What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

So what's the deal with Shane Callahan?

A bit early to ask this question. Didn't he also have some personal issues? If we see him on the field (or not) this year we can see his growth, or lack thereof.

Don't the former OL guys say it's hard to just show up and gel with the other OL. A skill guy who is gifted can come in and make a bigger impact immediately. OL need to know their assignments, something we weren't great at when running (or have nasty streaks).

A bit early to ask this question. Didn't he also have some personal issues? If we see him on the field (or not) this year we can see his growth, or lack thereof.

Don't the former OL guys say it's hard to just show up and gel with the other OL. A skill guy who is gifted can come in and make a bigger impact immediately. OL need to know their assignments, something we weren't great at when running (or have nasty streaks).

He did have a situation in his family that was a significant part of why he returned to Colorado. He has kept the details of that situation private so I will honor that wish and not go into it any further. It would be very reasonable to expect that he was distracted to some extent by that situation.

You are also correct in that a big part of playing OL involves the coordination with the other players as well as both understanding the assignments and being able to execute those assignments in concert with the other players. It has a lot to do with space and timing. FlaBuff could probably explain it better as it relates to the college level.

Bottom line is that it is very usual for even very good offensive linemen to need some time to adjust to the college game and their teams. We have been a bit of an exception because in recent years we have been so short on talent that a large number of guys have been forced into action earlier than they would have been in most other programs.

I still have high expectations for Callahan and expect him to eventually be a quality starter for us. If he doesn't start this season it probably says more about the other guys we have now in the program than it does about Shane.

I remember Callahan did really well at our so called spring game, He shot off like a rocket in his Oklahoma drill and had the Pac 12 guys gushing about it. I didn't notice much about Huckins so can't comment on that.

I remember Callahan did really well at our so called spring game, He shot off like a rocket in his Oklahoma drill and had the Pac 12 guys gushing about it. I didn't notice much about Huckins so can't comment on that.

I remember that as well. Its taken some time for him to fit in, as would be expected, especially since he moved inside since coming back.

I expect he'll start or be first off the bench in a rotation at guard.

I remember that as well. Its taken some time for him to fit in, as would be expected, especially since he moved inside since coming back.

I expect he'll start or be first off the bench in a rotation at guard.
Really going out on a limb with that prediction ain't ya

Really going out on a limb with that prediction ain't ya
Hey Ive heard otherwise when it comes to Callahan being the second or third off the bench. Lisella is practicing at all positions other than center and may be the first off the bench.

Hey Ive heard otherwise when it comes to Callahan being the second or third off the bench. Lisella is practicing at all positions other than center and may be the first off the bench.

I've heard rave reviews about Lisella too... granted, I heard them from you... but still. I'm excited about him.

Back