What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Soooo Bronco Mendenhall has interviewed for the CU job....

If you guys do hire him... it will be interesting to see the fan-base attempt to understand some of his past quotes. :lol:

We already saw an article with one about the Book of Macaroni or something.

We just want wins, don't really care what goofball **** he comes up with. Our last good coach was/is also crazy.

Went to "The Book of Mormon." Best musical of the year. But I don't care if we hire a Hari Krishna if she can win!

If we are going to pay good money for a head coach, hopefully it is the assistants as well. If Bronco could bring in a top level OC, then we really could have something. He is a very good defensive coach that is for sure.

I wonder how much of his defensive success is from the fact he is playing 25 year olds versus 19 year olds.

Bronco Mendenhall is extremely religious. To the point where the days before games there is a speaking program where players and coaches are given time to address the crowd with religious topics. It is open to the public. I'm sure you guys will love them and perhaps find comfort in the fireside programs when Coach Mendenhall is still losing to Utah and other decent football teams.

Bronco being our coach would be awesome. I love the 3-3-5 and I believe that is the defense to have in the Pac-12. All Bronco would have to do is hire a real OC and the Buffs should be okay.

BYU might have gone 7-5 this season but they beat some good ones and lost to some good ones. You can say BYU has competed with the Pac-12 schools especially Oregon State and he even beat OU at Jerry World.

I'd say Bronco M is more proven than Butch Jones. He's #1 on my list at this point.

No dear god no. It will finally be time for me to return my CU diploma and start telling people I never attended CU if we hire him

No dear god no. It will finally be time for me to return my CU diploma and start telling people I never attended CU if we hire him

And why is that exactly?

Amazing, some wouldn't be pleased unless we hire Meyer or Saban.

This time 2 years ago we hired a TE coach as our HC. Mendenhall has a career 73-29 record. Night and day difference, Mendenhall would be an awesome upgrade.

My only problem with him so far, is even the mention of him seems to attract Utes.

Nothing new here. You guys have just been looking at coaches we know (Donko, and Gary Anderson).

TopUte posts on another forum I'm on... He's new here. The footing is different around the Buffs, :lol:

As far as Donko goes... I'm indifferent. I actually think he could turn CU around.

The way I look at the PAC12... You have to beat the best to be credible. I would like to see CU strong again.

If Utah can eventually win in this conference... It should be against strong competition.

Bronco Mendenhall is extremely religious. To the point where the days before games there is a speaking program where players and coaches are given time to address the crowd with religious topics. It is open to the public. I'm sure you guys will love them and perhaps find comfort in the fireside programs when Coach Mendenhall is still losing to Utah and other decent football teams.

Puke

Yep, got that right. But the aperture is more than Miles or Saban, I'm holding Bohnhead at his word - "A current HC at a school in a BCS AQ conference.". He goes to Mendenhall and he has failed miserably, BYU does NOT meet his publicly stated criteria. - oh, and as you like to say, **** you! :thumbsup:

C'mon, you're better than this Hotrack. The only candidate that has really gone public is Butch Jones who meets the criteria. We may have been snubbed by Strong (but we don't know) who meets the criteria and Anderson (who does not), but we don't know.

We have no credible insight (unless I've forgotten what happened in the beginning of this thread) regarding offers/rejection/interest regarding Coach Mendenhall.

I was disappointed by the Embree hire at the time. Something tells me that Bohn gets this one right (even if it takes us two or more years to realize it).

I think Mendenhall is a very good coach. His defenses are great and BYU plays a much tougher schedule than any other "mid-major" program out there, which means he's much more used to playing top schools than Dykes, DeRuyter, Andersen, etc. I'd even go so far as to say BYU plays tougher year-in and year-out competition than Louisville or Cincinnati, even though they're "BC$" schools.

BUT, it's not without risks, imo. First, while people definitely have pointed out the difficulty in bringing kids into BYU, there is also the flip side. There are very good LDS athletes who only want to go to BYU - kinda like the Fuskers used to be able to get kids to walk on there who could have been on schollies elsewhere. Recruiting to BYU is a different animal both pro and con, and it would remain be seen if be could recruit effectively to a school like CU. Secondly, as other folks have pointed out, BYU is always top-loaded with guys in their early 20s, not teens. While the idea is to not have to play 18 year old kids, you are always going to be having to play kids who are 19, 20, 21 years old. Is Bronco going to be able to duplicate his success with kids who are by definition not as mature? (I will say one thing - I coach youth basketball. I had a team last year with 5 8th grade Mormon kids on it - absolutely the hard-working, most respectful, most coachable team I've ever had. I'm not one for sweeping generalizations, but I did wonder about the connection.)

I think the fact that he is Mormon is a non-starter. Colorado has a lot of LDS folks, and while Boulder probably doesn't have many LDS churches, I don't imagine that he's going to have a lot of trouble. I could be wrong, but I would venture a guess that he would probably tailor his personality a bit to reflect the fact that he's at a public school. He coached at UNM, right? So he has an idea of how to navigate that.

I think I like this more than Jones, it brings the opportunity to bring in an offensive guy like Stitt, and he is a western guy. But like I said, bringing him in is no way a slam-dunk.

i wasn't too plussed by this at first, but am warming up to it. it does fit the CU sports maximum drama theory i'm working on....i guess the scenario i'd like to avoid and would be the case with a potential Calhoun hire is...if we make a hire and are left with the unanswerable question.....why didn't we just hire this guy two years ago?

i like bringing in an established HC for the first interview....gives Bohn a little tilt interviewing the subsequent guys. but, as always, we'll see...

Can't hate on this choice. AZ is denying we interviewed him or that he is under consideration.

Can't hate on this choice. AZ is denying we interviewed him or that he is under consideration.

AZ is building his case that Bohn locked onto one guy the same as with the Hawkins hire. He's being very transparent.

Nothing against Mendenhall, I do think he's a alright coach, but being the head coach at BYU is massively different than being the head coach at any other university. Most of your kids come in 2 years older, and of the same super strict religion. (go look up BYU's honor code sometime).

Poor AZ. About to be out of the loop.

Exactly the feeling I am getting. Feels like Bohn is running this one and is playing his hand close. Perhaps running things like a true AD should. The Bronco hire would leave less "why" type questions due to his record. Jones would be a pretty big east coast name. I still think Bronco is the better option of those two. I am still holding out for strong tho.

Nothing against Mendenhall, I do think he's a alright coach, but being the head coach at BYU is massively different than being the head coach at any other university. Most of your kids come in 2 years older, and of the same super strict religion. (go look up BYU's honor code sometime).

I think you could say that coaching at BYU is a little like coaching at a service academy (for different reasons) - there are pros and cons that are just different than anywhere else. I'm not a big fan of hiring guys away from the service academies, so I am not sure I'm not against this.

Back