What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

So, was the blue out a success?

Duh. He's one of the ones who clearly thinks that the blue was an attack on the players (regardless of what's stated otherwise), so rushing the field to celebrate with the players is "strangely hypocritical". An AD spy? A clueless ****tard? You be the judge.

Duh. He's one of the ones who clearly thinks that the blue was an attack on the players (regardless of what's stated otherwise), so rushing the field to celebrate with the players is "strangely hypocritical". An AD spy? A clueless ****tard? You be the judge.

The two aren't mutually exclusive, you know. I think he's the same guy I pegged as an AD plant on his second post.

EDIT: Instead of planting "spies" it might be more productive to actually have an AD Sports Info Rep stop by, from time to time to explain their position on the more contentious issues.

I know it would require the Department to validate the value of fan sites by representing themselves, as themselves, in such a forum. But in 2009 it's ridiculous to imagine that fans--thirsty for news on their teams--don't congregate on the interwebz. While the discourse isn't always positive on the webz, sometimes it is. It might be more positive if somebody more official stopped by from time-to-time with the official AD view on certain matters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your maternal-like defense of the fragile psychies of this youngest generation of Buffs is misguided. The players don't want or need you coddling. They hate losing as much as the fans.

Hey buddy... you can call it "maternal-like defense of the fragile psyches of this youngest generation of Buffs" and I'll call it not wanting to be perceived as being critical of the players themselves. I'm not coddling anything just disagreeing with fans using what I consider to be negative reinforcement as "some sense" of motivation.

...I would also venture to say that they hate losing more than the fans.

I know it would require the Department to validate the value of fan sites by representing themselves, as themselves, in such a forum. But in 2009 it's ridiculous to imagine that fans--thirsty for news on their teams--don't congregate on the interwebz. While the discourse isn't always positive on the webz, sometimes it is. It might be more positive if somebody more official stopped by from time-to-time with the official AD view on certain matters.

I agree... I think it would be awesome for the department to engage the fans via a site like this. Like when the Daily Camera used to respond to some of the comments left on the BuffZone page (which obviously they wouldn't dip a big toe into now given the state of those comments).

The two aren't mutually exclusive, you know. I think he's the same guy I pegged as an AD plant on his second post.

EDIT: Instead of planting "spies" it might be more productive to actually have an AD Sports Info Rep stop by, from time to time to explain their position on the more contentious issues.

That would make them internet scum, though! Or they could take back that comment. I don't see them doing either. Why would they want to make the fans happy? That's not their job.

Plati hates message boards and equivocates message boards to the blue out thing. I wish he would, instead, embrace message boards, or, as they should be called, FAN sites. I don't think he wants to believe or concede that fan sites have any kind of influence.

Yep, which also goes back to the thread I started yesterday and the AD's concerted effort to demonize the fans.

So has anyone emailed Plati to call him out on the inaccuracy of his count? I'd be interested to hear his response.

...I would also venture to say that they hate losing more than the fans.

Really? Let's think about this one for a second. I've been going to CU games since I was four years old. I grew up in Folsom Stadium. The only school I ever really wanted to go to was CU. I was going to games before the current players were even born. I'll be going to the games long after they're gone. I have an emotional and financial investment in this program that goes back a very, very long time. Just because I didn't physically strap on the helmet and put on the pads doesn't make me any less devoted to the program.

Really? Let's think about this one for a second. I've been going to CU games since I was four years old. I grew up in Folsom Stadium. The only school I ever really wanted to go to was CU. I was going to games before the current players were even born. I'll be going to the games long after they're gone. I have an emotional and financial investment in this program that goes back a very, very long time. Just because I didn't physically strap on the helmet and put on the pads doesn't make me any less devoted to the program.

I remember going to Potter's after some tough loss in the early 90's. My entire group was despondant and drinking our sorrows away. A group of players showed up, all happier than **** having a good time. I remember thinking, "**** you guys, you have no right to be happy."

Of course there was nothing wrong with their behavior, but they certainly weren't taking the loss as hard as I was.

:yeahthat::yeahthat: Minus the being old part. Although I may have gone to a couple of games before some of the very youngest players were born...not sure on that one.

