What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

So...who's our rival?

**** Arizona, I'm not sure why I feel so strongly but seriously **** them. Man I was really hoping basketball could stay good and both football programs could find a way to be relevant to build a legit rivalry across sports. Outside of that Utah will eventually become our rival. Hopefully sooner than later because CSU is our rivalry game and that blows cottage cheese load.

Any basis in reality or just your hope? Zona already has a rival, just like every other team in the p12. So does/did Utah. You can have more than one rival but I don't see Zona. And I don't think Zona is looking at CU.

Wishful thinking. Until we win meaningful games we won't have a rival. As an earlier poster alluded to: geography plays a major role in developing rivalries. Therefore my guess is that Utah and/or Zona become our true rivals down the road.

Personally I'd love to keep playing ****Braska on a yearly basis in a manner similar to some of the ACC-SEC annual rivalries

Any basis in reality or just your hope? Zona already has a rival, just like every other team in the p12. So does/did Utah. You can have more than one rival but I don't see Zona. And I don't think Zona is looking at CU.
NU had a rival too. They still became ours.

With that history in mind, the ****ing condoms will be our rival. In twenty years, we will hate them the way we did ****braska in 2001. Their fans aren't polyester wearing meth addicts who wear red, but rather cocaine snorting douchebags that also wear red.

**** them. I can't wait to throw a piss balloon at one of their kids, and push one of their grandmothers down the Folsom stairs.

They'll scoff at us for a few years, and then deny that they really want to win that game and generally try and downplay it. But they will learn to both hate and fear the black and gold.

Any other team in the conference is below our dignity.

NU had a rival too. They still became ours.

With that history in mind, the ****ing condoms will be our rival. In twenty years, we will hate them the way we did ****braska in 2001. Their fans aren't polyester wearing meth addicts who wear red, but rather cocaine snorting douchebags that also wear red.

**** them. I can't wait to throw a piss balloon at one of their kids, and push one of their grandmothers down the Folsom stairs.

They'll scoff at us for a few years, and then deny that they really want to win that game and generally try and downplay it. But they will learn to both hate and fear the black and gold.

Any other team in the conference is below our dignity.
Nebraska as an ooc game on T+1 is the way to go. Classic game. Maybe even better as an ooc game, like Texas Oklahoma for so long. Fsu and Florida, notre dame and sc. Keep CSU but move it home and home. Thats critical to build the nastiness. Mike high corporate atmosphere sucks the life out of that game. Ramie fans getting the rude treatment in Boulder would rekindle the hate quickly.

It's still Nebraska.

But in the meantime, let's just not pull a UCONN and make one up:

(via Wikipedia) In June 2015, Connecticut created a trophy for the rivalry and announced it on Twitter. UCF had not been involved in the announcement and was unaware of it beforehand. The Knights head coach and interim athletic director George O'Leary dismissed both the trophy and the motivations for a rivalry between the two teams. Diaco responded by saying, "They [UCF] don't get to say whether they are our rival or not." The New York Post said that Diaco created the "worst rivalry in sports history."

****braska as an ooc game on T+1 is the way to go. Classic game. Maybe even better as an ooc game, like Texas Oklahoma for so long. Fsu and Florida, notre dame and sc. Keep CSU but move it home and home. Thats critical to build the nastiness. Mike high corporate atmosphere sucks the life out of that game. Ramie fans getting the rude treatment in Boulder would rekindle the hate quickly.
let me get this straight: you want to play a 9-game Pac-12 schedule, plus NU, plus CSU, plus only one other team every year?

That's idiotic scheduling. It's just stupid.

UT/OU survived as an OOC game for so long because they had 4 or 5 OOC games to fill. If you only have 3 OOC games, you cannot permanently have one, let alone two of them against a single team, it just doesn't work.

USC and Stanford play Notre Dame every year on top of a 9-game conference slate.

It's not unprecedented for a P12 school to voluntarily schedule a big OOC rival every year.

Personally I'm happier not seeing the Nubs and the Rams scheduled each and every year. I could live with a home and home where the buffs face each of these teams once every 3 or 4 years.

Having 1 or 2 big boy teams on the schedule every year doesn't scare me. Over the past five seasons the thinking on the board has been to schedule nothing but cupcakes in order to help CU regain bowl eligibility. Given the results on the field, this strategy backfired spectacularly. It didn't lead to bowls. It did lead to difficulty for CU fans to watch on TV, and worst of all, it led to losses against the likes of Toledo, Montana State, Sac State, and a few ugly wins against Eastern Wash and UMass. Playing Fresno and Hawaii has done CU no favors, either. CU's previous cupcake OOC slate has really only helped dig the hole deeper.

