What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

So, once CU cashes those Big Ten checks

Jens1893

Club Member
Club Member
Junta Member
And we have more money than we can spend and have fixed the football coaching salaries, the slush fund and the recruiting budget, what are your top 3 infrastructure projects for the CU AD to tackle?

1. Folsom Field

West side will probably be demolished and rebuilt from the ground up. Will need wider seats for bigger fans from the B1G especially to the state NE of us. I want to see the field wider for LAX & soccer and that probably means something like the front five rows of both sides would be torn out. We need to build an upper deck to put all those Cornhusker fans out of sight of TV cameras for most of the game. I think Folsom Field can top out at 55K fans but I'm cool with just 50K.

MLAX would add eight home games and WLAX would add six home games. That's 14 more games at Folsom Field if that makes sense. If not, soccer & lax could have their own new stadium.

2. The Keg

I don't think this will happen right away but I think it's time to put the suite boxes in the Foam Dome. We will need to start raising $$$ for the eventual replacement arena that would allow us to have hockey. I think 8 to 9 thousand seats would be fine for hockey & basketball.

3. Softball Stadium

If CU is to add MLAX, there probably will have to be another women's sport added and softball would be it.

Have they finally torn down family housing to the east of Folsom Field?

I spend my elementary years in student family housing, with the track and baseball field right outside. I used to love watching the Buffs baseball practice - it's time to bring back baseball to Boulder, with a shiny new stadium for some conference championships

Admittedly I’m distanced from this decision making but what’s the thought process of taking a sport like men’s lacrosse over baseball? Specifically if we’re going to have to build a softball complex

Admittedly, volleyball is the only <holds nose> Olympic sport </h> I follow at all at CU, but given how poorly attented football and men's basketball are, I don't see a case for adding any more sports.

If the last couple weeks has taught us anything, it’s that we should invest every last dollar in the football program. We have 2 decades of catching up to do.

Maybe throw enough money at men’s hoops to keep Tad happy, but talk of adding sports is nonsense.
Yeah I’m not sure why anything other than coaches salaries and recruiting infrastructure is being mentioned.

Yeah I’m not sure why anything other than coaches salaries and recruiting infrastructure is being mentioned.

And we have more money than we can spend and have fixed the football coaching salaries, the slush fund and the recruiting budget, what are your top 3 infrastructure projects for the CU AD to tackle?

I don’t even think about adding sports until we’ve won a conference title or two in football. Until that happens, it’s not fixed and I’d keep investing until it does. Maybe spend some money on game day experience at Folsom (sound system, WiFi, Balch, bathrooms, etc).

Facilities are fair game too
Based on the OP, if we are strictly talking infrastructure upgrades because coaching salaries have already been made level with the top 20 programs in the country, then yes, I agree. If there’s anything we’ve learned over the last 7-8 years, though, it’s that facilities are a minimum requirement to compete for recruits, but they don’t close on blue chip players.

I figure out something that the academic folks want and regularly have a hard time getting the funding for. What comes to mind are conferences (i.e. finding the money to attend academic conferences) - but really, it could be anything. And then I fund it (say $3-7 million/year would probably do it). I would even consider sending them some "bonus" money when there are bigger payouts (bowl games, tournament appearances, etc). The only thing you ask for in return is that their department puts a little effort into talking to recruits (from all sports) who are interested in their department when they come on their campus visit. I also make damn sure that every prof and grad ass knows that the AD is contributing the money.

I think the return on that ongoing investment would pay off in a big way. Money has a way of changing attitudes.

I'd also consider putting some money (small amounts in the grand scheme of the AD's budget) into the student government (which is really putting money into all the clubs that operate under their auspice - which is actually a lot more than most folks realize) - after some TABOR like budget restrictions put on them by republicans ~20 years ago they've been pretty starved for funds ever since.

I know that "other ADs" don't have to do that stuff, and we'd be operating at somewhat of a disadvantage as a result - but I still think the ROI *for us* would be greater than the ROI of adding a couple more sports.

