colorado Buffaloes ski team opened up in fifth place at its own Spencer James Nelson Memorial Invitational Tuesday here at Eldora Mountain Resort.

The Buffs are still short-handed with only four of eight skiers participating Tuesday and it showed in the team standings, with the Buffs sitting in fifth place. Similar to the standings after two GS races Sunday as part of the Denver Invitational, Westminster is leading the meet after the first day with 181 points, followed by Utah (165), Montana State (139) and Alaska Anchorage (128.5) ahead of the Buffs total of 126.5. Colorado Mountain scored 89 points while Denver, with just one skier that didn't finish either race, did not score.

UP NEXT: The men will now take center stage at Eldora on Wednesday with two slalom races to close out the alpine portion of the CU Invitational. After that, Nordic teams will then get the 2021 season underway with three meets in three weeks, starting Sunday at Soldier Hollow in Utah for an RMISA Invitational. Nordic teams will then close out the DU Invitational Jan. 22-23 at Maloit Park and the CU Invitational Feb. 5-6 in Aspen.

TEAM STANDINGS (Thru 2 of 8 events): 1. Westminster 181; 2. Utah 165; 3. Montana State 139; 4. Alaska Anchorage 128.5; 5. Colorado 126.5; 6. Colorado Mountain 89; 7. Denver 0.
"

Looks like the men didn't have as good a performance as they did a couple days ago in the 1st competition of the day. with the top 3 only 7th, 13th and 20th. (Link to timings in the below tweet. Looks like their top 2 rated skiers early in the year both DNF'd their 2nd runs today.)

Link to live timings for the 2nd competition, with the 1st run already completed - https://www.live-timing.com/race2.php?r=213132

I'm beginning to hold the opinion that our ski team is significantly degraded from being legit national title contenders annually, and no one really cares since the sport may die in the next several years due to costs.

I'm beginning to hold the opinion that our ski team is significantly degraded from being legit national title contenders annually, and no one really cares since the sport may die in the next several years due to costs.

I have NO contact with the program, and haven't skied myself in ~30 years (and I was a bunny sloper then) so this probably isn't worth much, but I would say:
  • In the last 5 completed NCAA Championships from 2015-2019 (last year's was cancelled mid-way through), the Buffs have finished 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd and 3rd, so no major degradation I can discern from that.
  • I don't read much off this season's results so far given the always razor-thin margin between "the thrill of victory and agony of defeat" in Alpine skiing, along with the women's injury issues.
  • Thankfully, the injuries to the women's team sound like they may be relatively minor, as all 4 who haven't competed yet should/ could be back by February. (In https://cubuffs.com/news/2021/1/10/skiing-buffs-open-2021-season-in-fifth-at-du-invitational.aspx, it says " By February when Stef Fleckenstein is expected to return to action and newcomers Cassidy Gray and Katie Fleckenstein expected to debut, along with Olivia Gerrard also returning, the Buffs could be the deepest women's alpine team in the nation." Junior Stef is easily the top returning Buff based on last season's results, so should be in contention for good to great finishes in any races she completes, while I believe both her younger sister Katie and Ms. Gray are highly rated incoming freshmen.) Note- It's possible Cassidy Gray isn't even injured, as she's just starting at CU this semester. So, I could guess they may also have decided to just let her settle in before competing, and/ or she maybe (???) had to go through some Covid-19 protocols that kept her from racing this past week.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

Also, just wanted to give big congrats to junior Filip Forejtek, who after 2 podium finishes in Monday's giant slaloms, earned the WIN today in the 2nd slalom competition! (He DNF'd in the 2nd run of today's 1st competition after standing 4th after the 1st run.)

I have NO contact with the program, and haven't skied myself in ~30 years (and I was a bunny sloper then) so this probably isn't worth much, but I would say:
  • In the last 5 completed NCAA Championships from 2015-2019 (last year's was cancelled mid-way through), the Buffs have finished 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd and 3rd, so no major degradation I can discern from that.
  • I don't read much off this season's results so far given the always razor-thin margin between "the thrill of victory and agony of defeat" in Alpine skiing, along with the women's injury issues.
  • Thankfully, the injuries to the women's team sound like they may be relatively minor, as all 4 who haven't competed yet should/ could be back by February. (In https://cubuffs.com/news/2021/1/10/skiing-buffs-open-2021-season-in-fifth-at-du-invitational.aspx, it says " By February when Stef Fleckenstein is expected to return to action and newcomers Cassidy Gray and Katie Fleckenstein expected to debut, along with Olivia Gerrard also returning, the Buffs could be the deepest women's alpine team in the nation." Junior Stef is easily the top returning Buff based on last season's results, so should be in contention for good to great finishes in any races she completes, while I believe both her younger sister Katie and Ms. Gray are highly rated incoming freshmen.) Note- It's possible Cassidy Gray isn't even injured, as she's just starting at CU this semester. So, I could guess they may also have decided to just let her settle in before competing, and/ or she maybe (???) had to go through some Covid-19 protocols that kept her from racing this past week.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