Whoever we're playing in a given week.....so this week its Washington State. You need stuff like the debacle in the desert to happen for rivalries to start.

let me get this straight: you want to play a 9-game Pac-12 schedule, plus NU, plus CSU, plus only one other team every year?

That's idiotic scheduling. It's just stupid.

UT/OU survived as an OOC game for so long because they had 4 or 5 OOC games to fill. If you only have 3 OOC games, you cannot permanently have one, let alone two of them against a single team, it just doesn't work.

So you're saying you'd rather pay to see a Nichols state game rotated with Northwest Arkansas or some other crap school vs. the traditional Nebraska game every year?

USC and Stanford play Notre Dame every year on top of a 9-game conference slate.

It's not unprecedented for a P12 school to voluntarily schedule a big OOC rival every year.

Personally I'm happier not seeing the Nubs and the Rams scheduled each and every year. I could live with a home and home where the buffs face each of these teams once every 3 or 4 years.

Having 1 or 2 big boy teams on the schedule every year doesn't scare me. Over the past five seasons the thinking on the board has been to schedule nothing but cupcakes in order to help CU regain bowl eligibility. Given the results on the field, this strategy backfired spectacularly. It didn't lead to bowls. It did lead to difficulty for CU fans to watch on TV, and worst of all, it led to losses against the likes of Toledo, Montana State, Sac State, and a few ugly wins against Eastern Wash and UMass. Playing Fresno and Hawaii has done CU no favors, either. CU's previous cupcake OOC slate has really only helped dig the hole deeper.

I'd rather see Nebraska every single year, but I agree with everything else. Playing D2 schools does nothing but drain energy from the program in my opinion. I'm guessing it does nothing to excite potential difference-making recruits either. Not exactly the big time.

I kind of see one starting with USC out there. The last few games have been shellacking until last week.
If we can win a game or two against them it will spark some sort of something.

I kind of see one starting with USC out there. The last few games have been shellacking until last week.
If we can win a game or two against them it will spark some sort of something.

That's not really what creates rivalries. Everyone has 12 games on their schedule. Gotta be something deeper, usually deeper than just football. Look at KU/MU game. That's some deep $hit right there. Typically it's in-state or border states. Huskers living among us with their oversize N decals on their oversize trucks. The neighbor's big Husker flag on his house. It's in your face. Husker radio shows on your dial in Colorado. Why are they here if Nebraska is so great? Cultural differences between the two states. That's the wonderful soil that breeds the authentic "hate".

Last edited:
That's not really what creates rivalries. Everyone has 12 games on their schedule. Gotta be something deeper, usually deeper than just football. Look at KU/MU game. That's some deep $hit right there. Typically it's in-state or border states. Huskers living among us, with their oversize N decals on their oversize trucks. The neighbor's big Husker flag on his house. It's in your face. Husker radio shows on your dial, in Colorado. Why are they here if ****braska is so great? Cultural differences between the two states. That's the wonderful soil that breeds the authentic "hate".
That can be part of it. But it's not necessary. You can have a rivalry without it. See Broncos/Raiders or USC/Notre Dame. And it's not sufficient by itself. All of that was true prior to 1984, but NU wasn't our "rival."

The rivalry was born because we stopped them from winning championships, and vice-versa. How many more Big-8, Big-12 and even MNCs would we have won without losses to NU? How many more would they have won without losses to CU? It's not necessarily that both teams were so good for so long, but rather that, even in their "down" years, one team or the other would take down the other one during an "up" year. [And that, incidentally, is why we may be close to gaining "rival" status in Utah's eyes - if we win that game this year, it will be two times since we both joined the conference that we've prevented them from winning the Pac-12 South. That would start to generate some hate...]

That can be part of it. But it's not necessary. You can have a rivalry without it. See Broncos/Raiders or USC/Notre Dame. And it's not sufficient by itself. All of that was true prior to 1984, but NU wasn't our "rival."

The rivalry was born because we stopped them from winning championships, and vice-versa. How many more Big-8, Big-12 and even MNCs would we have won without losses to NU? How many more would they have won without losses to CU? It's not necessarily that both teams were so good for so long, but rather that, even in their "down" years, one team or the other would take down the other one during an "up" year. [And that, incidentally, is why we may be close to gaining "rival" status in Utah's eyes - if we win that game this year, it will be two times since we both joined the conference that we've prevented them from winning the Pac-12 South. That would start to generate some hate...]

Agreed, but that takes years and years to develop. SC has major rivalries with UCLA and ND, and Cal/Stanford could also be considered second tier rivals for SC. If CU wants a p12 rival anytime soon there needs to be an "event", like a Carrol/Harbaugh "what's your deal?" handshake after a meaningful game. Another tried and true route is pelting opposing team and fans with snowballs after/during a chippy game. Not really possible anywhere else in p12 save Utah and maybe wsu?

Is that you on the bumps?

Back