What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

So......MacIntyre or DeRuyter?

MacIntyre but Im cool with DeRuyter too. DeRuyter seems to want the CU job badly, hoping that would translate into busting his ass everyday and righting the ship.

Neither. If this is what our once proud university has been reduced to, I'm just gonna wait until Bohn is fired and/or Benson is gone to start really caring again. We really screwed up by hiring Embree(I know this a dead horse) because we lost out on some good HC prospects over the last two years. I'm not excited about anyone left and I wasn't really excited by anyone other than Strong of the other candidates. I guess we do have B-Ball...

Based only on what I can distill from the collective expertise on AB, MacStitt is my guy(s).

Neither. If this is what our once proud university has been reduced to, I'm just gonna wait until Bohn is fired and/or Benson is gone to start really caring again. We really screwed up by hiring Embree(I know this a dead horse) because we lost out on some good HC prospects over the last two years. I'm not excited about anyone left and I wasn't really excited by anyone other than Strong of the other candidates. I guess we do have B-Ball...
So you already know they would both suck. How come you arent the AD?

So you already know they would both suck. How come you arent the AD?

If you're really getting excited about these guys than that says it all. We can't even attract a coach from a BCS school? What a joke. I would rather have an up and coming coordinator from a big school than a guy from a tiny one horse program or a guy who has only been a HC one year.

I think Fresno's coach has too much potential to be another Hawkins-type bust (or he might be great...his resume just screams "Too early to tell" at this point).

Mike MacIntyre, on the other hand, is a very good up and comer. I wanted him more than I ever wanted Jones. He's done college...he's done the NFL (with Bill Parcells too). He's a defensive guy who recruits well (and knows the West). He has a good coaching pedigree family-wise. And San Jose State is truly one of the worst programs historically you will ever find (and a VERY tough place to win). He doesn't depend on JC transfers...and no one set the table for him before he got there or left him any good talent to inherit.

Considering where CU is right now, this is probably the best hire available to us. That means Bohn probably will hire someone else.:bang:

If you're really getting excited about these guys than that says it all. We can't even attract a coach from a BCS school? What a joke. I would rather have an up and coming coordinator from a big school than a guy from a tiny one horse program or a guy who has only been a HC one year.
You want to take step 10 before taking step 1. Have to get back to respectability before getting back on a national level. Yes they can get Bcs level coaches, you should let them know who is good enough for you. I think both would be solid hires.

Sad to say but I'm not excited about any of the candidates being mentioned including Jones. I just don't see a championship coach in the bunch.

With that in mind what I want is somebody who will come in and develop a foundation that can be built on by the next guy. Get somebody in here who will recruit us at least to competitiveness, somebody who will run a program that looks like a major college program instead of a badly run JV squad.

This may sound doom and gloom but I'm not expecting much from this hire, I just hope that he is a foundation builder and I don't have to be embarrassed to wear a CU shirt around other college FB fans.

Most of the coaches left who are on most of our "lists," hardly have any head coaching experience, and what they have is not within a BCS conference.

Since Bohn has whiffed on his guy, and proven that he can't close a deal, there is no reason to only look at minor conference head coaches with little experience. Bohn's plan of hiring a "BCS head coach," isn't going to happen, so the search might as well be opened up to BCS conference coordinators who are experienced and respected on the national level. I don't want the search limited to just the "leftovers," since the plan was obviously flawed from the beginning.

One of the coaches like MacIntyre or Deruyter might be great, but I don't want to limit our search to those guys. Bohn blew it, and wasted a lot of time, so let's make sure we get the best fit in here.

I think Fresno's coach has too much potential to be another Hawkins-type bust (or he might be great...his resume just screams "Too early to tell" at this point).

Mike MacIntyre, on the other hand, is a very good up and comer. I wanted him more than I ever wanted Jones. He's done college...he's done the NFL (with Bill Parcells too). He's a defensive guy who recruits well (and knows the West). He has a good coaching pedigree family-wise. And San Jose State is truly one of the worst programs historically you will ever find (and a VERY tough place to win). He doesn't depend on JC transfers...and no one set the table for him before he got there or left him any good talent to inherit.