Also, just wanted to give big congrats to junior Filip Forejtek, who after 2 podium finishes in Monday's giant slaloms, earned the WIN today in the 2nd slalom competition! (He DNF'd in the 2nd run of today's 1st competition after standing 4th after the 1st run.)

I would LOVE to be wrong as a casual observer and see them win the Natty this year.

After the Alpine part of the team started its season with action in a couple invitationals this past week, it's time for the Nordic crew to start its season starting tomorrow. Tomorrow's races are shorter (5K for women/10K for men) freestyle races, while Monday will feature longer (15K/20K) classic action. Both day's competions are scheduled to be at the Soldier Hollow Nordic Center in Midvale, UT, and is part of their RMISA Invitational hosted by the Utes.

Note- One difference this season due to the pandemic (per the Ute preview I read) is that all Nordic starts will be interval starts. (If I remember correctly, typically one race is usually a mass start.)

Go Buffs!!!

Preview-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2021/1/16/...quad-ready-to-get-season-underway-sunday.aspx

"
The Buffs Nordic season gets underway Sunday at Soldier Hollow in Utah, part of the RMSIA Invitational in Utah. There will be no rest for the weary early in the season as the first three meets take place in three weeks. The following week, teams will head to Maloit Park near Vail to finish the DU Invitational and then in early February head to Aspen to close out the CU Invitational.
"

Note - I believe, if I remember correctly, I've found that live timings for Nordic skiing has been (except maybe at the NCAA Championships) hit or miss. Hopefully the following link, which seems to be for these races, will give some helpful results (except maybe at the NCAA Championships) will be active and current starting tomorrow - http://summittiming.net/races/race_results.php

From that link, it looks like there some sprint qualifiers for tomorrow's races, with results at - http://summittiming.net/race_result...q_1.5_km_classic_sprint_qualifier_210116c.pdf

Last edited:

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2021/1/17/skiing-boee-wins-freestyle-race-as-buffs-third-at-rmisa-meet.aspx

"
MIDWAY, Utah – Sophomore Magnus Boee opened his season in style, winning the 10K freestyle race and helping the Colorado Buffaloes ski team to third place here at Soldier Hollow Sunday to open the RMISA Invitational at Utah.

Boee won his fourth career race and second career freestyle race. The interval start race was relatively close with Boee winning by 6.7 seconds with a time of 21:24.3. There was then just 5.7 seconds separating second through fourth places behind Boee.

The men's team scored 77 points and the women's 76 to total 153 on the day and sit in third place. The men finished second behind Alaska Anchorage and the women third behind Utah and UAA. Utah scored the podium sweep in the women's race and leads the meet with 186 points with the Seawolves sitting second at 170 points. Behind the Buffs are Montana State (126), Alaska Fairbanks (107) and Denver (100).

WHAT IT MEANS: Boee put his mark down as one of the top college skiers, getting a win in what last year wasn't his strongest discipline. Koch finished just outside the top 10, a solid result in his first collegiate action and Jackson should improve on his 20th place finish as the season progresses and he gets into shape after recovering from an off-season injury. Dietze also picked up where she left off near the top of the field and Kaleta and Smith in the lead back is a good sign for the Buffs, but if the Buffs want to compete with the Utes, which had the top four finishers and six in the top 10, all of the Buffs will need to ski their best every race to compete with the depth of the Utes.

UP NEXT: The RMISA Invitational at Utah will conclude Monday with the 15K women's and 20K men's classic races, with the women's scheduled to start a 9 a.m. and the men at 11 a.m. The Nordic teams will then conclude the DU Invitational at Maloit Park next weekend and conclude the CU Invitational Feb. 5-6 in Aspen before the alpine teams compete again.

TEAM STANDINGS (Thru 2 of 8 events): 1. Utah 186; 2. Alaska Anchorage 170; 3. Colorado 153; 4. Montana State 126; 5. Alaska Fairbanks 107; 6. Denver 100.
"

The Nordic group starts 2 days of racing this morning in or around Minturn, Colorado.

