What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Soooo Bronco Mendenhall has interviewed for the CU job....

1st of all from what we have heard I highly doubt Bronco is his 1st choice. But at the same time I think he is really worth a look. He turned around BYU, has a good past as a DC and has been HC for 8 years or so. I could certainly see why Bohn would talk with him.

P.S. Just found this post about Mendenhall and why he might consider CU.
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/55382365-88/mendenhall-coach-byu-captain.html.csp

Doesn't sound like a bad choice, but I'm getting some flashbacks re: starting bad QBs and assistant unrest doesn't bode well.
"It’s one thing for Mendenhall to crack on BYU fans, saying the level of their criticism is equal to their education. It’s another for him to make stupid decisions. That’s been a problem for him this season, and in seasons past, from his decision to go for two at Boise State to tying his team’s fate to a mediocre quarterback. Even his assistants have criticized some of his moves."

No offense but would a Mormon HC be a good fit in Boulder ?

If you substituted "black" for "mormon", you'd be in a world of ****. Just sayin.

Wins are wins. I'd hire a Kenyan Medicine Man who sacrifices goats if it meant we'd play in a bowl game next year. If the guy wants to come here with his wives, who are we to judge?

If you substituted "black" for "mormon", you'd be in a world of ****. Just sayin.

Wins are wins. I'd hire a Kenyan Medicine Man who sacrifices goats if it meant we'd play in a bowl game next year. If the guy wants to come here with his wives, who are we to judge?

All the potential coaches should sacrifice a goat during the interview just on general principle. Call it an audition for season openers. No more slow starts.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

I have been pushing Bronco in the chat room.

He's a former Beaver who would definetly know the Pac-12 pretty well. I don't think any other coach that has been discussed knows the Pac-12 better than Bronco. He has beaten the likes of Oregon State and Washington State. Heck, he even beat OU in Dallas.

BYU is limited in who they can recruit but they have been successful for a long time. Even they are the only BCS Buster to win a NC and a Heisman. The MWC has held their own against the Pac-10 schools for awhile so I wouldn't dismiss a coach like Bronco.

Bronco might be a better fit, at least from a recruiting stand point. Also, prob cheaper than Joneses.

Bronco might be a better fit, at least from a recruiting stand point. Also, prob cheaper than Joneses.

I don't think Bronco would be as stupid as Hawkins when it comes to Texas.

He would also understand Poly players as well so he might have that connection. in the case we dont' have Tui or Carbal coming back, this might not be a bad thing.

The more I think about Bronco, the more I like him.

Deruyter or Macintyre + new facilities is fine by me.

I think both Jones and Mendenhall are great football coaches strictly speaking, but could also potentially be colossal busts in Boulder. Jones seems like a great motivator, but he's seems a bit shifty and blathers during interviews (somewhat reminiscent of Hawkins). Mendenhall is a dick/weirdo that apparently played favorites with a crappy QB (also somewhat reminiscent of Hawkins).

Deruyter and Macintyre suffer from lack of (BCS) experience, but I like how they sound during their interviews -straight talk. Get them the right assistants, institutional support, and facilities and use the extra $$ (not hiring Jones) for strippers!

I don't think Bronco would be as stupid as Hawkins when it comes to Texas.

He would also understand Poly players as well so he might have that connection. in the case we dont' have Tui or Carbal coming back, this might not be a bad thing.

The more I think about Bronco, the more I like him.

Concur. Instant rivalry w/ the UTES then. Especially if he can start pulling away all the recruits out of Utah. Cali and Texas are most important of course. Will have to keep to home talent HOME as well.

Deruyter or Macintyre + new facilities is fine by me.

I think both Jones and Mendenhall are great football coaches strictly speaking, but could also potentially be colossal busts in Boulder. Jones seems like a great motivator, but he's seems a bit shifty and blathers during interviews (somewhat reminiscent of Hawkins). Mendenhall is a dick/weirdo that apparently played favorites with a crappy QB (also somewhat reminiscent of Hawkins).

Deruyter and Macintyre suffer from lack of (BCS) experience, but I like how they sound during their interviews -straight talk. Get them the right assistants, institutional support, and facilities and use the extra $$ (not hiring Jones) for strippers!

We have had nice coaches in Hawkins and Embree...time to hire a coach who isn't as nice as those two.

Concur. Instant rivalry w/ the UTES then. Especially if he can start pulling away all the recruits out of Utah. Cali and Texas are most important of course. Will have to keep to home talent HOME as well.

Who knows about keeping the CO kids at home? I don't know how BYU has recruited CO kids over the years.

Utah has supplied quite a few good players of late so we need to be able to recruit in Utah in addition to TX, AZ, WA, and CA.

If we can hire a black man to be coach at CU, we surely can hire a Mormon to be coach.

I feel more comfortable with Bronco over Jones & DeRuyter but I can settle for DeRuyter.

Who knows about keeping the CO kids at home? I don't know how BYU has recruited CO kids over the years.

Utah has supplied quite a few good players of late so we need to be able to recruit in Utah in addition to TX, AZ, WA, and CA.

If we can hire a black man to be coach at CU, we surely can hire a Mormon to be coach.

I feel more comfortable with Bronco over Jones & DeRuyter but I can settle for DeRuyter.

All this Bronco love from the guy who wanted us in the MWC during conference re-alignment - color me not impressed by the support for the big BM here.
Excuse me, think I have to go to the head now...

BYU fielding a bunch of 24 yr olds that don't party is a big advantage for Mendenhall. Basically the opposite of our strategy this yr. Let DeRuyter have a crack at fixing the D and get Stitt or some other real OC in to help him.

BYU fielding a bunch of 24 yr olds that don't party is a big advantage for Mendenhall. Basically the opposite of our strategy this yr. Let DeRuyter have a crack at fixing the D and get Stitt or some other real OC in to help him.

I'm not opposed to DeRuyter with Stitt. Reason for me hyping BM is BM has been the HC at BYU for like eight seasons while DeRuyter has been a HC for just one year. I don't think winning at Frenso State is that difficult compared to winning at CU in Boulder.

A lot of those BYU players take two years off for missionaries and being out of football for two years cannot be overlooked. Plus there is constant turnover on the BYU roster as well.

I have said for awhile on this board that CU has to go in a new direction towards success in football in the Pac-12. That requires hiring different coaches than we would usually do in the Big 12.

Is he going to want us to change "****'em up, ****'em up, Go CU!"?

I think he could be a great hire if he really is willing to leave Provo. 10 and 11 win seasons are the real deal, and it could be argued those schedules are tougher than the Big East right now.

I think he could be a great hire if he really is willing to leave Provo. 10 and 11 win seasons are the real deal, and it could be argued those schedules are tougher than the Big East right now.

Cincy played two FCS schools this season. They even lost at Toledo...seriously.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2132/cincinnati-bearcats

BYU lost at Norte Dame by 3 and at BSU by one point. BYU beat Utah State by three points and whipped Georgia Tech in Atlanta.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/252/brigham-young-cougars

Back