What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

so i watched a lot of the boise state game tonight...

Liver

modded mod
Club Member
Junta Member
i've always tried to catch their games, even back when hawkins was there. they are absolutely one of my favorite teams to bet on because they win the games they are supposed to win.

so, tonight, as i was sitting there, watching their offense go, i realized a few things...

it LOOKS like our offense if you squint your eyes a bit. but, the difference is in execution and playcalling.

in terms of execution, they should look better because they are the class of their conference going against a very weak team. their athletes relative to their opponents are usually better. we aren't in that position yet. recruiting, hopefully, will fix that. the other piece of execution that stood out to me was the fact that all their guys on offense seemed to know where to be and when. when they ran the no-huddle, they still had time to substitute and audible and everything else. our guys don't look like that.

in terms of playcalling and scheme, whomever is calling their plays (i don't know if it is pederson or the oc or what) definitely has a much better feel for the game than our oc. they ran out of the i-formation when they needed to do so. they got the offense in a rhythm. it was a thing of beauty to watch.

so, i guess this is a long-winded way of saying that, like others, i am having doubts about our offensive coordinator. i don't think he "gets it."

i know our guys are young and inexperienced and we've lost a ton of key guys. your execution is bound to fall off when this happens. but, after watching bsu and thinking about the "way they do it" and comparing it to the way we do it, i am not that thrilled with our staff's version of this offense.

if hawk sticks with this guy, i hope he grows into the job damned soon.

as i have said before, it isn't totally fair to judge the staff when the team is in the condition it is in. so, i will try to reserve judgment. but, the contrast between the bsu version and the CU version is pretty striking right now.

i do think CU is going to freaking ROLL the kitties tomorrow in any case!

GO BUFFS!

Here's my problem with Helfrich and the current situation.

First I don't think he's an OC. Not at this level anyways. His offensive schemes look very High Schoolish. There's no flow to the play calling, no tempo to the game, basically no substance. Having said that, it appears we are teaching him how to be an OC and we're getting very little return for our collective buck.

Second, there is no doubt in my mind that if, and that's a big if, he get's it, he'll be gone in a heartbeat back to the Pac 10 or some other pass oriented conference.

So why are we investing in this guy. I don't see any magic miracles he's pulling off with the QB's, which you would think he would have down cold.

We should be further along IMO. Our offense doesn't look all that much better then 2 years ago. I'm perplexed by Hawk's decision with this hire.

Great observations. I agree. With time, and hopefully sooner than later our OC will get it. I may be an optimist, but 09 or 10 we'll finish in the top 10. Go Buffs!

I am not sure what is going on, but didn't he coach under Dick Koettler, not only at ASU, but at BSU too? It seems that one reason Hawk got him is that he had alot of experience with this system. Either he is not good at reading mismatches on the field, or is not good at adapting to fit the personell he has, or both. Or neither one, and I am not aware of other things to be overcome, as I am not a coach.

So far I am pleased with gaines CU has made in recruiting, but not so pleased with how CU has executed. Some of that has to be due to youth and injuries, but it just seems like that can't be the only issue. We see kids not knowing how to lineup all the time, part of me thinks that that is youth, specifically the coaches trying to get the best talent on the field, but the best talent does not neccesarily know the scheme the best.

I am not sure what is going on, but didn't he coach under Dick Koettler, not only at ASU, but at BSU too? It seems that one reason Hawk got him is that he had alot of experience with this system. Either he is not good at reading mismatches on the field, or is not good at adapting to fit the personell he has, or both. Or neither one, and I am not aware of other things to be overcome, as I am not a coach..

When has CU had mismatches?

Not on the offensive line
Not in the wide receivers
Not in the backfield (yet)

At what position can CU exploit the defense?

CU is trying to make this work with a bunch of 2 and 3 star athletes and three failed upperclass recruting classes (2004-2006). Give it time. This season was going to be ugly.

Stop comparing this team to BSU
Stop comparing Hawk to Mac (Mac didn't have to deal with this millenium arms race with one hand tied behind his back)
Going have to commit to this man and team for the long term before we see any results.

CU is trying to make this work with a bunch of 2 and 3 star athletes and three failed upperclass recruting classes (2004-2006). Give it time. This season was going to be ugly.

Stop comparing Hawk to Mac (Mac didn't have to deal with this millenium arms race with one hand tied behind his back)
Going have to commit to this man and team for the long term before we see any results.
Damn That is a Strong First Post Way To Bring It!!!

Sweet post.

Back