What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

So we run the ball better this season

Duff Man

Club Member
Club Member
Junta Member
But have only eight touchdowns from our RBs in nine games. Can this get better next season? Adkins and TJ lead the way with three right now, way too low IMO.

Have to wonder if the staff is really serious about that 60-40 run pass ratio they claim to prefer. I just don't think they really do. This is a passing offense first and foremost.

Have to wonder if the staff is really serious about that 60-40 run pass ratio they claim to prefer. I just don't think they really do. This is a passing offense first and foremost.

They are playing to the players strengths.

They are playing to the players strengths.

Are they? I think I'd rather see Adkins get 20+ carries a game and a few less throws from Sefo at this point. The prior excuse to this was that we had to throw because we were behind, but vs UW we were ahead, Adkins was wrecking, and we went with a ton of passes anyway.

+1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't have the personnel up front to push a goalline defense. We have a FB and a FB/TB hybrid who could do more than their share, but one of those has been forced to do too much in the last 2.5 years to make up for run blocking deficiencies and the toll on his body has been beyond me wanting to force him to do any more. We are stuck calling plays for what we have.

Are they? I think I'd rather see Adkins get 20+ carries a game and a few less throws from Sefo at this point. The prior excuse to this was that we had to throw because we were behind, but vs UW we were ahead, Adkins was wrecking, and we went with a ton of passes anyway.
I agree. The read option is worthless if the QB is not a threat to run. The few times Sefo has kept the ball he runs inside, he is gawky and not fast enough to be perimeter threat. Any stretch play with Pow is wrong, he isn't fast or elusive. Adkins works for most running plays. The counters he has run have been productive, usually. The real problem is the Oline. The run game starts there.

Adkins should be getting 25-30 touches right now. He is by far the most effective and actually will hit a hole. He falls forward and gains yards after contact. Nobody else is close to him. We might have more if he would be used as a workhorse.

Don't have the personnel up front to push a goalline defense. We have a FB and a FB/TB hybrid who could do more than their share, but one of those has been forced to do too much in the last 2.5 years to make up for run blocking deficiencies and the toll on his body has been beyond me wanting to force him to do any more. We are stuck calling plays for what we have.

This is a big key. When teams know that we are trying to run the ball in scoring situations we don't get any push up front. Especially on the interior we don't move anybody enough to put the ball in the endzone. Of course it doesn't help that a lot of those tries earlier on came using 170lb running backs but even those guys can score given room and there wasn't any.

I am hoping that next year we are stronger in the line than this year. Irwin is a soph who missed all last year with an injury that also effectively keep him out of the weight room. He's show some nasty this year so if he can add some strength to go with that he could be a quality run blocker.

Kelley is also a soph who was not highly developed physically when he got here, another candidate for a big step forward in the strength department.

Kough showed some good signs a couple weeks ago and Kronsage while making a lot of mistakes held up physically Saturday, Both could play key rolls and again are still young and developing.

I'm not sold on Nembot but he is getting better in pass blocking but in run blocking has always had the physical tools to move people.

I also don't believe that Callahan is going to be sitting on the bench next year and he is more physical that guys we have played this year.

Overall we will still be young but we should be able to expect to see better run blocking next year. If the staff can develop some confidence in Adkins and use him I think we could be much better in terms of effectively running the ball.

Adkins appears to have fully recovered from his early season problems, but I think 20 carries is more reasonable at this stage. TJ and Pow should be splitting the remaining carries. Lindsay has shown flashes but needs another year to develop. The line has been getting better, but the blocking scheme on short yardage needs some work as we currently aren't capable of out muscling a DL.

Unless TJ gets a screen pass, I would support his not touching the ball again. The guy dances and will not go North and South. He also goes down at the first hint of contact. He would be my last option at this point. He is a senior that has not produced and will add nothing to next year.

Unless TJ gets a screen pass, I would support his not touching the ball again. The guy dances and will not go North and South. He also goes down at the first hint of contact. He would be my last option at this point. He is a senior that has not produced and will add nothing to next year.
I think TJ has been the second best RB so far this season. Obviously Adkins first.

I think Powell is playing scared right now, can't blame him. It seems the coaching staff is trying to give him confidence by getting him the ball in space to help him get that confidence back instead of him pounding it up the middle.

I thought I remember Lindgren saying he wanted closer to a 50-50 ratio?

I know he ****ed up badly, but I think Lindsay has a lot of potential. Kid runs hard. JUST HOLD ON TO THE BALL!!!!!

Based on how Florida got back into the win column last week, running the ball more seems like a pretty good idea.

They also have a 5* OL across the board and stud RBs.

So are you suggesting that our line and our backs are without, and can't be better utilized improving our chance to get another win this season?
Because that is the point I am trying to make.

So are you suggesting that our line and our backs are without, and can't be better utilized improving our chance to get another win this season?
Because that is the point I am trying to make.

Do I believe we should run the ball more with MA2, yes. Do I think running is our big concern, no?

If you have a guy who only gets 13 carries or so and gets you 100, he needs the ball more period. When we have a lead, run it if it's working.

I think that is the ideal in an even game. Sadly, when you end most 1st quarters down 17 points it changes plans.

Agree 100%!

It is a pass-first offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe we are planning on running like 80% of the time the last three games to get the balance... [sarcasm]

Not sure why we get short pass happy during games. It is effective when it's used intermittently, but ineffective when it's our primary attack. Honestly, the run/pass ratio isn't a major adjustment, you're talking about 5-10 calls a game difference.

Keys to offense (IMO non-expert opinion):
1) 50/50 run/pass split
2) Take an occasional shot down field to keep the defense honest
3) QB has to go through his progressions and not 'lock in' on Spruce

The team is playing it's best ball since early 2005. The W/L aren't there, but the three factors above played a role in a few of our losses.

Agree 100%!

It is a pass-first offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

san jose st was pass happy as well when they went 11-1.... i think sefo will become more of a running threat as time goes on...needs to be quicker in his decision when to take off with zero hesitation... he will never be mariota but who is. i did cringe once when he slid after a 3 yard gain when he still had more yards to pickup... ( i say this because we only have a few games left and we are winless in conf)

Back