What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

So many key seniors ...

Toupu going pro is going to make a big hole. If I look at the biggest difference maker this year it is him and QB play. Assuming we line up a JC guy to be the anchor of our D Is a huge assumption. At our skill positions we seem to be two deep and to have good talent in this recruiting class. If we go back to placing multiple players on the line that are true freshman, we're repeating a cycle that sucked for the last five years. It takes a real stud to come in as a freshmen and compete against the three hundred pound men our competitors are putting into the NFL in the PAC.

I think people tend to be a little too skittish with true freshman. Expecting a few to contribute on the defense as true freshmen is really not a big deal.

Especially if one of them is an elite level prospect. Going to give up some weight on the line I think, but we should be alright if we finish out this class strong.

Especially if one of them is an elite level prospect. Going to give up some weight on the line I think, but we should be alright if we finish out this class strong.
That freshman DL guy at Houston is killing it this year. Rogers could be a similar type player.

There are several players that will be tough to replace. Carroll has really performed this year. Tupou is just a man and will play some at the next level. Awuzie and Witherspoon are also big losses and Thompson can just do everything. That being said, I feel confident that Oliver and Julmisse can thrive as cornerbacks. I am very confident Jackson will be a very good starter on the D line and I fully expect Moeller and Fisher to be able to replace Thompson. The one guy who isn't really replaceable is Tupou...but I do think that with another year in the weight room Franke will be solid if not a replacement and that one of our other guys will find a way to replace what Carroll has done this year. By the time you account for improvement from the LB's and from Laguda I think the D can be every bit as good next year as this.

I think people tend to be a little too skittish with true freshman. Expecting a few to contribute on the defense as true freshmen is really not a big deal.
Short of a freakishly strong/mature kid, the DL is not typically an area we see true freshman start and contribute immediately, right? Maybe outside of pass rushing DE/OLB...

There are several players that will be tough to replace. Carroll has really performed this year. Tupou is just a man and will play some at the next level. Awuzie and Witherspoon are also big losses and Thompson can just do everything. That being said, I feel confident that Oliver and Julmisse can thrive as cornerbacks. I am very confident Jackson will be a very good starter on the D line and I fully expect Moeller and Fisher to be able to replace Thompson. The one guy who isn't really replaceable is Tupou...but I do think that with another year in the weight room Franke will be solid if not a replacement and that one of our other guys will find a way to replace what Carroll has done this year. By the time you account for improvement from the LB's and from Laguda I think the D can be every bit as good next year as this.
Franke isn't a NT. I know he's listed on the depth chart, but realistically he'd need to gain 40 lbs of mostly good weight.

The offensive position battles next Spring/Fall are going to be epic.

- OL - Between the starters we have coming back, the younger ones already in the program with another year with Drew Wilson, and the incoming Frosh studs, we will finally have the necessary talent and depth where OL should be a strength of the team.
- WR - This position has been discussed a lot, but with four 4* Freshman, who would have all seen some playing time as true freshman at any other point the past decade, and the rest of the Black Out Boyz, including the return of Winfree, this is another position that will be the best in the Pac 12 (again).
- QB - I know most people think the job will be handed to Montez, but with Lytle coming in, and Noyer coming off his RS year, I think this will be the best QB battle we will have had in a long time. It's definitely Montez' job to lose, IMO, and he'll start as the #1 in Spring, but his play this year has me thinking Noyer could also be successful in this system.

RB is a complete unknown, as it TE, unless Falo decides to come to Boulder. In that case, I think he starts from day one.

Offense = Loaded

As far as DT recruits that could refill our cupboard my favorite is now Brandon Pili. Huge, fast, instincts. Family moved from Alaska to get him seen. You can tell he is a genetic freak by looking at his family. Sister is 15 years and 220lbs and dominates the boys in FB. Still a lot to learn = huge upside. Way under the radar when we offered. To bad he is starting to blow up now. Offers from USC, UCLA, Wisconsin, ...

Assuming we close this class out the way we hope, I'm not worried.

Our offense has the potential for a major step forward. The majority of our o-line, and potential upgrades from the likes of Winfree returning and potential Falo recruit.

A few major recruits like Rogers and Ellis would be awesome on the defensive side.

I think it depends on the spot. Alot of the offensive spots are good-Montez is a stud, our WRs are back, and I feel good about our depth at RB. Some questions defensively in spots, but nothing that can't be addressed with 7-8 practices (seems like a gameplan for a bowl opponent wouldnt take more than 5 practices to put in) during bowl prep and spring. We'll be fine, and we've got a pretty easy OOC to boot (CSU, Texas State, and UNC).

Samson Kafovalu, big recruit? In my humble opinion--YES!! With full scholarship offers from Div. 1 schools --total 12 offers/full ride scholarships...I think that's pretty impressive..but then again, just my opinion :) #GoBuffs
Don't underestimate guys who have been in the system for three years and are getting their chance, either. That's what MM is building here and it's a system that takes a while to get going but once it does can be extremely effective. Guys like Solis, Tupou and Kafovalu were not big time recruits, either. They were guys who had potential. We have a lot of those types of guys on the two deep who will be getting a lot of playing time next year.

That said, I worry most about the loss of Tupou. He is a monster and it will be difficult to replace him.[/QUOTE
Weren't Samson and Solis pretty big recruits? They had atleast a couple power five offers from some bigger programs.

Samson Kafovalu, big recruit? In my humble opinion--YES!! With full scholarship offers from Div. 1 schools --total 12 offers/full ride scholarships...I think that's pretty impressive..but then again, just my opinion :) #GoBuffs

Embree pulled some talent above what CU's record was thought to be able to attract but as has been discussed here before many of those takes were considered risky for programs who could afford to be picky. Academic or personal reasons. For the various times he got himself in the doghouse CU's patience paid off and after being forced to play as a true freshman 4 years ago ended up finishing his career as a very productive piece of the defensive line.

Back