Looks like today was probably the most successful of the young season for the team. Congrats to them- and hope they keep it up tomorrow!

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2021/1/22/skiing-buffs-move-up-to-second-at-du-invitational.aspx

"
MINTURN, Colo. – Sophomore Magnus Boee won his second freestyle race in two tries to open the 2021 season and freshman Oyvind Haugan earned a podium in his first collegiate race, propelling the Colorado Buffaloes Ski Team into second place at the Denver Invitational here at Maloit Park Friday.

Boee and Haugan were joined by freshman Will Koch in eighth place and not to be outdone, the CU women's team also placed three in the top 10 with sophomore Anna-Maria Dietze taking fourth, matching her career-best freestyle finish, followed by junior Ezra Smith in sixth and freshman Weronika Kaleta in ninth.

CU won the men's race with 97 points, eight ahead of Utah and 28 more than Montana State to pass the Bobcats in the team standings. The Buffs then scored 81 points in the women's race, good for third, but the combined 178 points was the second most in the field behind Utah's combined 183. In the team standings, Utah leads with 490 points with CU 42 points back with 448, but then 40.5 ahead of third place Montana State (407.5). Westminster (359), Alaska Anchorage (346.5), Denver (190) and Colorado Mountain College (121) round out the team scoring.

UP NEXT: The Denver Invitational will be the first meet to finish in the 2021 season on Saturday with the 7.5K women's and 10K men's classic races here at Maloit Park. Three meets are concurrently happening, which is believed to be a first in RMISA history. After Saturday, the Nordic teams will have a week off before closing out the Spencer James Nelson CU Memorial Invitational in Aspen on Feb. 5-6.

TEAM STANDINGS (Thru 6 of 8 events): 1. Utah 490; 2. Colorado 448; 3. Montana STate 407.5; 4. Westminster 359; 5. Alaska Anchorage 346.5; 6. Denver 190; 7. Colorado Mountain 121.
"

A 2nd win for Mr. Boee, and a 2nd place finish overall.

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2021/1/23/skiing-boee-sweeps-as-buffs-finish-second-at-du-invitational.aspx

"
Sophomore's Win Is Third In Four Races To Open Season

MINTURN, Colo. – Sophomore Magnus Boee earned a meet sweep by winning the men's 10K classic race as the Colorado Buffaloes Ski Team finished second here Saturday at Maloit Park to close out the Denver Invitational.

Boee's win is his third of the season and first in classic action. It's his sixth career win, three of which have come in classic races. He has never lost a race at Maloit Park, having now swept the races for the second straight season for the DU meet. Boee continues the Buffs dominance at Maloit Park as the Buffs have now won 11 of 14 men's Nordic races at the venue since it became DU's home in 2013.

The men's team again put three skiers in the top eight with freshman Oyvind Haugan finishing sixth and freshman Will Koch eighth. The women's team finished in succession with junior Ezra Smith leading the squad in ninth followed by freshman Weronika Kaleta in 10th and sophomore Anna-Maria Dietze in 11th. Those six skiers racked up 160 points to finish with 608 points in the meet.

Utah won both races Saturday, topping the men's team by a single point (91-90) and scoring 102 in the women's race to finish with 683 points, 75 ahead of the Buffs. Behind CU was Montana State (538.5), Alaska Anchorage (503.5), Westminster (359), host Denver (307) and Colorado Mountain College (121). After opening in fifth with a short-handed alpine squad, the Buffs moved their way up the field to finish second in the first complete meet of the season.

UP NEXT: After two meets in the last seven days, the teams will now have a week off before resuming CU's own Spencer James Nelson Memorial Invitational in Aspen on Feb. 5-6. Teams will compete in freestyle sprint races on Friday, Feb. 5, before finishing off the meet Saturday, Feb. 6 with classic races. CU currently sits fourth in that meet as the Buffs, Utah and Montana State are all within 31 points of each other behind Westminster, which does not field a Nordic team.

TEAM STANDINGS (FINAL): 1. Utah, 683; 2. Colorado 608; 3. Montana State 538.5; 4. Alaska Anchorage 503.5; 5. Westminster 359; 6. Denver 307; 7. Colorado Mountain 121.
"

Article after today's action-

"
ASPEN, Colo. – Sophomore Magnus Boee won and freshman Weronika Kaleta was third as the Colorado Buffaloes Ski Team moved up from fourth to second after freestyle sprint races Friday here at Aspen High School in CU's own Spencer James Nelson Memorial Invitational.

