What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

So, is today the beginning of the "divorce" from Mac?

This guy is playing the race card? Does not compute:

Bill-McCartney-1.jpg

Attachments

• bill meme1.png
    bill meme1.png
    108.5 KB · Views: 119
Unfortunately, I'd say today was the final decree. Maybe someday a relationship can be formed again, but Mac on the radio today was just sad.

I think it will be a good thing. It has become obvious over the last week that some of these former Buffs (particularly Embree, Klatt, CJ, Alfred & Mac) have gotten entirely too big for their britches. The sense of entitlement among this group is astonishing. Klatt dismissing anyone who hasn't played for CU, Alfred hanging up on callers, yelling "YOU DON'T GET TO QUESTION ME" and the depths of insanity that Mac descended into today are just a few examples of this lunacy. I think a separation is necessary at this point.

I think it will be a good thing. It has become obvious over the last week that some of these former Buffs (particularly Embree, Klatt, CJ, Alfred & Mac) have gotten entirely too big for their britches. The sense of entitlement among this group is astonishing. Klatt dismissing anyone who hasn't played for CU, Alfred hanging up on callers, yelling "YOU DON'T GET TO QUESTION ME" and the depths of insanity that Mac descended into today are just a few examples of this lunacy. I think a separation is necessary at this point.

Yep. These guys did great things at Colorado, but they fail to realize that Colorado is way bigger then they are. CU was here before them, and will be here long after they are gone.

So, is today the beginning of the "divorce" from Mac?

Um no.

Mac has one those fancy mNCs in the bag. He returned a trodden upon and laughed at program to *greatness*. He beat those god for saken Cornhuskers and more than once. He is legend. And that's ok with me.

And he's also a slightly crazy uncle. A fallible human being with shortcomings just like the rest of us. He just has a lot of conviction and he's blinded by faith in things. A crusader. A believer. What's wrong with that?

Nothing wrong with that.

Id remind you that he did not run a nazi death camp or fly a passenger plane into an office building. Did not cheat on a wife. Just spoke his mind. Has an opinion. Ok.

So, divorce might be a bit strong.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Um no.

Mac has one those fancy mNCs in the bag. He returned a trodden upon and laughed at program to *greatness*. He beat those god for saken Cornhuskers and more than once. He is legend. And that's ok with me.

And he's also a slightly crazy uncle. A fallible human being with shortcomings just like the rest of us. He just has a lot of conviction and he's blinded by faith in things. A crusader. A believer. What's wrong with that?

Nothing wrong with that.

Id remind you that he did not run a nazi death camp or fly a passenger plane into an office building. Just spoke his mind. Did not cheat on a wife.

Good luck.
You might want to check on that one there chief....

Um no.

Nothing wrong with that.

Id remind you that he did not run a nazi death camp or fly a passenger plane into an office building. Just spoke his mind. Did not cheat on a wife.

Good luck.

Disagree. Colorado and McCartney are divorced. Doesn't mean they can' reconcile.

While I agree with most of what you wrote, Al said "interview," not "question." Plus it was bcs, so I'm willing to let that one slide.

I think it is for me. If there's a CU event I want to go to but Mac will be speaking there, I won't purchase a ticket and go. I won't listen to his show or tune into anything that Mac has a part of. This isn't just him going down a path I can't follow. This is him being offensive and directly insulting to anyone who disagrees with him while not caring what damage he does to make his point.

I think it is for me. If there's a CU event I want to go to but Mac will be speaking there, I won't purchase a ticket and go. I won't listen to his show or tune into anything that Mac has a part of. This isn't just him going down a path I can't follow. This is him being offensive and directly insulting to anyone who disagrees with him while not caring what damage he does to make his point.

Agree.

This is why I titled this thread "divorce". I've made a few jokes about this Mac situation, but in reality it's painful, sad, and people are taking sides.

I cannot wait for the new hire, I want to throw all my support behind him, and put this painful part of this story to rest.

He made me ill tonight. He is the most racist ass in the world in his idiotic declarations about the Great Black Athlete. And how Embree can 'think with any white coach'. He let it slip. He is scum.

I swear, it's gotten so bad that I'm watching the recap of the N. Illinois vs. Kent St. game and every time they say "MAC" it makes my skin crawl.

Why did it have to be like this? I would have agreed to counseling. A brief separation to have a cooling off period would have been fine and probably would have worked. But now it's gone too far and there are irreconcilable differences.

I swear, it's gotten so bad that I'm watching the recap of the N. Illinois vs. Kent St. game and every time they say "MAC" it makes my skin crawl.

Why did it have to be like this? I would have agreed to counseling. A brief separation to have a cooling off period would have been fine and probably would have worked. But now it's gone too far and there are irreconcilable differences.

You listened. I didn't.

Radio, particularly sports talk radio, is almost as bad is listening to rush; sooner or later both will make your skin crawl and your blood boil.

Bad decision. My Mac memory is still safe.

I had an interesting talk with 2 guys at work during Mac's tirade today. Both were what Mac would call "Great Black Athletes" or "people of color." One played for Frank Beamer at Murray St in the 80's and the other played at Okie St in the 90's.