Meh...
beaker.gif
beaker.gif
beaker.gif

Last edited:

Yah, I guess you're right about that and I certainly also feel the pain when they lose. I guess I was just thinking about how never having played in a college football game and lost I can't imagine how it would feel. I assumed that the emotions that come with actually playing in and losing a college football game would be stronger than watching your team lose the same game... but I can understand how that may not be the case! ...and it also makes sense. So good point! :thumbsup:

Yep, which also goes back to the thread I started yesterday and the AD's concerted effort to demonize the fans.

C'mon, pardon the AD for not thanking all the blue people for efforts protesting how they're doing their job and lobbying for their head coach to be fired. Even if that wasn't the "purpose" of the blue out, perception may trump reality in this case because if the "purpose" of the blue out has to be explained over and over again to convince people it wasn't a protest of the team, then the message wasn't effectively put out there. The blue out works if everyone knows why you're doing it, and that is clearly not the case here.

It seems like the blue out folks want a big collective pat on the back, but I don't see how anything productive came out of it.

C'mon, pardon the AD for not thanking all the blue people for efforts protesting how they're doing their job and lobbying for their head coach to be fired. Even if that wasn't the "purpose" of the blue out, perception may trump reality in this case because if the "purpose" of the blue out has to be explained over and over again to convince people it wasn't a protest of the team, then the message wasn't effectively put out there. The blue out works if everyone knows why you're doing it, and that is clearly not the case here.

It seems like the blue out folks want a big collective pat on the back, but I don't see how anything productive came out of it.
no we don't want a pat on the back. Next?

I haven't seen anyone asking for a pat on the back. I have seen the University trying their best to spin the story and their typical attempt to stomp on anything that does not bow down and worship everything CU.

I did think it was funny that my aunt from Denver said to me on Saturday, when she arrived in town "How did the blue out look on TV?"

Hey buddy... you can call it "maternal-like defense of the fragile psyches of this youngest generation of Buffs" and I'll call it not wanting to be perceived as being critical of the players themselves. I'm not coddling anything just disagreeing with fans using what I consider to be negative reinforcement as "some sense" of motivation.

Ceasar Milan might agree with you. I recognize you are training a puppy and all, but to me this arguement is edging ever nearer into juicebox territory.

Keeping score is a form negative reinforcement. The inclusion of losing team records in the media guide is a form of negative reinforcement.

Besides, since when is being critical the same thing as being disrespectful? A true and loyal fan is there to give constructive critism. How that critism is accepted says an awful lot about the character of the recipient.

These are players, not puppies.

When do we get to the part of the discussion when we address the coaches, the CUAD and the University leadership?

Ceasar Milan might agree with you. I recognize you are training a puppy and all, but to me this arguement is edging ever nearer into juicebox territory.

Keeping score is a form negative reinforcement. The inclusion of losing team records in the media guide is a form of negative reinforcement.

Besides, since when is being critical the same thing as being disrespectful? A true and loyal fan is there to give constructive critism. How that critism is accepted says an awful lot about the character of the recipient.

When do we get to the part of the discussion when we address the coaches, the CUAD and the University leadership?
Hawk had a quote about how the team was a puppy last year... I think you may be onto something. :cool:

If the AD is going to act this way towards the people who pay the bills (a lot more than 200 of whom were wearing blue at the game on Saturday), there will be less people around to pay the bills. Would the AD prefer empty seats and unsold tickets instead?

I think it's a stupid tactic to take, and I think going down this road will hurt the AD in the long run.

BTW, I did not wear blue.

Last edited:

Agree that the message wasn't clear.
Disagree anyone wants a pat on the back.
We all want the same thing, and it's called success.
Wouldn't we all rather be going into Ames at 6-3 instead of at 3-6?
Don't we all believe in the concept of accountability?

No, Ceasar Milan would agree with you!!

Earlier I said I felt like it could be equated to booing the coaching staff in that it can also be misconstrued and is a little too negative, in my book, for a college football team. That's the way I feel... I guess we can call that juicebox territory if that works for you!

(Also, I hope you can see that the "blue out" wasn't really constructive criticism.)

If the AD is going to act this way towards the people who pay the bills (a lot more than 200 of whom were wearing blue at the game on Saturday), there will be less people around to pay the bills. Would the AD prefer empty seats and unsold tickets instead?

I think it's a stupid tactic to take, and I think going down this road will hurt the AD in the long run.

BTW, I did not wear blue.

Agreed... Definitely a stupid tactic. He shouldn't have lied about the numbers...