Considering where CU is right now, this is probably the best hire available to us. That means Bohn probably will hire someone else.:bang:
Well said!

It's sad, but this is where we're at. Clearly, we're considered one of, if not the, worst BCS jobs in the nation. Not sure if you've watched ESPN lately when they go over the openings, but CU is not well thought of right now. I'd love it if Strong would consider leaving Louisville for CU, but that's not close to realistic, even with $3 million/year and promises of facilities upgrades.

I was listening to DMac and Big Al yesterday, and DMac was arguing that CU should be looking for a HC that can get us to 7 wins, Big Al was saying CU should be going after a HC that can get us to a national championship. While I agree with Al, I think short-term, I'd be happy with 7 wins in a season 3 years from now if we've gotten our new facilities built. This is gonna take a while to rebuild and it's gonna take a while to make this a prime job that other BCS coaches would jump at, but we're not there now.

I didn't see this before I posted. I'm not as on board with your other post about distancing myself from the program, but as far as this post goes, I'm right there with you.

We've all been saying that we shouldn't be clinging to the past success and should be looking for the NEXT Coach Mac....well here he is!

I didn't see this before I posted. I'm not as on board with your other post about distancing myself from the program, but as far as this post goes, I'm right there with you.

I guess the distancing thing was more of a knee jerk reaction. I swore I would not watch a game after we lost to Sac State, but I ended up watching every game except the Utah game. I'm just resigning myself to low standards until Bohn is fired and not get mad anymore.

Only way to get a big name with the way things are currently is to have the facilities stuff going and pay more than 2.5 million. Since they probably wont, Mac should get a big look. Id be fine with Mason, Wilcox, and other good coordinators getting a shot too.

I'd be happy with either of these guys, with a slight preference to Macintyre. I love the idea of Stitt as OC, but realize the new coach would likely bring their own OC.

I guess the distancing thing was more of a knee jerk reaction. I swore I would not watch a game after we lost to Sac State, but I ended up watching every game except the Utah game. I'm just resigning myself to low standards until Bohn is fired and not get mad anymore.

If it makes you feel any better Denver...let's recall that historically CU doesn't do that well the few times we have ended up hiring the "Big Boy" coaches. Fairbanks comes to mind right away.:rolling_eyes:

The truth is, those guys are often used to working in conditions far more condusive to success that what they will find in Boulder (as we all know...a tough place for football coaches compared with, say, most SEC or Big 10 schools). Then they get here and have problems. We are going to "get lucky" with our next hire if they turn out to be successful. There's really no science to it. We certainly CAN screw it up with an obvious poor hire...but we can't hire a known sure-fire winner (say, a Saban type). Let's just hope Bohn doesn't screw it up...and gets the guy who looks like he gives us the best odds for success (as I said...I like Mike MacIntyre).

...and the problem with hiring coordinators to be head coaches is while there's no doubt they make up the pool of people the next great coaches will come from, they are even more untested and unknown as head coaches than head coaches are (obviously, right?). So, if we are trying to maximize our chances, it would seem logical to get guys who are already head coaches (especially given our latest experience with a staff of people who never held that position).CU hasn't "fallen" from a place where we attracted good head coaching hires from other established top football schools. We never did that historically. Our best coaches have never been head coaching hires from other good football schools.

If it makes you feel any better Denver...let's recall that historically CU doesn't do that well the few times we have ended up hiring the "Big Boy" coaches. Fairbanks comes to mind right away.:rolling_eyes:

The truth is, those guys are often used to working in conditions far more condusive to success that what they will find in Boulder (as we all know...a tough place for football coaches compared with, say, most SEC or Big 10 schools). Then they get here and have problems. We are going to "get lucky" with our next hire if they turn out to be successful. There's really no science to it. We certainly CAN screw it up with an obvious poor hire...but we can't hire a known sure-fire winner (say, a Saban type). Let's just hope Bohn doesn't screw it up...and gets the guy who looks like he gives us the best odds for success (as I said...I like Mike MacIntyre).

