What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Something's up RE: Pac-16

I will still maintain that it is probably in the Pac 10's and Big XII's (Texas') interest to tear apart the MWC. Pac takes Utah, Big XII takes BYU and TCU.

Voila -- no MWC BCS auto-invite (more potential BCS $ for Pac 10); Pac 10 domination of everywhere West of Kansas; Big XII hobbled, but at least Texas not in the Big 10 or SEC.

I kind of have a feeling this is the way it's going to shake out. Quite frankly I want no part of A&M, Tech, or Okie State. And, at least as far as A&M goes, I think they want no part of the Pac 10. Why invite a school who doesn't want to be there?

And Boise State is still screwed even if they go to the MWC! :lol::lol::lol:

Losing the extra cash would suck and the 9 -10 mil forgone revenue would really hurt but honestly I could give a **** about what Texas or any of these other ****ers do! CU made my wish come true today and I got the conference I wanted so the rest is just pure entertainment for me. Things have finally started looking up for CU athletics in the past couple of months with the new practice facility breaking ground, possible Yankee CU game, and good Mens BB hire given circumstances with Boyle (I know we haven't played a single game but like the recruiting, Burks save and Billups addition) and best of all now a GREATconference. We now have assurance that CU will be a player no matter what happens in the new landscape of college football and won't be on the outside looking in. Right now I'm just going to take a step back and be happy for how far we have come since the day after the NU game because I think that no matter what happens, CU has a bright future ahead. What a difference a few months makes!!! Go Buffs!!!

If only we had a new coach to break in over the next two years in advance of our new league.

Imagine if the Pac 11 only added UT to become the Pac 12. Think about what it would do for our recruiting in Texas if UT was our paired rival.

This isn't completely out of the realm of possibility. It could have happened in 1994 (aTm wanted the SEC back then) and it could happen now.

FWIW, just heard on the radio in Phoenix that the SEC has issued invites to A&M and Va Tech. Meanwhile, OU is supposedly petitioning the SEC for an invite and, as we've heard elsewhere, UT and A&M are petitioning the Big X for an invite.

The Pac-10 must have a plan B in place in the event that the other 5 say no, which appears like a real possibility now. Is that plan just 1 more school like Utah or KU, or does it involve a handful of other schools to still get to 16 teams??

The Pac-10 must have a plan B in place in the event that the other 5 say no, which appears like a real possibility now. Is that plan just 1 more school like Utah or KU, or does it involve a handful of other schools to still get to 16 teams??

I'd be surprised if Larry Scott did not have plans b, c, and d all lned up. He's been very shrewd so far. He is probably correct in saying that no other invitations have been handed out to Big XII schools, because he is sitting there waiting to see what Texas (and A&M) does. If we (the Pac 10) could add Texas and call it a day, we would. If Texas wants to try to revive the Big XII, my guess is that Utah, KU + one other would get Pac 10 (14) invites pretty quick, and then Texas could try to have the Big XII wobble on for a few more years with the likes of BYU, Memphis, etc. And then, finally, when that ultimately fails, they'll agree to go to the Pac 10 (Pac 14), but hopefully from a more humble position (and yes, A&M is gone to the SEC).

But this is all in my mind. To me, the chances of A&M joining the Pac 10 are very remote, adding one (Utah) more likely, and adding 5 w/o A&M (Texas, Tech, OU, OSU, and pick one -- Kansas or Utah), the most likely scenario.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- High level sources in multiple conferences have told KCTV5 that Texas and Texas A&M are looking to move to the Big Ten Conference and are in talks to join the conference, while the University of Oklahoma is planning on petitioning the Southeastern Conference to become a member of its conference.

KCTV5's sources said that Texas and Texas A&M do not have to include Texas Tech or Baylor in their plans. Sources told KCTV5 that there have already been discussions about the two schools entering the Big Ten and that the agreement could be made as soon as Thursday.

Oklahoma is currently working on petitioning to enter the SEC, but must find another university to enter the league with them, sources said. TMZ Sports has reported that Oklahoma State is likely to accept a bid to move to the Pac-10. Earlier Thursday, Colorado accepted an invitation to join the Pac-10.

790 the Zone in Atlanta reported Thursday afternoon that the SEC is offering invitations to Texas A&M and Virginia Tech to join the conference.

KCTV5's sources also said that some Big 12 officials are saying decisions on which deals Big 12 schools take invitations by the end of the day Thursday, although the deals may not be officially announced.

Those decisions would leave the University of Kansas, Kansas State University and the University of Missouri with Baylor, Texas Tech and Iowa State in the Big 12. The Missouri Board of Curators met Thursday and planned to meet Friday to discuss the future of Missouri sports.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- High level sources in multiple conferences have told KCTV5 that Texas and Texas A&M are looking to move to the Big Ten Conference and are in talks to join the conference, while the University of Oklahoma is planning on petitioning the Southeastern Conference to become a member of its conference.