Plati hates message boards

I've had discussions with Plati in the past about this. What he's told me is that he strongly dislikes the anonymity and free-for-all, anything goes postings on most message boards. Anyone can start a rumor that could potentially do harm to the university. Anyone can falsely accuse anyone else of doing just about anything. Those are his primary reasons for strongly disliking the message board community, and I can't say I fault him for that. Then there's that whole smitty thing, but I won't go into that. :smile2:

9-10 years ago when message boards & fan sites were really starting to take off, this was a very serious problem. While there still exists a lot of what he dislikes, today's message board communities are typically made up of long-time users who get to know each other and communally work to police postings & wade through the **** that's real vs. simply made up.

I truly hope he revisits his stance, and gives today's message board community a look.

No, Ceasar Milan would agree with you!!

Earlier I said I felt like it could be equated to booing the coaching staff in that it can also be misconstrued and is a little too negative, in my book, for a college football team. That's the way I feel... I guess we can call that juicebox territory if that works for you!

(Also, I hope you can see that the "blue out" wasn't really constructive criticism.)

I'll save discussions about Ceasar Milan and his position on when to use negative reinforcement for an other thread.

And yes, I do recognize that wearing blue is not the same thing as constructive critism. I was merely refering to your assertion in an earlier post that equated wearing blue with being critical. I think we can take this point off the table. :cool:

Finally, is wearing blue the same thing as booing? I suppose it comes as no surprise that I would disagree with you on that point.

Personally I refrain from booing. I did wear blue under my CU Black and Gold hawaiian shirt on Saturday at the Alumni watch party down here in Texas. It was a symbol of disatisfaction that fell far short of being nasty.

At the end of they day, I respect people's personal choices to boo or wear blue because both are honest forms of expression.

Is there a better way to voice fan frustration about how our Colorado Buffaloes have fallen into the basement of D1 football than CU Blue? Although it's not a perfect option, it's the best one I've seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll save discussions about Ceasar Milan and his position on when to use negative reinforcement for an other thread.

And yes, I do recognize that wearing blue is not the same thing as constructive critism. I was merely refering to your assertion in an earlier post that equated wearing blue with being critical. I think we can take this point off the table. :cool:

Finally, is wearing blue the same thing as booing? I suppose it comes as no surprise that I would disagree with you on that point.

Personally I refrain from booing. I did wear blue under my CU Black and Gold hawaiian shirt on Saturday at the Alumni watch party down here in Texas. It was a symbol of disatisfaction that fell far short of being nasty.

At the end of they day, I respect people's personal choices to boo or wear blue because both are honest forms of expression.

Is there a better way to voice fan frustration about how our Colorado Buffaloes have fallen into the basement of D1 football than CU Blue? Although it's not a perfect option, it's the best one I've seen.

I guess I can't argue anything you've said... I mean, we disagree and that's pretty much that. Of course I won't disrespect anyone who chooses to go out there (or get out there) and root on our Buffs no matter how they do it... we are all in this boat together.

Anyway, I've made my point, expressed my views, and shared my thoughts on the matter and I guess that's all I really wanted to do! Thanks for engaging me in the discussion.

I guess I can't argue anything you've said... I mean, we disagree and that's pretty much that. Of course I won't disrespect anyone who chooses to go out there (or get out there) and root on our Buffs no matter how they do it... we are all in this boat together.

Anyway, I've made my point, expressed my views, and shared my thoughts on the matter and I guess that's all I really wanted to do! Thanks for engaging me in the discussion.

:drink2:

PS. Do you think Ceasar Milan know anything about coaching special teams?

I've had discussions with Plati in the past about this. What he's told me is that he strongly dislikes the anonymity and free-for-all, anything goes postings on most message boards. Anyone can start a rumor that could potentially do harm to the university. Anyone can falsely accuse anyone else of doing just about anything. Those are his primary reasons for strongly disliking the message board community, and I can't say I fault him for that. Then there's that whole smitty thing, but I won't go into that. :smile2:

9-10 years ago when message boards & fan sites were really starting to take off, this was a very serious problem. While there still exists a lot of what he dislikes, today's message board communities are typically made up of long-time users who get to know each other and communally work to police postings & wade through the **** that's real vs. simply made up.

I truly hope he revisits his stance, and gives today's message board community a look.

The reasons he dislikes them are all the more incentive to make an effort to mitigate the risk. What better place than to dispel the rumors than at the source. To me, it seems like an effective and efficient way to get the message out.

Back