The races, which double as the Raole Wille Memorial in the Aspen area, are the only sprint races of the season. Boee picked up his third straight victory and fourth in five races this season. Kaleta picked up her third podium appearance and was an unfortunate fall away from potentially picking up her first college win.

CU had five skiers in each race and all five finished in the top 12 in both races, enabling the Buffs to surge from fourth to second with one day of racing remaining in CU's Invitational. The Buffs scored 93 points in the men's race and 90 points in the women's race for 183 on the day, second to Utah's total of 204. Utah moved from third to first in the meet standings with 505.5 points, 51.5 ahead of CU's total of 454. Behind the Buffs are Montana State (435), Westminster (362), Alaska Anchorage (242.5), Colorado Mountain (174) and Denver (153).

Behind Boee in the men's race, Oyvind Haugan was fourth with Wyatt Gebhardt (ninth), Tyler Terranova (11th) and Ryan Jackson (12th) finishing in succession. On the women's side, Anna-Maria Dietze finished fifth, Ezra Smith sixth, Ivy Eski 11th and Quinn Lehmkuhl 12th.

WHAT IT MEANS: Similar to the DU Invitational, the Buffs had a solid day of freestyle action and moved up two spots in the team standings to get back into the running for a meet title. Sprint races are different from distance races, and this is the only sprint race of the season, but the Buffs can take confidence from a solid day with all 10 Buffs finishing in the top 12.

UP NEXT: The four RMISA teams competing in the Nordic races will conclude the CU Invitational Saturday with the women's 5K and men's 10K classic races at Aspen High School and conclude the third meet in the last 15 days for the Nordic teams. Action will pick back up early next week with alpine teams competing in three meets in Utah over the span of 12 days from Feb. 8-19, concluding the regular season and the RMISA Championships. Nordic teams will have a break of a little more than two weeks and pick back up with a Utah swing concluding the regular season and competing in the RMISA Championships Feb. 22-27.
"

Buffs ended up 2nd at their Invitational after Saturday's solid day.

Review of the action-

"
ASPEN, Colo. – Sophomore Magnus Boee won his fourth straight race, leading the Colorado Buffaloes Ski Team to a second place finish at the conclusion of its own Spencer James Nelson Memorial Invitational here Saturday at Aspen High School.

In addition to Boee's win, the men's team had three of the top five with in the 10K classic race with senior Ryan Jackson in fourth and freshman Oyvind Haugan in fifth, and the women's team had three in the top 10 of the women's 5K classic race with Ezra Smith leading the way in sixth, sophomore Anna-Maria Dietze seventh and freshman Weronika Kaleta ninth.

The Buffs won the men's race with an even 100 points, topping Utah by eight points to earn the most men's Nordic points for the second straight meet. The Utah women did sweep the women's podium as Julia Richter won for the second straight day, picking up 111 points to the Buffs total of 75. The final steam standings have Utah winning with 708.5 points with Colorado taking second with 629. Montana State finished third with 577 points, followed by Westminster (362), Denver (289), Alaska Anchorage (242.5) and Colorado Mountain (174).

Boee's four straight wins are the most consecutive wins since Mads Stroem won six straight in the 2015 season, and he now has five wins on the season, most since Stroem won eight in that same season.

UP NEXT: Action will shift back to alpine, which hasn't been in action in almost a month since the CU and DU Invitational took place Jan. 9-12. The alpine teams will be competing in Utah the majority of February with three meets in the span of 12 days between Feb. 8-19. After the alpine action is concluded, the Nordic teams will head to Utah for two meets from Feb. 22-27 to close out the regular season and RMISA Championships.

TEAM STANDINGS (FINAL): 1. Utah, 708.5; 2. Colorado 629; 3. Montana State 577; 4. Westminster 362; 5. Denver 289; 6. Alaska Anchorage 242.5; 7. Colorado Mountain 174.

"
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Also, as noted in the article I quoted above, the racing now switches now to the Alpine skiing side of things for the next 2 weeks or so, with that group in action in Utah for 3 different Invitationals.

Today, they're at Snowbird, Utah to start off competition at another Invitational, this one the "RMISA Invitational at Westminster & Soldier Hollow", with the slalom on tap.

Looks like the 1st women's competition are scheduled for 9:00 and 10:30 this morning, with live timings looking to be available at https://www.live-timing.com/race2.php?r=218901
(I can't see the link yet for any 2nd woman's or the men slalom's yet, but assume there must be some other racing today. EDIT - From a race program, looks like there's a 2nd women's slalom scheduled to start at noon, with the 2nd run starting at 1:30.)