KCTV5's sources said that Texas and Texas A&M do not have to include Texas Tech or Baylor in their plans. Sources told KCTV5 that there have already been discussions about the two schools entering the Big Ten and that the agreement could be made as soon as Thursday.

Oklahoma is currently working on petitioning to enter the SEC, but must find another university to enter the league with them, sources said. TMZ Sports has reported that Oklahoma State is likely to accept a bid to move to the Pac-10. Earlier Thursday, Colorado accepted an invitation to join the Pac-10.

790 the Zone in Atlanta reported Thursday afternoon that the SEC is offering invitations to Texas A&M and Virginia Tech to join the conference.

KCTV5's sources also said that some Big 12 officials are saying decisions on which deals Big 12 schools take invitations by the end of the day Thursday, although the deals may not be officially announced.

Those decisions would leave the University of Kansas, Kansas State University and the University of Missouri with Baylor, Texas Tech and Iowa State in the Big 12. The Missouri Board of Curators met Thursday and planned to meet Friday to discuss the future of Missouri sports.

This is Missouri's wet dream....and for the third time today, out of Austin, UT and A&M ARE NOT petitioning the B10 for an invite.

The Pac new CU would come on board and 'braska will split. This move has put more pressure on UT, IMO. That was the intent of getting CU on board. Now, maybe, the Big XII will find a couple of replacements and stay in tact, but doubtful. I doubt the Pac is making these moves without having a very good idea what the other schools are going to do.

Agreed.

I'd be surprised if Larry Scott did not have plans b, c, and d all lned up. He's been very shrewd so far. He is probably correct in saying that no other invitations have been handed out to Big XII schools, because he is sitting there waiting to see what Texas (and A&M) does. If we (the Pac 10) could add Texas and call it a day, we would. If Texas wants to try to revive the Big XII, my guess is that Utah, KU + one other would get Pac 10 (14) invites pretty quick, and then Texas could try to have the Big XII wobble on for a few more years with the likes of BYU, Memphis, etc. And then, finally, when that ultimately fails, they'll agree to go to the Pac 10 (Pac 14), but hopefully from a more humble position (and yes, A&M is gone to the SEC).

But this is all in my mind. To me, the chances of A&M joining the Pac 10 are very remote, adding one (Utah) more likely, and adding 5 w/o A&M (Texas, Tech, OU, OSU, and pick one -- Kansas or Utah), the most likely scenario.

I think the B12S minus Baylor and aTm could be intriguing, with an addition of Boise State. How I would love watching UBT having to avoid a brain hemmorage during the RR Rivalry and the smurf turfers every year...

that super pac would have quite a few names. aTmers are quirky, and probably would fit better with the sec. still, i would not count them out of the pac, if the nubs bolt.

Lot's of speculation, I have a couple thoughts:

1. CU left for the Pac 10 because it's the right place for them to be. I doubt money was within the top few factors when it came down it.

2. I doubt Texas takes on the SEC. I think they want to be the top billing, not somewhere on the undercard. They could take advantage of the Big12. Schools like Baylor, Tech, a&m need them. Heck, you could say that OU and OSU need them. Texas is their hotbed, lose them and it's going to be tough sailing for those squads so Texas gets whatever they want. Nebraska and CU finally told them to shove it. The talent is too great in the SEC, the money is comparable, and the passion is possibly greater. Texas can't just overwhelm these programs with it's advantages. I also don't think the Big 10 is a fit. There would be no relationship to any of those teams and while an occasional OSU/UT matchup would be cool... it doesn't have longevity. These teams are nothing alike. Even with the Pac 10, I don't see it as Texas' end all stop. I see them chasing the $$$$. At the same time, they would be sacrificing control to do it and I don't think they're willing to do that.

The long term prognosis is that Texas wants the big 12 to work. It wants to make all the money hence the Lonestar network or whatever the hell. It wants to be the crown jewel. Those are defining characteristics of UT which will always keep them on the move. Pac 10 could still happen but I definitely see them trying to "swoop in" and be the hero for the Mizzou's and KU's of the world while getting their own network. I wouldn't be surprised to see some Notre Dame offer where ND is allowed to keep their TV contract or some characteristics of their independent status.

Agreed.

I think the B12S minus Baylor and aTm could be intriguing, with an addition of Boise State. How I would love watching UBT having to avoid a brain hemmorage during the RR Rivalry and the smurf turfers every year...

that super pac would have quite a few names. aTmers are quirky, and probably would fit better with the sec. still, i would not count them out of the pac, if the nubs bolt.

Great to see you back LB

ubt loves this idea most of all. first off, the nubs are trying to get away from texas, and that would be a fail. second, he had a lot to say about storied programs that i promptly ignored.

After the way the Texas politicians thumped their chests about the DUTY of the Texas schools to support each other and stick together, do you really think Texas would part ways with aTm? The same goes for okie and okie light. I just think there would be way too much political pressure for them to stay together. You may also be able to argue that the teesips would also want to keep the rivalry with ou going which would essentially tie ut, ou, okie st., and aTm at the hips. Is that fair to say?

