What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

So Boyle's our guy

Let's let this one play out and see what we get. Boyle has proven he can win. He hasn't won at the BigXII level but frankly neither have either of the other two candidates. I wanted Dunlap, his past experience as a winner at D2, an NBA assistant, and as the lead assistant for some winning major conference programs appeal to me. The question for me is how much did he want this job. He is a great character guy but at the same time kind of flaky.

I know that a lot of people wanted McClain and I would not have been upset with him either. My question on him is once he had Wyoming going, why did it seem to fall off enough that he ended up losing his job and if he is that great a candidate why hasn't he gotten a shot someplace else?

Boyle has no experience coaching at this level but he did play for a winner at this level and coached under some top guys, he knows what it takes. He also as has been stated by others here took a program that was dead in a backwater and turned it into a winner.

Recruiting is the lifeblood of any program but recruits don't mean much if you don't do anything with them (Mr. Patton, Mr. Ricardo Patton please pick up the white courtesy phone.) On the other hand recruits listen to winners. A lot of coaches with lousy personalities representing schools that didn't have much to offer have reeled in big recruits with one simple line "Come to my school and win." Boyle of the three has in my mind the highest risk but also far and away the highest potential to be a big winner. CU can't afford any more mediocre, maybe we'll make the tourney every couple of years coaches.

I like the hire.
A very reasonable post. I think there are valid reasons to suspect that Dunlap's personality may not translate to successful recruiting on the big stage. Seriously, what did the other two candidates have over Boyle?

A very reasonable post. I think there are valid reasons to suspect that Dunlap's personality may not translate to successful recruiting on the big stage. Seriously, what did the other two candidates have over Boyle?

That's a good question too. And it brings up a larger point that I was asking 3 years ago, and again over the last couple weeks. Why do we limit our search to guys in state? Is Colorado some vortex of basketball knowledge that none of us are aware of?

Didn't I read on this board that we produced a whopping 3 Div 1 prospects last year? If your recruiting efforts have to be nationwide, shouldn't your coaching search be nationwide too?

I think I figured it out! Mike Bohn is afraid of flying!

That has to be the answer. Otherwise we'd actually send him out there to speak with people about this hire. At over $3 million per year (MBB budget), a 4-5 year contract ... this is at least a $15 million decision, right?

Sheesh.

As I had been saying, I would have been pleased with any of the 3 finalists.

I completely understand why Bohn went with Boyle. Dunlap had the Pac-10 ties and solid lower division record as a HC, but had the drawback of being an old school disciplinarian, which could have backfired with keeping the current group of guys. McClain is well-liked, has had success, and has been a huge part of the rebuilding effort at CU (including the current year's recruiting), but he's not exactly a hot coaching candidate at the moment with Hawaii the only program that came calling and he didn't get the job.

Boyle's a fast-rising candidate, he'll probably never leave Colorado, he's been great at being realistic in recruiting and finding the right guys for Wichita State and Northern Colorado, he's shown he knows how to build a program, as an ex-player he relates well as a player's coach (which Chauncey and others said was essential), and he's got a close relationship with Mike Bohn so they should work well together. It's simply a good fit. I expect that he'll be very successful at CU.

I assume Boyle is the type of guy who sets goals and kind of a plan for his career. Do you think he had a goal of eventually becomeing the head coach at CU? Could that be what he was thinking when he took the job at UNC?

Do you think Dunlap hurt his chances by having pulled his name out of the hat during the last coaching search?

I think people questioning the hire are probably doing so based on MB's track record more so than assuming Boyle will be a flop. I hope he's wildly successful. But lately CU seems to pretty much always hire the DII or mid-major overachiever, none of whom have had real success yet, it is hard to get excited.....

That's a good question too. And it brings up a larger point that I was asking 3 years ago, and again over the last couple weeks. Why do we limit our search to guys in state? Is Colorado some vortex of basketball knowledge that none of us are aware of?

Didn't I read on this board that we produced a whopping 3 Div 1 prospects last year? If your recruiting efforts have to be nationwide, shouldn't your coaching search be nationwide too?

I think I figured it out! Mike Bohn is afraid of flying!

That has to be the answer. Otherwise we'd actually send him out there to speak with people about this hire. At over $3 million per year (MBB budget), a 4-5 year contract ... this is at least a $15 million decision, right?

Sheesh.
This is a legitimate concern. I can't for the life of me figure out why our top 3 candidates had strong Colorado ties. Is it coincidence? Or was it a prerequisite? If so, why? It's not like Colorado is a basketball hot bed. At the same time, this is a job that has little national appeal, if any. Of the candidates that would consider taking this job, maybe the better candidates were local guys because they like Colorado and want to work here.

It's done and we got to get on board. Like Liver said, I have no basis to criticize Boyle. I have never even seen him interviewed. We'll just have to wait and see. Others may disagree, but I think that Bz was a good hire. When you have the Wake's of the world come and poach your coach, how can you say it was a bad hire? It was bad luck that a job opened up where Bz had a history with the AD. Bohn failed miserably with Hawk, Bz was a good hire, so I'll give Bohn some deference on this one.

Though I'm not very happy about this, I'm trying to make lemonade. For those who think recruiting is the be-all, end-all... be careful. We are never going to out-muscle the KU's, UT's and OU's of the world when it comes to basketball recruits. However, what we can do is build a solid program based on fundamentals, one in which we can plug decent 3 to 4-star recruits into like a well-oiled machine. There are many examples of programs that have been very successful largely because of coaching, not recruiting. A few that come to mind are Wisconsin, Missouri, Xavier, Butler, New Mexico, Vanderbilt...

