What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

So we need to root for OK State to get in the RPI top 50 right?

Tractor

Club Member
Club Member
They currently sit at 55.

We currently have a 4-5 record against the RPI top 50 (Curse you aTm), with Kansas and Texas coming up.

A 4-7 record isn't terrible, but not grand. I think 5-7 would be rather respectable.

BTW: CSU is currently 2-3 against the RPI top 50 with a win over SMU (50th). They still have 3 left. 1 against UNLV who they beat, and then @BYU and @SDSU. Best case scenario, they beat UNLV again and SMU stays in the top 50, 3-5. Worst case, they lose to UNLV, and SMU drops out of the top 50, 1-6. Are either of those really that much better than 4-7?

I vote we cheer for OK State and against SMU. Beating Texas would be siiiiiccccckkkk! Lets go Buffs!

Problem with cheering for Oklahoma State is it's a Catch-22. We don't want them to finish ahead of us in the Big 12 and get our bid.

what about the KU KSU game? A win by KSU makes our win over them look better, but we want KU to be ranked highly when we go play them right?

what about the KU KSU game? A win by KSU makes our win over them look better, but we want KU to be ranked highly when we go play them right?

Lets have KU win tonight, then have us go in there Saturday, beat them as #1 in the country, then follow it up with a win over the #1 Texas team the next weekend !!!!

we need as few teams at 8-8 (if we should get there) as possible esp. if they have a much better rpi (which will likely be the case). amazingly KSU, is 0-6 i think against rpi top 50 but is rpi 40 or so....though right now today they count as two of our W's against rpi top 50. i think sweeping the series against them makes them less dangerous to us than BU or maybe Pokey State.

an ATM W sure would have helped in that regard....but, shoulda, woulda, coulda

Fraschilla seems to think NU can make a run IIRC

Last edited:
Problem with cheering for Oklahoma State is it's a Catch-22. We don't want them to finish ahead of us in the Big 12 and get our bid.

Our bid to what? I doubt that CU bid to the NCAA in the works unless they win the Big 12 tourney in which case we don't care what happens. CU just needs to take care of business.

KU - L
UT - L
TT - ? Crucial game. This is on the road and TT is going to be looking at this as a winnable game.
ISU - ? Just like the TT game. I do not predict wins on any road games. CU should win this but it is on the road.
NU - W.

Barring a deep run in the Big 12 tournament our only chance of getting in the NCAA tourney is to go 4-1 down the stretch, and even with that we'd need to win at least 1 game in the conference tournament.

we could go 0-5 down the stretch, then run the tournament and get an automatic birth... just sayin

Barring a deep run in the Big 12 tournament our only chance of getting in the NCAA tourney is to go 4-1 down the stretch, and even with that we'd need to win at least 1 game in the conference tournament.

and not lose the 2nd game to a BU, NU, or OSU type team also "on the bubble".

Don't misunderstand me. (Edit: Especially since i kind of mixed this thread up with the Final 5 one. :lol:)

Having a 20 win season and playing in the postseason are important milestones for the program. That's major progress. We haven't done that since the 2005-06 season and that one ended with such a whimper (blown out in the 1st round of the NIT). I would just always prefer the NCAA to the NIT.

Not coincidentally, that 05-06 season was the last time we had a frontcourt player average 10+ points and 5+ rebounds at CU. I had kind of forgotten what a nice player Chris Copeland was for us. Anyone know what he's up to these days?

losing the Baylor and A&M games hurt so much and even San Fran. We should have had all 3.

We still have opportunities to make the tournament things need to start bouncing our way and a few lucky breaks here and there like against KSU.

BINGO-

got to win 4 out of the last 5 ...if not CU's only shot is to win the Big 12 tourney

We need to get to 21 wins with a winning record over our last 5. It's pretty much that simple.

That could mean 3-2 down the stretch with 2 wins in the Big 12 tourney.

That could mean 4-1 down the stretch with 1 win in the Big 12 tourney.

That could mean 5-0 down the stretch and the Big 12 tourney wouldn't matter.

If we pull that off and don't make the tourney, then it was an injustice.

We need to get to 21 wins with a winning record over our last 5. It's pretty much that simple.

I don't know who said it, but I think it was Boulder Buff who said that a true tournament team doesn't lose at home to A&M. A true tournament team finds a way to win that game. I agree. I don't think this is a tournament worthy basketball team. I still hope they make it. However, if they do, it will be because of the fact that the Big 12 has beaten itself to death over the last two months.

I just don't think it's that simple. If we go 3-2 with those 2 losses being to KU and UT and then beat a couple of teams like ISU and Baylor in the conference tournament I don't think that would be enough. I'll keep saying it, our record is visibly short of any high quality wins. I don't see a resume built on an 8-8 conference record with 2 wins over KSU, a win over Mizzou, and a neutral court win over a team like Baylor as being strong enough to get us in.

I just don't think it's that simple. If we go 3-2 with those 2 losses being to KU and UT and then beat a couple of teams like ISU and Baylor in the conference tournament I don't think that would be enough. I'll keep saying it, our record is visibly short of any high quality wins. I don't see a resume built on an 8-8 conference record with 2 wins over KSU, a win over Mizzou, and a neutral court win over a team like Baylor as being strong enough to get us in.

As it turns out, CSU is also an RPI top 50. So is OSU. If they can hang on but CU is able to pass them, we've got a pretty good resume.

As it turns out, CSU is also an RPI top 50. So is OSU. If they can hang on but CU is able to pass them, we've got a pretty good resume.

Yes but our RPI is currently 92. Granted it will climb just by playing KU and UT even if we lose those games, but it will need to at least get into the 50's for us to have a shot at an at-large bid. Bottom line is I don't think our RPI would climb high enough unless we can knock off KU or UT.

Back