From the start list, it's looking like the bulk of the women's team is now healthy! (See my post #12 for more on the 4 team members that missed the beginning of the season. 1 of the 4 (freshman Katie Fleckenstein) is still not in the starting list today, but the other 3 are.) The negative from the start list is the Buffs may have to deal with some rough snow, as the BEST starting/ bib # for any CU skier is #13.

Looks like one cool thing about these races- they're supposed to be available to watch on Youtube! (Our 1st video coverage for any races this year!)

Link to the stream -

Last edited:
Looks like CU did a great job in the 1st women's slalom competition (amazing how having more healthy athletes helps results!), with the top 3 Buffs finishing in 5th, 12th and 15th, and all of them easily "beating" their bib #'s of, respectively, 18, 28 and 40. (Re the finishes- I'm not sure, but I'm thinking some of the top finishers may be parts of club (as opposed to collegiate) teams, so won't count for the team scoring. Therefore, for example, I'm thinking the Buff's 15th place finisher may count for around a 10th place finish for collegiate scoring purposes.)

The live timing for the 2nd women's slalom competition of the day (scheduled for a noon start) should be available at https://www.live-timing.com/race2.php?r=219327. Unfortunately, looks like the same bib #'s are being used in this afternoon's competition as this morning's, so the Buffs will once more have that extra challenge. (Based on the way bib #'s are typically assigned, I'd hope the good results in the 1st competition, along with hopefully positive one's this afternoon, will slowly help the bib #'s go lower in future races.)

Assume the Youtube video in the prior post may (???) also work for this afternoon's runs.

Last edited:
One correction to what I wrote a couple posts ago- looks like they aren't using bib #'s to equate to start orders in this 2nd competition.

Last edited:
A little weaker finish to the 2nd women's slalom competition, but still solid, as the top 3 Buffs finish 10th, 15th and 18th overall. (GUESSING that after backing out non-collegiate finishers, that may work out to around 7th, 10th and 12th.)

I expect Utah, DU and possibly Montana State will finish somewhat above the Buffs, just for this afternoon's races, with the Utes taking the points win into tomorrow's action.

Article after today's racing-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2021/2/8/skiing-fleckenstein-leads-buffs-into-third-at-rmisa-meet.aspx

"
SNOWBIRD, Utah – Junior Stef Fleckenstein had a pair of top seven finishes to lead the Colorado Buffaloes women's alpine ski team into third place in the RMISA Invitational at Westminster/SoHo after two slalom races here at Snowbird Ski Resort Monday.

Fleckenstein, skiing for the first time in a college race in 2021, finished fourth in the morning race and seventh in the afternoon race. She was joined in the top 10 by sophomore Emma Hammergaard, who was eighth in the morning race and 10th in the afternoon race, while freshman Cassidy Gray made her collegiate debut with a 10th place finish in the morning race and took 12th in the afternoon.

On the day, the Buffs total of 141 points is 22 behind Utah's total of 163 while Denver (157) sits second. The top five teams are all within 35.5 points as Montana State (140) and Westminster (127.5) are just behind Colorado with Alaska Anchorage (97.5) and Colorado Mountain College (72) closing out the scoring.

WHAT IT MEANS: While approaching the midpoint of the season, the Buffs showed improvement on Monday over early season results in January mainly due to the fact that Fleckenstein returned from injury and Gray competed in a college race for the first time. The Buffs were fifth in women's alpine in the first two meets of the year, and improving to third with still room for more improvement is a great sign. Fleckenstein, who was one of the top slalom skiers in the nation last year, had to start further back in the field due to missing the first two races of the season due to injury. She did enough to secure at least a top 15 starting position at the RMISA Championships. The women's team on the whole is likely to be stronger in GS than slalom this season, so Thursday's races at Park City should be exciting.

UP NEXT: Racing continues here at Snowbird Tuesday with two men's slalom races to close out action in the RMISA Invitational at WMC/SoHo and skiers will then train Wednesday before competing again on Thursday and Friday with giant slalom races at Park City to close out the RMISA Invitational at Utah. Alpine teams will remain in Utah to then compete in the RMISA Championships the following Thursday and Friday, Feb. 18-19, again at Park City.

TEAM STANDINGS (Through 2 of 8 Races): 1. Utah, 163; 2. Denver 157; 3. Colorado 141; 4. Montana State 140; 5. Westminster 127.5; 6. Alaska Anchorage 97.5; 7. Colorado Mountain 72.
"

Back