I figure out something that the academic folks want and regularly have a hard time getting the funding for. What comes to mind are conferences (i.e. finding the money to attend academic conferences) - but really, it could be anything. And then I fund it (say $3-7 million/year would probably do it). I would even consider sending them some "bonus" money when there are bigger payouts (bowl games, tournament appearances, etc). The only thing you ask for in return is that their department puts a little effort into talking to recruits (from all sports) who are interested in their department when they come on their campus visit. I also make damn sure that every prof and grad ass knows that the AD is contributing the money.

I think the return on that ongoing investment would pay off in a big way. Money has a way of changing attitudes.

I'd also consider putting some money (small amounts in the grand scheme of the AD's budget) into the student government (which is really putting money into all the clubs that operate under their auspice - which is actually a lot more than most folks realize) - after some TABOR like budget restrictions put on them by republicans ~20 years ago they've been pretty starved for funds ever since.

I know that "other ADs" don't have to do that stuff, and we'd be operating at somewhat of a disadvantage as a result - but I still think the ROI *for us* would be greater than the ROI of adding a couple more sports.
I believe you have a point, but I still can't resist...

Now we understand what Jack Kroll meant when he said the money would be better spent trying to cure cancer!

He was just ahead of his time.

I don’t even think about adding sports until we’ve won a conference title or two in football. Until that happens, it’s not fixed and I’d keep investing until it does. Maybe spend some money on game day experience at Folsom (sound system, WiFi, Balch, bathrooms, etc).
So don’t grow the athletic department until we beat Ohio State…twice in November?

Investing heavily in football snd generously in Basketball makes sense as they will be the most valuable to the conference in negotiations for the media deals.

But I worry given CUs limited Olympic sports offerings how attractive generally is the department to the rest of the conference? I think at a minimum CU needs build a matrix of how many teams and what sports are all the other conference members are offering. Start adding sports that have men’s/women’s counterparts lax, soccer, volleyball, tennis. Then move towards sports requiring capital building investment like swimming and baseball/softball. Unfortunately this too means CU is going to need to cut the passion sport of skiing.

So don’t grow the athletic department until we beat Ohio State…twice in November?

Investing heavily in football snd generously in Basketball makes sense as they will be the most valuable to the conference in negotiations for the media deals.

But I worry given CUs limited Olympic sports offerings how attractive generally is the department to the rest of the conference? I think at a minimum CU needs build a matrix of how many teams and what sports are all the other conference members are offering. Start adding sports that have men’s/women’s counterparts lax, soccer, volleyball, tennis. Then move towards sports requiring capital building investment like swimming and baseball/softball. Unfortunately this too means CU is going to need to cut the passion sport of skiing.
Yes. Win conference titles in football before even thinking about adding sports. Additional sports are a terrible ROI.

In this hypothetical scenario, the BIG has already added us so we don’t need to add sports to look more attractive. We have 17 varsity sports, Oklahoma has 19 - BFD, adding lacrosse or baseball will be a drag on the AD.

I have been waiting with baited breathe for the correct answer since this thread was started;

1. Coaching staff that can recruit
2. Hookers
3. Blow
4. Bags

What are your specific suggestions for the infrastructure projects? How would you like to see them done?

Ultimately, this is about winning. Your condition precedent covers the biggest hinderance to us winning. We already have nice enough facilities to win big here. They need Coaches and a recruiting support staff to bring in better players. The rest is gravy and opulence IMO.

EDIT: I understand that’s the point of this thread, my above post was simply a poor attempt at levity. Watching the hearings this morning has me grumpy :)

What are your specific suggestions for the infrastructure projects? How would you like to see them done?
I think a renovation/expansion of the West side and Balch FH has major potential. Bigger/better beer garden, a few full service bars, big screens everywhere with actual TV game audio throughout. Basically, make Balch like the party deck at Coors Field. Not sure how feasible it would be but maybe even open up a viewing area of the field as well. Normal game tickets get you access, but you can buy tickets specifically for that area.

Back