...and the problem with hiring coordinators to be head coaches is while there's no doubt they make up the pool of people the next great coaches will come from, they are even more untested and unknown as head coaches than head coaches are (obviously, right?). So, if we are trying to maximize our chances, it would seem logical to get guys who are already head coaches (especially given our latest experience with a staff of people who never held that position).CU hasn't "fallen" from a place where we attracted good head coaching hires from other established top football schools. We never did that historically. Our best coaches have never been head coaching hires from other good football schools.
Hmm very good points. Rep!

IMO the biggest problem is Boulder. Went to HS there(I'm a transplant from Texas) and then CU-B, but I was always disgusted by the apathy from the town towards the team. It's almost like they see the FB team as a distraction to the beauty and rep of Boulder. It seems like most of the people who come to the games aren't from Boulder, as evidenced by the traffic on 36(but this is pure speculation on my part). There is an uphill battle facing any AD at CU, but having a pretty incompetent one isn't helping.

With that said I want us to hire MacIntyre. NOW! No Bronco, no DeRuyter(he's ONLY been a HC one year). I have a feeling we hire DeRuyter and find out quickly that he was a one year wonder. That will be par for the course of Bohn's stay here.

Hmm very good points. Rep!

IMO the biggest problem is Boulder. Went to HS there(I'm a transplant from Texas) and then CU-B, but I was always disgusted by the apathy from the town towards the team. It's almost like they see the FB team as a distraction to the beauty and rep of Boulder. It seems like most of the people who come to the games aren't from Boulder, as evidenced by the traffic on 36(but this is pure speculation on my part). There is an uphill battle facing any AD at CU, but having a pretty incompetent one isn't helping.

With that said I want us to hire MacIntyre. NOW! No Bronco, no DeRuyter(he's ONLY been a HC one year). I have a feeling we hire DeRuyter and find out quickly that he was a one year wonder. That will be par for the course of Bohn's stay here.

You couldn't be more correct about the attitude towards football in Boulder. We all need to remember what that was like when we went there when we think about coaching hires. It a tougher-than-normal environment in a lot of ways (and one wrong statement to the media could get you in a firestorm of trouble in that beautiful but oh-so-politically volatile town!).

I wish I trusted Bohn more to pick the person who gave us the best chances. I don't though.

Whoever we get needs to be able to keep Sefo in the fold. Both Macintyre and Deruyter were successful because they had good QBs. SJSU didn't take off until they lucked into a good one from the Juco ranks and Deruyter inherited his.

The keys to turning around the program are: 1) Facilities (= improved recruiting), 2) QB (keeping Sefo is imperitive), 3) Competent coach (don't have to have a rockstar, just someone with proven philosophies/schemes)

Why the F()CK isn't Art Briles' name being mentioned? IMO he would be the best hire we could make(better than Jones). Who cares if he doesn't have any defense? Neither does the rest of the PAC 12... Is there something I haven't heard about him that's holding us back from contacting him? If we aren't a better job than Baylor then we should move to DII.

Why the F()CK isn't Art Briles' name being mentioned? IMO he would be the best hire we could make(better than Jones). Who cares if he doesn't have any defense? Neither does the rest of the PAC 12... Is there something I haven't heard about him that's holding us back from contacting him? If we aren't a better job than Baylor then we should move to DII.

Briles just signed an extension at Bailer.

oh, and **** Bailer.

neither... i feel like defensive coaches are always prone to fail in this league... as for macintyre he doesnt excite me. and get the stitt talk out of here...
one thing to think about maybe going public with how much money we are offering may bring someone out of the woodwork... i heard things about bielema talking to arkansas back in september telling them if john smith didnt work out to call him cause he knew about all the promises for new facilities and commitment to the program similar to what we are doing.

Back