Boyle is impressive and Larry Brown recommending him means a lot.. Still, I think we could have at least went for someone like Bennett.. I don't know, I'm just puzzled how Bohn does coaching searches..

We'll see what happens. I will give him a chance.

Boyle is impressive and Larry Brown recommending him means a lot.. Still, I think we could have at least went for someone like Bennett.. I don't know, I'm just puzzled how Bohn does coaching searches..

At least in this case, it seems he just chose between the guys who asked for the job. It seems like the more assertive searches involve the AD seeking out guys.

I like the hire. Out of the 3 choices (really wish there had been more candidates seriously considered), Boyle is the guy I wanted them to pick.

Though I'm not very happy about this, I'm trying to make lemonade. For those who think recruiting is the be-all, end-all... be careful. We are never going to out-muscle the KU's, UT's and OU's of the world when it comes to basketball recruits. However, what we can do is build a solid program based on fundamentals, one in which we can plug decent 3 to 4-star recruits into like a well-oiled machine. There are many examples of programs that have been very successful largely because of coaching, not recruiting. A few that come to mind are Wisconsin, Missouri, Xavier, Butler, New Mexico, Vanderbilt...
I was thinking about this based on another post. Boyle was in the business world and then quit and came to coaching. That sounds similar to the Butler guy. Do you think CU is trying to re-create the Butler magic?

This is a legitimate concern. I can't for the life of me figure out why our top 3 candidates had strong Colorado ties. Is it coincidence? Or was it a prerequisite? If so, why? It's not like Colorado is a basketball hot bed. At the same time, this is a job that has little national appeal, if any. Of the candidates that would consider taking this job, maybe the better candidates were local guys because they like Colorado and want to work here.

It's done and we got to get on board. Like Liver said, I have no basis to criticize Boyle. I have never even seen him interviewed. We'll just have to wait and see. Others may disagree, but I think that Bz was a good hire. When you have the Wake's of the world come and poach your coach, how can you say it was a bad hire? It was bad luck that a job opened up where Bz had a history with the AD. Bohn failed miserably with Hawk, Bz was a good hire, so I'll give Bohn some deference on this one.

It is really simple, it is because Bohn gets all his input from the local press corp. So when a job is open he gets his input from Neill Woelk, Terry Frei, etc. Do you think Wake Forest or Oregon is looking at Tad Boyle? I will admit at my age I cannot wait to see CU go through more rebuilding. I don't like the hire and I don't like the high risk situation that CU is in right now with their coaching hires.

It is really simple, it is because Bohn gets all his input from the local press corp. So when a job is open he gets his input from Neill Woelk, Terry Frei, etc. Do you think Wake Forest or Oregon is looking at Tad Boyle? I will admit at my age I cannot wait to see CU go through more rebuilding. I don't like the hire and I don't like the high risk situation that CU is in right now with their coaching hires.

That's an inherent risk with any school making a hire. Look at Rich Rodriguez at Michigan. Who would have thought that would have turned out to be such a bad hire for them? Conversely, Pete Carroll was a middle of the road NFL journeyman coach when USC hired him. Was Mike Krezewsekisi a can't miss home run hire?

I guess my point is that any time there's a coaching hire, it's a high risk situation. When we fire Hawkins, whoever replaces him will be a high risk choice. The risk comes from the potential for failure, and what that would mean to the finances of the athletic department.

That's an inherent risk with any school making a hire. Look at Rich Rodriguez at Michigan. Who would have thought that would have turned out to be such a bad hire for them? Conversely, Pete Carroll was a middle of the road NFL journeyman coach when USC hired him. Was Mike Krezewsekisi a can't miss home run hire?

I guess my point is that any time there's a coaching hire, it's a high risk situation. When we fire Hawkins, whoever replaces him will be a high risk choice. The risk comes from the potential for failure, and what that would mean to the finances of the athletic department.

I will disagree with you - every hire is risky but not all hires are a high risk. Look at Nick Saban at Alabama or Urban Meyer at Florida, they had enough success that future success was likely. By the way I know several people who thought the RR hire at Michigan was a bad fit. CU is a tough place to coach BB, as much as people like to rag on Ricardo Patton he had more success than any coach at CU in the last 40 years and that was because he was a decent recruiter and okay as a game day coach. We saw that Hawkins was in over his head at the Big 12 level, I am fearful that once again we are providing too much OTJ training to someone like Boyle but in basketball the margin for error is much less because CU has not had success in BB which makes recruiting harder.

Do you think Wake Forest or Oregon is looking at Tad Boyle?
No. But we are not Oregon, and we certainly are not Wake Forest. And if you think we are close to Oregon, compare the contract that they give their coach to the one that we give ours.

Truth of the matter is that we need to hit the McDermotts of the world before they even get to Northern Iowa. Because once they are at N. Iowa, they are not coming to CU. Just because we are in the Big 12, that does not make CU a better job than a mid major. People need to get over it. It sucks to admit, but it is the truth.

Discussions about Saban, Meyer, Alabama, Florida, Wake Forest and Oregon are irrelevant to the current situation at CU.

I am fearful that once again we are providing too much OTJ training to someone like Boyle but in basketball the margin for error is much less because CU has not had success in BB which makes recruiting harder.
We are not in a position to pay for other schools to train our coaches.

Oh, how the chickens come home to roost (whatever the **** that means).

Thank God I never commit to any opinion on Allbuffs. Just sprinkle in some seemingly random, unrelated comments, and I'm safe when threads get resurrected.

Concerns about Tad and the scope of the coaching search were valid. Tad just made all the haters look like idots.

I see a lot of reasonable posts in this thread. I think people were using valid arguments to question the hire.

Back