What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

So......MacIntyre or DeRuyter?

I'd be fine with either of these coaches. I'd probably prefer either over Bronco as well. Can this just be over? I want to move on...

I like both of these guys. Think they would do well for you. However, Mac apparently bombed his interview with Cal and was quickly dropped from consideration. No idea what it was, but he must have said something that our AD did not like, FWIW.

I like both of these guys. Think they would do well for you. However, Mac apparently bombed his interview with Cal and was quickly dropped from consideration. No idea what it was, but he must have said something that our AD did not like, FWIW.

Some folks have said that Mac doesn't necessarily have the charisma or personality that some look for. Brilliant defensive mind and a very good coach, but not necessarily the skill set that would wow you during an interview.

IMO the biggest problem is Boulder. Went to HS there(I'm a transplant from Texas) and then CU-B, but I was always disgusted by the apathy from the town towards the team. It's almost like they see the FB team as a distraction to the beauty and rep of Boulder. It seems like most of the people who come to the games aren't from Boulder, as evidenced by the traffic on 36(but this is pure speculation on my part). There is an uphill battle facing any AD at CU, but having a pretty incompetent one isn't helping.

Boulder has always been a weird place, and the townies are hardly representative of the fanbase. Largely a bunch of leftover hippies and academics who despise anything jocks do (too many profs were the ones stuffed into lockers or in HS). They just don't like jocks or their fans. Tough titty, Boulder is where our Buffs play and we like to see them succeed. Don't think anyone should gauge Buffmania, such as it is, on Boulderites - they hardly reflect the CU loyal in the way we do.

He either wasn't big on academics, or:
"I only recruit female kickers."

Boulder has always been a weird place, and the townies are hardly representative of the fanbase. Largely a bunch of leftover hippies and academics who despise anything jocks do (too many profs were the ones stuffed into lockers or in HS). They just don't like jocks or their fans. Tough titty, Boulder is where our Buffs play and we like to see them succeed. Don't think anyone should gauge Buffmania, such as it is, on Boulderites - they hardly reflect the CU loyal in the way we do.

Professors for the most part don't hate football and the hippy thing is overblown IMO. They all moved up into the mountains, along with their Subies. Now it's just liberals who drive Prius'

Maybe Bohn's has had trouble separating good interviewees from good HC's in the past. Perhaps he's grown into a more competent AD now?

I see this as being a roadblock for hiring a big name coach. The coach already feels like their back is against the wall even before they're hired. Lots of college towns are located in towns with similar demographics to Boulder like Madison or Ann Arbour, but they have the FULL support of the city and the area. I also feel like the state in general doesn't care much about CU football. It's Broncos country here...

Bohn needs to look beyond current HCs, but if he continues to refuse to do so, DeRuyter is the best remaining option, I guess. I don't think his chances for success at CU are any better or worse than BJ's and he should come a little cheaper.

Professors for the most part don't hate football and the hippy thing is overblown IMO. They all moved up into the mountains, along with their Subies. Now it's just liberals who drive Prius'

Agreed. The meme that the faculty hates football is so, so wrong :lol:

Wow. Schooled by 'Tini. :rolling_eyes:
It'd be better if you're right, just not my experience.

Get someone who can get this group back to relevancy. Someone who cares about the place. Someone who wants the kids not only to graduate but to freakin win more than 5 games. Bohn needs to not throw all the cards on the table. He wasted some serious time with Jones.

Wow. Schooled by 'Tini. :rolling_eyes:
It'd be better if you're right, just not my experience.

I have never, in my admitted limited experience, encountered a professor who hated athletics. At worst they were indifferent. I know some people on here who have been professors or relatives of professors have said the same. Im sure some hate athletics, but I think they are in the minority quite a bit. Boulder is becoming a seemingly normal town, just with lots of liberals (NTTIATWWT) and homeless people.

Bohn needs to not throw all the cards on the table. He wasted some serious time with Jones.

Well, it can always be argued that people like us are not privy to the inside negotiations and goings-on...but it sure does look that way from where we sit. Having several people interviewing all around the same time would at least have made us look like people were sniffing around and interested (and maybe put a bit of competitive pressure on the candidates...ie. "Can I afford to sit back here? If I do, will one of those other guys beat me to the gig?").

Now, one might say that for all we know, Bohn has done this behind the scenes...but it might have been better had it all been public and covered by the media (then perhaps all this message board/twitterverse heat would have worked in our favor as a pressure enhancer on the applicants...rather than against us as it might have in the BJ situation).

Now we look like we are flailing (whether we are or not in reality) and any new coach is going to walk into a poorer situation than they otherwise might have (no big deal here perhaps...others have done this before successfully).

I hope Bohn doesn't favor the good interviewee over the good coach. We don't need a public relations figure as much as we need a good coach (and yes, I know that coaches need PR skills these days...but it's not worth sacrificing the good coach for the good P.R. skills if you can't get a guy who has both!).

One thing is for sure: the window is narrowing our potential choices. The longer we wait, the more the pool shrinks and the more we might be forced to take someone that even Bohn doesn't want because we are currently without any head coach at all...:bang:

Well, it can always be argued that people like us are not privy to the inside negotiations and goings-on...but it sure does look that way from where we sit. Having several people interviewing all around the same time would at least have made us look like people were sniffing around and interested (and maybe put a bit of competitive pressure on the candidates...ie. "Can I afford to sit back here? If I do, will one of those other guys beat me to the gig?").

