What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sonny Lubick: An Appreciation

Agree seemed like a class act - strong MWC football up the interstate benefits the state and the Buffs - I (and probably only I) wish the Rams the best - the stronger they are the better for the Buffs

Not just you, cause I hope for the best up in the Fort as well. I hate it when they beat CU, but its the only time of year I cheer against them.

As a fan of CSU football (when they aren't playing the buffs or AF), I am glad to see Sonny go. I think this outcry of injustice from the media and part of the fan base is a joke. Their last three seasons they went 6-6, 4-8, and 3-9 respectively. Does that sound like a program heading in the right direction? I wonder how many of these bitching winers were among the 14k at those last home games? If every one of these whiny a-holes bought a ticket, maybe they wouldn't have to boot the guy, but you can't maintain a D1 program with that kind of anemic support.

I'm sure Sonny's a good guy and all, but this sainthood that is being imposed on him is getting a little ridiculous. Sure he passed over the Miami job to stay at CSU, but Miami was a mess at the time. Doesn't anybody remember this guy lobbying for the Minnesota and USC jobs?

What ticks me off about this is that I think Lubick could quell the outrage if he wanted, but he hasn't made an effort to do so. Meanwhile the AD is getting drug through the mud for doing the best thing for his football program.

Last edited:
As a fan of CSU football (when they aren't playing the buffs or AF), I am glad to see Sonny go. I think this outcry of injustice from the media and part of the fan base is a joke. Their last three seasons they went 6-6, 4-8, and 3-9 respectively. Does that sound like a program heading in the right direction? I wonder how many of these bitching winers were among the 14k at those last home game? If every one of these a-holes bought a ticket, maybe they wouldn't have to boot the guy, but you can't support a D1 program with that kind of anemic support.

I'm sure Sonny's a good guy and all, but this sainthood that is being imposed on him is getting a little ridiculous. Sure he passed over the Miami job to stay at CSU, but Miami was a mess at the time. Doesn't anybody remember this guy lobbying for the Minnesota and USC jobs?

What ticks me off about this is that I think Lubick could quell the outrage if he wanted, but he hasn't made an effort to do so.

Did you, or anyone, listen to his speech this afternoon?

no, I know it's hard to tell from my being on here all day, but I have to work:smile2:

I think if you heard it you would rethink parts of your post. He was offered the Minny job, along with many others that he turned down. While I agree that its time for a change at CSU it is sad day to see Sonny go. He bleeds green and gold and that is very rare in the coaching ranks these days.

I think if you heard it you would rethink parts of your post. He was offered the Minny job, along with many others that he turned down. While I agree that its time for a change at CSU it is sad day to see Sonny go. He bleeds green and gold and that is very rare in the coaching ranks these days.

While I can't definitively say you're wrong about the Minn job, I don't believe that was the case.

Maybe he made comments today that let your AD of the hook, but the on radio yesterday and the paper this morning, he was definitely letting the poor bastard swing.

maybe he can go coach the huskers now so you can maintain your "Sonny Boner".....i got you babe!

seriously though, he is a good guy and did some great things for that university. he will be missed.

While I can't definitively say you're wrong about the Minn job, I don't believe that was the case.

Maybe he made comments today that let your AD of the hook, but the on radio yesterday and the paper this morning, he was definitely letting the poor bastard swing.

Those were the words out of his mouth, I doubt he is lying about it.

Those were the words out of his mouth, I doubt he is lying about it.

How do you know?
Since it is St. Sonny no one will call him out anyway. If it had been Barnett saying he had offers from other schools the local media would only accept that if he had the whole thing on tape.

the trashmouth is an excellent football coach. any guy who can win at the hellhole of a program in fort flatlands is a good coach.

let's all remember a few things, however. trashmouth ACTIVELY AND OPENLY campaigned for both the usc and the ucla jobs when they last came open. he wan't even interviewed and it was widely speculated that it was due to his age. obviously, usc did well with carroll but ucla probably effed up by not going after the trashmouth. before this "insult," the trashmouth was already a bitter effer and very unhappy that he wasn't getting his "due" because of where he coached. getting passed over for ucla pushed him over the final edge of total bitterness. so don't tell me how he had opportunities to go elsewhere and didn't. yeah, he passed some of them up but there were some that he really really wanted and he didn't even get a sniff. he's not the saint some sheep want to make him out to be.

next, remember how he got his trashmouth nickname? a profanity-laced diatribe at midfield at a local reporter after he finally got over and beat CU. all that anger inside of him came tumbling out and he proved what he was all about right there.

next, remember the headspike? i would have benched the mofo for that, but trashmouth patted him on the back for a job well done.

next, remember the marquesha crap, which culminated in him trying to put that guy in the endzone to rub it in CU's faces? that is hardly classy.

next, remember the openly negative recruiting he engaged in when CU was going thru the so-called scandal? he tried very hard to bury the Buffs in-state at that point in time.

i give him his due-- the man can coach. but, i'll never like the guy and i am glad he is going out in an ugly way.

The man spurned The U of all places close to 10 years ago so being offered the Minn job, at least behind the scenes, wouldn't surprise me. He's squeezed more blood out of the few turnips he had up there than anyone else had or will. If he had gone to a major program he'd have kicked some serious ass.

Fact is that Sonny is 70 and he's getting tired. His last few classes were not as good as his first few and his best assistants have departed. He'll likely do fund raising or something for CSU. That program was not even on the map before his arrival. They were as bad as Temple or Rutgers until he came along. For that, I tip my hat to him.

Back