First off - I think UT is scared sh*tless right now, and is desperate to find a home. They're worried that the landscape of college football is changing and it's doing so without them. So they're floating all kinds of stuff (SEC, Pac, B10, restructured B12) as possible landing places. I think that the Pac got a taste of what dealing with UT is like, and they backed off the 16-team idea. I could be totally wrong, but that's how I read the tea leaves.
In the end, I really don't care where UT goes, so long as they don't go to the Pac. If they do go to the Pac, I really, really hope they are going alone, and without their entourage.

Your crazy. They think they are Notre Dame lite.

ubt loves this idea most of all. first off, the nubs are trying to get away from texas, and that would be a fail. second, he had a lot to say about storied programs that i promptly ignored.

:lol: on both counts.

Is he of the opinion that the RRS would continue as a non-con game if that happened? I find it very hard to imagine either side wanting to let that go...

And it is good to see the return of the ski boot...

I too think the RRS would be a hard thing for both sides to set down. Attention-gremlins on both sides of the pigskin use it to justify their daily existence.

I truly do not see the horns giving up 35% of their gate sales as a concession to be allowed into the b10. That is a smoke screen to try to arm wrestle more control in their pac10 negotiations. What ultimately plays out is not immediately clear, some pieces of information lacking in the puzzle are:

1. Did NU and Mizzou pledge allegiance, or is it crickets?
2. What did UT and aTm decide today during their meeting?
2. How capable would the B12 be at wooing Utah, TCU, and Boise? They could continue on with two of the three.

Personally, I am amenable to the b12s minus baylor joining us. That conference would have some muscle. It would have perhaps as much interest as the SEC. Plus, I still would have 5 schools within a five hour drive of me that are in-conference ;)

There are a lot of scenarios to play out before this is over.

Lot's of speculation, I have a couple thoughts:

1. CU left for the Pac 10 because it's the right place for them to be. I doubt money was within the top few factors when it came down it.

2. I doubt Texas takes on the SEC. .

:yeahthat: For the long term of the university CU thinks the Pac 10 is better even if a new Big 12 is saved by Texas

I have a feeling the South schools aren't crazy about the time zone difference which is why they are leery of moving to Pac 10.

Texas is probably trying to get some Pac 10 concessions by using the Big Ten and SEC offers.

Colorado was a target from the beginning. Period. There were no ulterior motives. Get Colorado on board. Then the Pac11 can decide who is #12 or #12 thru #16. Getting CU and having NU leave, puts some pressure on Texas and puts the PacX in their best position. But make no mistake, CU was in either way, all along, end of story.

-TV Market
-Economy (Doing much better than Oregon, California, Arizona by the way)
-Growing population
-excellent demographics

I don't care how many games Nebraska wins in 2010, they contribute nothing from the above criteria. The PacX is looking out 10 years. Time for CU fans to look forward. This thing CAN get DONE.

In the last 25 years, exactly 2 PacX teams have played for the national championship - which is double the number from yesterday. Colorado has struggled the last few years, but given the "scandal" and resulting recruiting problems, that was to be expected. It's beyond time to come out of it and start competing at a national level again. Bohn believes that. DiStefano believes that. And even Hawkins believes that. 2010 is time to put up or shut up (i.e. get out). Evans can hit the road along with all the Denver Post naysayers. CU is now very well positioned to take positive steps forward in every way.

JimmyBuff;664116I have a feeling the South schools aren't crazy about the time zone difference which is why they are leery of moving to Pac 10. Texas is probably trying to get some Pac 10 concessions by using the Big Ten and SEC offers. [/QUOTE said:
I have the same take, Jimmy. In the end, Texas knows it cannot stand alone. Their Longhorn Network is not going to be approved no matter where they land; and other membership requirements of the b10 would prevent the Horns from joining on on the basis of greed. However, they might be able to squeeze concessions from the pac-10 if they play the field for the best prom date.

Aggy seems to be the one fighting this the most. The other 4 are resigned to the fact that the pac 16 option is the best but aggy is hoping out for a SEC deal. Gene Stallings (regent), RC Slocum, Bill Bryne (AD) think SEC is the way to go.

Aggy seems to be the one fighting this the most. The other 4 are resigned to the fact that the pac 16 option is the best but aggy is hoping out for a SEC deal. Gene Stallings (regent), RC Slocum, Bill Bryne (AD) think SEC is the way to go.

Yep. Got to remember that A&M is in the Atlantic Gulf Coast region of Texas with its fan base epicenter in the Houston-Beaumont-College Station triangle. Culturally, they've got a lot in common with LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss and Miss State.

If the SEC goes to 14, the 2 they want are Virginia Tech and Texas A&M. These are cultural fits that get them into great media markets (DC & Virginia Beach / Houston).

Back