Now, one might say that for all we know, Bohn has done this behind the scenes...but it might have been better had it all been public and covered by the media (then perhaps all this message board/twitterverse heat would have worked in our favor as a pressure enhancer on the applicants...rather than against us as it might have in the BJ situation).

Now we look like we are flailing (whether we are or not in reality) and any new coach is going to walk into a poorer situation than they otherwise might have (no big deal here perhaps...others have done this before successfully).

I hope Bohn doesn't favor the good interviewee over the good coach. We don't need a public relations figure as much as we need a good coach (and yes, I know that coaches need PR skills these days...but it's not worth sacrificing the good coach for the good P.R. skills if you can't get a guy who has both!).

One thing is for sure: the window is narrowing our potential choices. The longer we wait, the more the pool shrinks and the more we might be forced to take someone that even Bohn doesn't want because we are currently without any head coach at all...:bang:

I read from someone yesterday (can't remember who) that Bohn had a number of candidates on campus last week.

MacIntyre >>>> DeRuyter imo.

Curious as to why you feel this way. I give Mac a slight edge based on his head coaching experience and program turnaround, but I'd value D-Root's experience as DC with aTm far more than I would Mac's experience as a DC with Duke. Beyond that, Mac was out of the college game for several years with the NFL and Deruyter was in the game, but at AFA. There just isn't that much separating these two in my mind.

Curious as to why you feel this way. I give Mac a slight edge based on his head coaching experience and program turnaround, but I'd value D-Root's experience as DC with aTm far more than I would Mac's experience as a DC with Duke. Beyond that, Mac was out of the college game for several years with the NFL and Deruyter was in the game, but at AFA. There just isn't that much separating these two in my mind.

Well, for one, Fresno was not much of a rebuild job. DeRuyter did nicely to get 9 wins, but his players aren't bad. MacIntyre had to literally build SJSU up from nothing. I give Mac way more points for that than DeRuyter gets for one good year at Fresno.

I do agree that DC at A&M is > DC at Duke. I'm not sure why I feel like that, but I do. On one hand, you can argue that A&M had way more talent than Duke ever would, so you could argue Mac did more with less there. On the other hand, Duke is in the ACC and I have little respect for the ACC, while A&M was in a pretty offense oriented league.

As for Air Force vs NFL. I see that as a push. The MWC isn't overly impressive, but he was DC there while Mac was a NFL position coach. I'm not a fan of NFL coaches, but I don't really care whether or not they have spent time in the NFL. As long as they aren't coming from the NFL to the college game right away, Mac has been in college for quite a few years now.

So.. that's basically why I prefer Mac to DeRuyter. I'd be ok with DeRuyter, but would prefer Mac by quite a bit. That job he did at SJSU is impressive.

It's also worth noting that I preferred Mac over Bitch Jones too. I've liked him throughout this process.

Well, Mac has actually turned a horrible program around from scratch. His NFL experience isn't a minus...it's a plus (think about the college coaches with NFL experience. Most are better because of it). Also, Mac has some actual years of recruiting as a HC under his belt...one year as Fresno's HC is just too short of a resume to make D-Root much more of a known commodity than some coordinators. He's inherited the lion's share of the players he's winning with. He inherited a (mostly) successful football culture. He's not going to be doing that when he gets to CU. It's a new situation for him. It's not for Mac.

Sorry White Rabbit...didn't mean to regurgitate many of your points...simultaneous posting...

neither... i feel like defensive coaches are always prone to fail in this league... as for macintyre he doesnt excite me. and get the stitt talk out of here...
one thing to think about maybe going public with how much money we are offering may bring someone out of the woodwork... i heard things about bielema talking to arkansas back in september telling them if john smith didnt work out to call him cause he knew about all the promises for new facilities and commitment to the program similar to what we are doing.

MacIntyre. Stitt. In here. Deal with it.:cool:

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

I like them both and think it is almost a toss up although I lean DeR. I like that he spent his whole time in college after the clusterf***K of Water Bottle & Co which seemed not capable of simplifying things and coaching up young college kids.

I don't know why it is that important but for some reason I also like the DeR spent quality time in Colorado at AFA. I think because he knows the lay of the land and probably has an affinity for Colorado-meaning he would maybe stay longer rather than see it as a stepping stone. Also he apparently reached out to us about the job, which if true, reinforces that he actually wants it-compared to BJ who apparently never did.

MacIntyre. Stitt. In here. Deal with it.
This is starting to look like the best option. Too bad Dykes was already hired by Cal. The Pac 12 just got more top heavy on offense. We will need to hire Stitt to keep us fresh in the PAC 12 and a DC as a HC to shut down the ridiculous offenses we will face week in and week out.

I like them both and think it is almost a toss up although I lean DeR. I like that he spent his whole time in college after the clusterf***K of Water Bottle & Co which seemed not capable of simplifying things and coaching up young college kids.

I don't know why it is that important but for some reason I also like the DeR spent quality time in Colorado at AFA. I think because he knows the lay of the land and probably has an affinity for Colorado-meaning he would maybe stay longer rather than see it as a stepping stone. Also he apparently reached out to us about the job, which if true, reinforces that he actually wants it-compared to BJ who apparently never did.
Generally, I'd agree with you with a lack of faith in "NFL guys" translating to college. However, with MacIntyre, he did the college thing, went to the pros and worked with Parcells, and then came back to college and has been successful. Given what he's done at SJSU, it seems pretty clear that he knows how to coach college players. In that case, the NFL experience is just a bonus.

Back