I asked both of them what they thought about all of Mac's comments. Both said they hadn't paid much attention to Mac and basically asked, "why wouldn't you fire Embree. CU was terrible." Not saying they speak for every "great black athlete", but they were like, "yeah, get a real coach in here."

Some will disagree, but this entire situation was painfully obvious how it would all end up. We weren't just going to hire a "true Buff" with his drastically unprepared resume, stack a staff with guys who were almost universally drastically unprepared in terms of experience/resume in their respective positions, and then expect them to properly rebuild an absolute mess of a program and waltz back to 1990 and make up for it all because everyone "bleeds black and gold". And, obviously, any failure (in this case epic failure, the worst CU team ever, and one of the worst "power conference" teams in the history of college football) and firing of a staff comprised almost universally of guys from the "golden days" was going to prove extremely messy and unfortunate.

I think this is good for CU to give these guys a sense of reality. I don't think there's any school in country that doesn't have athlete alumni who don't think they're more important than the regular alumni, but these guys have taken to whole other level. They are raging, mostly, because they feel impotent. I think they did feel like they had a sort of power over the football program when Water Bottle was hired, and now they're pissed, because it lasted a total of 23 months.

Guys, this is all dead once the Broncos game happens. There may be a flare up once the new coach is hired, but how are they aggressive are they going to be when some new guy comes into town?

Hell, if the Broncos LOSE, then the Broncos fans will riot if they keep talking about the Buffs

Guys, this is all dead once the Broncos game happens. There may be a flare up once the new coach is hired, but how are they aggressive are they going to be when some new guy comes into town?

Hell, if the Broncos LOSE, then the Broncos fans will riot if they keep talking about the Buffs

This is true. :lol:

I am way past the "Coach Mac's heart is in the right place" sentiments.

He has declared outright war on the university and Mike Bohn. His rhetoric is dated. His views range from ignorant to insane.

This campaign led by Embree loyalists has gone way too far. The university's reputation is permanently damaged because of these guys. I hope the university plays hard ball and completely severs ties with him. I'm talking about removing all mention of him short of his place in the media guide and record books. No more appearances at Folsom. No benefits of any kind.

This is much different than a mere disagreement with an AD. He has damaged the entire brand - on purpose - in a coordinated fashion. It's shameful.

Yeah - but the damage is done. Once this got picked up nationally, the average outsider just sees a headline about a couple of former coaches accusing the school of racism. They see scandal/controversy. Who knows what the impact will be - but the media campaign has had an effect in shaping public opinion.

Yeah - but the damage is done. Once this got picked up nationally, the average outsider just sees is a headline about a former coach accusing the school of racism. They see scandal/controversy. Who knows what the impact will be - but the media campaign has had an effect in shaping public opinion.
Don't see it. Nearly everything I have read from others talks about the god awful results under Embree, not about racism.

Don't see it. Nearly everything I have read from others talks about the god awful results under Embree, not about racism.

I'm not saying the general public buys into the racism claims. But they do look at what's going on and say "what a mess." Just like with Gary Barnett and the non-scandal scandal - sometimes perception matters more than reality.

I'm not saying the general public buys into the racism claims. But they do look at what's going on and say "what a mess." Just like with Gary Barnett and the non-scandal scandal - sometimes perception matters more than reality.
Still don't see it. What people see is 1-11 and multiple 20+ point blowouts and understand why Embree was fired. Most of the media hasn't put the racism on CU but on whether black coaches get second chances.

Still don't see it. What people see is 1-11 and multiple 20+ point blowouts and understand why Embree was fired. Most of the media hasn't put the racism on CU but on whether black coaches get second chances.

I think you're giving people too much credit. Rational people see that. True fans see that. But average people see a controversy. It may ending up having a negligible effect on the future of the program, or it might be one more thing that adds to the stigma associated with CU football. Either way, it's not positive. Mac and Co. need to go away.

We dont have to divorce him but would be nice to have someone ask him to settle down. He was a nice coach but not exactly a bobby bowden or joe paterno. 6-8yrs doesnt make you the next tom osbourne or barry alvarez where you can come in and run things. It would be good for cu to move forward. It has held us in the past a little too long hanging onto whatever mac says. Did a nice job righting the ship but left pretty early and has been gone a long time. His antics the last several hears make us look nationally like we hang on the words of a cranky old guy. Especially to 18-22 yr olds who really dont care about 1988-1993. Mac needs to quietly move to the background.

He's lost his mind. He thinks he's the lone voice in the wilderness for 'the great black athlete'. He doesn't realize he's racist when he makes remarks like Embree being able to 'think as well as the white coach'. Lastly, as recently as last (Friday) night, he was suggesting that DeStifano and Benson should say Just Kidding! and rehire Embree. He's lost.

Last edited:
Mac's religion doesn't allow him to get divorced, so you better find some way to make it work!
As a flawed Christian myself, I cannot really judge Mac. But if he has any wise counsel, such as a pastor, I believe that counsel would be to do all things for the glory of Christ.

"Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God." James 1: 19-20.

As a flawed Christian myself, I cannot really judge Mac. But if he has any wise counsel, such as a pastor, I believe that counsel would be to do all things for the glory of Christ.

"Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God." James 1: 19-20.
You should have called in and told him.

Back