What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

So do we have a consensus on MacIntyre's nickname?

I think he is saying a bit more than that in light of the coach formerly known as coach mac's failure to mention CU in his acceptance speech at the HOF event.

The older "Coach Mac" boyd is mentioning is Bo Schembechler's former defensive coordinator Bill McCartney, who has a home near Boulder as well as several family members who also live in greater Boulder County. This is not to be confused with "Coach Mac," which refers to CU head football coach Mike MacIntyre.

Such haters. Coach McCartney gave you all something that can't be replaced. Football godlyness. And he was slapped in the face for doing it numerous times, while he was still here, and after he left. He postured for a role at CU in the AD the last few years and he was shunned.

He was and is a religious firebrand and Boulder hated him for it. He lets it all hang out there. He had a few meltdowns. He knows he's not truly welcomed on campus after all the up front pretending that he is. Does the winningest coach in Colorado history have a building named after him? A practice field? An office? A desk? A Parking space? A set of dumbells? How would you act towards your former employer?

And you all want to cast him off just because he didnt mention "Colorado" or "CU" in his acceptance speech?

Some of you wouldn't have ever even gone to school here if it wasn't for him. I'm one of those people.

Alrighty then

Last edited:
Such haters. Coach McCartney gave you all something that can't be replaced. Football godlyness. And he was slapped in the face for doing it numerous times, while he was still here, and after he left. He postured for a role at CU in the AD the last few years and he was shunned.

He was and is a religious firebrand and Boulder hated him for it. He lets it all hang out there. He had a few meltdowns. He knows he's not welcomed on campus after the pretenses. How would you act towards your former employer?

And you all want to cast him off just because he didnt mention "Colorado" or "CU" in his acceptance speech?

Some of you wouldn't have ever even gone to school here if it wasn't for him. I'm one of those people.

Alrighty then

We're over that now, silly.

I agree we are passed it now with the new information. However the treatment and attitude about the old Coach Mac is probably not something that will disappear while he is still alive.

Miami makes some good points about the lack of formal acknowledgement of what he did for CU.

I think 95% of ABers had a very favorable to favorable opinion of old Mac before his lobbying to be part of the rebuild and even more after the fiasco when Embree was fired.

This guy you claim we are supposed to adore and admire and worship for what he did for our university 20 years ago, also tried to bring down the university in a very public forum when Bohn, in my opinion, rightly fired his guy, Embree. It was ugly. Going on talk radio and making unfounded accusations of racism against this university.

After that I and many others lost a lot of respect for him. I thought the hatchet was being buried after Bohn left b/c there was a lot of animosity b/w those two. You have to admit, regardless of the context, that it was strange that he never mentioned the university where he actually built his HOF credentials in his HOF speech. I wasn't as offended by it as others, but...

My main point is, I am not sure the CU community has come to grips with the Old Mac's place in our present and future. Noone denies what he did 20+ years ago for CU. The thing is, in light of his behavior in recent years, he tarnished his reputation with the community. And that, in my opinion, was his doing.

And before I get off my soap box, Miami is right that someone who brought his university the only national championship in more than 100 years of the sport (and a Heisman) among many other positives, should have something named after him on campus. BUT, by throwing CU under the bus last year, he may have ruined his chances. Hard to put a statue of a guy on campus after he unfairly made racism claims against the university numerous times in very public forums.

He was and is a religious firebrand and Boulder hated him for it. He lets it all hang out there. He had a few meltdowns. He knows he's not truly welcomed on campus after all the up front pretending that he is. Does the winningest coach in Colorado history have a building named after him? A practice field? An office? A desk? A Parking space? A set of dumbells? How would you act towards your former employer?

Alrighty then
They should probably do something for him, a statue would be nice. He's not getting any younger after all. That said, he did leave CU not too long after signing that "lifetime deal," he could've left an even bigger legacy.

I agree we are passed it now with the new information. However the treatment and attitude about the old Coach Mac is probably not something that will disappear while he is still alive.

Miami makes some good points about the lack of formal acknowledgement of what he did for CU.

I think 95% of ABers had a very favorable to favorable opinion of old Mac before his lobbying to be part of the rebuild and even more after the fiasco when Embree was fired.

This guy you claim we are supposed to adore and admire and worship for what he did for our university 20 years ago, also tried to bring down the university in a very public forum when Bohn, in my opinion, rightly fired his guy, Embree. It was ugly. Going on talk radio and making unfounded accusations of racism against this university.

After that I and many others lost a lot of respect for him. I thought the hatchet was being buried after Bohn left b/c there was a lot of animosity b/w those two. You have to admit, regardless of the context, that it was strange that he never mentioned the university where he actually built his HOF credentials in his HOF speech. I wasn't as offended by it as others, but...

My main point is, I am not sure the CU community has come to grips with the Old Mac's place in our present and future. Noone denies what he did 20+ years ago for CU. The thing is, in light of his behavior in recent years, he tarnished his reputation with the community. And that, in my opinion, was his doing.

And before I get off my soap box, Miami is right that someone who brought his university the only national championship in more than 100 years of the sport (and a Heisman) among many other positives, should have something named after him on campus. BUT, by throwing CU under the bus last year, he may have ruined his chances. Hard to put a statue of a guy on campus after he unfairly made racism claims against the university numerous times in very public forums.
Not to mention some on the left would object. In this social media age and where homophobia is largely shunned, he would've had a much tougher time. The fact, he was winning would've made it tougher to fire him, but there would've been a much bigger backlash. Oh wait did I mention that his daughter got knocked up by not one, but two of his players. He would've been criticized as a hypocrite and for not controlling his own house while preaching "values" to others. Of course, he also had an affair, so he was far from perfect.

How long with the goathumper be tolerated? 2 star mods....

BM never mentioned CU in his CFB HoF speech and given how he handled the Embree firing, it's more about the BM legacy than about CU. Barry Switzer and Tom Osborne never did that to the programs that gave them success.

EDIT: After reading about how the HoF speeches are handled, I take back what I said about BM but I'm not going to ignore how he handled the Embree firing.

Last edited:
A lot of "Macks" coaching the teams I like...

David McWilliams (former UT coach)

John Mackovic (former UT coach)
Mack Brown
Mike MacIntyre
Bill McCartney

And then CSU has…
Jim McElwain

FHCBM = NattyMac
HCMM = Mac

When MacIntyre wins his natty, then he will be NattyMac II.
NattyMac I would then go by 5DMac or PKMac or 1/2NattyMac.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back